Anyone else excited for this years draft?

DieHardJetsFan

The best part about the trade for Jenkins, the signing of Pace, Woody and Faneca... Is that the Jets now have the chance to draft the best players on the board instead of drafting for position of need.

I would love to see us either draft Gholston or McFadden @ #6.

If we were to draft Gholston, we would have that Ware-Merriman type of 3-4 OLB. A player who can pressure the QB, Chase down the RB, and overall be the 3-4 OLB that every 3-4 team can only dream of having. With Jenkins up front, Harris and Barton in the middle, and Pace and Gholston rushing the QB while stuffing the run from the outside can simply be amazing, knowing that we still have Rhodes and Revis in the secondary

If we were to draft McFadden, we could have that Offensive player that is simply explosive with Amazing speed and potential, we could have that Play-Maker in the backfield, something like a Marshawn Lynch for Buffalo or Jones-Drew for Jax or even a Joseph Addai for the Colts. I know one thing, after watching McFadden since the begining of his sophore year with the Arkansa Razorbacks, he is NO Reggie Bush, he's not a WR whos simply playing in the backfield, he's a pure RB with great vision and speed. He can be that young gun for this Jets offense like Addai is for the Colts, Lynch is for the Bills, Jones-Drew is for the Jaguars, but I honestly feel that McFadden can be our A.Peterson with the skill and potential that McFadden possess out of the backfield.

Either way, I'm pumped up about that fact that this Jets team now has a chance to land either McFadden or Gholston. Either or would look perfect in Green and White for years to come.

Now this is where is gets exciting.

If we draft McFadden @#6 in the first round, I say we draft the best CB on the board with the 5th pick in the 2nd round to play with Revis and Rhodes in the secondary.

If we draft Gholston @#6 in the first round, I say we then draft the best WR on the board with the 5th pick in the 2nd round to play the slot position with Coles and Cotchery on the outside.

Another thought, when the Jets go with the 3 WR formation, how about we line up Coles in the slot? With his quickness, speed, route running and hands, Coles could be a GREAT Slot Wr... Just look at Welker.

We lost the 3rd round draft pick with the Jenkins trade (Great trade, in my eyes)

So with two picks in the 4th round... We could go O-Line and more O-Line and focus on position of needs in the later rounds

Getting an Explosive RB along with a CB with alot of potential-or- Getting a Great 3-4 OLB along with a WR with alot of potential is a great first day heading into day 2 when we get a chance to pick two times in the 4th round.

Thoughts?

The best part about the trade for Jenkins, the signing of Pace, Woody and Faneca... Is that the Jets now have the chance to draft the best players on the board instead of drafting for position of need.

I would love to see us either draft Gholston or McFadden @ #6.

If we were to draft Gholston, we would have that Ware-Merriman type of 3-4 OLB. A player who can pressure the QB, Chase down the RB, and overall be the 3-4 OLB that every 3-4 team can only dream of having. With Jenkins up front, Harris and Barton in the middle, and Pace and Gholston rushing the QB while stuffing the run from the outside can simply be amazing, knowing that we still have Rhodes and Revis in the secondary

If we were to draft McFadden, we could have that Offensive player that is simply explosive with Amazing speed and potential, we could have that Play-Maker in the backfield, something like a Marshawn Lynch for Buffalo or Jones-Drew for Jax or even a Joseph Addai for the Colts. I know one thing, after watching McFadden since the begining of his sophore year with the Arkansa Razorbacks, he is NO Reggie Bush, he's not a WR whos simply playing in the backfield, he's a pure RB with great vision and speed. He can be that young gun for this Jets offense like Addai is for the Colts, Lynch is for the Bills, Jones-Drew is for the Jaguars, but I honestly feel that McFadden can be our A.Peterson with the skill and potential that McFadden possess out of the backfield.

Either way, I'm pumped up about that fact that this Jets team now has a chance to land either McFadden or Gholston. Either or would look perfect in Green and White for years to come.

Now this is where is gets exciting.

If we draft McFadden @#6 in the first round, I say we draft the best CB on the board with the 5th pick in the 2nd round to play with Revis and Rhodes in the secondary.

If we draft Gholston @#6 in the first round, I say we then draft the best WR on the board with the 5th pick in the 2nd round to play the slot position with Coles and Cotchery on the outside. Another thought, when the Jets go with the 3 WR formation, how about we line up Coles in the slot? With his quickness, speed, route running and hands, Coles could be a GREAT Slot Wr... Just look at Welker.

We lost the 3rd round draft pick with the Jenkins trade (Great trade, in my eyes)

So with two picks in the 4th round... We could go O-Line and more O-Line and focus on position of needs in the later rounds

Getting an Explosive RB along with a CB with alot of potential-or- Getting a Great 3-4 OLB along with a WR with alot of potential is a great first day heading into day 2 when we pick 2 times in the 4th round.

Thoughts?

