Not sure why I am posting this....

Garb

....needed a homerless forum to post my pain ;)

Watch Romeo Crennel scoop up this savvy vet.

Brown not likely to receive offer to return for 16th year

Christopher L. Gasper

Globe Staff / March 13, 2008

The Patriots are prepared to part ways with wide receiver Troy Brown, as the team is not planning to offer its all-time leader in receptions a contract for the 2008 season.

more stories like thisAccording to a source with knowledge of the situation, out of courtesy to Brown, the Patriots recently informed the 15-year veteran, who is a free agent, that he was not in their immediate plans and that if he was interested in returning for a 16th NFL season he was free to field offers from other teams.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined to confirm the report, citing team policy. Calls to Brown's agent, Gary Uberstine, were not returned.

Brown played last year under a one-year deal for the veteran minimum base salary of $820,000, $435,000 of which was guaranteed. He also had a $40,000 signing bonus. The veteran minimum deal this year is $830,000.

It's unclear if the 36-year-old Brown, who has played his entire career with the Patriots, is planning to play another season. A source close to Brown told the Globe March 5 that Brown feels he can still play. The same source said yesterday that other teams have expressed interest in Brown, who played in just one game last season.

Only quarterback Steve Grogan (16 seasons) has had a longer Patriots career than Brown, who tied defensive lineman Julius Adams for the second-longest tenure with the franchise last season.

If 2007 was Brown's last season in a Patriots uniform, it didn't do his distinguished career justice. The team's leader in receptions with 557, Brown didn't catch a pass.

He missed all of training camp following offseason knee surgery and was on the reserve/physically unable to perform list for the first 11 games of the season. Brown was activated Nov. 27, but his only action came as a punt returner in a 28-7 victory over the Dolphins Dec. 23. He returned six punts for 55 yards.

The team's all-time leader in punt returns (252) and punt return yardage (2,625), Brown uncharacteristically had a punt carom off his facemask for a fumble against Miami.

He dressed but did not play in the Patriots' 31-20 playoff win over the Jaguars Jan. 12. Injured cornerback Ellis Hobbs revealed after the Jacksonville game that Brown, who was pressed into action as a cornerback in 2004, intercepting three passes that year, and played defensive snaps in 2005 and 2006, was ready to reprise his role as a defensive back.

But Brown was inactive for both the AFC Championship game and Super Bowl XLII.

While it seems as if Brown's days in Foxborough, which began in 1993 when the team drafted him in the eighth round out of Marshall, may be coming to an end, things can change fast in the NFL.

If the Patriots were in need of an experienced receiver and Brown was in shape and available, that could pave the way for a return.

"When you look up the New England Patriots in the dictionary, there's a big picture of Troy Brown's face," said Tom Brady in January 2007. "He's everything that we stand for. I think when guys come in here and they're trying to figure out what it means to fit in, all you have to do is look at Troy and the preparation that he puts in each week and the way he lays it on the line."

troy brown is a class act he deserves a better uniform

15 Years as Patriot, and no one has served that uniform better.

Many of you compared him to Wayne Cherbet - the biggest joke going on this board since the Penny versus Brady argument. Jets fans....not too bright sometimes. ;) But always up for a gay 'ole time.

Many of you compared him to Wayne Cherbet - the biggest joke going on this board since the Penny versus Brady argument. Jets fans....not too bright sometimes. ;) But always up for a gay 'ole time.

Are you actually suggesting Troy > Wayne?

Are you actually suggesting Troy > Wayne?

It's not a suggestion. It's FACT! You're inability to grasp that is understandable though. Jest fans have lived in la-la land for so long - delusion is a way of life. :P

:wtf:

chrebet>brown no question

I guess you will be heading to Cle for a few games...PM me and i will

recommend what hotels not to go;)

I guess you will be heading to Cle for a few games...PM me and i will

recommend what hotels not to go;)

I will always wish Brown well - and hope to be in attendance at Gillette when they retire his number - but I cheer for the laundry.

