Why do I have this feeling

4HCrew

That Chad Pennington is going to beat out Kellen again for the starting job in 2008? If he is on the roster which looks like he will be, will Kellen even be given the chance? and if I hear one more time how Kellen will improve his nutrition in the offseason..does that help you read defenses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wtf:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That Chad Pennington is going to beat out Kellen again for the starting job in 2008? If he is on the roster which looks like he will be, will Kellen even be given the chance? and if I hear one more time how Kellen will improve his nutrition in the offseason..does that help you read defenses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wtf:

I have that feelin too. I don't think Clemens is ready yet.

I said that before about Chad. KC couldn't beat him out this year and Mangini continued to stick with Chad for half this season even though every fan, media member and who knows what else called for KC to start.

At some point we have to think KC just isn't that good or hasn't impressed this coaching staff that much or this regime just loves Chad soo much. I don't know but so far they brought in Ramsey and KC to win the starting job yet Chad still seems to win the job every preseason. If KC isn't ready next year, I doubt he'll ever be a starting QB for the NY Jets.

Mangini is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he trades Chad, then he and Clemens are until death do us part.

This isn't Holmgrem banking his future by joining himself at the hip with Brett Favre.

Let me ask you something, if you are the HC of this team, what would you do?

I don't think the guy has any good options, and it's mostly his own fault. You can say ok, he should have drafted a QB last year, or he could have had Brady Quinn this year, but none of those guys look any heavy shakes, neither.

It's like this, I'm watching the Giants the last few weeks and it looks like Eli is starting to come around. The GM who drafted him is gone, and the HC who plays him has been a c**t hair away from being fired himself.

But it looks like it's starting to work itself out.

But enough about coaches and players. The fans? We're f***ed.

I said that before about Chad. KC couldn't beat him out this year and Mangini continued to stick with Chad for half this season even though every fan, media member and who knows what else called for KC to start.

At some point we have to think KC just isn't that good or hasn't impressed this coaching staff that much or this regime just loves Chad soo much. I don't know but so far they brought in Ramsey and KC to win the starting job yet Chad still seems to win the job every preseason. If KC isn't ready next year, I doubt he'll ever be a starting QB for the NY Jets.

As far as Chad is concerned, that ship has sailed. I just want a clean break. I think it would be best for all involved. But it's just not that simple. He's under contract, and Mangini is scared he has no better options.

As far as Chad is concerned, that ship has sailed. I just want a clean break. I think it would be best for all involved. But it's just not that simple. He's under contract, and Mangini is scared he has no better options.

I agree. Chad needs to be traded because if he's still on this team, I have a feeling he'll be the starting QB come game 1 next year. And that really isn't improving the team for the future. It's living in the past.

It is also a matter of trade value. We don't know what is being offered. But I would rather have Chad on the team than have a 3rd or 4th rounder. Even if he doesn't win the starting job he will bring great competition. I still say that if you get Chad a downfield threat like a R Moss it would mask his only weakness.

It is also a matter of trade value. We don't know what is being offered. But I would rather have Chad on the team than have a 3rd or 4th rounder. Even if he doesn't win the starting job he will bring great competition. I still say that if you get Chad a downfield threat like a R Moss it would mask his only weakness.

They could have traded a 2nd round pick for him. I just don't see Chad staying as a backup. He could start for other teams in the NFL at this point. He knows this, other teams know this and I'm sure this regime knows this. So far the only reason KC started was because Chad stunk this year. It wasn't like KC earned the starting job.

Keeping Chad around and not starting him just because you want to give KC a shot

might backfire. Chad seems nice enough, but if he knows another team wants him as a starter yet the Jets refuse to trade him and refuse to start him even if KC struggles, I doubt he'd be that much of a help. I bet he'll still be nice, still help out, but there is a big difference in somebody who thinks they are done and somebody who thinks they should be starting.

