if mcfadden falls to us.

NOExcusesNYJ

He may be a great NFL RB and he may not, that remains to be seen. But we sorely need help in other areas first and foremost, and I think we should trade down.

He doesn't have the build to be a great RB.

I really hope we select him and he becomes a great rb..just so I can say I told you so.. hes the best rated player in the draft hands down..

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trade down and take who? let me know whats your plan?

I could give you a whole pant load of ideas such as Kentwan Balmer and Aqib talib or possibly calais campbell if they think he can add weight and like him more than balmer. There are plenty of players who would both have the ability to start and make a significant impact, which in my eyes would outweigh dmacs 10 carries you proposed.

I really hope we select him and he becomes a great rb..just so I can say I told you so.. hes the best rated player in the draft hands down..

I just think his skills translate better to WR at the NFL level. I think if someone can take him and slowly turn him into a WR that he could be very, very good. He has long strides, yet is quick in small spaces. The only concern is durability because of his size.

giving up huh? until they make the playoffs and you will jump back on the bandwagon and maybe even wear a mcfadden jersey..

Uh, the words bandwagon and Jets do not belong together in the same setence. I will always be a loud, hard cheering Jets fan, no matter what stupid moves this organization makes. However, if the Jets select Darren McFadden I'm sitting back and not wasting money on road trips until the current regime is gone and a new one is brought in. Welcome to Dan Snyder's world if the Jets were to select McFadden. Going for want over need is ridiculous.

A wide reciever?!? Time for me to goto bed!! fcking amazing... this guy was hands down the best running back in college.. best talent in this draft and you want him to change positions?

You should go look at the Reggie Bush threads so it can bring back some memories for you. Everyone was saying he was Gale Sayers.

Uh, the words bandwagon and Jets do not belong together in the same setence. I will always be a loud, hard cheering Jets fan, no matter what stupid moves this organization makes. However, if the Jets select Darren McFadden I'm sitting back and not wasting money on road trips until the current regime is gone and a new one is brought in. Welcome to Dan Snyder's world if the Jets were to select McFadden. Going for want over need is ridiculous.

So before he ever gets a chance to play, you're going to write him off?

DMac will be a good back, how good I dont know. But lets all stop pretending he's going to suck. Thats not going to happen.

So before he ever gets a chance to play, you're going to write him off?

DMac will be a good back, how good I dont know. But lets all stop pretending he's going to suck. Thats not going to happen.

And you know this how?

In your eyes, he'll be a good back.

In my eyes, he's another Reggie Bush type bust. Will be nothing special.

Honestly, thats me being nice about what I see in store for him. I really see him turning out to be garbage.

And you know this how?

Honestly, thats me being nice about what I see in store for him. I really see him turning out to be garbage.

Would you like to place some kind of wager on this?

Only stipulations would be that he has to stay healthy, so if he gets injured, the bet is off. And that if he has law problems, the bet is off.

If he stays on the field (and he always has), he will be a good back. He'll way out produce Reggie Bush in rushing yards.

Would you like to place some kind of wager on this?

Only stipulations would be that he has to stay healthy, so if he gets injured, the bet is off. And that if he has law problems, the bet is off.

If he stays on the field (and he always has), he will be a good back. He'll way out produce Reggie Bush in rushing yards.

Yeah, because that is so hard to do. :shock:

You compare him to Adrian Peterson. Lets see if he has identical rookie year numbers. Thats the wager. Heck, if Thomas Jones is so bad by running for 1,100+ behind this Offensive Line, McFadden should be able to run for AT LEAST 1,500.

And you know this how?

I don't see any reason for this McFadden hating. He's a big fast back who has all the tools to be a great NFL player. The Jets would be taking a very good risk drafting him and if they can't drafted serviceable linemen later in the draft they are going nowhere anyway.

You compare him to Adrian Peterson. Lets see if he has identical rookie year numbers. Thats the wager. Heck, if Thomas Jones is so bad by running for 1,100+ behind this Offensive Line, McFadden should be able to run for AT LEAST 1,500.

Peterson was running behind a top 3 Oline in the sport. Yards mean nothing. Jones led the NFL in carries and his YPA was garbage.

I already said he's not going to be as good as Peterson.

You compared him to Bush, so if he is the next Bush, he should produce like him right?

I already said he's not going to be as good as Peterson.

You compared him to Bush, so if he is the next Bush, he should produce like him right?

Right. Combined yardage. Bush as a receiver isn't half bad, but as a back, he cannot run up the middle. McFadden won't be doing well up the middle either.

He has to be BETTER.

