Injuries. Part of game or Excuse 101 for fans

SouthernJet

Injuries, part of game..

excuses, part of being too tied to a team

Why can't it be part of the game and an excuse? Timing is everything. When often counts more than who. I don't see how you can spend an eternity arguing the value of a player based on arcane statistics (both futuristic and 1930's varieties) and not consider the "what ifs" of injured players on any given team.

Why can't it be part of the game and an excuse? Timing is everything. When often counts more than who. I don't see how you can spend an eternity arguing the value of a player based on arcane statistics (both futuristic and 1930's varieties) and not consider the "what ifs" of injured players on any given team.

Baseball is a game of 40 man rosters. Not all 40 of those players are at the major league level.

39 and 40 are as important as 1 and 2.

Some unfortunately, only view it as 25 man rosters. That is not the case

Baseball is a game of 40 man rosters. Not all 40 of those players are at the major league level.

39 and 40 are as important as 1 and 2.

Some unfortunately, only view it as 25 man rosters. That is not the case

That's nice and it might be true, but it has no bearing on my comment. Injuries are a part of the game. They are a part of any sport, but it's still valid to discuss them when considering team strengths, etc.

That's nice and it might be true, but it has no bearing on my comment. Injuries are a part of the game. They are a part of any sport, but it's still valid to discuss them when considering team strengths, etc.

Going back to SJ's opening, yes you can talk about them, but just don't excuse the record because of them.

Heck, The Jets may be World Champions if not for injuries in '86 season. But, you know what they weren't.

Ala the ole Bill Parcelss adage-You are what you are.

You are correct, they are valid to talk about in terms of team strength. If your team doesn't win with injuries, you were not strong enough. Goes for any team

I think injuries are a part of the game, but when your team starts losing players in excess then you have a right to bitch and moan. However, that right is invalid if your payroll is more than $200 million dollars.

I mean how well was your team playing before injuries and after? Is it that big of a difference. You have to let things play out the way they are and see where everything stands after that.

Of course, I think I posted this in the wrong thread. ;)

I think injuries are a part of the game, but when your team starts losing players in excess then you have a right to bitch and moan. However, that right is invalid if your payroll is more than $200 million dollars.

I mean how well was your team playing before injuries and after? Is it that big of a difference. You have to let things play out the way they are and see where everything stands after that.

Of course, I think I posted this in the wrong thread. ;)

thast actually a great point about excessive payroll,, theteams that have HUGE payrolls are already ahead of other teams in the chance to have great talent and depth,, so excessive injuries in many cases just levels the playing field for those teams

thast actually a great point about excessive payroll,, theteams that have HUGE payrolls are already ahead of other teams in the chance to have great talent and depth,, so excessive injuries in many cases just levels the playing field for those teams

Totally not true, but w/e floats your boat.

Totally not true, but w/e floats your boat.

I think the point that he's trying to make is that a team with a $200 million payroll should have a deeper bench. When that team loses an all-star, there are other all-stars on the team to help pick up the slack. When a team with only one or two all-stars loses that player, who's there to pick up the slack?

No one.

The fact that the Yankees have such a high payroll and absolutely no bench is asinine.

Going back to SJ's opening, yes you can talk about them, but just don't excuse the record because of them.

Heck, The Jets may be World Champions if not for injuries in '86 season. But, you know what they weren't.

Ala the ole Bill Parcelss adage-You are what you are.

You are correct, they are valid to talk about in terms of team strength. If your team doesn't win with injuries, you were not strong enough. Goes for any team

You're a pretty literal guy, so maybe you should consider the definition of excuse:

According to the American Heritage Dictionary :

tr.v. ex·cused, ex·cus·ing, ex·cus·es

1. To explain (a fault or an offense) in the hope of being forgiven or understood: He arrived late and excused his tardiness in a flimsy manner.
    2. To apologize for (oneself) for an act that could cause offense: She excused herself for being late.
    3. To grant pardon to; forgive: We quickly excused the latecomer.
    4. To make allowance for; overlook: Readers must excuse the author's youth and inexperience. See Synonyms at forgive.
    5. [*]

1. To grant pardon to; forgive: We quickly excused the latecomer.
      2. To make allowance for; overlook: Readers must excuse the author's youth and inexperience. See Synonyms at forgive.

[*]To serve as justification for: Brilliance does not excuse bad manners.

Using those definitions it would seem that injuries could be used to explain a fault, to apologize for or ask forgiveness for a poor season. Seems like exactly what injuries are, an excuse for underperforming.

