JETS CLOSE ON WOODY

gangreenman

The Jets are "pretty close" to finalizing a deal with free agent OL Damien Woody, according to Newsday's Tom Rock.

Woody was at Jets headquarters on Sunday. It looks like he's their top choice, ahead of Chargers castoff Shane Olivea, to replace RT Anthony Clement.

-Rotoworld

The Jets are "pretty close" to finalizing a deal with free agent OL Damien Woody, according to Newsday's Tom Rock.

Woody was at Jets headquarters on Sunday. It looks like he's their top choice, ahead of Chargers castoff Shane Olivea, to replace RT Anthony Clement.

-Rotoworld

F it !! Sign em BOTH !! Tell AC thanks, hit the road etc etc. :P

Haven't seen anyone comment yet on this guy's dedication issues that he had on the Lions.

I haven't heard anything about Woody's dedication. I'd assume that Mangini was familiar with they guy from when they were both with the Pats. He also should come fairly cheap. The Lions evidently tried to low-ball him.

I have heard dedication concerns about Shane Olivea. From the San Diego Union Tribune:

All three, knowing their roles here were either going to be diminished or extinguished, had asked to be released.

Olivea had quietly made known he was unhappy as a Charger in recent months. But it was thought the team would keep him at least through training camp, in part because of the big contract he signed in 2006.

Olivea lost his starting job at right tackle to Jeromey Clary in the middle of last season and fell out of favor with coaches over his work ethic and commitment.

Olivea was given a six-year contract a month before the 2006 season that already has paid him $9.5 million. The quick release signals the first glaring misstep by Smith in his awarding of long-term contracts to the Chargers' young players.

I hope the Jets don't think this guy is the answer. I'm thinking he's a two year stop gap player who brings a lot of versatility to the line which and CS would like. I think the Jets still grab a RT in the draft. I'm not against bringing him in at all. Almost any RT is an upgrade from Clement but they'll obviously still need depth at the position and a player to groom.

I hope the Jets don't think this guy is the answer. I'm thinking he's a two year stop gap player who brings a lot of versatility to the line which and CS would like. I think the Jets still grab a RT in the draft. I'm not against bringing him in at all. Almost any RT is an upgrade from Clement but they'll obviously still need depth at the position and a player to groom.

They may still like Bender at RT.

If they draft a RT, or like Bender... they could just slide Woody to RG, make Moore a back up again

I dont' think it comes as any surprise that Woody plays both guard and tackle. It leaves our options open in the draft, if we are in a position to grab Brandon Albert, or Gosder Childerous (spell?) it won't make any difference to us knowing that the other position is filled.

I don't think that the jets are leaning on this guy as the answer, but he will be handy come draft day. If nothing else, it gives us options...ya know, options where none of the answers are Adrian Clarke, or Anthony Clement.

They may still like Bender at RT.

I thought that for a second but then remembered that they used two guys to play O-line late in the season who I believe were undrafted PS guys and they played ahead of Bender. Can't like him that much.

Archived