NHL and players have part of a settlement agreement

faba

Salary-cap agreement reportedly won't end lockoutESPN.com news services

TORONTO -- The NHL and the NHL Players' Association have agreed on a salary-cap system, eliminating the biggest stumbling block to the resumption of play next season, the Toronto Globe and Mail reported on its Web site Wednesday.

The paper reported that a source close to the owners, and another close to both owners and players, said there would be a team-by-team salary cap, based on a percentage of the revenue of each franchise.

In what is believed to be a six-year agreement, based on revenue projections by both sides, the salary cap will range from $34 million to $36 million, with the floor from $22 million to $24 million.

The league has previously demanded that the cap be 54 percent of a team's revenue.

However, this does not mean that an overall deal on the lockout is imminent. Negotiators for the players and owners are now working on other issues such as salary arbitration and free agency, according to GlobeandMail.com.

"They still have a ways to go," one source told the paper, although with the cap issue settled there is reason to hope a deal can be reached by early July.

NHL vice-president Bill Daly, the league's chief negotiator, declined to confirm or deny reports of a salary-cap deal.

But he did say publicly on Tuesday that negotiators had moved on to other issues, including salary arbitration, free agency, qualifying contract offers and others.

The lockout caused the cancellation of the 2004-05 season.

There is hope yet that we will have hockey come October

Word up here is that hockey will happen this fall. The players seem beat up and just wanna play.

Looks like the owners will get their way.

I heard a suggestion that Sydney Crosby going to a major U.S. city might do a lot for hockey in the U.S.

d

Crosby will be in New York, playing at the Garden...

Here's how the NHL will swing it: Over the last 5 to 10 seasons or so, the Blue Shirts have the longest (non expansion)playoff drought...

They'll get the #1 overall pick for that reason...Some sort of formula using that logic will concocted to bring him to NYC....bet on it.

God, I hope you're wrong. I wouldn't wish the Blewshirts on anyone...especially that nice kid.

I thought....Toronto? Everyone wants to play there, no?

Here's how the NHL will swing it: Over the last 5 to 10 seasons or so, the Blue Shirts have the longest (non expansion)playoff drought...

They'll get the #1 overall pick for that reason...Some sort of formula using that logic will concocted to bring him to NYC....bet on it.

R44 The Rangers would not be entitled to the first draft pick- you really think the NHL would rig for Crosby to get drafted by the Rangers. One thing for sure though NHL needs a strong team in New York to try to recover some of its lost prestige and fan base.

I wouldnt be surprised. Sounds like a Patrick Ewing to the Knicks type conspiracy scenario :lol:

One thing for sure though NHL needs a strong team in New York to try to recover some of its lost prestige and fan base.

The NHL needs its Original Six to be strong, so Id agree. Id love to see them get rid of some of the southern and midwestern teams with:

1- no fanbase

2- no history

3- no money/competitive edge

Less teams would mean talent is less diluted.

low class corporate suits.

faba: You know I love you, but the Garden fans are mean, nasty people.

Hockey is a contact sport- not playing polo out there in between tea breaks. You have never experienced a real hockey game if you never sat in the old Garden blue seats.

Did I just win a debate against Gang Green Girl in the Hockey Forum? Wow. I guess I DO belong.

I can not believe this either TS- GGG has conceded to you in the hockey forum- some weird things are happening around here- pretty soon some one will ask to pay for a premium site

I can not believe this either TS- GGG has conceded to you in the hockey forum- some weird things are happening around here- pretty soon some one will ask to pay for a premium site

1) Women.

2) And the third-ranked Jets site, of all things.

:lol:

You make me feel.

You make me feel.

You make me feel like a nat-ur-al wooooo-munnnnn.

{Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh}

You make me feel

............like

......................a

..........................natural

[pause]

WOMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.

Hockey sucks.

Another hijacked thread. Who's the woman now?

Archived