4H -Your signature

Scott Dierking

And by no means is this an attempt to call you out, but this is the first time I have seen this:

-Woody, please sell the team to Curtis Martin-

Are you serious with this?

In my opinion, this would be one of the worst things that could happen to the Jets, or any other franchise.

Curtis Martin certainly does not have enough money to buy the Jets on his own. That means a team of minority owners, all wanting their say into how things are run, all wanting a share of how and where money is spent, all wanting a say in philosophy.

In the end, a stalemate of paralysis by analysis, and the team is in a constant stalemate of decisions. I have seen it with other clubs where there is group ownership.

Does this mean that Woody is the best? Certainly not. But give me ONE person at the top, rather than a team.

And I love CM as much as the next fan, but that would be a terrible direction for this team.

And by no means is this an attempt to call you out, but this is the first time I have seen this:

-Woody, please sell the team to Curtis Martin-

Are you serious with this?

In my opinion, this would be one of the worst things that could happen to the Jets, or any other franchise.

Curtis Martin certainly does not have enough money to buy the Jets on his own. That means a team of minority owners, all wanting their say into how things are run, all wanting a share of how and where money is spent, all wanting a say in philosophy.

In the end, a stalemate of paralysis by analysis, and the team is in a constant stalemate of decisions. I have seen it with other clubs where there is group ownership.

Does this mean that Woody is the best? Certainly not. But give me ONE person at the top, rather than a team.

And I love CM as much as the next fan, but that would be a terrible direction for this team.

Persnally I believe that the Corp. that will be led by C.M. to buy a team will be made of of a group of past Parcell successful players , the name of the Corp. could be Tuna Suprise. these would be guys who took Bills advice and invested their money wisely by maybe buying horses insted of betting on them although Wayne Chrebets horse won more then a few races

Feel free to call me out that is fine. I do not think it is fair to assume anything about the minority owners and how they would run things. I think it would not hurt to have a football guy, that is respected throughout the league to be the spokesperson and leader of a franchise. In addition I believe that CM would be a part of intelligent focussed group that has not only the goal of making money in mind but to actually bring a championship caliber team to the table. I believe Curtis would be a part of a very strong group and would not be suprised if it was made up of some other former players or even Parcells. He is a very intelligent, driven focussed individual... As for Woody it is not like the Jets are his pure focus and find it hard to believe he is leading the ship to begin with.

Were people whining about Woody Johnson not spending money when the Jets were 30 million over the cap 2 years ago? I think not.

Theres a different between spending money in a smart way and spending money in a dumb way.

I.E.

Smart - Boston Red Sox.

Dumb - New York Mets. New York Yankees dishing out $20+ million to Roger Clemens.

Theres a different between spending money in a smart way and spending money in a dumb way.

I.E.

Smart - Boston Red Sox.

Dumb - New York Mets. New York Yankees dishing out $20+ million to Roger Clemens.

Woody isnt the one who makes decisions on who we sign. He isnt Jerry Jones or George Steinbrenner.

And that is not the issue people have with Woody. The issue people have with Woody is that they see the Jets 30 mill under the cap right now and say that "he's a cheap bastard owner". But in the past the Jets were always at the top of the league in salary cap total, and like I just said earlier, they were spending TOO MUCH MONEY, just a couple years ago.

Look, Woody isnt a great owner. But he's not completely terrible either. Unless the Jets dont spend any significant amount of money this offseason, I see no proof that Woody doesnt like to spend money on his ballclub.

The cap has also expanded at least $20 million since the Jets were once under the salary cap. He has NEVER dished out the money to bigger priced, more talented free agents.

Whose his biggest name he's brought in here via free agency?

Sam Cowart? Andre Dyson? Aaron Beasley? Donnie Abraham? Sam Garnes?

Who the hell have the Jets ever brought in? Yeah, they arn't signing players to ridiculous contracts anymore, congrats Woody. He's still a cheap prick, just he's making wiser decisions on second and third tier players.

what has Woody done to drastically to improve the Jets? upgrade their locker room? also there have been several reports that comment how at times Tangini has their hands tied when it comes to spending money. My biggest gripe is the continous ticket price increases with not even a championship game appearance. Woody is about making a dollar first, before winning..

The cap has also expanded at least $20 million since the Jets were once under the salary cap. He has NEVER dished out the money to bigger priced, more talented free agents.

Whose his biggest name he's brought in here via free agency?