Lets say, if McFadden RUSHES for 1,000 yards (60 some yards a game, not hard to do) we'll set a bet surrounding the 1,000 yards.

Right. Combined yardage. Bush as a receiver isn't half bad, but as a back, he cannot run up the middle. McFadden won't be doing well up the middle either.

He has to be BETTER.

Lets say, if McFadden RUSHES for 1,000 yards (60 some yards a game, not hard to do) we'll set a bet surrounding the 1,000 yards.

I'm not gonna make any bets on 1,000 yards, because the team that drafts DMac could use him in a 2 back set his first year in the league, limiting his carries and likelihood of reaching 1,000 yards.

However, we can bet on YARDS PER CARRY. Bush had 3.6 ypc his rookie year. If the Jets draft McFadden and he stays healthy for all 16 games (like Bush did his rookie year) then I'd bet you he eclipses that 3.6 ypc mark that Reggie Bush put up his rookie year.

Agreed. We have a deal. (like stealing $10 from a baby!)

And yes, if he misses 1 game, the deal is off.

Suckaaaa.

The Jets will not draft McFadden so it won't matter come April 26th anyway. (At least I hope they're not that stupid.)

Peterson was running behind a top 3 Oline in the sport. Yards mean nothing. Jones led the NFL in carries and his YPA was garbage.

No other running back in the league has the ability to break the long TD's that Peterson did this year.

Those TD's werent a product of his oline- it was a product of him being an F'ing beast.

Sorry, McFadden running out of a gimmick set untouched through the line of scrimmage doesnt excite me too much.

Him and Peterson are two completely different runners if you watch them.

i guess beggars can be choosers

Whatever. Tall, skinny RB's with Todd Pinkston-like legs don't get me excited.

He's fast. La dee freakin' da. So is Ted Ginn.

But you still dont get it... Adrian peterson runs upright..they said he wil never lastin this league..he runs angry too upright and wil take too many hits..

And Peterson may not. Sadly, AP already got a knee ligament tear as a rookie. You must be trying to make my point for me, because the outlook of him even having a 4 year-long career at this point is not good unfortunately.

No one even knows if DMC was playing at as much as 210 lbs in '07. He sure looked skinny. Throughout the season he was listed at anywhere between 205 to (now) 217 lbs depending on where you checked. I don't assume for a moment that the highest weight anyone ever listed him at is both (1) his normal weight now, and (2) the weight he played at during the season.

Tiki barber used to fumble alot..they fixed that..thats what coaches are there for...

At his very worst, even Tiki never averaged a fumble every single game for a full season. Worse still, as I understand it, a good amount of McFaddens fumbles came when he was barely even touched.

It's also a big leap of faith that a change in running style (even in the way one grips the ball) for someone with McFadden's style, will have no impact on his jukes or moves.

and atlanta wil take him if matt ryan is off the board... They need a Qb much more then a RB

Whoa whoa whoa. I thought that there is NO excuse for not taking this kid. None. Certainly not for Matt Ryan. There are better QB prospects just about every single year. I thought McFadden is a once-in-a-decade (or two) type of talent.

Like Reggie Bush, another "no-brainer" pick. Seems the only guy with brains was Casserly, who fans everywhere killed for "stupidly" passing on Bush to take "a lineman."

Whatever. Tall, skinny RB's with Todd Pinkston-like legs don't get me excited.

He's fast. La dee freakin' da. So is Ted Ginn.

And Peterson may not. Sadly, AP already got a knee ligament tear as a rookie. You must be trying to make my point for me, because the outlook of him even having a 4 year-long career at this point is not good unfortunately.

No one even knows if DMC was playing at as much as 210 lbs in '07. He sure looked skinny. Throughout the season he was listed at anywhere between 205 to (now) 217 lbs depending on where you checked. I don't assume for a moment that the highest weight anyone ever listed him at is both (1) his normal weight now, and (2) the weight he played at during the season.

At his very worst, even Tiki never averaged a fumble every single game for a full season. Worse still, as I understand it, a good amount of McFaddens fumbles came when he was barely even touched.

It's also a big leap of faith that a change in running style (even in the way one grips the ball) for someone with McFadden's style, will have no impact on his jukes or moves.

Whoa whoa whoa. I thought that there is NO excuse for not taking this kid. None. Certainly not for Matt Ryan. There are better QB prospects just about every single year. I thought McFadden is a once-in-a-decade (or two) type of talent.

Like Reggie Bush, another "no-brainer" pick. Seems the only guy with brains was Casserly, who fans everywhere killed for "stupidly" passing on Bush to take "a lineman."

