The after free agency mock

Jetscode1

After all the free agent pick ups wanted to re-project the JETS mock draft.

Check it out and let me know what you think...

TRADE: 1st round pick #6 to Dallas for #22 and 28.

Picks:

1st round pick #22 James Hardy WR Indiana

We get a large end zone target who is more than just a possession receiver. The comparisons to Burress are spot on. He will stretch the field and provide us the big play capability that has been sorely lacking.

1st round pick #28 Jarod Mayo ILB Tennessee

Has an excellent burst off the ball and is fundamentally solid. Plays the run and pass equally well. Has good size and speed and made a lot of tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He will make a formidable duo with Harris as the seeds of a dominating defense.

2nd round pick #36 Antoine Cason CB Arizona

Cason has solid man-to-man cover skills. Mangini loves intangibles and this kid has the intelligence and leadership to be a coach on the field. He is strong enough to cover big WRs and pass catching TEs. JETS go a long way toward building a dominating defense by matching up two top corners for the next decade.

4th round pick #98 Mike McGlynn OG Pittsburgh

McGlynn can play any one of the offensive line positions and gets the perfect opportunity to develop behind Moore and Woody. The rep on him is strong at the point of attack who plays with a nasty streak. Even after our free agent pick up this is the kind of player we need. The JETS get great value in the fourth round.

4th round pick #109 Kendall Langford DE HAMPTON

Langford has a big frame (close to three bills) and plays very strong at the point of attack and will help us control the running game. He will fall on many teams draft board because of limited experience at against top competition and less than stellar Senior Bowl. Langford plays football with a very high motor has plenty of upside as a 3-4 DE.

6thround pick #162 Chad Rinehart OG Northern Iowa

He played OT in college but projects inside in the NFL. Not impressive from a physical standpoint but has a big frame plays very tough and understands the game. He adds versatility and depth to OL.

7th round pick #193 Anthony Alridge RB/WR Houston

Aldridge is another smart player with superb quickness andexcellent hands. Creates match-up nightmares as a slot WR, too fast for a LB to cover and too quick for most safeties. The JETS get the closest thing to Wes Welker.

After all the free agent pick ups wanted to re-project the JETS mock draft.

Check it out and let me know what you think...

TRADE: 1st round pick #6 to Dallas for #22 and 28.

Picks:

1st round pick #22 James Hardy WR Indiana

We get a large end zone target who is more than just a possession receiver. The comparisons to Burress are spot on. He will stretch the field and provide us the big play capability that has been sorely lacking.

1st round pick #28 Jarod Mayo ILB Tennessee

Has an excellent burst off the ball and is fundamentally solid. Plays the run and pass equally well. Has good size and speed and made a lot of tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He will make a formidable duo with Harris as the seeds of a dominating defense.

2nd round pick #36 Antoine Cason CB Arizona

Cason has solid man-to-man cover skills. Mangini loves intangibles and this kid has the intelligence and leadership to be a coach on the field. He is strong enough to cover big WRs and pass catching TEs. JETS go a long way toward building a dominating defense by matching up two top corners for the next decade.

4th round pick #98 Mike McGlynn OG Pittsburgh

McGlynn can play any one of the offensive line positions and gets the perfect opportunity to develop behind Moore and Woody. The rep on him is strong at the point of attack who plays with a nasty streak. Even after our free agent pick up this is the kind of player we need. The JETS get great value in the fourth round.

4th round pick #109 Kendall Langford DE HAMPTON

Langford has a big frame (close to three bills) and plays very strong at the point of attack and will help us control the running game. He will fall on many teams draft board because of limited experience at against top competition and less than stellar Senior Bowl. Langford plays football with a very high motor has plenty of upside as a 3-4 DE.

6thround pick #162 Chad Rinehart OG Northern Iowa

He played OT in college but projects inside in the NFL. Not impressive from a physical standpoint but has a big frame plays very tough and understands the game. He adds versatility and depth to OL.

7th round pick #193 Anthony Alridge RB/WR Houston

Aldridge is another smart player with superb quickness andexcellent hands. Creates match-up nightmares as a slot WR, too fast for a LB to cover and too quick for most safeties. The JETS get the closest thing to Wes Welker.

Unbelievable... this is so bad its not even funny.. first you make a up a trade that wont happen..then you select players that defeats what we did in free agency..

