I wouldnt mind the 7th pick

NYjet10

I wouldnt mind beating herm and taking Vernon Gholston with the 7th pick. The only difference is they wont need to break the hearts of long and mcfaden fans because they'll be gone,and we will get to pay gholston cheaper than we would if we took him third.

i haven't seen Gholston rated as a top ten player, so taking him at 7th

may not be too smart

We really need 3rd pick cause our 2nd rounder is like a 1st rounder and we could package this pick and the ones we get for vilma/CP for Gholston.

Throw hermie a bone!!!!!!! Maybe they will keep him in KC????

may not be too smart

We really need 3rd pick cause our 2nd rounder is like a 1st rounder and we could package this pick and the ones we get for vilma/CP for Gholston.

Throw hermie a bone!!!!!!! Maybe they will keep him in KC????

Very true.

may not be too smart

i don't know how but some way Gholston is considered a top 10 lock among Jets fans.

Among the rest of the country he's an interesting juice monkey late first rounder. Among Jets fans he's the second coming of Jesus. I don't understand. Ok he's got big arms had 1 big year... but his level of competition has been pitiful. He's a hand in the dirt 4-3 DE who'd do great someplace like Jacksonville or New Orleans. but not really sure how he became such an idol of Jets fans. It's a phenomenon i don't think even Buckeye fans would understand.

may not be too smart

Actually I've seen several of them. Not saying I would put him top 10, figure I'd wait until after the Bowl games and combine.

2008 NFL Mock Draft - Top 5 Picks - 12/17

By Tom V. on December 18th, 2007

mock-temp.jpg

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

We

Enter Vernon Gholston, a speedy defensive end (he runs a 4.6 40) who can also adjust to linebacker and fill what might be the only “need” New England really has.

Not to split hairs but 4.6 isn't speedy for a D-end. Johnny Abe and Bryan Thomas ran in the 4.4's.

4.6 is faster than average but not really amazing.

Not to split hairs but 4.6 isn't speedy for a D-end. Johnny Abe and Bryan Thomas ran in the 4.4's.

I'm not really taking either side of the debate.

But there are a lot of Mocks out there that have him top 10

show me where Abe and BT ran 4.4's! 4.6 is amazing for as DE. There are WR's and RB's that don't run 4.4's. Iv'e even heard that the amazing DMAC runs a blazin 4.5!

The fastest DE to come out in recent years is Mario Williams who ran 4.7-4.8!

show me where Abe and BT ran 4.4's! 4.6 is amazing for as DE. There are WR's and RB's that don't run 4.4's. Iv'e even heard that the amazing DMAC runs a blazin 4.5!

The fastest DE to come out in recent years is Mario Williams who ran 4.7-4.8!

I don't know about Abe but I'm pretty sure that Bryan Thomas ran a 4.4 at the combine.

EDIT: Here's a link that has his combine measurements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Thomas#Combine

To bad he's nowhere near that fast on the field.

That wiki page says he ran a 3.9 forty.... :confused:

Bryan Thomas ran a 4.6 coming out of college, and he was drafted in the first round because of it. Unfortunately, as we've seen, pad-speed and combine-speed aren't always equivalent.

What I like about Gholston (and why I think he'll be a top-five pick when it's all said and done) is that he looks fast and plays powerful in pads. Every year players shoot up draft boards, I think #50 will demonstrate why at the combine.

you guys can claim whatever but Bryan Thomas ran in the 4.4's, my notes say 4.45. Abe was in the same area.

which just shows you that the number means absolutely nothing.

although it was actually in the 4.5's.

from... http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/scouttalk_032602.asp

Expect Alabama-Birmingham to have a lot of visitors on Friday at the school’s pro timing day, which was postponed a week. DE Bryan Thomas has been on the upswing since he posted 4.51 and 4.54 40-times at the NFL Scouting Combine at 266 pounds. Some scouts question Thomas’ ability to play defensive end and think he might be more suited to play linebacker, where he would be ideal for the 3-4 defense employed by the Steelers.

Archived