The Knicks and Nets Drafts: My Expert Ratings

TomShane

Let me start with the Nets, because they rule:

At 15 I was praying they'd draft Gerald Green because I thought it would be insane to watch him learn behind Vince Carter while getting some time running the break with Kidd. It would have been insane. But the Nets passed on the kid amid rumors that Green was a little lazy and while he was a phenomenal athlete, didn't really understand the game of basketball all that well. In defense of the Nets, you can go to any inner-city schoolyard and pick up a kid with a 36" vertical and if Green can't shoot or dribble right now, or especially defend, I can understand why the Nets would leave him alone.

The Nets realize that their window to get into the Finals is two years, considering Kidd's age and health. So, they went with Antoine Wright, who is a 6'7" shooter. What's interesting about him is that draft reports differ on him so much in talking about his athleticism. As it turns out, those that actually scouted him in game action at Texas A&M call him a "great athlete" while those who only saw him at the Chicago pre-draft camp were unimpressed, meaning he didn't "test" well. Myself? In highlights I'm seeing of him, he looks plenty athletic to me. He has range and handle, and it looks like he understands spacing and how to get himself open. In short, he's ready to play.

Now, as for his role on the team, this is where it gets interesting. They either want him to be the hired gun off the bench--the role that Rodney Buford filled last season with staggering inconsistency, or, and I HOPE this is the case, they got him because there's a deal in the works to trade Richard Jefferson for some size in the paint. RJ is a nice player, but he became unnecessary as soon as Vince started lacing them up for the Nets. It is a fact that RJ does not love the Nets and the Nets do not love RJ, despite his huge extension. If the Nets can deal him for someone like Eddy Curry from the Bulls (who has an irregular heartbeat (!)) or Elton Brand of the Clippers, whos deal is coming up, I'd be in love with that. The Nets are way too soft in the middle right now--something that was repeatedly exposed down the stretch last season--so getting someone in there with some muscle is imperative. I'd prefer Brand because he knows how to protect his teammates with a well-timed elbow, and he's also a more-than-capable scoring option in the paint. IMO, RJ for Brand is a HEIST in the Nets' favor. Putting a front line of Krstic, Brand and Wright out there with Kidd and Carter in the backcourt gives you a starting five that might be the best in the East one through five (assuming Wright can play).

Their second rounder is a tall European dude whom the best all the scouts say about him is "he's big." Still, given that Stefanski found Krstic, we can give them the benefit of the doubt. I imagine that they'll leave him in Europe for another season before bringing him over, as they did with Krstic.

As for the Knicks, I thought it was a bad draft overall. All this ridiculous hype regarding Channing Frye is an absolute joke. Did anyone watch him play before deciding he was the next Larry Nance? The kid is as soft as can be, has zero range on his "jumper," is an awkward athlete and doesn't like pressure. These guys do not last in the NBA at ALL. Sure, he's 6'11", but when you're the 4th option offensively in the Pac-10 on your team despite being seven feet tall, that just goes to show how much you suck. Fyre=balls.

As for getting Nate Robinson, I like this pick the best. Not because I think Robinson is a great prospect (he's not) but because it sends a clear message to Marbury that his days of not playing defense are over in NY. The backcourt of Marbury and Crawford was perhaps the most pitiful defensive set of guards in league history. It was a freaking lay-up line out there, which made Walt Frazier's fro drag. Pitiful. Nate does nothing particularly well--he doesn't handle it well, he doesn't shoot ot, nor can he run an offense--except on defense he's a pain in the ass. He's a cornerback on the football team, and he uses his sick athleticism and strength to get into taller guards and make dribbling the ball hell. It will be fun to watch Bill Laimbeer pull Stephon out of games in the 4th quarter and install Robinson for defense. Marbury will weep, but f him. Loser.

As for the white dude from Florida, Lee, I thought Spike Lee's expression said it best: yawn. :lol:

Let me start with the Nets, because they rule:

At 15 I was praying they'd draft Gerald Green because I thought it would be insane to watch him learn behind Vince Carter while getting some time running the break with Kidd. It would have been insane. But the Nets passed on the kid amid rumors that Green was a little lazy and while he was a phenomenal athlete, didn't really understand the game of basketball all that well. In defense of the Nets, you can go to any inner-city schoolyard and pick up a kid with a 36" vertical and if Green can't shoot or dribble right now, or especially defend, I can understand why the Nets would leave him alone.

