Mo Deal Close?

Maxman

As per Scott Clark on ABC. He says Mo left Tampa happy and he is close to signing a new contract with the Yankees.

Let's hope this is true. These guys with 4 rings -- overpay them. Keep them here.

Misread it for No deal close at first. While I'd love to see him gone as a Red Sox fan, it's nice as a BASEBALL fan to see a guy like Mo stay with the same team all these years, and he should retire there.

Rivera will always be a Yankee...so why let him go to Atlanta or Detroit? If nothing else do it for the fans, and its not like hes unproductive either.

By the close of spring training, Joba will be the setup guys once again. I don't give a care about what the Yankees FO is saying, that's where he is going to end up - much like Pimple-ass in Boston. He was a starter for a winter, too if you remember. In this day and age shortening a game to 7 innings 3 or 4 times in 5 games is much more important than running a guy out there every 5 days. Plus, the guy (minus the bug game) has proven he has the right makeup to be a closer - why not run with it?

Mark it down - Joba is the Rivera in the Wetteland-Rivera combination from 96.

By the close of spring training, Joba will be the setup guys once again. I don't give a care about what the Yankees FO is saying, that's where he is going to end up - much like Pimple-ass in Boston. He was a starter for a winter, too if you remember. In this day and age shortening a game to 7 innings 3 or 4 times in 5 games is much more important than running a guy out there every 5 days. Plus, the guy (minus the bug game) has proven he has the right makeup to be a closer - why not run with it?

The only way Joba sees the pen again is if Mo walks and the Yanks can't get a solid replacement. Joba has always been a starter and was converted last year during desperate times because Farnsworth -Proctor and Vizcaino couldn't be trusted with the 8th inning. Papelbon asked to close and the Sox had no alternative anyway.

Nah. Sorry man. You are off on this one. The kid has 4 pitches. They really think he can be a # 1 starter. They are going to maximize what he can do and put him in the rotation.

Unless Mo isn't back, then that changes things.

Papelbon was moved back to the bullpen because he was getting tired after 4 innings in his starts. Thats not gonna happen to Joba. They wish Papelbon would be a starter,he just can't.

Papelbon was moved back to the bullpen because he was getting tired after 4 innings in his starts. Thats not gonna happen to Joba. They wish Papelbon would be a starter,he just can't.

Not true.

He was moved back per his request when Timlin got hurt in the spring. Papelbon started all throughout his minor league career. Starting is much easier than getting up and throwing every night ala the closer role.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2808345

Not true.

He was moved back per his request when Timlin got hurt in the spring. Papelbon started all throughout his minor league career. Starting is much easier than getting up and throwing every night ala the closer role.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2808345

Yes true. If you saw him pitch as a starter in spring training it was clear that he was tiring. No pitcher in their right mind would choose the bullpen over starting if they felt they could be a good starter.

Yes true. If you saw him pitch as a starter in spring training it was clear that he was tiring. No pitcher in their right mind would choose the bullpen over starting if they felt they could be a good starter.

LOL.....All SP's tire in spring training. Papelbon requested the move after the Pineiro's ,Hansons etc blew their auditions for the job. He also stated he wanted to chase the saves records and bring to Boston what Mo did to the Yanks. By the way were Smoltz and Eckersley good starters who moved to closer?

I am also sure you saw every start Papelbon made in spring training as well.:rolleyes:

LOL.....All SP's tire in spring training. Papelbon requested the move after the Pineiro's ,Hansons etc blew their auditions for the job. He also stated he wanted to chase the saves records and bring to Boston what Mo did to the Yanks. By the way were Smoltz and Eckersley good starters who moved to closer?

I am also sure you saw every start Papelbon made in spring training as well.:rolleyes:

all of that is BS. a mediocre starter makes as much as the best RP's in baseball. A pitcher choosing between being a dominant starter and a dominant RP would never pick to the go to the pen unless they didn't feel they could make it as a starter.

all of that is BS. a mediocre starter makes as much as the best RP's in baseball. A pitcher choosing between being a dominant starter and a dominant RP would never pick to the go to the pen unless they didn't feel they could make it as a starter.

Hmmm, So I guess someone needs to tell Brett Myers to his face that he was lying this past season when he said that he would have no problem going to the pen, if that is what the club wanted him to do. And, he ultimately did.

Now Mike, Brett has a little bit of an anger issue, so be at your diplomatic best when you tell him this. You are usually very good at these types of things.

Hmmm, So I guess someone needs to tell Brett Myers to his face that he was lying this past season when he said that he would have no problem going to the pen, if that is what the club wanted him to do. And, he ultimately did.

Now Mike, Brett has a little bit of an anger issue, so be at your diplomatic best when you tell him this. You are usually very good at these types of things.

nerd_385x261.jpg

"You're not good enough to be a starter, Mr. Myers.

My sabremetric calculations say so!"

The only way Joba sees the pen again is if Mo walks and the Yanks can't get a solid replacement. Joba has always been a starter and was converted last year during desperate times because Farnsworth -Proctor and Vizcaino couldn't be trusted with the 8th inning. Papelbon asked to close and the Sox had no alternative anyway.

Nah. Sorry man. You are off on this one. The kid has 4 pitches. They really think he can be a # 1 starter. They are going to maximize what he can do and put him in the rotation.

Unless Mo isn't back, then that changes things.

I respectfully disagree with the three of you. Joba has the chance to be a special pitcher. He may have always been a starter, but that does not mean squat when you get down to it. Shortening 4-5 games a week is more important than a start every 5th day. My opinion of course, but I believe this is the way things will go for Joba.

I respectfully disagree with the three of you. Joba has the chance to be a special pitcher. He may have always been a starter, but that does not mean squat when you get down to it. Shortening 4-5 games a week is more important than a start every 5th day. My opinion of course, but I believe this is the way things will go for Joba.

Hey I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion. I just said it was a bad one, lol.

A great starter is much more valuable than a great RP. Period. If a player can do both they should be starting. Many closers are FAILED starters but teams must give them the chance to fail before moving them to the bullpen.

:roll: Now THAT'S BS !!

How is it BS. The best closers in baseball make 10 million a year while mediocre starters make over 20...

Exactly how many "mediocre" pitchers are making over 20 mil per season?

How is it BS. The best closers in baseball make 10 million a year while mediocre starters make over 20...

Mike is right. The players would pick it because of the money, they do make more as a starter.

Simply put though if a guy can do both you would have him start because he would pitch more innings that way.

Archived