Test results: Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072

leonwash29

GILBERT, Ariz. -- Blood tests show former Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson's blood alcohol level was below the legal limit when he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving June 22, police said Monday.

Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072, under the presumptive limit in Arizona of .08 percent, Gilbert police Sgt. Andrew Duncan said. No charges have been filed pending results of a completed investigation, and Duncan declined further comment.

Johnson, whose legal name is Terry Darnell Johnson, was arrested when officers pulled him over at 3:30 a.m. for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. Duncan said an officer placed him under arrest because he believed Johnson was under the influence of alcohol. He was released without being booked or charged after providing a blood sample, and police said he was very cooperative.

Johnson, 25, was released by the Chicago Bears three days after his arrest. The team said it was "upset and embarrassed" by the defensive tackle's legal troubles.

Johnson had already had been suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFL season for violating probation on a gun charge. He spent two months in jail and was released in May.

I knew it... he did nothing illegal, got cut for pretty much nothing and the bears are going to regret this because he has changed for the better and will tear up the field after he serves his suspension

I knew it... he did nothing illegal, got cut for pretty much nothing and the bears are going to regret this because he has changed for the better and will tear up the field after he serves his suspension

release kendall, pick up tank. That would be a good week's work, i'm with you on this one.

release kendall, pick up tank. That would be a good week's work, i'm with you on this one.

we should pick him up, ever since he got out of jail and declared himself a changed man he hasnt done anything to mess with that, the character issue is gone with him which might have been a reason we wouldnt pick him up. Why not give him a try, a talented nice sized dt is pretty much all we need besides another o-lineman to be a complete team. I know for a fact we have the cap space.

we should pick him up, ever since he got out of jail and declared himself a changed man he hasnt done anything to mess with that, the character issue is gone with him which might have been a reason we wouldnt pick him up. Why not give him a try, a talented nice sized dt is pretty much all we need besides another o-lineman to be a complete team. I know for a fact we have the cap space.

We should go after him, but there are plenty of teams that have less than D-rob at Tackle who would pay top dollar to get Tank. It's too bad, i think he'd be an excellent RDE, in all likelyhood we won't get it.

I'd be willing to bet the Jets won't even be mentioned in the Tank Johnson Sweepstakes.

Lets not get our hopes up... Just like A.Thomas, R.Moss, N.Clements... We are not going after the big name players. We got T.Jones from the Bears I really dont think we will go after another big name FA. I mean it would be nice if we did, but is he a true NT? Or is he a 4-3 Lineman? All I know is if we were 2 sign Johnson I would love for the Jets to run a 4-3 also... Because Robertson is no bum, and that would be a great D-Line with Ellis in the mix.

But I dont think we sign him, I see a team like the Steelers going after him.

I'd be willing to bet the Jets won't even be mentioned in the Tank Johnson Sweepstakes.

i know right.. us getting a big named player from free agency? thats unheard of.. besides the ONE time we tried it which was another defensive player, Ty Law and look how that turned out... led the nfl in int's

i know right.. us getting a big named player from free agency? thats unheard of.. besides the ONE time we tried it which was another defensive player, Ty Law and look how that turned out... led the nfl in int's]

Yea, he may of made 10 INTS... But he also had so many flags called on him Aka "The TY Law Rule" I would much rather have a young Tank than an old Ty... But I know what you mean, if we roll the dice, good things could happen.

But lets not forget... Thomas Jones was a HUGE Pickup... But it was through a trade

we have the cap room we have t. jones a former teamate which would help him be more comfortable and we also have the right coaching discepline to keep him out of trouble... who wouldnt want to join a team with a very bright future and with an excellent coach

http://www.madd.org/chapter/0400_8948

Title 28 - 1381.A1: Driving under the Influence

ARS 28-1381

It is unlawful for a person to drive or be in actual physical control of a vehicle in this state under any of the following circumstances:

- While under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, a vapor releasing substance containing a toxic substance, or any combination of liquor, drugs or vapor releasing substances if the person is impaired to the slightest degree.

Just because he wasnt over the .08 limit, he was still driving impaired. Will he get convicted?? Probably not, but its not like he was at a .01 he was barely not legally drunk.

