While changes are being made...

4HCrew

make them wholesale starting with the linebacker and defensive line. Play the guys that you think will be here next year and can figure out what the hell they are doing. If that means benching D Rob and Vilma so be it...this defense is laughable

agreed, just wondering how soon before we can take out the trash. hopefully robertson isnt around next year.

His contract ends after next year, so because of his huge contract, we'll probably keep him until then.

I also think this is Vilma's contract year, but I may be off a year.

As I said before, these next two offseasons will determine the future of Tangini and the Jets as a whole.

The only prob. with cutting d rob is his cap hit. So, just cutting him will hurt, but I'm not sure about the hit on trading him. Who is our numbers person?

no one is going to eat his cap for a year... Thats why we wont be able to deal him.

Looks like we'll probably have to keep him for one more year until his contract expires.

and god forbid the Jets play a defense that suits our players

what defense suits our players?

The 3-4 hurts Vilma and Ellis...

The 4-3 hurts Hobson, Thomas, and whoever our other DE is opposite Ellis.

So we play a hybrid 3-4/4-3... That doesnt work either.

I just think we need better players, the system isnt the problem.

#s guy is Sperm, he'll get on it. Sperm what does it look like if we trade Chad, Vilma and D.Rob? And what about the cap hits if we release them. I could honestly see Chad getting traded to a QB hungry team (Vikes, Falcons, 49ers) and us getting a middle level pick. Same goes for Vilma, as long as its a 4-3 D. D. Rob though I think is on his way out.

#s guy is Sperm, he'll get on it. Sperm what does it look like if we trade Chad, Vilma and D.Rob? And what about the cap hits if we release them. I could honestly see Chad getting traded to a QB hungry team (Vikes, Falcons, 49ers) and us getting a middle level pick. Same goes for Vilma, as long as its a 4-3 D. D. Rob though I think is on his way out.

I say we trade Pennington... Keep Drob for a year.

And isnt this Vilma's contract year?

The only prob. with cutting d rob is his cap hit. So, just cutting him will hurt, but I'm not sure about the hit on trading him. Who is our numbers person?

DRob is more expensive to keep than let go of (finally). We've finally reached the point in his contract where releasing/trading him offers us cap relief instead of a cap hit.

Well most of these guys - trading them usually has it's most immediate value to us if done before the draft. Presumably you want to move them to acquire '08 picks not '09 picks. So let's go with that since the #'s are different before the draft (before June 1st) and well after the draft (after June 1st).

Pennington:

Would be a one-time dead-cap hit of $6M. This clears at least $1.8M in cap space in 2008 (and another $3M in cap space for 2009 over releasing him after '08). I say "at least" b/c I don't know if there are any other bonus/incentives in his contract beyond his base salary. Otherwise his '08 cap # if kept is $4.8M salary + $3M SB amort = $7.8M.

Robertson:

Would be a one-time dead-cap hit in the neighborhood of $4M. This clears about $5M in cap space in 2008 (and another $2M in cap space for 2009 over releasing him after '08). His scheduled '08 cap # is like $9M if kept, so I'd be shocked if he's here next year.

Vilma:

Would be a one-time dead-cap hit in the neighborhood of $1.5M. This clears about $1M in cap space in 2008 over his scheduled cap hit of ~$2.5M. He is a UFA after the 2008 season.

Net:

Dead cap space of about $12M in 2008

Dead cap space of $0 in 2009

Net cap savings in 2008 of about $8M

If all are kept they will collectively would count $20M in 2008, or 1/6 of the entire team's 2008 cap. If released (or in Vilma's case, not re-signed) after 2008, Chad/DRob would be another $5M in dead cap for the 2009 season.

DRob is more expensive to keep than let go of (finally). We've finally reached the point in his contract where releasing/trading him offers us cap relief instead of a cap hit.

Well most of these guys - trading them usually has it's most immediate value to us if done before the draft. Presumably you want to move them to acquire '08 picks not '09 picks. So let's go with that since the #'s are different before the draft (before June 1st) and well after the draft (after June 1st).

Pennington:

Would be a one-time dead-cap hit of $6M. This clears at least $1.8M in cap space in 2008 (and another $3M in cap space for 2009 over releasing him after '08). I say "at least" b/c I don't know if there are any other bonus/incentives in his contract beyond his base salary. Otherwise his '08 cap # if kept is $4.8M salary + $3M SB amort = $7.8M.

Robertson:

Would be a one-time dead-cap hit in the neighborhood of $4M. This clears about $5M in cap space in 2008 (and another $2M in cap space for 2009 over releasing him after '08). His scheduled '08 cap # is like $9M if kept, so I'd be shocked if he's here next year.

Vilma:

Would be a one-time dead-cap hit in the neighborhood of $1.5M. This clears about $1M in cap space in 2008 over his scheduled cap hit of ~$2.5M. He is a UFA after the 2008 season.

Net:

Dead cap space of about $12M in 2008

Dead cap space of $0 in 2009

Net cap savings in 2008 of about $8M

If all are kept they will collectively would count $20M in 2008, or 1/6 of the entire team's 2008 cap. If released (or in Vilma's case, not re-signed) after 2008, Chad/DRob would be another $5M in dead cap for the 2009 season.

nice work. again.

DRob's #'s I'm the most shaky on. Don't think I'm off by more than a mil either way. Truth is, no one knows these #'s to the dollar except the players, their agents, the Jets' brass, and the NFL.

it ludicrious at this point to keep a player for financial reasons-if he ain't producing cut him if you can't trade him

What makes you think this team will spend any of that extra cap money? They didn't this off season.

This offseason is very important. If they don't show any signs of improvement next year, regardless of record, I'd say this regime just isn't working out.

YOu can't get into the Arizona Cardinals or Cincinnati Bengal's rebuilding efforts. Heck the Houston Texans or the recent SF 49ers rebuilding efforts come to mind.

For me, if they don't improve something, I'll start to believe they are in that forever rebuilding but never really winning mindset.

What makes you think this team will spend any of that extra cap money? They didn't this off season.

This offseason is very important. If they don't show any signs of improvement next year, regardless of record, I'd say this regime just isn't working out.

YOu can't get into the Arizona Cardinals or Cincinnati Bengal's rebuilding efforts. Heck the Houston Texans or the recent SF 49ers rebuilding efforts come to mind.

For me, if they don't improve something, I'll start to believe they are in that forever rebuilding but never really winning mindset.

we sit on 10 million while players like Adailius Thomas, Joey Porter, Lance Briggs and Randy Moss are out there-why?

Archived