The Brad Smith experiment

4HCrew

I am not quite sure what the Jets are doing with Smith. Do they think he realistically can be a starting qb in the future? or is he better than Clemens as a backup? (if so that is a major problem) Unless this guy is a legitimate option at the qb position does this experiment not hinder his development as a wr? I understand they want him to play everywhere but should he not try to be great at one position?

Solid questions, 4H. I am not privy to what the CS is thinking, but here's my take:

I am not quite sure what the Jets are doing with Smith.

I think they are building on what they did with him last season: putting a package in place with him at QB for situations that will keep the defense off-balance, and use the Smith QB package as an added dimension to the offense.

Do they think he realistically can be a starting qb in the future?

As of now, I doubt it. He has a very long way to go until he can be considered as an every down QB.

or is he better than Clemens as a backup? (if so that is a major problem)

He brings things to the table that are different from what an ordinary backup would do. I do not think he is better than Clemens as a backup; he is different, and the more they use his package, the more it forces opposing D's to gameplan for it. He is not looking very good as a passer. His greatest skill is running out of the pocket for yardage after the WRs clear out the DBs.

Unless this guy is a legitimate option at the qb position does this experiment not hinder his development as a wr?

With Coles, Cotch, and McCairens, it is difficult to break into the WR lineup. I give them credit for maximizing his playmaking abilities rather than keeping him on limited time behind three established receivers.

I understand they want him to play everywhere but should he not try to be great at one position?

The guy is playmaker, and the CS should get credit for trying to put him in a position where he can use his versatility to make plays for the team.

Agreed on all points. I see being the 3rd quarterback...and then freeing up another roster spot, since they wouldn't need to have Tui.

Of course, the real upset will be if Clemens ends up playing himself out of contention, and Tui outplays him and takes over as the #2. I wouldnt rule that out just yet.

but is this guy always going to be a gadget guy? shouldn't he become a much more polished wr in case someone gets hurt or is Stuckey already the answer there? I understand the thought process but would like to see this guy be able to consistently play not to just throw off defenses

but is this guy always going to be a gadget guy? shouldn't he become a much more polished wr in case someone gets hurt or is Stuckey already the answer there? I understand the thought process but would like to see this guy be able to consistently play not to just throw off defenses

I dont think he is worried about getting polished as a WR right now, and he is getting work as the #4 WR (maybe #5 if Stuckey overtakes him).

Remember, coming out of college, he said he wanted to be a QB, but his agent got him to say he'd be happy as a WR when the Jets drafted him. So, I bet he is happy as all heck getting this opportunity, and is confident about stepping in as a full time WR if thats how it ends up. If one of the top 3 WRs went down with an injury for a couple of games, I bet he'd be getting more work at WR in practice.

It's just a bit of thinking outside the box.

How is his arm-strength?

If Brad Smith can throw a decent bomb, there are times in a game when you just need to get playmakers out on the field.

I wouldn't mind seeing an offense with: Coles, Cotch, Jmac, Stuckey, (maybe even) Justin Miller in a 5-WR set; with Brad Smith manning the QB spot. That's kinda scary from a D-coordinator standpoint.

not disagreeing with you Jetcane as the more he is on the field the better..just do not want to see him ok at some things and not really developing at any. For some reason I can see Coles and J Mac gone next year so thinking he could be a solid replacement for J Mac

How is his arm-strength?

If Brad Smith can throw a decent bomb, there are times in a game when you just need to get playmakers out on the field.

I wouldn't mind seeing an offense with: Coles, Cotch, Jmac, Stuckey, (maybe even) Justin Miller in a 5-WR set; with Brad Smith manning the QB spot. That's kinda scary from a D-coordinator standpoint.

I havent really seen him air it out, but I can tell you he is not particularly accurate. If a Hail Mary had to be thrwon, I'd put Tui in there.

4H, I hear you, but next year is a long way off right now.

Solid questions, 4H. I am not privy to what the CS is thinking, but here's my take:

I think they are building on what they did with him last season: putting a package in place with him at QB for situations that will keep the defense off-balance, and use the Smith QB package as an added dimension to the offense.

As of now, I doubt it. He has a very long way to go until he can be considered as an every down QB.

He brings things to the table that are different from what an ordinary backup would do. I do not think he is better than Clemens as a backup; he is different, and the more they use his package, the more it forces opposing D's to gameplan for it. He is not looking very good as a passer. His greatest skill is running out of the pocket for yardage after the WRs clear out the DBs.

With Coles, Cotch, and McCairens, it is difficult to break into the WR lineup. I give them credit for maximizing his playmaking abilities rather than keeping him on limited time behind three established receivers.

The guy is playmaker, and the CS should get credit for trying to put him in a position where he can use his versatility to make plays for the team.

Maybe they want a draft pick or some other player from the Falcons?

How is his arm-strength?

Substitute Leon with Miller and you have a very scary look. So many options with that formation. The D would be forced to use a multiple DB set. Aside from J-mac, all of those players are capable of beating most DBs in one on one sits. IMO Miller has enough on his plate to worry with offense at this juncture. Maybe down the road. I like your idea, nonetheless.