I think the '86 Jets are a great example. Clearly the class of the league, just at the wrong point in the season. If they didn't lose 3 pro-bowlers on D, (Klecko, Gastineau & Mehl) plus I believe Crable and Bobby Jackson, they might well have been champions. Would you fire the coach because they didn't win with those guys hurt?

I agree completely that you are what you are, but considering that this thread was apparently meant to or has turned into "bash the Yankees because they have a huge payroll and should be able to overcome injuries" everybody can eat me. If you are what you are, well they are all baseball teams, if your team's payroll is low, tough ****, cause I know the owner is making a profit.

I agree completely that you are what you are, but considering that this thread was apparently meant to or has turned into "bash the Yankees because they have a huge payroll and should be overcome injuries" everybody can eat me. If you are what you are, well they are all baseball teams, if your team's payroll is low, tough ****, cause I know the owner is making a profit.

dont speak for me ,, of the mets/yanks/red sox,,only red sox have their moneys worth,,mets are only 2 freakin games up with their huge payroll,,

mets and yanks in same freakin boat

I agree completely that you are what you are, but considering that this thread was apparently meant to or has turned into "bash the Yankees because they have a huge payroll and should be able to overcome injuries" everybody can eat me. If you are what you are, well they are all baseball teams, if your team's payroll is low, tough ****, cause I know the owner is making a profit.

repeat...see above

I think the point that he's trying to make is that a team with a $200 million payroll should have a deeper bench. When that team loses an all-star, there are other all-stars on the team to help pick up the slack. When a team with only one or two all-stars loses that player, who's there to pick up the slack?

No one.

The fact that the Yankees have such a high payroll and absolutely no bench is asinine.

I've been saying that for months. It's another reason the yankees are where they are right now, NOT an excuse.

I've been saying that for months. It's another reason the yankees are where they are right now, NOT an excuse.

I think it is an excuse. It's a weak one, considering that they should have considered the fact that Damon and Giambi are likely casualties in any season and I'm not sold on the choices made for the bench. They did have a lot of pitching injuries early, which I think can legitimately excuse a portion of the slow start.

SJ,not sure why you reposted that with "repeat, see above" I only posted it once. If that wasn't your intent starting this thread fair enough. It's a legit discussion even not mentioning the '07 Yanks.

Thor, lemon pepper? No thanks, can't you just grill me?

I think it is an excuse. It's a weak one, considering that they should have considered the fact that Damon and Giambi are likely casualties in any season and I'm not sold on the choices made for the bench. They did have a lot of pitching injuries early, which I think can legitimately excuse a portion of the slow start.

SJ,not sure why you reposted that with "repeat, see above" I only posted it once. If that wasn't your intent starting this thread fair enough. It's a legit discussion even not mentioning the '07 Yanks.

How is a fundamental flaw of a team like a lack of depth an excuse? It's just a fact...

i posted repeat , ,cause I accidentally did my post twice,, i didnt think the 1st one took,,

How is a fundamental flaw of a team like a lack of depth an excuse? It's just a fact...

Well, if they didn't have the injuries they would have won more games. The early season pitching injuries were well in excess of what any "depth" could have helped. Personally, I don't spend all day making excuses for the Yanks. They've been playing like ****. FWIW, I think they are far from out of it for the year. I resent people telling me that injuries can never be used for an excuse and that I'm can't mention somebody being hurt because of the Yanks salary. As I said, injuries, like statistics are something to discuss.

Interesting topic

I think football injuries and baseball injuries are two totally different animals.

In football if you lose a critical player, you could very well be done for the year since you are only playing 16 games.

If the Pats lost Brady for an extended period if not the season the Pats go from Super Bowl favorties to also-ran. You could probably say the same for guys like Manning, Tomlinson and the such.

The 86 Jets are a good example. When you lose your entire defensive line and your all-pro linebacker you are going to be in alot of trouble. Add the fact that the offense which had been so explosive the first eleven games started struggling as well.

An even better example are the 99 Jets. If you were at that game and when word started trickling out that he was done for the season you knew the Jets had just went from a Super Bowl favorite to a team that would struggle to make the playoffs. He was that important.

In Baseball you have 162 games and losing one guy for an extended period even two guys should not really cripple you. The Yanks showed that last year when the lost Matsui and Sheffield for most of the season.

The biggest difference is this in my eyes...

The truely great teams are able to work their way through the injuries. You can have teams that everything breaks right for them in the way of health, bounce of the ball but they may not be great.

The really great teams though, the ones that people will talk about long after they are done are able to work their ways through adversity and come out on top.

Well back to vacation. ;)

Archived