TC Report 8/14

JetCane

Hey Now

The Jets had a marathon practice in full pads today, on the grass field.

Following the warmups came the combine drills, which lasted for a longer period of time than usual.

The team then went into 7 on 7s; I didnt see Hobson on the field, and Spencer took the reps with the first team. Hobson first appeared to me on the field about a half hour into the session.

Following the 7s, they went to KO practice, with major emphasis on the wedge blocking for the returner. Barnes drew Westhoff's wrath early on, and was yanked. Harris was back on the front line blockers, but on the opposite side of the field from where he was last week when Westhoff dressed him down.

Westhoff's attention to detail is obvious, and when done correctly the blocking assignments open the lane for the Justin Millers and Leon Washingtons to make the long returns that have us jumping out of our seat.

But is starts with the unsung guys, and that is who Westhoff worked hard today. Pouha and Schlegal got extensive reps on the wedge.

They then went to 11 on 11s (you know that is coming when Shottie starts yelling "Eleven! Eleven!") and both QBs moved the offense into the end zone today. CP connected on a pretty 20-25 yard "in" pattern to either #15 or #16, I'm not sure who, as my view was blocked.

Clemens also moved the team downfield and scored from the 10 on a beautiful play action pass to Ryan. Clemens' ball handling has definitely improved, most likely under the tutelage of Pennington.

Westhoff then worked the punt team again, punting from deep in their territory, which major emphasis on the LOS assignments. Today he had Harris rushing the punter from an inside position. Ihedigbo (hereafter known as "Iggy") and Manny Collins got plenty of reps with the punt ST.

Graham is solid, and not much more needs to be said about him in tc.

They then broke off into units and worked on fundamentals. I watched the LBs working on pass coverage and reversing field after a hypothetical interception caused them to change roles and become blockers.

After extensive individual unit work, players donned the different colored jerseys, and the coaches instructed as to the schemes the next opponent would run. This was an interesting segment, as the coaches held up diagrams so the players could see the plays/schemes they would run as scout team.

A decent amount of time was spent in small groups practicing the opponents tendencies. Then, the first team offense went up against the scout defense, followed by the first team defense going up against the scout offense. Ratliff and Tui switched off running the scout offense.

On one play against the scout defense, 10 connected with a beautiful 30 yard pass to 81 for a TD. Iggy, getting reps agianst the scout team, picked off Ratliff on a nice int while falling down. Unheralded rookie WR Evan Prall made a pretty catch against double coverage by Barrett and Rhodes, drawing a pat on his helmet from each of them.

After extensive work against the scout teams, they went back into the final set of 11s. Chad moved the team into FG range in four plays on the strength of spreading it around to 81, 87 (twice) and 89.

The defense then stuffed the second team, and the coaches mercifully called an end to the marathon practice at 4:30.

Notes

-TJ stayed on the bike and his leg was wrapped today.

-Miller and Kowalewski both started jogging today, a good sign they are getting close to getting back on the field.

-Tutt still had the boot on, and Smith still looks uncomfortable.

-Coleman didnt jog, but doesnt look to be too far away from returning.

-Kendall looks to be the second team center, his contract situation notwithstanding. He also got some reps with the first team at LG.

-Bender working as the second team LG.

-Based on the reps, expect to see Hollings get a look at RB Friday night. Ware and Leon got the bulk of the carries today. Banks' stock seems to be slipping, unless his reps on the scout team wake him up.

-If Schlegal makes the team, being a favorite of Westhoff will be the difference for him.

-Frisman had a good practice today, catching a few and running crisp patterns.

Cool moment of the day

I was wearing my Canes cap with the U on it today. During the warmups, Vilma was jogging across the field towards me. From about 20 yards away, it looked to me as though he was looking right at me. I pointed at him with the "you're da man" gesture, and he immediately pointed right back at me.

:P

Correction

Yesterday I listed the OL first and second team, and named nine out of ten correctly. The second team, which was in effect today too, is Jones at LT, Bender at LG, Kendall at C, Wade Smith at RG and Goddard at RT.

I mistakenly stated that Missant was at RG.

i will take my lap now.

I was commenting about how Vilma just doesn't seem like a UM alumni JC-he's too well spoken

First of all, frank Gore, who you compared him to, has a severe learning disability, so that is an unfair comparison. Also, Miami has had a very high graduation rate the past few years- in the top ten per cent of Div 1A football teams. That is all.