You're excited that we can draft BAP and you are going to specify what position from round two on? We'd better handle the Coles contract situation or we may be forced to draft for need or trade our picks for a WR. I can see the desire of picking up guys to fill needs, but the proper draft pick is a balance between team needs and BAP. I don't want to have any glaring needs. (WR, #2CB, backup OT)

McFadden has almost no chance of being a Jet.

Several reasons.

1) 15 fumbles in college. What's going to happen when he gets to the NFL with that label, and teams are stripping him every play. 15 fumbles is unacceptable.

2) Off field issues. Not just one mistake, but a pattern of immaturity that makes him a high risk at #6. Mangini just won't take him. I also think that as deep as this draft is in RB's, and there may be better RB's, McFadden is a waste at #6. I have a feeling he is one of those guys that are going to be sitting in the Green Room at 10.

Gholson is another issue. This guy seems to have all the tools. The thing that bothers me about him is I, like most everyone else, watched the LSU game. It's not that he sucked, he just looked disinterested. If I couldn't do anything else with the pick I would probably take him.

I a thread last night I believe it was PeterNorth came up with an idea that the more I think about it, the more I love it, and think it could actually happen,

Trade #6 and Coles to AZ. for Fitz. This seems perfect to me. A proven star, at a need position, for a questionable value pick, and a player who is at the end of his career, and is about to make a lot of trouble.

Fitz seems to be a decent person, who counts 14 million against the cap, and wouldn't cost much more then the #6. If you kick in Coles 11 million over the next two years, it's about even cap wise.

Sorry Peter for infringing on your territory but I really like the potential of this deal, and will probably play on it till the draft.

if he's on the board at 6, almost no chance they pass on him

he's the playmaker they need

forget abut the character or fumble concerns, the dude produced his ass off in the toughest league in all college football.

forget abut the character or fumble concerns, the dude produced his ass off in the toughest league in all college football.

No way they over look this when its the 6 pick in the draft. Only way we draft him, is to trade him IMO.

I really don't think NFL scouts will be forgetting about those things. The fact of the matter they don't need him. They will need a WR.

no question there are a lot of solid RB choices this year...

anyone have any idea who can possibly fall to us in Rd 2 considering we have the 6th pick of Rd 2, the Cheats forfeited one of their selections (so its basically the 5th pick in the round) and the needs of the teams ahead of us.

bottom line: we paid a ton for a new OLine...we're gonna use it. TJ and Wash are not enough.

Get Ghoulston then possibly consider a top flight RB or CB in Rd 2..then get some WR help...

McFadden has 4 kids with 2 different woman, so what? It's his life. He may make a great father at that.

Is he out stealing cars? Selling drugs? Killing people? In a gang? Beating up on woman? No he's not. This kid has dedicated his whole life into playing the game of football, stayed in school, never joined a gang or anything like that.

It makes me sick how people say he has Character issues because he has children or the fact that he actually got into ONE FIGHT while he was a college student. I'm sure just about everyone in the world has been in a fight or two,it's called sticking up for yourself as long as your not the bully in the situation. Has McFadden been introuble for fighting ever since? No, he's a young man who learned from his mistakes in the past, he's no Pacman Jones in my eyes.

As as far as the kids go, this just gives McFadden more reasons to work his ass off even harder than most of the other rookies who were drafted inorder to help support his children. Child support aint no joke.

Just about every young player may have character issues, it's part of growing up, but if teams passed on players just because of mistakes they made as an older teen-younger adult, we would never have players like Randy Moss who was given a 2nd chance in life.

He's also a really humble player on the field also. Just look at when he makes a huge run or even scores an exciting TD, he dont show boat, taunt the other team, do back flips or anything like that, he simply tosses the ball to the ref and goes on with his buisness.

I'm all for drafting Gholston @ #6. I'm sorry, thats just the way I feel

McFadden has 4 kids with 2 different woman, so what? It's his life. He may make a great father at that.

Is he out stealing cars? Selling drugs? Killing people? In a gang? Beating up on woman? No he's not. This kid has dedicated his whole life into playing the game of football, stayed in school, never joined a gang or anything like that.

It makes me sick how people say he has Character issues because he has children or the fact that he actually got into ONE FIGHT while he was a college student. I'm sure just about everyone in the world has been in a fight or two,it's called sticking up for yourself as long as your not the bully in the situation. Has McFadden been introuble for fighting ever since? No, he's a young man who learned from his mistakes in the past, he's no Pacman Jones in my eyes.

As as far as the kids go, this just gives McFadden more reasons to work his ass off even harder than most of the other rookies who were drafted inorder to help support his children. Child support aint no joke.

Just about every young player may have character issues, it's part of growing up, but if teams passed on players just because of mistakes they made as an older teen-younger adult, we would never have players like Randy Moss who was given a 2nd chance in life.

He's also a really humble player on the field also. Just look at when he makes a huge run or even scores an exciting TD, he dont show boat, taunt the other team, do back flips or anything like that, he simply tosses the ball to the ref and goes on with his buisness.

