Pace Credits 3-4 for His Quick Strides

Smizzy

Pace Credits 3-4 for His Quick Strides

Published: 03-04-08

By Eric Allen

Senior Managing Editor

It was a sudden emergence. After recording 7.5 sacks and just 54 tackles in his first four years combined as a pro, Calvin Pace totaled 6.5 sacks last season and paced the Arizona Cardinals with a career-high 96 tackles.

A lot of people are saying this guy is the next Bryan Thomas. Is it possible he can be the next James Farrior? Played in a bad scheme 'til his final contract year, played well, moved on...became a pro-bowler. Just sayin'

A lot of people are saying this guy is the next Bryan Thomas. Is it possible he can be the next James Farrior? Played in a bad scheme 'til his final contract year, played well, moved on...became a pro-bowler. Just sayin'

Of course that's possible. I don't think that's the sticking point with most people though. I think that lies in the amount of money he's going to be making considering what he has accomplished in his short career.

Of course that's possible. I don't think that's the sticking point with most people though. I think that lies in the amount of money he's going to be making considering what he has accomplished in his short career.

Oh you mean like how we pay rookies unbelievable amounts of money before they play one down in the nfl.

A lot of people are saying this guy is the next Bryan Thomas. Is it possible he can be the next James Farrior?. Just sayin'

Who knows but 20 million guaranteed is a lot of money to spend to find out.

He had 6.5 and 96 tackles in his contract year in the new scheme

Brian Thomas 8.5 sacks and 77 Tackles in his

Oh you mean like how we pay rookies unbelievable amounts of money before they play one down in the nfl.

Thats exactly why we need to trade down instead of taking Bust DMC

We got Drob costing us 10% of are cap atm, and will be lucky to get a 7th rounder for him.

I don't disagree with that one bit. The jets paid A LOT of money for a guy who has proven very little. Just trying to add some objectivity to the discussion though. He may very well turn out to be another BT (who's poor play I think had a lot to do with the fact that the Jets had nothing to play for) but players like Farrior come along from time to time also. Not EVERY guy (although I do think the vast majority) who breaks out in his contract year does it "because he feels like it with money on the line". Some guys just change teams/schemes and things fall in to place. We'll find out which one of those Pace is at some point.

Pretty much the same thing but teams have little to no choice in that matter until the NFL puts their foot down.

Typically we're on the same side of an argument but not here. I feel like you're using faulty logic here. I agree that it's ridiculous that rookies get contracts that are completely unreasonable but to then compound it by doing it with free agents is not sound spending.

I'm not against Calvin Pace, I'm against Calvin Pace at 22 mil guaranteed.

Typically we're on the same side of an argument but not here. I feel like you're using faulty logic here. I agree that it's ridiculous that rookies get contracts that are completely unreasonable but to then compound it by doing it with free agents is not sound spending.

I'm not against Calvin Pace, I'm against Calvin Pace at 22 mil guaranteed.

Oh, I agree Pace cost too much, I just don't really care much. I'm tired of losing and not doing anything about it. I was just saying that paying someone based on potential and perceived future production is not totally unheard of. I'll also complain about rookie contracts any chance I can get.

Oh, I agree Pace cost too much, I just don't really care much. I'm tired of losing and not doing anything about it. I was just saying that paying someone based on potential and perceived future production is not totally unheard of. I'll also complain about rookie contracts any chance I can get.

Bingo.

Certainly seems like a lot. They are paying for future performance, I guess. It is a gamble, but who can say? He might become a bargain. He is freaking huge. That I like.

i'm excited for him to start his Jets career. i'm sick of watching others teams making suspect moves for players only for them to find out they are absolute studs. at some point it's got to be the Jets turn to find that "diamond in the rough." i think Pace could be it.

and as long his contract doesn't impede other moves down the road i'm fine with it. it's not my money. i'm also pretty sure he's better than barton.

Shortly after, Johnson made his helicopter available in the cause, allowing Pace to get a bird's-eye view of the Jets' new training facility being built in New Jersey.

That's got to make a pretty good impression on a guy when he wants to find out about the franchise. 10 bucks says they didn't try to get that helicopter off the ground with Kris Jenkins or Damien Woody in it.

I really don't like this move for both money and production. I still think we need an edge rusher to provide some form of pass rush for this team and I really doubt Pace is the guy to provide it. Hopefully he proves me wrong and shows that he is indeed a stud.

Archived