Larry Bird

gg

So one of my kids asked me today if i had any "basketball" cards. He said he had some real OLD ones... i asked him who he had... he said he couldnt remember his name but he played for the celtics and had blond curly hair... :shock: When i said, "you mean Larry Bird" he said, "yeah" I thought the other kids would make fun of him for not knowing who he was ...but apparently the other kids didnt know as well!!! WHAT IS THAT ABOUT???? :shock: OY.

disclaimer... i hate the celtics and all new england / boston teams.

What is it about? It's about you being OLD!!!!!!! :lol: Don't feel too bad, so am I.

BTW - the New England teams are doing just fine without you on the bandwagon. Stick to your losing ways - k? Thank you.

What is it about? It's about you being OLD!!!!!!! :lol: Don't feel too bad, so am I.

BTW - the New England teams are doing just fine without you on the bandwagon. Stick to your losing ways - k? Thank you.

aint into the band wagon... i much rather walk ;)

yes i do hate this getting OLD crap! at least i havent started getting mailings from AARP ;)

What grade do you teach again?

If they're kids of course they arn't going to know of him, YET, they arn't history freaks, YET. But eventually they will be, it comes with being a Celtics fan. Ask any of those kids if they are Patriots fans who Curtis Martin started his career with. :wink:

What grade do you teach again?

If they're kids of course they arn't going to know of him, YET, they arn't history freaks, YET. But eventually they will be, it comes with being a Celtics fan. Ask any of those kids if they are Patriots fans who Curtis Martin started his career with. :wink:

they are 6th and 7th graders... I guess my point was ..i didnt think Larry Bird was that long ago :shock: Just because i didnt see Bill Russell play ..i sure the heck knew who he was.

they are 6th and 7th graders... I guess my point was ..i didnt think Larry Bird was that long ago :shock: Just because i didnt see Bill Russell play ..i sure the heck knew who he was.

Getting old? :roll:

Your there. :wink:

To put this in percpective, Bird is on the cusp of being 50 years old, so that's something to think about from a kids percpective.

Also, when I was still in college, Bird was basically breaking down as a player and a shell of what he was. That was the early 1990's, so Bird has been largely irrelevant for over a decade.

When I was 12, or so, I'm sure I considered Carl Yaz of the Red Sox and Reggie Jackson old--both were still playing at high level....

Heck, at that point, I considered anyone over 26 old :lol:

To put this in percpective, Bird is on the cusp of being 50 years old, so that's something to think about from a kids percpective.

Also, when I was still in college, Bird was basically breaking down as a player and a shell of what he was. That was the early 1990's, so Bird has been largely irrelevant for over a decade.

When I was 12, or so, I'm sure I considered Carl Yaz of the Red Sox and Reggie Jackson old--both were still playing at high level....

Oh i understand how their minds work when it comes to age, i guess i was surprised that they had NEVER heard of him. I guess i thought they would have some historical perspective...i told them to go ask their parents about him ;) Also I do live in celtics land so i thought they would have more of a clue.

Although i find that with young people, NBA allegience has little to do weith geography ... it seems that kids these day grab on to one markee player and then they cheer the team that the player is affiliated with :D

Well, I understand your point more, when I realized you're in the Boston area....Sure, kid claims to be an NBA fan, yet doesn't know Bird in Boston?

Growing up a Mets fan, I never saw the 1969 Mets or the 1973 Mets, but even as a 12 year old know eveything about them....I can't imagine any 12 year old that liked the Mets didn't know Seaver, Koosman, ect....

To be the first to attempt to answer your question, I'd say the problem lies with the NBA.

For years and years, the NBA decided it would market it's stars, not as much it's team or the "team concept"....This was basically a sellout to shoe companies, who wanted to exploit "edgy" types like Rodman, Iverson, Shaq, ect.....

So what you have, is kids identify with players--not teams...that's real bad for the NBA.

Also, kids are taking the cue from their elders...

Ever watch Sportcenter and see coaches Like D. Vermeil, Bobby Bowden or Joe Paterno refered to by their correct age?

Everytime a Sports center stoodge mention Bowden, it's "500 year old Bobby Bowden" or "700 year old Joe Paterno".

They are trying to be comical, but subliminally, they are sending the message to kids that their elders are just pawns to be laughed at and humiliated....With that, historical sports icons as young as Bird are seen as anceint and irrelevant in the "now scheme" of things.

I can't imagine, in the 1970's, Sports reporters would refer to coach Wooden of UCLA as "900 year old coach Wooden".

Ah, not so, my friend. When you were in college, I was considered one of those punk kids. And I knew who Larry Bird was. I knew about the Celtics, the Lakers, the Sixers. I was advanced in my sports knowledge. Nothing gave me greater pleasure than watching him break down.

Around these parts, back then, the NBA was hot. It was, probably, king around here, as the Tigers weren't so hot, the NFL hadn't taken off yet, and the Wings were up there, but not winning titles yet.

Then again, if anything else, Detroit is a damn good sports town. We know alot, be it basketball, baseball, football, hockey, wrestling, NASCAR, what have you.

And, I think, as a society, we don't put enough emphasis on youth and beauty... specifically, my youth and beauty :P

I hear that. I'm 31 and Larry Bird was finished by that point. All those back problems his last few year really ruined him a la Mattingly. However, I did get to see him absolutely torch Clyde Drexler and the Blazers, making some of the most incredible shots I have ever seen on a basketball court.

I hear that. I'm 31 and Larry Bird was finished by that point. All those back problems his last few year really ruined him a la Mattingly. However, I did get to see him absolutely torch Clyde Drexler and the Blazers, making some of the most incredible shots I have ever seen on a basketball court.

not for very much longer ;) but yes my point was that kids who live 30 minutes away from the basketball hall of fame and who root for the current celtics ( why..i will never know) should know who Bird is...it is not like he was shooting into a peach basket! OY.

The Mattingly situation is downright sad (in a sports way).....Kicks a$$ with some bad Yankee teams, then just when the team becomes a dynasty, he has to walk away at like 33, or so :x

That would've been amazing to see Mattingly play and get 4 rings (even as a non Yankee fan)....this may sound strange, but all those Yankees titles would've had a much different feel....

BTY, I reiterate my agreement with Green Gal, that the kid from Boston(claiming to be a Celtic fan) should've known Bird....Like I said, it would've been like me not knowing Tom Seaver played for the 1969 and 1973 Mets, when I was 12--then again, Tom played 'til he was like 45, so every one on this board (except the teens) would remember him a bit....

I'm not a NBA fan, but I have one strong memory of Bird, but I don't remember the circumstances real well, because I was pretty young....The Celtics played some NBA team in the 1980's that was not drawing any fans to their games......The Celtics played this team (Atlanta?) in New Orleans or Las Vegas during the regular season and Bird had like a perfect game--over 60 points, didn't miss anything....He was actually hitting shots from weird angles, behind the hoop (must've been his best game ever)....It was insane (televised in CT--maybe in 1984?) and it happened in a non NBA city :shock:

With so much emphasis on individual play and showmanship in the current generation it is not a shock that a young kid does not appreciate or have little recognition of great like Larry Bird.

As R44 says though all the teams I have followed in growing up Jets, Mets, Rangers and to a lesser extent Nets I know thir past players and history - not as a an expert but knowing their past is something I would know as a devoted fan.

A lot of kids nowadays are only interested in the present also-and do not want to bother in the past- another sad reflection of society

Archived