He is still a schmuck to be driving around in that condition KNOWING he was on his last chance. Lack of maturity. He is the wrong fit for this team.

we have the cap room we have t. jones a former teamate which would help him be more comfortable and we also have the right coaching discepline to keep him out of trouble... who wouldnt want to join a team with a very bright future and with an excellent coach

He's suspended for the first 8 games of the season. What kind of contract would he be offered? 1 year at the minimum with incentives?

If I were a Jets fan I wouldn't him on the team.

who really cares.. just because your under the radar you cant live life??

is it illegal for a man of age to have a little alcohol in his system?? yes. is it legal for a man to chose to drive whenever he wants?? yes. and who actually goes 20 mph on roads?? nobody.

is it illegal for a man of age to have a little alcohol in his system?? yes. is it legal for a man to chose to drive whenever he wants?? yes. and who actually goes 20 mph on roads?? nobody.

If it was 3:30 in the afternoon he may have not been pulled over for doing 40 in a 25. Unfortunately for him it was 3:30 in the morning.

i dont see what the big deal is... if anybody has the right to drive whenever they want why cant 1 player in the nfl do it

I think you are missing the point. He was very close to the legal limit but still made the decision to drive, and speed, at 3:30 in the morning.

Serves him right that he got pulled over.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=217728

Johnson said he was man enough to accept whatever punishment Goodell doled out. He added that one day he wanted to be "the face of the league for guys who have come through adversity" and that ultimately he wanted to be the NFL's Man of the Year, an honor awarded for citizenship. We'll see how that turns out.

No Tank Johnson cannot "live life" if he wants to continue playing football in the NFL. The NFL has a limited amount of opportunities. He isnt a lawyer or doctor, he's an athlete in a closed system where the employers have the last say on where you pursue your profession. Or if you can continue to pursue it.

He was suspended 8 games with the possibility to have it reduced to 6 if he avoided run-ins with law enforcement and followed the rules for his suspension. He was caught driving over the speed limit at 3:30am WHILE being a few thousanths away from a DUI. He can still be charged with being impaired. Just because you say people cant drive 25 has no bearing in this. He should have never been there to begin with.

If he gave a rats ass about his team and career he would have been home in bed by 10pm. No drinking. No guns. No being out till 3:30am. If a guy cares this little about his team and his career, why in the world would the Jets want him???

This occured less than a month after he said he wanted the NFL Man of the Year award. Thats some dedication to turning your life around.

Does he deserve a second chance? Yeah... and a third. I just dont want him on my team.

i dont see what the big deal is... if anybody has the right to drive whenever they want why cant 1 player in the nfl do it

He can drive at 3:30am just like everyone else. The biggest difference is he is an athlete in the NFL who is suspended for 8 games and had the opportunity to have it reduced to 6 games IF he just behaved. And he couldnt do it. He couldnt do it for himself. he couldnt do it for his team.

Why would you want this on your team?? He obviouly doesnt care. If he did care he would have been a model citizen.

He's suspended for the first 8 games of the season. What kind of contract would he be offered? 1 year at the minimum with incentives?

If I were a Jets fan I wouldn't him on the team.

What I want to know is do the Pats enter the bidding. Do you as a Pats fan want him on the Pats? Seeing as some of recent Pats FA signings and acquisitions are players towards the low end of the character scale. I think Tank will fit right in. Maybe Tank and Brandon Meriweather can go to the shooting range together for a little target practice. :)

What I want to know is do the Pats enter the bidding. Do you as a Pats fan want him on the Pats? Seeing as some of recent Pats FA signings and acquisitions are players towards the low end of the character scale. I think Tank will fit right in. Maybe Tank and Brandon Meriweather can go to the shooting range together for a little target practice. :)

That was good :) .

Although Meriweather only owns one gun not 300 like Tank!

Alright, I'm pulling out the big guns here (pun intended). What is with the semi-apologist stuff?; or, the flat out apologist stuff?! Not singling anyone out; but I am so SICK of this. I feel ten times dumber even TALKING about it. Ad nauseum. NFL Enabling League. Kick this guy, Pacman, and Vick in their damn asses and make them play for food. Forget about getting convicted or acquitted in a court of law. It's bullsh*t already. The End.

Meriweather needs a something to shoot for...no pun intended.

But seriously.....would you want him on the Patsies?

I would want nothing to do with Tank. The Pats are set on the D-Line anyway.

I would want nothing to do with Tank. The Pats are set on the D-Line anyway.

Tank is less of a risk to damage the team than Moss is...