1 Were did you get mcfadden averages a fumble a game?

2 Casserly got fired after that..and besides he did do a stupid thing... hes just lucky mario williams panned out..but actuallys hes not..he doesnt have a gm job anymore..

3 you must know more then all the professional scouts that all they do is evaluate talent... cause everyone else has him as there number 1 rb..not to mention best player period..

Everyone has there right to an opinion.. soi respect all of you on this board..I just think we need a sparkplug on the offense.. someone teams have to worry about. a guy that at any moment can break one.. we dont have that... thomas jones isnt that player..he has never been that player..

Now if dallas would offer us both there number one picks and we took mendenhall and sweed..I wouldnt be upset..

1 Were did you get mcfadden averages a fumble a game?

2 Casserly got fired after that..and besides he did do a stupid thing... hes just lucky mario williams panned out..but actuallys hes not..he doesnt have a gm job anymore..

3 you must know more then all the professional scouts that all they do is evaluate talent... cause everyone else has him as there number 1 rb..not to mention best player period..

Everyone has there right to an opinion.. soi respect all of you on this board..I just think we need a sparkplug on the offense.. someone teams have to worry about. a guy that at any moment can break one.. we dont have that... thomas jones isnt that player..he has never been that player..

Now if dallas would offer us both there number one picks and we took mendenhall and sweed..I wouldnt be upset..

1. McFadden had what - 10 fumbles in 11 games?

2. Casserly was retiring after the draft no matter what. It had nothing to do with Reggie Bush & he certainly didn't get fired. That's a myth like Barry Sanders played behind a bad OL. And "luck" had nothing to do with Mario Williams being a stud. He was a total freak of nature: 290+ lbs, 4.5 speed, power, and moves.

3. Every scout does not have him ranked as the best player on their board. If that was the case, there is zero chance of anyone passing him up; let alone him possibly slipping to #6 in a weak top-of-the-draft with no one moving up to take him.

We don't need a "sparkplug" anywhere NEAR our need for 3 offensive linemen, 2 defensive linemen, and 2 linebackers.

Thomas Jones was once thought to be a great RB prospect as well. Not good. GREAT. In a DEEP RB draft. And was one who - in addition to having good speed - had a reputation of being able to take on defenders & break tackles, which is not what McFadden is even known for. As I understand it, he's known for the exact opposite: going down on first contact.

Further, I think the "face of the franchise" desire is something I'd expect from someone 20 years younger than you. I think we'd be tying up way too much in terms of cap space & draft picks on one position where even the most talented players need LOTS of help around them. Mostly, I just object to the way you assume that taking a different player or trading down (if even possible) in a draft so weak at the top automatically means we end up with garbage. (You're not nearly as bad as Bit on this one; he still brings up the '97 draft when Parcells got fleeced out of the #1 pick like no one before or since. There was nothing wrong with trading down then; what was wrong was that he got like a 3rd, a 4th, and a 6th for dropping from #1 all the way down to #8; the Bolts got another first rounder and the #1 pick in round 3 and they only dropped to #4. Tuna's the only one in the "draft value chart era" to get such a pathetic return).

Or just the notion that DMC is so blindingly fast that he'll just be able to run around everyone. Michael Bennett had like world class sprinter speed (10.18 in the 100-meter dash, and 20.66 seconds in the 200-meter dash, in addition to a 4.13 at his pro-day workout) & couldn't simply run by defenders even with a stud OL.

You clearly are more familiar with this player than I am. But how many of those runs were through 8+ yard-wide holes that he simply will not see with anywhere near the regularity he did in college? Sure, I'd rather have him than Thomas Jones, who I don't think much of. But a team with a crappy OL, a crappy DL, and one good LB has no business burning their top pick on another RB; and in doing so, earmarking $14M/yr of our salary cap at one of the positions where a high-priced stud is decidedly not requisite for superbowl rings.

We'll see. If we do end up with him, it is my sincere hope that he makes me eat my words.

2. Casserly was retiring after the draft no matter what. It had nothing to do with Reggie Bush & he certainly didn't get fired. That's a myth like Barry Sanders played behind a bad OL. And "luck" had nothing to do with Mario Williams being a stud. He was a total freak of nature: 290+ lbs, 4.5 speed, power, and moves.

3. Every scout does not have him ranked as the best player on their board. If that was the case, there is zero chance of anyone passing him up; let alone him possibly slipping to #6 in a weak top-of-the-draft with no one moving up to take him.

We don't need a "sparkplug" anywhere NEAR our need for 3 offensive linemen, 2 defensive linemen, and 2 linebackers.

