Robertson trade NOT off, just "on life support" - ESPN.com

Bengals can't work out deal with Robertson so trade on hold

By Michael Smith

ESPN.com

The Jets and Bengals agreed to terms on a trade on Sunday that would send defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to Cincinnati, but by Monday the deal was "on life support," according to a source close to the situation.

The Jets were to receive the Bengals' fourth- and fifth-round picks (Nos. 114 and 151) in the upcoming draft, according to league sources. But sources say that Cincinnati and Robertson's agent, Hadley Englehard, were unable to agree on contract terms.

The deal could be revisited, but for now it is on hold. The Jets would apparently still like to move Robertson before he is due a roster bonus in June. No other deal is imminent, however.

Completion of the trade had been contingent upon Robertson agreeing to a new contract -- he had two years remaining on his rookie deal with New York -- and passing a physical.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum acknowledged that the Jets traded Robertson to Cincinnati, but it fell through.

"We were close today, but he's a member of our organization," Tannenbaum said. "Our offseason program starts March 17 and, unless something happens between now and then, we expect him to be here."

On Friday the Bengals had a deal in place to acquire Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks, but that trade fell through when it did not meet league approval. The Lions then traded Rogers to the Bengals' in-state rivals, the Browns, for a third rounder and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

In Robertson, 26, the Bengals were hoping to improve a defense that has ranked higher than 27th in yards allowed once in the past five seasons. They thought that Robertson would be a player who isn't as big or as dominant as Rogers has been in his first five season, but he is just as hungry for a fresh start. Robertson, 6-foot-1 and 310 pounds, would be a better fit as a penetrating "3-technique" tackle in Cincinnati's 4-3 scheme than he had been in the Jets' 3-4 the past two years.

In an interesting twist, the Bengals would have had on their roster two of the first four picks in the 2003 draft. In fact, Cincinnati selected quarterback Carson Palmer first overall that year from among a group of four finalists that also included Robertson, whom Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis (along with many other personnel evaluators) is said to have loved coming out of the University of Kentucky.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Bengals can't work out deal with Robertson so trade on hold

By Michael Smith

ESPN.com

The Jets and Bengals agreed to terms on a trade on Sunday that would send defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to Cincinnati, but by Monday the deal was "on life support," according to a source close to the situation.

The Jets were to receive the Bengals' fourth- and fifth-round picks (Nos. 114 and 151) in the upcoming draft, according to league sources. But sources say that Cincinnati and Robertson's agent, Hadley Englehard, were unable to agree on contract terms.

The deal could be revisited, but for now it is on hold. The Jets would apparently still like to move Robertson before he is due a roster bonus in June. No other deal is imminent, however.

Completion of the trade had been contingent upon Robertson agreeing to a new contract -- he had two years remaining on his rookie deal with New York -- and passing a physical.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum acknowledged that the Jets traded Robertson to Cincinnati, but it fell through.

"We were close today, but he's a member of our organization," Tannenbaum said. "Our offseason program starts March 17 and, unless something happens between now and then, we expect him to be here."

On Friday the Bengals had a deal in place to acquire Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks, but that trade fell through when it did not meet league approval. The Lions then traded Rogers to the Bengals' in-state rivals, the Browns, for a third rounder and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

In Robertson, 26, the Bengals were hoping to improve a defense that has ranked higher than 27th in yards allowed once in the past five seasons. They thought that Robertson would be a player who isn't as big or as dominant as Rogers has been in his first five season, but he is just as hungry for a fresh start. Robertson, 6-foot-1 and 310 pounds, would be a better fit as a penetrating "3-technique" tackle in Cincinnati's 4-3 scheme than he had been in the Jets' 3-4 the past two years.

In an interesting twist, the Bengals would have had on their roster two of the first four picks in the 2003 draft. In fact, Cincinnati selected quarterback Carson Palmer first overall that year from among a group of four finalists that also included Robertson, whom Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis (along with many other personnel evaluators) is said to have loved coming out of the University of Kentucky.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Tell ya what...we'll give Robertson, and to show our kindness, add a 1st rounder this year for Carson Palmer. We'll call it a "do over"

Tell ya what...we'll give Robertson, and to show our kindness, add a 1st rounder this year for Carson Palmer. We'll call it a "do over"

Touche. ;)

Robertson, Pennington + 6th overall pick for Carson Palmer.

Very nice. Could never happen, but a very nice thought indeed. :lickt:

If u love him so much Marvin then get this S*** together and take him!

I'm just wondering if this is a case of the Bungels just being cheap and thinking in 1998 terms instead of 2008. That's been their history. Every year they go into the season like a kazillion dollars under the cap.