The Nets realize that their window to get into the Finals is two years, considering Kidd's age and health. So, they went with Antoine Wright, who is a 6'7" shooter. What's interesting about him is that draft reports differ on him so much in talking about his athleticism. As it turns out, those that actually scouted him in game action at Texas A&M call him a "great athlete" while those who only saw him at the Chicago pre-draft camp were unimpressed, meaning he didn't "test" well. Myself? In highlights I'm seeing of him, he looks plenty athletic to me. He has range and handle, and it looks like he understands spacing and how to get himself open. In short, he's ready to play.

Now, as for his role on the team, this is where it gets interesting. They either want him to be the hired gun off the bench--the role that Rodney Buford filled last season with staggering inconsistency, or, and I HOPE this is the case, they got him because there's a deal in the works to trade Richard Jefferson for some size in the paint. RJ is a nice player, but he became unnecessary as soon as Vince started lacing them up for the Nets. It is a fact that RJ does not love the Nets and the Nets do not love RJ, despite his huge extension. If the Nets can deal him for someone like Eddy Curry from the Bulls (who has an irregular heartbeat (!)) or Elton Brand of the Clippers, whos deal is coming up, I'd be in love with that. The Nets are way too soft in the middle right now--something that was repeatedly exposed down the stretch last season--so getting someone in there with some muscle is imperative. I'd prefer Brand because he knows how to protect his teammates with a well-timed elbow, and he's also a more-than-capable scoring option in the paint. IMO, RJ for Brand is a HEIST in the Nets' favor. Putting a front line of Krstic, Brand and Wright out there with Kidd and Carter in the backcourt gives you a starting five that might be the best in the East one through five (assuming Wright can play).

Their second rounder is a tall European dude whom the best all the scouts say about him is "he's big." Still, given that Stefanski found Krstic, we can give them the benefit of the doubt. I imagine that they'll leave him in Europe for another season before bringing him over, as they did with Krstic.

As for the Knicks, I thought it was a bad draft overall. All this ridiculous hype regarding Channing Frye is an absolute joke. Did anyone watch him play before deciding he was the next Larry Nance? The kid is as soft as can be, has zero range on his "jumper," is an awkward athlete and doesn't like pressure. These guys do not last in the NBA at ALL. Sure, he's 6'11", but when you're the 4th option offensively in the Pac-10 on your team despite being seven feet tall, that just goes to show how much you suck. Fyre=balls.

As for getting Nate Robinson, I like this pick the best. Not because I think Robinson is a great prospect (he's not) but because it sends a clear message to Marbury that his days of not playing defense are over in NY. The backcourt of Marbury and Crawford was perhaps the most pitiful defensive set of guards in league history. It was a freaking lay-up line out there, which made Walt Frazier's fro drag. Pitiful. Nate does nothing particularly well--he doesn't handle it well, he doesn't shoot ot, nor can he run an offense--except on defense he's a pain in the ass. He's a cornerback on the football team, and he uses his sick athleticism and strength to get into taller guards and make dribbling the ball hell. It will be fun to watch Bill Laimbeer pull Stephon out of games in the 4th quarter and install Robinson for defense. Marbury will weep, but f him. Loser.

As for the white dude from Florida, Lee, I thought Spike Lee's expression said it best: yawn. :lol:

I hope I'm wrong, but I watched Wright during the NIT semi-final and came away pretty unimpressed. He'll also need to improve on the free throws at this level. Hard to judge off of one game, but he didn't look that great against my undersized JC brutha, Dwayne Lee.

I hope I'm wrong, but I watched Wright during the NIT semi-final and came away pretty unimpressed. He'll also need to improve on the free throws at this level. Hard to judge off of one game, but he didn't look that great against my undersized JC brutha, Dwayne Lee.

I do not know enough about Wright or seen him play to make an honest opinion of him. If as advertised he could be that spark off the bench and scoring threat they are lacking. Their second round pick will not be on the team this year-he is what you call another European project

I do not know enough about Wright or seen him play to make an honest opinion of him. If as advertised he could be that spark off the bench and scoring threat they are lacking. Their second round pick will not be on the team this year-he is what you call another European project

Biased cock sucking Nets fan.

Nets Suck, THEY ******* SUCK, THEY'RE DRAFT SUCKED AND THIER FUTURE IS GOING DOWN THE sh*tTER WITH THE WIFE BEATER SLAPPING HIS WIFE THE HOUSE I'M SURE THIS OFF-SEASON AGAIN.

Channing Frye is better than any Nets C.

Biased cock sucking Nets fan.

