interesting point by the ahole Lupica

Matt39

Arod's been garbage for the Yankees in the postseason. Embarassing performances.

How Jeter relates to that, I dont know.

Jeter relates to that because he has been mediocre in the postseason since 2001, yet he gets ZERO blame.

2001: .226 in postseason, 4 RBI in 62 AB's

2002: 8-16, 3 RBI

2003: .314, 5 RBI in 70 AB's

2004: .245, 9 RBI in 49 AB's (.200 in ALCS vs. Boston)

2005: 7-21, 5 RBI's

2006: 8-16, 1 RBI

2007: 3-17, 1 RBI

In that span, he only has 20 extra base hits (9 HR), a .294 BA and 27 RBI in 251 playoff AB's. Nothing spectacular for a guy getting $21 million.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you know who was a more dangerous team than the yankees this year and the preceding 5 years?

The 96 yanks, complete with a rookie, in jeter, mariano duncan (journeyman), tino martinez (quality player, nothing special until the playoffs), Bernie (steps up huge in big games, until the last couple trips), charlie hayes, an aging wade boggs, Paul O'neil (huge be game player)

these guys had a tremendous amount of heart and hustle, played the count well. I want the yankees to get back to these types. Overpaying for a playoff loser like a-rod doesn't win rings, he's proven that so many times.

That team won because of great pitching, not because of scrappy white guys that "did things the right way".

You can have your team full of Ecksteins and Podsedniks. I will take my team full of choking ARods and Willie Mays' and kick your teams ass 11 times out of 10.

Jeter relates to that because he has been mediocre in the postseason since 2001, yet he gets ZERO blame.

2001: .226 in postseason, 4 RBI in 62 AB's

2002: 8-16, 3 RBI

2003: .314, 5 RBI in 70 AB's

2004: .245, 9 RBI in 49 AB's (.200 in ALCS vs. Boston)

2005: 7-21, 5 RBI's

2006: 8-16, 1 RBI

2007: 3-17, 1 RBI

In that span, he only has 20 extra base hits (9 HR) and 27 RBI in 251 playoff AB's.

Please, no facts. Jeter(a great player) makes up for this with steely, determined looks and telling cliches to bored sportwriters.

Without A-rod, the Yankees don't make the playoffs.But again, what do I or anyone who has looked at the stats for more than 5 minutes really know?

Instead, they need the gritty, underdog type player, preferably a white guy, like Justin Pedroia. Such a player, damn those STATISTICS and FACTS, that's what wins baseball games. just ask Mike Lupica, some sissy who never leaves his mansion to actually watch a baseball game.It isn't hyperbole; it's the central thesis of his column. A team comprised of Pedroias, Ecksteins Brosiuses and Byrneses would undoubtedly soundly defeat a team comprised of A-rods as per Lupica. Which is a little like suggesting the Swedish navy, with spiffy uniforms and high tech Saab stuff, could beat the US Navy.

The Yankees might look at A-rod's price and think it's too much, and I would be okay with that. But he is going to go down as possibly the best hitter who ever lived.

That team won because of great pitching, not because of scrappy white guys that "did things the right way".

You can have your team full of Ecksteins and Podsedniks. I will take my team full of choking ARods and Willie Mays' and kick your teams ass 11 times out of 10.

:rl:

just like this year? last year? year before? That's right, your team of payrods, jeters, browns, are really paying off. Oh yeah, lets not forget the other washed up pitchers...johnson and clemens...can you get anymore has-beens or is half your rotation enough? lol

Meanwhile, Boston invested on players that hit in the regular season, and more importantly in the post season.

Stick with what you got, every year i love to watch them flounder.

. A team comprised of Pedroias, Ecksteins Brosiuses and Byrneses would undoubtedly soundly defeat a team comprised of A-rods as per Lupica.

In a playoff game, they absolutley would.

Funny thing is, Mets fans wouldnt even trade Wright for Arod straight up if they had the chance.

All of this sudden Arod love by Mets fans and others is rooted in their hatred of Jeter.

Arod, a great hiter, if you get to watch him every day, hits homeruns in bunches off of crappy pitching.

In a playoff game, they absolutley would.

Funny thing is, Mets fans wouldnt even trade Wright for Arod straight up if they had the chance.

All of this sudden Arod love by Mets fans and others is rooted in their hatred of Jeter.

Arod, a great hiter, if you get to watch him every day, hits homeruns in bunches off of crappy pitching.

The reason Wright wouldn't get traded in that deal is that he is 24 yrs old with 3 straight 25+ HR , 100 RBI, .300+ batting average seasons under his belt. He also scores 100 runs and steals 30 bases to boot. He IS a star. Alex is a superstar but you don't trade Wright for a player 7 years older and 240 million or so more expensive.

BTW we wouldn't trade him for Jeter either or attempt to run him out of town when he didn't hit in the 06 postseason. The Yanks will be big players for ARod if he opts out as they are watching the SOX line-up which some questioned earlier this season. They know w/out ARod hitting clean-up they cant keep pace.

The reason Wright wouldn't get traded in that deal is that he is 24 yrs old with 3 straight 25+ HR , 100 RBI, .300+ batting average seasons under his belt. He also scores 100 runs and steals 30 bases to boot. He IS a star. Alex is a superstar but you don't trade Wright for a player 7 years older and 240 million or so more expensive.

BTW we wouldn't trade him for Jeter either or attempt to run him out of town when he didn't hit in the 06 postseason. The Yanks will be big players for ARod if he opts out as they are watching the SOX line-up which some questioned earlier this season. They know w/out ARod hitting clean-up they cant keep pace.

this is the exact problem with the yanks. THey look for guys that have already made it big in the league and hope that they can continue it in New York. NY is a totally different venue, despite it being the same town, wright would more than likely, not play as well in the bronx.

They need to get back to developing their minor league talent. THey were winning, and winning big when that was their focus.

The Yankees will make the 'offs again next year. Im willing to bet that right now.

This might be false, but someone brought up on the radio today that Arod hit 98% of his home runs off of righties this year.

I'll take you up on your bet if they dont keep arod.

Arod hit 54 hrs.

Actually he hit 7 hr's off of lefty's (including his lone post season hr).

that brings his % to 15% of hr's off lefties this year.

He hit a hr against lefties once per 20 ab's

he hit a hr against righties once every 9.5 ab's...

Jeter hit 2 of his 12 hr's off lefties.

Plus, isnt it better to hit righties well if you're right handed??? And lefties if you're left handed??? Should we criticize matsui for not hitting hr's off lefties????

Yankees need a big overhaul of this team. Time to stop living in the past. playoffs arent a guarantee every year. Look at the Sox last year. 3rd place! They went and rebuilt this past offseason and now they are on the brink of another world series. The biggest problem in this organization is Brian Cashman. he is responsible for this mess.

Archived