Why wouldn't Robertson just hold out and become a free agent? the whole point of giving up picks is to have exclusive rights to renegotiate a contract thus allowing you to pay less. If I realize its pointless for him to resign, his agent sure as **** does. He knows A) the Jets keep him and pay him a ridiculous amount this year and take the cap hit or B) We most likely cut him and he gets multiple teams bidding on him. Hes doing the smart thing. His Agent, I'm sure has gaged interest around the league and we just payed Calvin ****ing pace 20 million guaranteed to be are OLB after basically have a Brian Thomas like season, he has a half a sack less then Drob in his career. Drob is gunna get payed whether its the Bengals or not, why should he care if the Jets get compensated?

Why wouldn't Robertson just hold out and become a free agent? the whole point of giving up picks is to have exclusive rights to renegotiate a contract thus allowing you to pay less. If I realize its pointless for him to resign, his agent sure as **** does. He knows A) the Jets keep him and pay him a ridiculous amount this year and take the cap hit or B) We most likely cut him and he gets multiple teams bidding on him. Hes doing the smart thing. His Agent, I'm sure has gaged interest around the league and we just payed Calvin ****ing pace 20 million guaranteed to be are OLB after basically have a Brian Thomas like season, he has a half a sack less then Drob in his career. Drob is gunna get payed whether its the Bengals or not, why should he care if the Jets get compensated?

I agree. The question isn't why DRob doesn't accept a deal, it's how ****ing stupid are the Bengals for making this deal without knowing they could sign him? I'm not 100% sure that we didn't overpay the guys we signed, but at least we don't look like inept morons like the Bengals front office. They have to know that they will have to give DROb pretty guarantees to get him to tear up what's left of his deal.

If the Bengals are in desperate need for a DT, and it seems they are, maybe they can come to a similar agreement to the one the Jets worked out for Vilma with the Saints. Take a fourth rounder now for one year of service. If Robertson signs an extention next year they can send another fourth rounder.

Gets him off our books, and lets Cincy have a long look at him in person before committing any guaranteed money.

I wonder what D Robs contract demands are?

I'd be curious also. He can't seriously expect tons more than Rogers & Jenkins. Though since those guys weren't slotted to make $10M this year he would seem to have more leverage.

I'd be more curious to see what it was he turned down. Cincy must have really cheaped-out & offered him like the same money in year one he's scheduled to make without a long-term deal.

In this market, truth is his value as a FA is probably around $20M guaranteed. Bengals probably offered $12M or so, thinking he would grab it since it's a couple million more than he was scheduled to make otherwise. If they did, then they're dreaming.

If the Bengals are in desperate need for a DT, and it seems they are, maybe they can come to a similar agreement to the one the Jets worked out for Vilma with the Saints. Take a fourth rounder now for one year of service. If Robertson signs an extention next year they can send another fourth rounder.

Gets him off our books, and lets Cincy have a long look at him in person before committing any guaranteed money.

I have no desire to have trade compensation conditional on the Bengals moronic, cheap front office signing anybody to a long term deal. There were other teams interested. Maybe we won't get such high draft picks, but we should be able to get something before we have to cut him on June 1. I know Denver had interest.

I also heard some rumbling on sirius NFL radio there are medical concerns around the league with Robertson

Shouldn't be any more than the day we drafted him. And that should be quelled by now. He's started just about every game for 5 years in a row & is only 26.

I have no desire to have trade compensation conditional on the Bengals moronic, cheap front office signing anybody to a long term deal. There were other teams interested. Maybe we won't get such high draft picks, but we should be able to get something before we have to cut him on June 1. I know Denver had interest.

Obviously, it's best if someone else steps up.

But if no one does, what's best? Keeping DRob for 2008, cutting him prior to June 1, or getting a fourth round pick in this year's draft while simultaneously getting him off the books?

But if no one does, what's best? Keeping DRob for 2008, cutting him prior to June 1, or getting a fourth round pick in this year's draft while simultaneously getting him off the books?

I would take any pick in any round to get him off the books, because that's one more pick then we will have come June 1 when we cut him. That's why I couldn't believe people where unhappy with us getting a 4th and a 5th, I creamed myself when I saw that. Everyone in the league knows we're cutting him, he has all the leverage.

If they offered us a 4th with the 5th conditional on signing him fine. I figure that the Bengals don't want to give us anything good because they don't want him at that salary. I'll take the best pick offered. Conditions be damned. If they are based on his perfomance fine, but contracts? Not with the Bengals.

I would take any pick in any round to get him off the books, because that's one more pick then we will have come June 1 when we cut him. That's why I couldn't believe people where unhappy with us getting a 4th and a 5th, I creamed myself when I saw that. Everyone in the league knows we're cutting him, he has all the leverage.

Agreed.

Archived