;)

First of all, frank Gore, who you compared him to, has a severe learning disability, so that is an unfair comparison. Also, Miami has had a very high graduation rate the past few years- in the top ten per cent of Div 1A football teams. That is all.

;)

well now don't I feel like a friggin idiot-he didn't seem thuggish at all though-and he was saying he is putting his injury in God's hands-I like that kind of stuff-(sorry God I didn't mean any bad there)

Rather than start another thread, I hope Jetcane doesn't mind me adding my observations from today... not as good as Jc's stuff, but for what it's worth...

Practice in full pads went just a bit longer than 2 1/2 hours. Where to start... the infirmary, I suppose. No less than 7 players were on the bikes today. The players I could identify: Miller, Jones, E Smith, D Coleman, Kowalewski and Tutt. Couldn't make out who the seventh player was. At one point I saw Miller and Kowalewski taking a slow jog. Miller seemed to have a very slight limp.

Rhodes had a solid day, two INT's at least, and one was a juggling, falling to the ground type...tough play, but he held on. Barrett got victimised a couple times, once early in practice, where F Jackson found a seam and got behind Barrett for a long TD thrown by Clemens. Later Stuckey out jumped Barrett for a ball making a nice catch, and I beleive it was Coles who burnt him deep in the late 11 on 11's. He did have one moment of revenge, stepping in fron of a WR on an out pattern which would have gone for a TD off of Clemens.

Poteat seemed to have a very good day, breaking up all sorts of pass plays. R Washington also made some nice plays today, as it seems he is using the most of the snaps he gets with Smith riding the bike.

Stuckey's hands are stooopid good. However, I did see him drop one today that was catchable, althouhg it wasn't an easy catch. He also burnt Barrett over the middle with a move that sent Barrett's socks going one way, and his shoes in another. That would have been good for a TD as well.

Clemens is definitely entrenched as the #2, but he's still making too many mistakes. On one play in the 11 on 11's, he threw an out, while the WR turned over the middle. Mangini was pointing at him, indicating it was his fault. That early TD pass to Jackson was a pretty pass. He shows flashes, but needs to be more consistant with his reads. He and I think it was Ware took a lap for a botched handoff, and Tui followed that on the next play with another fumbled handoff. They brought Penny in from the other end of the field after that... I was waiting for the entire O to get a lap.

News Flash: Pennington under throws a wide open Cotchery down the left sideline that should have been a TD. Cotchery reacted, went over the DB 's (not sure which two) and came down with the ball for a 40 yard or so gain. Coles and Cotch, and the rest of this WR corp I feel very good about. They have to find a way to keep both Stuckey and Frisman Jackson.

Looks like the Wade Smith at center experiment is over. Kendall was at center with the 2's, and they are giving Vilani tons of snaps, I'm guessing in the hopes he can be our backup center at some point. Kendall got no time with the 1's as far as I could tell. Adrian Jones was getting snaps with the second team at RT today. OL Coach Wise spends a lot of time with Bender. They see something they really like in this rookie it would seem. Wise also had a lot of one on one ciaching with #64.... I am guessing that is the new O lineman they just signed, Stanley Daniels, who later unceremoniously took a lap. 64 was Wicker's old number.

Got a bit worried when Leon was slow to get up... but he seemed OK. Ware is definitely ahead of Banks now, and he took snaps with the 1's and 2's today. Sean Ryan is getting a lot of time with the 1's as well, but he seemed to have turned an ankle, not too badly, but I don't think he went back in in the late 11 on 11's.

Today's 11 on 11's were mostly the 2nd and thrid teamers. Penny and Clemens watched until the very late 2 minute drills. Looks like they are getting as much info as they can before making roster cutdown decisions. Wadsworth was out there... and also took a lap. Haynes has zero bullrush ability. He's a pure speed rusher. Here's a head scratcher... saw Bryan Thomas at DE in the 3-4 today. I know some don't agree, but whenever I key on Pouha, he plays well. Hicks is hard to even notice... at least for me.

;)

I had heard that about Miami recently.

When i was in High School, many moons ago, the joke was that you went to

Miami if you wanted to be a trapeze artist, lion tamer or swimmer among others.

Good stuff, T-Bird!