Thomas Jones was once thought to be a great RB prospect as well. Not good. GREAT. In a DEEP RB draft. And was one who - in addition to having good speed - had a reputation of being able to take on defenders & break tackles, which is not what McFadden is even known for. As I understand it, he's known for the exact opposite: going down on first contact.

Further, I think the "face of the franchise" desire is something I'd expect from someone 20 years younger than you. I think we'd be tying up way too much in terms of cap space & draft picks on one position where even the most talented players need LOTS of help around them. Mostly, I just object to the way you assume that taking a different player or trading down (if even possible) in a draft so weak at the top automatically means we end up with garbage. (You're not nearly as bad as Bit on this one; he still brings up the '97 draft when Parcells got fleeced out of the #1 pick like no one before or since. There was nothing wrong with trading down then; what was wrong was that he got like a 3rd, a 4th, and a 6th for dropping from #1 all the way down to #8; the Bolts got another first rounder and the #1 pick in round 3 and they only dropped to #4. Tuna's the only one in the "draft value chart era" to get such a pathetic return).

Or just the notion that DMC is so blindingly fast that he'll just be able to run around everyone. Michael Bennett had like world class sprinter speed (10.18 in the 100-meter dash, and 20.66 seconds in the 200-meter dash, in addition to a 4.13 at his pro-day workout) & couldn't simply run by defenders even with a stud OL.

You clearly are more familiar with this player than I am. But how many of those runs were through 8+ yard-wide holes that he simply will not see with anywhere near the regularity he did in college? Sure, I'd rather have him than Thomas Jones, who I don't think much of. But a team with a crappy OL, a crappy DL, and one good LB has no business burning their top pick on another RB; and in doing so, earmarking $14M/yr of our salary cap at one of the positions where a high-priced stud is decidedly not requisite for superbowl rings.

We'll see. If we do end up with him, it is my sincere hope that he makes me eat my words.

he was fired along with Offensive Coordinator Chris Palmer and Head Coach Dom Capers. Rick Smith replaced Casserly as the new General Manager.

Fumbles can be corrected..they did the same with tiki...

Hes fast..but hes also Big.. as for me wanting a face to the franchise and Im too old to want one.. thats absurd.. we need some sort of idenity.. Does that equal in wins? sometimes it doesnt.

I think I would like to watch the draft with you if your in the newyork area...lol I think that would be a fun experience.. You being disgusted and me cheering the pick..or the other way around..

I believe we all want the jets to win..we just cant decide the best way..but neither can our own gm

The thing that pisses me off is this.. Ofcourse I like the sexy pick...Wr rb qb De.. but the year we took two offensive lineman with both first round picks..passing on cutler and Addai.. Moroney I was pissed off... but I warmed up to the idea cause people like you told me how good it was...

Our line stil sucks...thats why im so fckn pissed off.. how many o-lineman do we have to draft? Also I dont see tangini being really aggressive in free agency.. like we are a team that doesnt need anything..

Last year we were asleep.. when the rest of the league was making moves.. leaonard davis was available..we didnt even lift a finger.. Im sick to my stomach half the times about the jets... I love them and I have been a fan since im 6 years old.. and all I see is one heart break after another..

We even fcked up our draft position because we won the last game..and you know? me and my brother knew they would win that game and laughed about it.. we have seen so much jet games..that when you live long enough you can see patterns emerge...

Did namath sell his sole to the devil? Im starting to believe that.. lol There no other way to figure all these bad things happening to the jets..

I can take a trip down memory lane... but I will spare you.. Only die hard gans would be at work talking on this board all day long.. and I respect all of you.. you are indeed true jet fans..

Bro I just think we need to address the offense.. and yes we need a fckn pass rush.. but is there anyone out there we can sign instead of drafting 2 undersized dt's or a undersized De that will be forced to play linebacker on our team??

Mcfadden is the real deal and can be better then peterson.. or any of the others...hes has the tools to do it.. he does have a disadvantage.. he wont have as good as an o-line as peterson but we can fix the o-line a number of ways.. I think the hiring of callahan will def help...

he was fired along with Offensive Coordinator Chris Palmer and Head Coach Dom Capers. Rick Smith replaced Casserly as the new General Manager.

Fumbles can be corrected..they did the same with tiki...

Hes fast..but hes also Big.. as for me wanting a face to the franchise and Im too old to want one.. thats absurd.. we need some sort of idenity.. Does that equal in wins? sometimes it doesnt.

I think I would like to watch the draft with you if your in the newyork area...lol I think that would be a fun experience.. You being disgusted and me cheering the pick..or the other way around..