They could have traded a 2nd round pick for him. I just don't see Chad staying as a backup. He could start for other teams in the NFL at this point. He knows this, other teams know this and I'm sure this regime knows this. So far the only reason KC started was because Chad stunk this year. It wasn't like KC earned the starting job.

Keeping Chad around and not starting him just because you want to give KC a shot

might backfire. Chad seems nice enough, but if he knows another team wants him as a starter yet the Jets refuse to trade him and refuse to start him even if KC struggles, I doubt he'd be that much of a help. I bet he'll still be nice, still help out, but there is a big difference in somebody who thinks they are done and somebody who thinks they should be starting.

Yeah, I agree on both counts. Jets need to get a big time WR either way. I'm betting that Tangini didn't feel he had the locker room charecters to handle Moss like NE does. You need that vet leadership in order to take someone on like Moss.

Yeah, I agree on both counts. Jets need to get a big time WR either way. I'm betting that Tangini didn't feel he had the locker room charecters to handle Moss like NE does. You need that vet leadership in order to take someone on like Moss.

Moss said he would only play for NE if he was traded or signed.

Mangini is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he trades Chad, then he and Clemens are until death do us part.

This isn't Holmgrem banking his future by joining himself at the hip with Brett Favre.

Let me ask you something, if you are the HC of this team, what would you do?

I don't think the guy has any good options, and it's mostly his own fault. You can say ok, he should have drafted a QB last year, or he could have had Brady Quinn this year, but none of those guys look any heavy shakes, neither.

It's like this, I'm watching the Giants the last few weeks and it looks like Eli is starting to come around. The GM who drafted him is gone, and the HC who plays him has been a c**t hair away from being fired himself.

But it looks like it's starting to work itself out.

But enough about coaches and players. The fans? We're f***ed.

Not make a decision on a QB after 7 or so NFL starts. Nothing says we have to trade Pennington right away either. No QB could play behind our 07 line with any consistent success.

Other teams allow their QB's growing pains----Jet fans give em a handfull of games.

Even in hindsight, other than MAYBE Cutler, not sure how Mangini is the culpret of anything QB wise here......not after the limited starts Clemens has had.

If I'm the HC i fix the line and bring them both back with the job being Kellen's to lose.

I'd like to see them trade for Chad Johnson, but I doubt they'll do that. I don't see anybody on this team who can handle players like Johnson, TO, Moss, and so on.

NE has BB and Brady and half that defense. The Jets have mostly scrubs and a bunch of young talent. Mangini might through his way around but I doubt Moss or anybody else like him would give a crap.

So what do you do about that? We'll you need to start finding players who make a difference. Maybe Harris can be that guy. Maybe Revis. As far as the offense, it doesn't seem like anybody would get in anybodys face and tell them to shut up at this point.

Not make a decision on a QB after 7 or so NFL starts. Nothing says we have to trade Pennington right away either. No QB could play behind our 07 line with any consistent success.

Other teams allow their QB's growing pains----Jet fans give em a handfull of games.

Even in hindsight, other than MAYBE Cutler, not sure how Mangini is the culpret of anything QB wise here......not after the limited starts Clemens has had.

If I'm the HC i fix the line and bring them both back with the job being Kellen's to lose.

The problem is if Chad is still around and wins the starting job in preseason yet they still start KC, what are other players on the team going to think? If KC continues to struggle early and Chad continues to sit, it won't be pretty.

Derek Anderson had a decent year and went 10-6 and the Browns are looking to trade him to start a late first round pick. At some point either you make a choice that KC is your man or you continue to look clueless.

Carson Palmer started his second season and Kitna was soon gone even after he had a good first season. Brady started his second year and even when Bledsoe came back, a Pro Bowl QB and Super Bowl loser at one point, wasn't put back in.

The Giants started Eli even after Kurt Warner led them to like a 5-2 start or something.