Sam Cowart? Andre Dyson? Aaron Beasley? Donnie Abraham? Sam Garnes?

Who the hell have the Jets ever brought in? Yeah, they arn't signing players to ridiculous contracts anymore, congrats Woody. He's still a cheap prick, just he's making wiser decisions on second and third tier players.

Ty Law???:confused0082:

I think Woody would spend if they told him they wanted to. I really believe that. I like his style in that he lets his football guys do their thing. That is really what I want out of an owner. And I do like the guys that he has running the football side of the house now.

My problem with Woody has to do with bleeding the fan base (ticket prices).

Ty Law???:confused0082:

Yeah, Ty Law, when he was in his 30's. I like Ty Law, one of my favorite players I've ever seen, but he isn't the same Ty Law as he was in New England. A lot of those 10 Interceptions in 2005 were tipped balls.

I'd still love to have him here, but even then, Woody signed him to basically a 1 year deal.

Yeah, Ty Law, when he was in his 30's. I like Ty Law, one of my favorite players I've ever seen, but he isn't the same Ty Law as he was in New England. A lot of those 10 Interceptions in 2005 were tipped balls.

I'd still love to have him here, but even then, Woody signed him to basically a 1 year deal.

Woody signed him? Really??

I think Woody would spend if they told him they wanted to. I really believe that. I like his style in that he lets his football guys do their thing. That is really what I want out of an owner. And I do like the guys that he has running the football side of the house now.

My problem with Woody has to do with bleeding the fan base (ticket prices).

I agree with this post 100%. I dont think he cares about winning as much as some other owners, but he's not nearly as bad as the owners who actually HURT their teams.

The notion that Woody says anything about personnel or spending (we've been cap strapped for almost his entire tenure as owner) is about as stupid as I've seen. Woody is no better or worse than just about every other owner in the league.

Agreed. Somehow we forget the large contracts he doled out for Chad Pennington and Shaun Ellis. A cheap owner doesnt do that, bottom line. Woody spends money on his team when his football people ask him to.

Somehow it is Woodys fault the Jets never get the big time free agent? Whatever. We arent exactly the Yankees when it comes to attracting the big name players. And while we are talking about big time FA players in the NFL, how many of them actually ever live up to their contracts?

we definetely didnt get him in his prime that year he blew alot of plays

I'm not saying he was a great pickup. But he was the player everyone wanted and a big contract was dished out to get him.

F In addition I believe that CM would be a part of intelligent focussed group that has not only the goal of making money in mind but to actually bring a championship caliber team to the table. I believe Curtis would be a part of a very strong group and would not be suprised if it was made up of some other former players or even Parcells. He is a very intelligent, driven focussed individual... As for Woody it is not like the Jets are his pure focus and find it hard to believe he is leading the ship to begin with.

Sounds like he would be better served as GM, then.

And trust me, if you own something as a businessman, you expect to make some money

of of it. There is no owner of any sports team that is in it for the philanthropy of the fans.

Scott and I understand that. It is not like Woody has been to the wall by his fan base. Jets fans have been happy with the cheaper inexperienced head coaches he and his front office staff have brought in. And at the same time the Jets have not had a true gamebreaking player like a LT, Favre,Peyton that they had to break the bank for. Sure they gave solid contracts to playes like Chad, Martin, Chrebet and the rest, but in reality they have never been in the situation to have to dole out huge coin. Does he spend money sure, he has a surplus of it being in the NY market. But I would love to see the examples where has gone above and beyond to make this team better while at the same time raising ticket prices and the cost of the gameday experience.

Scott and I understand that. It is not like Woody has been to the wall by his fan base. Jets fans have been happy with the cheaper inexperienced head coaches he and his front office staff have brought in. And at the same time the Jets have not had a true gamebreaking player like a LT, Favre,Peyton that they had to break the bank for. Sure they gave solid contracts to playes like Chad, Martin, Chrebet and the rest, but in reality they have never been in the situation to have to dole out huge coin. Does he spend money sure, he has a surplus of it being in the NY market. But I would love to see the examples where has gone above and beyond to make this team better while at the same time raising ticket prices and the cost of the gameday experience.

4H, for me this offseason is the telling tale of the Johnson ownership regime.

The money is available to spend. The front office has structured contracts so salary can be taken on. Now, will Woody do it?

I don't want them to spend money for the sake of spending money, but I want to see them be AGRESSIVE. The first coupole of days a FA will tell us a lot.

