NY Post: Musa Smith, Jesse Chatman, Ben Utecht

will

FREE-AGENT SPLURGE GIVES JETS FLEXIBILITY

By MARK CANNIZZARO

March 8, 2008 -- Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins and Damien Woody are JetsNew York Jets t.gif.

Is Darren McFadden next?

There was a definite method to the madness of the Jets' furious free agent spending and trading flurry during the last nine days - allowing them to select the right player with the sixth overall pick in next month's NFL Draft.

"Our goal was to give us flexibility in the draft," Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum told The Post yesterday.

Tannenbaum would not reveal whom the team is targeting in the first round. But the signings of Pace, an edge pass rusher who can play on the line with his hand in the dirt or standing up as a linebacker, and offensive linemen Faneca and Woody, mean the Jets won't feel pressured to fill a need at those spots in the draft.

Entering the draft in this liberated state could mean the Jets might, if McFadden available at the No. 6 overall pick, go after the Arkansas running back, who many believe could be a franchise player.

Despite the $138 million in new contracts, including $63 million in guaranteed money, the Jets are not finished spending.

"We still have a few other things we'd like to do," Tannenbaum said, though he declined to say exactly what else the Jets are seeking.

Multiple sources familiar with the team's thinking say the next player high on their wish list is Colts tight end Ben Utecht, a non-compensation restricted free agent who could be a nice complement to Chris BakerChris Baker t.gif, who had the best season of his career in 2007.

Two other players the Jets are speaking to are Miami running back Jesse Chatman and Ravens running back Musa Smith.

One player who has been reported to be close to signing with the Jets, Patriots safety Eugene Wilson, is not likely to sign with the team. Wilson, according to an NFL source, is believed to have priced himself out of the Jets' plans.

As for nose tackle Dewayne RobertsonDewayne Robertson t.gif, the former first-round pick whom the Jets tried to trade to Cincinnati for a fourth- and a fifth-round draft pick before the Bengals backed out of the deal, a source said it's "50-50" he'll be back with the Jets in 2008.

The source conceded it would create an awkward situation, because of the fact Jenkins has been signed and the team tried to move Robertson for a modest price. The recent flurry of acquisitions might allow the Jets to trade down from the sixth overall pick, a move that would not be a popular among Jets fans, who want more. They want McFadden. mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

As for nose tackle Dewayne RobertsonDewayne Robertson t.gif, the former first-round pick whom the Jets tried to trade to Cincinnati for a fourth- and a fifth-round draft pick before the Bengals backed out of the deal, a source said it's "50-50" he'll be back with the Jets in 2008.

If the Jets are considering cutting him if they can't cut a deal, they need to at least give the impression that they're willing to hold onto him. Otherwise, teams will just wait 'til he's released. That's what I'd do. Robertson should do all he can to facilitate a trade, IMHO. I don't believe his value as a FA will be as high as the the money left on his current deal. I think the league is onto the bowling ball with bad knees.

If the Jets are considering cutting him if they can't cut a deal, they need to at least give the impression that they're willing to hold onto him. Otherwise, teams will just wait 'til he's released. That's what I'd do. Robertson should do all he can to facilitate a trade, IMHO. I don't believe his value as a FA will be as high as the the money left on his current deal. I think the league is onto the bowling ball with bad knees.

At this point I dont think the Jets can fool anybody. Interest in Robertson is scant, to say the least. If he becomes a FA then teams will look at him, but I dont see them getting a pick so that a particular team can have an exclusive shot to sign him.

On the other hand I believe the Jets got a pick last year for Mackey (from TB) so anything is possible.

The recent flurry of acquisitions might allow the Jets to trade down from the sixth overall pick, a move that would not be a popular among Jets fans, who want more. They want McFadden.

where do we see the clarion call for McFadden? What board is he reading?

The recent flurry of acquisitions might allow the Jets to trade down from the sixth overall pick, a move that would not be a popular among Jets fans, who want more. They want McFadden.

Maybe Favorite Toon is really Mark Canizzaro.

what kind of a back is he RS? Compare him and his running style to somebody I might know...

That is kinda hard to do - but if I had to I would compare him to Priest Holmes. He is only 25 and a solid all around RB who can catch very well out of the backfield. He would be more of a full time running back than a 3rd down back or a power back. Some might say it is because he came from the same organization as Priest - but the comparison is more because he is a punishing type slashing RB.

