N.O. Times Picayune: Saints nearing Vilma

Gen X Jet

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/02/saints_nearing_vilma.html

The Saints are close to finalizing a deal that will bring middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma to the team in a trade with the New York Jets, league sources said.

The deal could be announced as early as later Thursday night or sometime on Friday.

Vilma, 6 foot 1, 230 pounds, is a four-year NFL veteran.

He played in nine games for New York, his season shortened by knee surgery. He had 43 total tackles in the nine games he played in 2007 for the Jets.

I hope this doesn't go through, because i beleive the best chance of nabbing Jenkins or Rogers is through trading vilma. Unless the panthers want drob instead? I am not sure, but i am eagerly waiting what's going to happen.

According to this article out of Carolina, Vilma would not be included in a deal for Jenkins:

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/02/jets-a-possible.html

According to this article out of Carolina, Vilma would not be included in a deal for Jenkins:

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/02/jets-a-possible.html

The notion i get is that Jenkins has a lost a step since his injuries that caused him to miss the majority of two seasons a couple years ago, however he wouldn't need to be an attacking DT in the jets scheme and dewayne robertson would be better utilized in the panthers defense. If we could somehow trade vilma to the saints for a pick and than still get kris jenkins from panthers while getting rid of drob, than this would be a hugely successfull offseason.

From Cimini:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/02/vilma-appears-to-be-on-way-to.html

Vilma appears to be on way to Saints

Tomorrow is going to be a wild day for the Jets.

The Jets are close to trading linebacker Jonathan Vilma to the Saints, several sources said tonight. Also, the Jets are aggressively pursuing Panthers nose tackle Kris Jenkins, sources said.

It

You guys do realize he's coming off of major knee surgery, is entering the last year of his contract, and does not fit our defense at all (meaning there's about a 2% chance he'd resign with us after this year)...Face it,regardless of your feelings about him as a player (see this thread/Sperm's posts on Vilma's overratedness), we just don't have the leverage in negotiations regarding Vilma

Are YOU kidding YOURSELF?

His value should be higher than a third...especially if the team that wants to trade for him plays a 4-3, Tampa/cover 2....he'll be a beast in that system, its proven already. If this goes thru...we got fleeced IMHO.

Hey if he was worth so much more than that, how come no one's offering more than a 3rd?

Answer: because he's not. This is (unfortunately for us) roughly the correct trade value for a player coming off an IR injury/surgery and two bad seasons in a row.

I'm still holding out hope for more, but I doubt we'll get it. I think the Saints pick #15 in round 3.

Hey if he was worth so much more than that, how come no one's offering more than a 3rd?

Answer: because he's not. This is (unfortunately for us) roughly the correct trade value for a player coming off an IR injury/surgery and two bad seasons in a row.

I'm still holding out hope for more, but I doubt we'll get it. I think the Saints pick #15 in round 3.

But every team knows we switched defenses, they also know that Vilma is a 4-3 LB.

Why the **** will you trade Vilma for a 3rd round pick ? WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?

This is a former ROY, former pro bowl LB, and most importantly he's a franchise LB.

And your giving him up for a 3rd rounder ?

So, how has Vilma played the last 2 years? And was he healthy this year?

If the answers to these questions are "sh#tty" and "no", then you have the answer to your question.

Archived