What's the difference who/what they spent the money on? The team spent up to the cap every year until this past one. Does it really matter in a financial sense if he's paying Peyton Manning or Chad Pennington? A dollar is a dollar. It's not that easy to "go above and beyond" when dealing with a salary cap. It's just easy to **** it up by banging into it and not leave yourself any flexiblity. That's what we've been doing wrong.

4H, for me this offseason is the telling tale of the Johnson ownership regime.

The money is available to spend. The front office has structured contracts so salary can be taken on. Now, will Woody do it?

I don't want them to spend money for the sake of spending money, but I want to see them be AGRESSIVE. The first coupole of days a FA will tell us a lot.

The two things that worried me about ownership are the fact the coaches/FO are low paid and that they were $10M under the cap this year. At least they spent the money from the '07 cap to use in '08. Now I'm with you, I want to see some agressive moves. I won't be surprised if they don't spend up to the cap again because I think they are dead set about getting a certain type of guy, but now that they have space they'd better have guys targeted and jump on them.

The two things that worried me about ownership are the fact the coaches/FO are low paid

If we are to believe the reports, Woody offered Parcells a blank check, not only to stay on, but to coach the team after the Groh debacle.

It may be that Woody is not an owner that coaches would like to work under. I don't know.

The coaches that they brought on under this regime did not merit a large pay check, based on their experience. Whether that was by design, or philosophy is hard to tell.

What's the difference who/what they spent the money on? The team spent up to the cap every year until this past one. Does it really matter in a financial sense if he's paying Peyton Manning or Chad Pennington? A dollar is a dollar. It's not that easy to "go above and beyond" when dealing with a salary cap. It's just easy to **** it up by banging into it and not leave yourself any flexiblity. That's what we've been doing wrong.

The two things that worried me about ownership are the fact the coaches/FO are low paid and that they were $10M under the cap this year. At least they spent the money from the '07 cap to use in '08. Now I'm with you, I want to see some agressive moves. I won't be surprised if they don't spend up to the cap again because I think they are dead set about getting a certain type of guy, but now that they have space they'd better have guys targeted and jump on them.

This is the main reason no-one is buying this load of crap that the JETS are serious about keeping Chad on next season ,cause if they were serious why wouldn`t they have used $ that 10 million under the cap from last season and put it towards Chad `s 8 million bucks thats gonna count against the cap this year ,that would have given us an extra 8 million to spend on a quality FA for this season ,even if they didn`t want to put it towards Chad they could have pre- paid a few other guys around here towards this years cap so we`d have the extra cash to spend on quailty players ,at least it would give the impression Mgt. is doing everything they can ..

This is the main reason no-one is buying this load of crap that the JETS are serious about keeping Chad on next season ,cause if they were serious why wouldn`t they have used $ that 10 million under the cap from last season and put it towards Chad `s 8 million bucks thats gonna count against the cap this year ,that would have given us an extra 8 million to spend on a quality FA for this season ,even if they didn`t want to put it towards Chad they could have pre- paid a few other guys around here towards this years cap so we`d have the extra cash to spend on quailty players ,at least it would give the impression Mgt. is doing everything they can ..

Maybe you should check around. This is precisely what the Jets did. They used all that money to prepay guys like K. Coleman. My understanding is that they used ALL of it. They couldn't pay Chad because they paid guys that will probably be back next year. Check with Sperm or one of the cap gurus. Chad will either restructure (again) or be gone. He's not sticking around at $8-9M to back up. Prepaying him would have accomplished little except maybe make him more palatable in a trade.

Maybe you should check around. This is precisely what the Jets did. They used all that money to prepay guys like K. Coleman. My understanding is that they used ALL of it. They couldn't pay Chad because they paid guys that will probably be back next year. Check with Sperm or one of the cap gurus. Chad will either restructure (again) or be gone. He's not sticking around at $8-9M to back up. Prepaying him would have accomplished little except maybe make him more palatable in a trade.

Right, you don't put money on to teh books THIS year, if you are unsure the player will not be here NEXT year.

This is fiscally irresponsible. It is giving a player guaranteed money, in a bonus form, practically, when they may not earn they money for you.

No one does that.

Scott I completely agree with you regarding this offseason. The Jets will have the ability to substantially upgrade their talent base, now lets see how they go about it. I agree to not spend money to just spend it, but with the amount of holes this team has there should not be too many excuses

Archived