I just cannot see keeping D Rob at his price tag..

if we re-do his contract, he'd be a really nice DE, and sub at NT. It would give our line a lot of flexability, although i'd sort of like to see sedrick ellis in green and white...can't have both i suppose.

if we re-do his contract, he'd be a really nice DE, and sub at NT. It would give our line a lot of flexability...

If they can't move him, I'd expect them to offer to hold onto him at a reduced rate before they cut him. I agree; at a lower price, he could be a useful player.

If he were going to take a lesser price he'd be in Cincinnati now.

I doubt that. He was probably offered a much much lesser price and declined. Unfortunately for him, if he's cut, he gets nothing. I would have thought he'd take the offer early from a team trading for him (obviously they want him) than to wait to be cut.

You can bet he won't reach the offer Cinci gave him a week ago, when the summer rolls around.

I doubt that. He was probably offered a much much lesser price and declined. Unfortunately for him, if he's cut, he gets nothing. I would have thought he'd take the offer early from a team trading for him (obviously they want him) than to wait to be cut.

You can bet he won't reach the offer Cinci gave him a week ago, when the summer rolls around.

I bet he will. So do he and his agent. If he gets cut he gets to pick his deal and I bet it'll be a real whopper.

I wouldn't mind picking up Musa Smith...he's physical, tough and can move the pile. If we sign him the running game will be so nasty IMO, smash mouth, I love it!

and would give us 3 different types of style running backs in Jones, Leon and Musa

I would rahter draft a RB in the 6th or 7th rounds rather than sign Smith or Chatman

But I am high on Ben Utecht for the simple fact this Jets offense loves to run the singleback formation, Coles, Cotchery with Baker and Utecht would give this Jets passing game alot of options downfield

I'd take that bet.

DT's are very scarce this season. The Jets were very lucky to get Jenkins at the price they did. I honestly believe he will be the impact of the four FA's they signed.

The reason Cinci was willing to pay draft pics for a guy who will probably be released, is they were hoping he would sign, and they could avoid the bidding war that is going to take place for him.

IMO the Jets will act like they will keep him to play DE if noone trades for him, then cut him May 30.

Only hope is, that the Jets will allow him to cut his own deal with any interested teams. That is what they did with Vilma.

Their price has been set. Now he can find out if anyone is willing to pay it.

if DMC is on the board and the Jets trade down it will be one of those "classic" Jets moments where the crowd is chanting and then heartbroken. It will be like when we were saying "WE WANT SAPP" and they took Brady. Absolute boneheadedness. I pray they don't pass on DMC for two late first rounders... unless they plan on trading those picks for another team's GM.

if DMC is on the board and the Jets trade down it will be one of those "classic" Jets moments where the crowd is chanting and then heartbroken. It will be like when we were saying "WE WANT SAPP" and they took Brady. Absolute boneheadedness. I pray they don't pass on DMC for two late first rounders... unless they plan on trading those picks for another team's GM.

Are there not two later first round guys that you view as approx equal to DMC?

Say, Groves and Hardy or a CB like Cason or a Lineman like Albert?

That comment stuck out to me as well. The guy has no clue. Reminds me of drafting D'Brick when the analysts all swore Jet fans would boo if it wasn't Leinart, and obviously the fans in attendance approved of that selection.

I'd take that bet.

DT's are very scarce this season. The Jets were very lucky to get Jenkins at the price they did. I honestly believe he will be the impact of the four FA's they signed.

The reason Cinci was willing to pay draft pics for a guy who will probably be released, is they were hoping he would sign, and they could avoid the bidding war that is going to take place for him.

IMO the Jets will act like they will keep him to play DE if noone trades for him, then cut him May 30.

Only hope is, that the Jets will allow him to cut his own deal with any interested teams. That is what they did with Vilma.

Their price has been set. Now he can find out if anyone is willing to pay it.

Good argument. You and Dom might be right on with that.

I am, as most are, hoping that we can get something for him. He has been a good player for us, just not worth his cost.

Bit: If McFadden is there at #6 do you consider the pick untouchable or would you accept something along the lines of the trade chart (in the case of Dallas its both first round picks, the third plus a low round pick)?

Bit: If McFadden is there at #6 do you consider the pick untouchable or would you accept something along the lines of the trade chart (in the case of Dallas its both first round picks, the third plus a low round pick)?

He thinks any time you trade down you'll end up with nothing like Parcells did. Nevermind that Parcells got anally raped value-wise on every trade-down. I think we moved down from #1 to #6 & picked up only a 3rd. But he didn't want the last blue-chip prospect either, and passed on Walter Jones for James Farrior and like a 4th rounder.

Archived