At some point Mangini needs to take a chance and go for it. Otherwise you have a coach who is afraid to fall flat on his face. Either say KC is the starter or say Chad is, otherwise you get stuck in the situation with a coach who is afraid to look bad,.

I'd like to see them trade for Chad Johnson, but I doubt they'll do that. I don't see anybody on this team who can handle players like Johnson, TO, Moss, and so on.

NE has BB and Brady and half that defense. The Jets have mostly scrubs and a bunch of young talent. Mangini might through his way around but I doubt Moss or anybody else like him would give a crap.

So what do you do about that? We'll you need to start finding players who make a difference. Maybe Harris can be that guy. Maybe Revis. As far as the offense, it doesn't seem like anybody would get in anybodys face and tell them to shut up at this point.

I agree. It is a tough situation. I can't see CP or KC getting in anyone's face either. Chad Johnson would be great - but he is driving Carson Palmer nuts right now and who wants that. I can't come up with an answer for this problem.

I agree. It is a tough situation. I can't see CP or KC getting in anyone's face either. Chad Johnson would be great - but he is driving Carson Palmer nuts right now and who wants that. I can't come up with an answer for this problem.

I wish I knew. Who else would make that big of an impact other than Johnson? They can bring in other players like JMAC who have some nice numbers but aren't that impressive. I don't know. I do know this offense needs to add a few playmakers or at least try to utilize Washington more. He seems like a guy who can be used like Westbrook and/or Bush. Who knows.

Like I said, even if they do improve the defense, the offense needs to score more than 10 points whether Chad or KC is starting.

The problem is if Chad is still around and wins the starting job in preseason yet they still start KC, what are other players on the team going to think? If KC continues to struggle early and Chad continues to sit, it won't be pretty.

Derek Anderson had a decent year and went 10-6 and the Browns are looking to trade him to start a late first round pick. At some point either you make a choice that KC is your man or you continue to look clueless.

Carson Palmer started his second season and Kitna was soon gone even after he had a good first season. Brady started his second year and even when Bledsoe came back, a Pro Bowl QB and Super Bowl loser at one point, wasn't put back in.

The Giants started Eli even after Kurt Warner led them to like a 5-2 start or something.

At some point Mangini needs to take a chance and go for it. Otherwise you have a coach who is afraid to fall flat on his face. Either say KC is the starter or say Chad is, otherwise you get stuck in the situation with a coach who is afraid to look bad,.

That decision does not have to come today. Last year at this time Mangini wouldn't name Chad the starter either though we both likely would agree that Kellen is likely his guy going into 08. I'm not ditching him for Anderson after 1/2 a season of starts.

The 180's done on Kellen behind a bad line on the site are incredible. We've overeacted to one good qtr against the Ravens and now to poor play behind a crappy line with his #1 receiver hurt.

I say we give Mangini 3 seasons like most said they would to resolve not only the QB situation but also the other holes we have.

I wish I knew. Who else would make that big of an impact other than Johnson? They can bring in other players like JMAC who have some nice numbers but aren't that impressive. I don't know. I do know this offense needs to add a few playmakers or at least try to utilize Washington more. He seems like a guy who can be used like Westbrook and/or Bush. Who knows.

Like I said, even if they do improve the defense, the offense needs to score more than 10 points whether Chad or KC is starting.

I agree that this offense is pathetic. There is always someone who pops up and can help your offense. Maybe we just need the get the best OL possible and draft a WR to develop. We definitly need another WR and I agree we need to use Washington more. We could also us a FB and a Power RB.

I agree that this offense is pathetic. There is always someone who pops up and can help your offense. Maybe we just need the get the best OL possible and draft a WR to develop. We definitly need another WR and I agree we need to use Washington more. We could also us a FB and a Power RB.

They had a FB but I don't think they ever used him.