Some of you are ridiculous. Yup, delusional. Some of you find that ironic, but compared to many of you, I'm pretty balanced. For example, half of you have claimed that the Jets are the beasts of the East with your "impact" FA signings. Problem is, the only "impact" signing is Faneca. The rest of 'em are over-paid jags. At least I know enough to understand that the Pats secondary sucks eggs and the LB's are one injury away from sucking really old eggs.

Troy Brown lead the Patriost to three SB's with heart and big play talent. Wayne Chrebet lead his team in heart and concussions.

Some of you are ridiculous. Yup, delusional. Some of you find that ironic, but compared to many of you, I'm pretty balanced. For example, half of you have claimed that the Jets are the beasts of the East with your "impact" FA signings. Problem is, the only "impact" signing is Faneca. The rest of 'em are over-paid jags. At least I know enough to understand that the Pats secondary sucks eggs and the LB's are one injury away from sucking really old eggs.

Troy Brown lead the Patriost to three SB's with heart and big play talent. Wayne Chrebet lead his team in heart and concussions.

your using a completely different argument to support your homerism for troy. troy was a good player a class act who would probably had warned belly not to cheat. but he is no HALL OF FLAMER

I will bet you that Kraft will not retire 80.

He was a good playa for Pats, Retired #'s are for great playa's(should be)

wayne chrebet 580 rec 7365 yards 12.7 avg 41 tds

troy brown 557 rec 6366 yards 11.4 avg 31 tds

Wayne Chrebet is so much better.

I will bet you that Kraft will not retire 80.

He was a good playa for Pats, Retired #'s are for great playa's(should be)

He was a great player for the Patriots but not one of the NFL greats. Players do get their numbers retired for that and I'd bet the Patriots will retire #80.

Wow, what a way to widen the gap between pats and jets fans. What a prick. Troy Brown is a class act and I would have loved to have him on my team. I can easily see the comparisons between Troy and Chrebet. Both guys played with their hearts on their uni's and both guys were and are class acts.

It's not a suggestion. It's FACT! You're inability to grasp that is understandable though. Jest fans have lived in la-la land for so long - delusion is a way of life. :P

Fact?

Name - Games - Receptions - Yards - Avg - Long - TD - First Downs - FD % (FD/Rec)

Chrebet - 152 - 580 - 7365 - 12.7 - 70 - 41 - 379 - 65.3%

Brown - 191 - 557 - 6366 - 11.4 - 82 - 31 - 310 - 55.7%

So in almost 40 less games, Chrebet has more catches/yards, a better average, 10 more TD's (in almost 40 less games, I'll point this out again), more first downs, and a higher % of his catches went for first downs.

But Brown had an 82 yard TD to Chrebets long of 70. I guess that's what tips the scale back in Brown's favor :rolleyes:

And Garb calls Jets' fans homers? Yeah, ok :lol:

He was a great player for the Patriots but not one of the NFL greats. Players do get their numbers retired for that and I'd bet the Patriots will retire #80.

That is a pretty sad commentary for a team with 3 SB wins if TB was among

the great ones?

Question: does Matt Walsh get his videocamera retired too?

That is a pretty sad commentary for a team with 3 SB wins if TB was among

the great ones?

Question: does Matt Walsh get his videocamera retired too?

Why is that a sad commentary? You can measure greats on more than stats alone. The guy has been a Patriot for 15 seasons and has made more big plays than just about any other player. Played CB, WR and PR.

Garb,

I am sorry you have lost one of your favorites. When Chrebet was forced to retire I was crushed. I hope you can remember the good times you had watching Troy.

And if you need some comforting.... you could take me out for breakfast :):P:)

This isnt the time or place to compare who was better... poor garbie is in mourning. let her mourn in peace!!!

Why is that a sad commentary? You can measure greats on more than stats alone. The guy has been a Patriot for 15 seasons and has made more big plays than just about any other player. Played CB, WR and PR.

He deserves a Troy Brown day 4 sure,,, Not his # retired

Archived