Cotch JMac Stuckey LT/LG/CENTER\RG\RT Washington Coles

Smith

It would be fun to see this formation when least expected (i.e. opening drive of game or 2nd half). So many things to worry about (Stuckey or Leon in motion to run option w/ Smith, etc.) that a D would likely waste a TO right from the get go.

I also would like B Smith as a full time receiver, to hone the skills he has at WR to finer point. He is hella fast and runs good routes, and he has good hands. With him at QB he is going to be a Kordell Stewart type who will get the trick plays, untill teams get his number.

There are only 2 reasons why this would be happening.

Either Manigini doesn't like what the QB situation looks like and think Brad Smith can help it.

or...

He doesn't like what Smith is doing @ WR and is so unhappy with him he is having him play the only position he feels he might be able to contribute at.

Now both of them bother me. I just hope he can find something he can do and do it well. He is one hell of an athlete and hopefully he will turn into a poor mans Randel El...which isn't saying much anyway.

I mean would he hinder Brad Smiths progress @ WR just to put a fire under a back up Qb? I doubt it.

I posted this in the other Smith thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brad Smith is the second best QB on the roster after Pennington. He was a helluva QB at Missouri. He can run, throw and make good reads.

I don't know why some fans on this site are so concerned with Brad Smith's development as a receiver. Jets already have two very good receivers in Coles and Cotchery. QB is a much bigger need for us with Pennington probably on his way out in a year or two.

I think the whole "B. Smith shouldn't play QB" movement is the same guys who thought Clemens was the real deal at QB. They don't want to see a guy who was originally supposed to be a wr beat out Clemens in camp.

They're simply trying to sharpen his passing skills, so instead of the entire league knowing he'll just run the ball when he lines up behind center this season, he might actually throw it. It might continue the great running success he had last year into this upcoming season if teams dont know whether he'll pass it or not.

IMO

And I dont think he is of any threat to ever be a fulltime Quarterback. He's a terrible passer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brad Smith is the second best QB on the roster after Pennington. He was a helluva QB at Missouri. He can run, throw and make good reads.

I don't know why some fans on this site are so concerned with Brad Smith's development as a receiver. Jets already have two very good receivers in Coles and Cotchery. QB is a much bigger need for us with Pennington probably on his way out in a year or two.

I think the whole "B. Smith shouldn't play QB" movement is the same guys who thought Clemens was the real deal at QB. They don't want to see a guy who was originally supposed to be a wr beat out Clemens in camp.

I havent seen much of Clemens to have an opinion on his QB talents, if B Smith is better then so be it I say. I just liked what i saw from Smith as a wideout, and could see him being a very solid WR in the near future. Coles and Cotch are very good recievers -yes, but we dont want the D keying off the same two guys who are always getting the ball. Id like to see more top notch WRs for the D to worry about also. That way if they double team Coles or Cotch, it isnt obvious as to who Chads gonna check to next.

As a QB, Smith is a weapon as well, but more as a gimmick play guy than a straight QB. I dont mind the occasional gimmick/what- the- hell -just- happened play by any means, but that may lead to loss of yards if used too frequently. This team is building to be a very efficient methodical scoring machine, as well as a smashmouth running attack. I just dont want that to change untill its perfected is all.

Smith playing Quarterback gives him more knowledge to the offense as a whole and also with each practice time at Quarterback it gives the Jets the option of carrying just 2 "Quarterbacks" on the roster with Pennington & Clemens and having Smith being the emergency 3rd, ala New England.

When all is said and done I think Brad Smith is going to turn out to be another Randle El. A guy who can do it all. Return kicks, play receiver and make a few big plays each season, play some quarterback and will also be a guy who will have a big target on his chest each and every time he is on the field, drawing defenders away from the starters.

Cotch JMac Stuckey LT/LG/CENTER\RG\RT Washington Coles

Smith

i think your timing would be good, and it would almost definatly burn a timeout. Personally, i think the formation that would really cause trouble would be the three wide (cotch, coles, J-mac) and duel RB in Jones and LW. All five can catch (jones is so-so i guess) and all five bring great athleticism.

of course, this is keeping Penny in, and sort of getting away from the topic, but that's my two cents.

They may feel he has more long-term value to the team as a jack-of-all-trades than as a receiver who may not run the best routes or have the best hands. If they don't think he will be able to "get it" more than as a marginal WR, then they're doing the right thing: finding any excuse to get the ball in this kid's hands. Otherwise he won't see the ball other than 3-WR sets when the first couple of options are covered & the OL is giving Chad/other an 8-second pocket.

"He's such a change-of-pace-type player that other teams are going to have to prepare because you're not limited to saying Brad has to get five plays in a row," Mangini said. "Now, at any given point you can say, 'Brad, go in and run this play.'"

That pretty much confirms to me that he is more of a situational player for whom they are putting in a package of plays. He is not a threat to Clemens to become the #2 QB. If anyone is going to push KC for the backup spot it will be Tui.

Archived