Nets Suck, THEY ******* SUCK, THEY'RE DRAFT SUCKED AND THIER FUTURE IS GOING DOWN THE sh*tTER WITH THE WIFE BEATER SLAPPING HIS WIFE THE HOUSE I'M SURE THIS OFF-SEASON AGAIN.

I'm hoping that Rutgers was running the zone in that game. [-o< Wright's a wing player on a crappy squad, so I can see the zone keeping him from getting shots. I agree about the free throws, too. What was he, 64%? From a shooter> That's just strange.

By expert, you mean completely and totally biased, right?

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention the Piston's pick. They drafted some dude who Brown won't play anyway, in the off-chance that the kid shows actual talent and ruins Brown's rep as 'Christ-like redeemer of lost basketball souls'. Rumor has it that Brown tried to trade the pick for Roy Tarpley. Question: With a new player coming aboard., does Darko move one spot down the bench, or one spot up the bench?

Let's see: Jason Collins who has been to two Finals and can at least body up on Shaq versus a slender, soft, no-game having toothpick. Truthfully? It might be a tie. My prediction? Frye is on the injured list by September.

It's funny with these Euro's now. Now that teams are actually sending their own scouts over instead of relying on independent European scouting services, alot of these dudes are being exposed as soft and hopeless. I like the European influence on the NBA though. It's so interesting to see American players react when Krstic does a simple drop step. They act like they've never seen it before. Hopefully, it starts to rub off. I still hate that the NBA allows the zone to compensate for the influx of coughwhite European players in the league, however. Bring back man-to-man and let them learn to play defense.

I'm hoping that Rutgers was running the zone in that game. [-o< Wright's a wing player on a crappy squad, so I can see the zone keeping him from getting shots. I agree about the free throws, too. What was he, 64%? From a shooter> That's just strange.

By expert, you mean completely and totally biased, right?

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention the Piston's pick. They drafted some dude who Brown won't play anyway, in the off-chance that the kid shows actual talent and ruins Brown's rep as 'Christ-like redeemer of lost basketball souls'. Rumor has it that Brown tried to trade the pick for Roy Tarpley. Question: With a new player coming aboard., does Darko move one spot down the bench, or one spot up the bench?

Let's see: Jason Collins who has been to two Finals and can at least body up on Shaq versus a slender, soft, no-game having toothpick. Truthfully? It might be a tie. My prediction? Frye is on the injured list by September.

It's funny with these Euro's now. Now that teams are actually sending their own scouts over instead of relying on independent European scouting services, alot of these dudes are being exposed as soft and hopeless. I like the European influence on the NBA though. It's so interesting to see American players react when Krstic does a simple drop step. They act like they've never seen it before. Hopefully, it starts to rub off. I still hate that the NBA allows the zone to compensate for the influx of coughwhite European players in the league, however. Bring back man-to-man and let them learn to play defense.

Whoa... bitter, bitter, bitter Nets fan. So, your team drafted some guy who's a complete and utter bust. The Knicks actually get better in the draft. Who cares if Jason Collins can body up with Shaq? Well, I take that back... he can't body up with Shaq. No one can.

As far as the Pistons pick goes... what are you expecting at 26? Brown plays American draft picks, dumbass. He's a Xenophobe. Get it right, jackass.

Now, get your dumbass ready to bitch, moan, and complain about Vince Carter sucking it up during the season. You actually think the Nets will make the finals over the next two years? Trick please! They're behind the Pistons, Heat, Pacers, Bulls, and Wizards, at the Nets best. The Sixers, Celtics, and the Cavs are probably better too. Why would the Bulls take RJ for Eddie Curry? Despite his irregular heartbeat. Quit posting your fantasy trade jerkoff garbage.

Whoa... bitter, bitter, bitter Nets fan. So, your team drafted some guy who's a complete and utter bust. The Knicks actually get better in the draft. Who cares if Jason Collins can body up with Shaq? Well, I take that back... he can't body up with Shaq. No one can.

As far as the Pistons pick goes... what are you expecting at 26? Brown plays American draft picks, dumbass. He's a Xenophobe. Get it right, jackass.

Now, get your dumbass ready to bitch, moan, and complain about Vince Carter sucking it up during the season. You actually think the Nets will make the finals over the next two years? Trick please! They're behind the Pistons, Heat, Pacers, Bulls, and Wizards, at the Nets best. The Sixers, Celtics, and the Cavs are probably better too. Why would the Bulls take RJ for Eddie Curry? Despite his irregular heartbeat. Quit posting your fantasy trade jerkoff garbage.