As far as the other comment, the problem is next year is Season 3. If KC isn't the answer, then I doubt Mangini sticks around. There are not many regimes who get a second chance to pick their future QB. Like it or not, KC is either the QB of the future or the QB who got Mangini fired. The only way he gets out of that mess is if the Jets wind up winning 11 games and go to the AFC Championship or something.

Billick picked Boller who sucked for years but he got tons of more chances cause he won a Super bowl. If The Jets win 5 games next year and KC struggles and they go into 2009 still having no clue who the future QB is, I doubt Mangini gets another shot or he does and the Jets are in for a long 5 year reign where they never really improve.

They had a FB but I don't think they ever used him.

As far as the other comment, the problem is next year is Season 3. If KC isn't the answer, then I doubt Mangini sticks around. There are not many regimes who get a second chance to pick their future QB. Like it or not, KC is either the QB of the future or the QB who got Mangini fired. The only way he gets out of that mess is if the Jets wind up winning 11 games and go to the AFC Championship or something.

Billick picked Boller who sucked for years but he got tons of more chances cause he won a Super bowl. If The Jets win 5 games next year and KC struggles and they go into 2009 still having no clue who the future QB is, I doubt Mangini gets another shot or he does and the Jets are in for a long 5 year reign where they never really improve.

That is why Chad is staying. Because love him or not he can buy another year for this regime by going 9-7 or 10-6. I don't think a championship game is a requirement. I think they will try to improve everything else on offense and let the QB who has the best camp start.

Not make a decision on a QB after 7 or so NFL starts.

You would go into your third season knowing your job is on the line, with confidence in what you saw in those 7 games?

Nothing says we have to trade Pennington right away either. No QB could play behind our 07 line with any consistent success.

True, but Clemens hasn't shown much more than Bollinger did. And for all the manlove going on in here for Mawae, Fabini and Kendall, both Bollinger and Chad were running for their lives behind those guys as well.

Jet fans don't have anything to do with it. That is a decision made by coaches and GM's who are usually in the CYA mode.

And Mangini is the culprit, he used a 2nd round draft pick on a QB. He then used his two 3's and a 4th on Brad Smith, Eric Smith and Anthony Schlegel. Not exactly stuff you want to put in bold on your resume.

If I'm the HC i fix the line and bring them both back with the job being Kellen's to lose

Fix the line, that's a good idea. Lets see what they do with that 27 million in cap space.

That is why Chad is staying. Because love him or not he can buy another year for this regime by going 9-7 or 10-6. I don't think a championship game is a requirement. I think they will try to improve everything else on offense and let the QB who has the best camp start.

I really hope that isn't the case. While I want the Jets to win, if they go 9-7 with Chad yet don't really look that impressive, I'd start to think we are in for another Herm Edwards V2 era. An era where one year they go 9-7 and the next they go 5-11. We've been down that road before and the Jets never improved. I'd rather they go with KC and see what he can or can't do. Sticking with Chad next season and not picking a QB in the first 3 rounds in the draft means they are heading down the "we never improve" but win every other year Herm Edwards style. SOrry but been there, done that. I'd rather they take a risk and attempt to improve instead of hoping for another 8-8 season.

I really hope that isn't the case. While I want the Jets to win, if they go 9-7 with Chad yet don't really look that impressive, I'd start to think we are in for another Herm Edwards V2 era. An era where one year they go 9-7 and the next they go 5-11. We've been down that road before and the Jets never improved. I'd rather they go with KC and see what he can or can't do. Sticking with Chad next season and not picking a QB in the first 3 rounds in the draft means they are heading down the "we never improve" but win every other year Herm Edwards style. SOrry but been there, done that. I'd rather they take a risk and attempt to improve instead of hoping for another 8-8 season.

If you look at the history of the coaches from the Parcells tree, QB is almost always an after thought. I think we will see improvement this year. The key is the OL, WR's, NT, and another LB. With these areas secure you can win in this league. Like Parcells said, you can;t just dial 1-800-QUARTERBACK. You need to build around a QB's and then coach to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

Archived