I am thinking I saw you there today, based on your description of yourself last week. I think we crossed paths on the roadway near where the Turkey hill truck would set up.

Barrett got victimised a couple times, once early in practice, where F Jackson found a seam and got behind Barrett for a long TD thrown by Clemens.

This is the classic example of how when one guy does good in practice, it comes at the expense of a teamate.

I had Frisman running a good pattern and making a nice catch, and you saw it as barrett being victimized.

I forgot all about the lap therapy in my post. A bunch of guys had to do laps today. it seemed there was always someone running a lap today.

it's all good. ;)

Good stuff, T-Bird!

I am thinking I saw you there today, based on your description of yourself last week. I think we crossed paths on the roadway near where the Turkey hill truck would set up.

This is the classic example of how when one guy does good in practice, it comes at the expense of a teamate.

I had Frisman running a good pattern and making a nice catch, and you saw it as barrett being victimized.

I forgot all about the lap therapy in my post. A bunch of guys had to do laps today. it seemed there was always someone running a lap today.

it's all good. ;)

Actually, I think Barrett was supposed to get inside help on the FJ catch... but I did think he had a tough day out there. Tomorrow I'll be in khaki shorts, dark gree T that says "Patrick 3.17", and the black (Bass beer) tote bag... there is session tomorrow at 2, right? I forgot to look... but that's wht I recall...

Thanks Jetcane, you rock! ;)

Clemens also moved the team downfield and scored from the 10 on a beautiful play action pass to Ryan. Clemens' ball handling has definitely improved, most likely under the tutelage of Pennington.

Was Clemens going at a higher rate of pace (re: at the LOS before the play?)

And in what way did his ball handling improve? (tighter spirals?)

Clemens is definitely entrenched as the #2, but he's still making too many mistakes. On one play in the 11 on 11's, he threw an out, while the WR turned over the middle. Mangini was pointing at him, indicating it was his fault.

Thanks T-Bird!

Thanks Jetcane, you rock! ;)

Was Clemens going at a higher rate of pace (re: at the LOS before the play?)

And in what way did his ball handling improve? (tighter spirals?)

He is still audibiling (sp?) at the LOS, but i think he is calling the new play more quickly now, and keeping the tempo/rhythm up.

Not his passing- his ball handling. He is developing quite a good play fake motion ,imo.

I tried watching his footwork, but being on the grass field meant not staying in the bleachers, so my line of vision was lower (I usually sit in the top row of the bleachers), and it was harder for me to see some things I usuallly look at.

BTW Thunderbird's report is ridiculously good!

Jetcane.... this might be Revis' first practice! You gootta go! Pm with with what yer gonna wear... I'll look for you. I've met some guys at camp from the message boards... always great conversation. Heck, I even have a BBQ at my place once a year.... being only 15 minutes from Hofstra, would had loved for you to be there a couple weeks ago, but there is always next year... might have to do something special, last year at Hofstra and all...

I think Irvin is the worst

Well, his bust is in Canton, so some people evidently disagree.

But I'd rather keep this thread about tc.

Thunderbird, i heard that next year will be at Hofstra, too; we got a reprise going for 08.

I'll be in touch tmw and let you know what my deal is for tc. I'd like to go see Revis. i remember being there the day Law signed and first appeared on the field. It was very cool.

;)

Their graduation rate might also contribute to the teams record. That is all.

Their graduation rate might also contribute to the teams record. That is all.

There is some truth to that. I dont think Donna Shalala gives a rats ass what the team's record is. She has made Miami's entrance standards for football players higher than every other team in the conference except for Wake Forest. Wake btw has an extremly high grad rate- among the top in the nation.

Fortunately, Randy Shannon does care what the team's record is, so we are hoping the record catches up with the graduation rate.

Great reporting guys; thanks!

You have to hope that KC's good play of late will have Chad pushing it to the limit and kicking tail! Sounds like he is off to a great start.

Speaking of Clemens, he certainly has found a friend in Ryan. I hope Chad can find him as well.

Nice to hear Miller seems to be progressing.

Thanks again!

Hey JC, I've been reading your TC reports all camp, and just wanted to say Thanks, man. Too bad we can't get fully detailed practice descriptions like this in the papers. Which is what they are supposed to do, not report most stories as negatively as they can (cough-cimini-cough). But anyway, keep these great reports coming.

Archived