I dont WANT the JETS to get him... but if they do at the right price...... I wont be mad...

Tank is less of a risk to damage the team than Moss is...

I dont WANT the JETS to get him... but if they do at the right price...... I wont be mad...

Can you please name the time that Moss was found with a crapload of guns and ammunition at his home and when his bodyguard was shot dead?

I know you are a homer but having Tank on the team is not a good idea.

Sometimes I wonder if people really believe that these players are so morally reprehensible for doing these things, or if it's all a hypocritical circle jerk. Now I don't know about you guys, but from my experience, men AND women between the ages of 18-25 are expected to drink and be out into the early morning hours. It's actually odd when someone in that age range isn't doing those things, and actually, even into your late 30s possibly. It's expected that at that time you drive above the speed limit, and actually, that you're at least 10 above at most times (and even that is usually considered a tad slow).

Now have I just been exposed to the wrong people all my life, or are people hiding something? I know even on this site there are times where people post threads about getting wasted and others will chime in and everyone's cool with it, so why is it bad when one of the players does it?

I'm actually curious about this. I personally don't like drinking but will have a few drinks at a party or bar or whatever and then drive without a second thought. As long as you're under the legal limit, I've always been told, there is nothing a cop can do.

Sometimes I wonder if people really believe that these players are so morally reprehensible for doing these things, or if it's all a hypocritical circle jerk. Now I don't know about you guys, but from my experience, men AND women between the ages of 18-25 are expected to drink and be out into the early morning hours. It's actually odd when someone in that age range isn't doing those things, and actually, even into your late 30s possibly. It's expected that at that time you drive above the speed limit, and actually, that you're at least 10 above at most times (and even that is usually considered a tad slow).

Now have I just been exposed to the wrong people all my life, or are people hiding something? I know even on this site there are times where people post threads about getting wasted and others will chime in and everyone's cool with it, so why is it bad when one of the players does it?

I'm actually curious about this. I personally don't like drinking but will have a few drinks at a party or bar or whatever and then drive without a second thought. As long as you're under the legal limit, I've always been told, there is nothing a cop can do.

That's a very good point.

The problem with Tank is that he was already in trouble with the League and decided that having a few drinks and driving at 3:30 in the morning was a good idea.

If he didn't have his prior indiscretions this would be a non-story.

If your career and livelyhood depended on you behaving and following the rules and the laws, would you be out at 3:30am drinking and driving and risking it all just so you can have fun?

I dont care if its morally reprehensible or not... I feel these athletes have a great opportunity in life and they are throwing it away by doing stupid things. If you screw up once, ok. Learn from it. But when you say you want to be a role model for future players who might run into trouble, you look like a complete ass when less than a month later you get into trouble again. He didnt learn his lesson and thats what bothers me. Appreciate the opportunity you have and be thankful Momma gave birth to an athlete.

If your career and livelyhood depended on you behaving and following the rules and the laws, would you be out at 3:30am drinking and driving and risking it all just so you can have fun?

I dont care if its morally reprehensible or not... I feel these athletes have a great opportunity in life and they are throwing it away by doing stupid things. If you screw up once, ok. Learn from it. But when you say you want to be a role model for future players who might run into trouble, you look like a complete ass when less than a month later you get into trouble again. He didnt learn his lesson and thats what bothers me. Appreciate the opportunity you have and be thankful Momma gave birth to an athlete.

Well this is what I mean. There are a lot of celebrities who you would think are more likely to be role models, and more affected by public opinion, but they are strangely impervious to criticism, despite being caught doing much worse: cocaine addictions, selfish attitudes, etc. These people are out doing these types of things every night, and it's part of their image.

Now is it that they're being held to a different standard than normal people, or is this the same standard everyone is held to with say a decent job? Is it based on age? Money? Race or Sex? etc.

What really stinks is this guy has great size, and a great skill set. Before last year's wrap-sheet, Tank is a player we all would have been raving about.

and lets face it, his name is perfect for his position, too. That's like having a RT, named "Blocker", or an OG, last-name, "Mauler"

or a kicker named, "S'good". I could go on and on (and probably will, later) But I have a point to prove.

Is their a way to encorporate a: no guns, no Drinking (and driving), no late-night partying, no-arrest, no staying-up-past-12 clause in one's signing sheet? Cause if so, lets sign this beast.

Archived