Wright SUCKS, you guys didn't get 1 of the Top 3 guys you wanted and you end up with this joke.

Channing Frye is a good player.

Nate Robertson is 5'8 and he can DUNK the ball and his play is going to really help being the back-up to Marbury.

Quentin Richardson is a part of this draft in my mind and he's a great 6th man, may even start if Tim Thomas is pushed out the door.

David lee is a good back-up, nothing more but we needed back-up SF in case we leave QRich back-up in Crawford and leave Thomas on the team starting there.

Get over it TS! The Nets didn't have a good of a draft than the Knicks. The Knicks and Bobcats had the 2 best drafts, deal with it! =D>

Wright SUCKS, you guys didn't get 1 of the Top 3 guys you wanted and you end up with this joke.

Nate Robertson is 5'8 and he can DUNK the ball and his play is going to really help being the back-up to Marbury.

Quentin Richardson is a part of this draft in my mind and he's a great 6th man, may even start if Tim Thomas is pushed out the door.

David lee is a good back-up, nothing more but we needed back-up SF in case we leave QRich back-up in Crawford and leave Thomas on the team starting there.

Get over it TS! The Nets didn't have a good of a draft than the Knicks. The Knicks and Bobcats had the 2 best drafts, deal with it! =D>

First of all, the pecking order as of today in the East is: Heat, Pacers, Nets, Pistons (assuming Brown leaves). Don't tell the about the Wizards because that team is a bunch of me-first headcases who will implode this year.

As for the 5'8" Nate Robinson who can "dunk," well, I think that's wonderful. Maybe he can replace Hot Sauce on the And1 tour. As far as being able to play in the NBA, good luck. He's a 5'8" 2-guard that can't shoot or dribble. Have fun with that. And Frye is a waste of life. He'll be the world's first 6'11" man that weighs 165 pounds and will still show up to camp overweight.

First of all, the pecking order as of today in the East is: Heat, Pacers, Nets, Pistons (assuming Brown leaves). Don't tell the about the Wizards because that team is a bunch of me-first headcases who will implode this year.

As for the 5'8" Nate Robinson who can "dunk," well, I think that's wonderful. Maybe he can replace Hot Sauce on the And1 tour. As far as being able to play in the NBA, good luck. He's a 5'8" 2-guard that can't shoot or dribble. Have fun with that. And Frye is a waste of life. He'll be the world's first 6'11" man that weighs 165 pounds and will still show up to camp overweight.

6'11, 250. =D>

6'11, 250. =D>

Biased c*ck sucking Nets fan.

Nets Suck, THEY farging SUCK, THEY'RE DRAFT SUCKED AND THIER FUTURE IS GOING DOWN THE sh*tTER WITH THE WIFE BEATER SLAPPING HIS WIFE THE HOUSE I'M SURE THIS OFF-SEASON AGAIN.

You talk a lot of sh*t for a team that is the Yankees of the NBA, without the titles and without the talent.

Biased c*ck sucking Nets fan.

Nets Suck, THEY farging SUCK, THEY'RE DRAFT SUCKED AND THIER FUTURE IS GOING DOWN THE sh*tTER WITH THE WIFE BEATER SLAPPING HIS WIFE THE HOUSE I'M SURE THIS OFF-SEASON AGAIN.

You talk a lot of sh*t for a team that is the Yankees of the NBA, without the titles and without the talent.

I cannot WAIT until the first time Steph is ripped off the floor and replaced by mighty-mouse for defensive purposes. GOD that will be great to watch as Steph pulls his jersey out of his shorts and unties his shoes while sulking on the bench.

I cannot WAIT until the first time Steph is ripped off the floor and replaced by mighty-mouse for defensive purposes. GOD that will be great to watch as Steph pulls his jersey out of his shorts and unties his shoes while sulking on the bench.

Frye

Sweetney

Thomas / Ariza

Crawford / Q

STARBURY / Lil Nate

=

Farter then the Nets in the 2006 NBA Playoffs.

Kurt Thomas got traded, Champ! And that is easily the worst defensive line-up I have ever seen. I could get 50 playing against that squad.

Frye

Sweetney

Thomas / Ariza

Crawford / Q

STARBURY / Lil Nate

=

Farter then the Nets in the 2006 NBA Playoffs.

Kurt Thomas got traded, Champ! And that is easily the worst defensive line-up I have ever seen. I could get 50 playing against that squad.

Archived