I'm all for drafting Gholston @ #6. I'm sorry, thats just the way I feel

Actually it's two fights.

He injured his foot in a fight the season before last in an off campus fight that cost him playing time. So it is not an isolated incident.

If he is so immature that he can't put a rubber on, maybe a team doesn't need him.

It may be his life but the 20 something million he would get at #6 is surely the teams business. The NFL has lost it's sense of humor with players who embarrass them.

Personally, I could care less if he's a "Gang Banger" or not.

What concerns me is 15 fumbles. He doesn't even have the receiving abilities of Bush, who everyone was screaming was a "once in a lifetime player" two years ago.

If you don't think fumbles matter in the NFL think back to Lamont Jordan a few years ago. Martin had 2 high ankle sprains, so bad they had to put both his feet in walking casts during the week. Jordan came in, recovering from a broken hand, put the ball on the ground twice, and we never saw him again.

McFadden is not a guy who breaks tackles, goes down way to easy for the NFL.

I understand why people are so enamored with McFadden, he does have spectacular college numbers. NCAA #'s frequently don't translate into the NFL.

Just say no to McFadden.

Ignoring need is dumb. That's how you end up giving Bernard Berrian $7M/yr (or yes,Alan Faneca at $8M/yr) out of desperation. Sure you didn't burn a top-10 pick on a WR or OG. So now you burn more money/yr than that top-10 pick makes. Or instead of taking a solid OG/OT with a 2nd-rounder who makes $1M/yr, signing Woody who makes $5M/yr.

Because these days, quite frankly, the going rate for an OG is the same as a RB in free agency.

Ignoring need is dumb. That's how you end up giving Bernard Berrian $7M/yr (or yes,Alan Faneca at $8M/yr) out of desperation. Sure you didn't burn a top-10 pick on a WR or OG. So now you burn more money/yr than that top-10 pick makes. Or instead of taking a solid OG/OT with a 2nd-rounder who makes $1M/yr, signing Woody who makes $5M/yr.

Because these days, quite frankly, the going rate for an OG is the same as a RB in free agency.

Great post, I do agree.

The fact that Mangini ignored the LG position last year and let Kendall walk was a huge mistake. Having Montgomery as our starting LG was an evern bigger mistake. The Jets front office put the Jets in position to fail last season, all because of the one million dollars that Kendall wanted.

But I can say I'm glad that we spent the money on Alan Faneca who can help Mangold and Ferguson in more ways than one. With the signing of Faneca, I can actually say... Pete Kendall who?

Not to worry.

We still have another18,000 or so threads to go on the Pennington, Clemens saga

I just remember when Pennington was a backup for 2 years and had an amazing season his 3rd year in the league in 2002, Lets give Kellen the same chance to have an amazing season with his 3rd year in the league

Ok, With the 6th pick in the first round, the New York Jets select Vernon Gholston out of Ohio State

With the 5th pick in the second round, the New York Jets select Kenny Phillips from THE U! Alot of Mock drafts have Kenny Phillips lasting till the middle of the 2nd round. I have followed Phillips since he's been a Hurricane, and wow, this kid can play.

Just think of a 3-4 Defense with

Young players such as Darrell Revis, Kerry Rhodes, Kenny Phillips, Vernon Gholston, and David Harris! That a secondary with 3 play-making ball hawks, and two explosive LB's with alot of potential in this 3-4 Defense.

With veteran players such as Jenkins: anchoring the D-Line as our NT (Only 28 years of age) with Calvin Pace rushing the QB from the outside, dropping back into coverage and even playing the MLB position in some passing situations, with Barton and Ellis both making plays as veteran leaders.

This defense would be amazing in 2 seasons, if not quicker.

Several reasons.

1) 15 fumbles in college. What's going to happen when he gets to the NFL with that label, and teams are stripping him every play. 15 fumbles is unacceptable.

2) Off field issues. Not just one mistake, but a pattern of immaturity that makes him a high risk at #6. Mangini just won't take him. I also think that as deep as this draft is in RB's, and there may be better RB's, McFadden is a waste at #6. I have a feeling he is one of those guys that are going to be sitting in the Green Room at 10.

Gholson is another issue. This guy seems to have all the tools. The thing that bothers me about him is I, like most everyone else, watched the LSU game. It's not that he sucked, he just looked disinterested. If I couldn't do anything else with the pick I would probably take him.

I a thread last night I believe it was PeterNorth came up with an idea that the more I think about it, the more I love it, and think it could actually happen,

Trade #6 and Coles to AZ. for Fitz. This seems perfect to me. A proven star, at a need position, for a questionable value pick, and a player who is at the end of his career, and is about to make a lot of trouble.

Fitz seems to be a decent person, who counts 14 million against the cap, and wouldn't cost much more then the #6. If you kick in Coles 11 million over the next two years, it's about even cap wise.

Sorry Peter for infringing on your territory but I really like the potential of this deal, and will probably play on it till the draft.

If I'm the Jets, I do this deal in a second and don't look back. But why would Arizona go for it?

Archived