I believe we all want the jets to win..we just cant decide the best way..but neither can our own gm

The thing that pisses me off is this.. Ofcourse I like the sexy pick...Wr rb qb De.. but the year we took two offensive lineman with both first round picks..passing on cutler and Addai.. Moroney I was pissed off... but I warmed up to the idea cause people like you told me how good it was...

Our line stil sucks...thats why im so fckn pissed off.. how many o-lineman do we have to draft? Also I dont see tangini being really aggressive in free agency.. like we are a team that doesnt need anything..

Last year we were asleep.. when the rest of the league was making moves.. leaonard davis was available..we didnt even lift a finger.. Im sick to my stomach half the times about the jets... I love them and I have been a fan since im 6 years old.. and all I see is one heart break after another..

We even fcked up our draft position because we won the last game..and you know? me and my brother knew they would win that game and laughed about it.. we have seen so much jet games..that when you live long enough you can see patterns emerge...

Did namath sell his sole to the devil? Im starting to believe that.. lol There no other way to figure all these bad things happening to the jets..

I can take a trip down memory lane... but I will spare you.. Only die hard gans would be at work talking on this board all day long.. and I respect all of you.. you are indeed true jet fans..

Bro I just think we need to address the offense.. and yes we need a fckn pass rush.. but is there anyone out there we can sign instead of drafting 2 undersized dt's or a undersized De that will be forced to play linebacker on our team??

Mcfadden is the real deal and can be better then peterson.. or any of the others...hes has the tools to do it.. he does have a disadvantage.. he wont have as good as an o-line as peterson but we can fix the o-line a number of ways.. I think the hiring of callahan will def help...

Yeah, I'd trade the #6 pick away in a heartbeat if we could get a proven player who was franchised by someone else.

Casserly was not fired along with Capers & his OC; don't know where you get this from. Casserly/Capers fired Palmer during the 2005 season. Then Casserly fired Capers & hired Kubiak. Kubiak had been signed as the HC for 4 months when the Texans drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush:

Palmer was fired in week 2 of the 2005 season by Capers (and/or Casserly).

Capers was fired after the 2005 season ended by Casserly.

Kubiak was hired on Jan 26, 2006 by Casserly.

Texans, with Kubiak's blessing, drafted Mario over Reggie in April 2006.

Casserly resigns on May 10, 2006. A move everyone in the NFL knows he was planning on making anyway. 2006 was to be his last draft no matter what, and agreed to stay on through the bulk of FA and the draft per the team's (and Kubiak's) request.

Not that Casserly was such a great GM (or even good), but the move that you incorrectly claim got him fired was one of the best moves he made. No one gets fired b/c of an unpopular draft pick 2 weeks after the draft.

And I watch the draft from my lair. Yes, in the NY Metro area.

Yeah, I'd trade the #6 pick away in a heartbeat if we could get a proven player who was franchised by someone else.

Casserly was not fired along with Capers & his OC; don't know where you get this from. Casserly/Capers fired Palmer during the 2005 season. Then Casserly fired Capers & hired Kubiak. Kubiak had been signed as the HC for 4 months when the Texans drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush:

Palmer was fired in week 2 of the 2005 season by Capers (and/or Casserly).

Capers was fired after the 2005 season ended by Casserly.

Kubiak was hired on Jan 26, 2006 by Casserly.

Texans, with Kubiak's blessing, drafted Mario over Reggie in April 2006.

Casserly resigns on May 10, 2006. A move everyone in the NFL knows he was planning on making anyway. 2006 was to be his last draft no matter what, and agreed to stay on through the bulk of FA and the draft per the team's (and Kubiak's) request.

Not that Casserly was such a great GM (or even good), but the move that you incorrectly claim got him fired was one of the best moves he made. No one gets fired b/c of an unpopular draft pick 2 weeks after the draft.

And I watch the draft from my lair. Yes, in the NY Metro area.

Well.. Him passing on the home town hero vince young..and bush was not a popular decision.. hindsight..it was good because vince has struggled after the madden curse and bush is not happy sharing time with deuce mcallister.. and now mario williams is coming into his own..but a breakout year from vince or bush will change all that again..

and btw the saints are retarded for picking bush anyways since they gave all that money deuce...

sperm you are overanalyzing

First came Hershal Walker. Then Came Bo Jackson. Now it's DMC

that's the short list of SEC dominator running backs by decade

no one in recent memory has dominated the SEC like DMC. not Deuce McAllister, Not Shawn Alexander, not fred taylor. DMC is a better prospect than all of those guys. Gotta go back to Bo to find some who dominated that league from day 1 and never stopped until he left.

he's a no brainer pick, and on this team with such a sorry offense it would be a dream come true

Archived