Unbelievable... this is so bad its not even funny.. first you make a up a trade that wont happen..then you select players that defeats what we did in free agency..

First post without mentioning his name...nice...any specifics to your objections or just suxx in general.

This team needs offensive gamebreakers. Show me one in your draft?

While a large end zone target would be NICE, we need GAMEBREAKERS

I think Hardy helps the red zone offense. The offense line additions from free agency improves the running game. If the coaching staff utilizes Washington more I think there is tremendous opportinuity for more big plays. Are you suggesting McFadden or you had something else in mind? The mock is a little defense oriented but with either KC (second year player) or Chad QBing we will need a strong defense to match up with the Pats or Colts.

You guys are all ridiculous, there's absolutely nothing bad about this draft.

Favorite toon; besides him not drafting mcfadden, what did he do that defeats what we did in free agency?? We got rid of vilma and we have a definate need at ILB; I will admit that Mayo isn't the best ILB, becuase he does struggle to shed blockers and will be a fantastic MLB for a tampa 2 team. I would go with Curtis Lofton who is my favorite LB in the draft, but that would be a bit high for him right now.

James hardy fills a huge need; he is an offensive playmaker that all you girls are whining about. He's tall, fast for his size, runs good routes for being as tall as he is, has soft hands and has good body awareness. Not sure what we did in free agency that defeats this.

Antone cason; extremely productive in college, playmaker, great hands for a dback, very long arms and has excellent play recognition. The kid is one of the best football players on the defensive side of the ball and timed a lot better than people thought. This high in the top of the second may be too high for him, so a trade down would be nice, but he is a fantastic player.. We havn't picked up a CB in free agency or a trade so please what have we done to defeat the purpose of this pick??

McGlynn and Rinehart are two very smart and tough OGs. They will be tremendous backups for a couple of years and one of them will take over for faneca; one of them could easily compete with moore for the starting job. So, we picked up a 30 year old OG and all of a sudden depth and replacements on the Oline become superfluous?? You've got to be kidding me.

Kendal Langford; great frame, super strong and is one tough SOB. He has a great bull rush, but he needs some work on his technique. He offers us flexibility, becuase he can play 34 DE for us and also could play a little 43 UT if we switch to the 43. Correct me if i'm wrong, but ellis isn't the best fit at 34 DE and we definately need some size on the line and his eventual replacement.

Now, i understand you and ghost want mcfadden, but if you are going to criticize this guy atleast make it constructive. McFadden may very well be our pick, but atleast tell the guy why you don't like it and give some pointers.

Also, please tell me what we did in free agency that defeats these picks?? I would love to be englightened.

Perhaps, but the nature of the draft pick trades is changing. I think "the chart" is becoming less of the standard value of a draft pick.

There is a new, adjusted chart, some teams are using.. but 6 for 22/28 isn't even close.

LMAO, why is it bad? cause we dont get Mcfadden? Get over it bud. This would be a good draft, we'd get a WR that could play the slot or #2 for us this year and can be our potential #1 WR down the road in Hardy, we would get an ILB that is better than Barton, a capable 2nd CB, and an OT (McGlynn actually played RT most of his carreer at Pitt) that might be able to compete with Damien Woody for the starting RT spot, and could eventually replace Woody at that spot. Also, Langford would add depth at the DE spot, as he is big enough for the position and can replace Ellis when his contract runs out.

Also, the OG depth we'd be getting with Rinehart in the 6th round who may also be able to replace Moore or Faneca down the road.

I would be very happy if our draft turned out like this.

You do realize #6 for #22/#28 is us getting ripped off big time right?

Maybe our FO doesn't want to pump 17+ million into one player or they feel they need two players instead of one; maybe they would take less value becuase they don't want anyone at the top.

That wasn't the point of my post; the guy put up a mock and instead of rip him down and act like a little school girl these guys should give him constructive criticism. However, that poses a problem when they don't know or havn't seen half of these guys, so if they don't see mcfadden they tear it down. I didn't like the mayo pick, but notice how i didn't flip off my rocker?? I instead gave him a player i think fits better in our scheme and where he would probably be drafted.

I dont necessarily know about that. Personally, I might prefer getting a WR and CB/LB in round 1 rather then getting one of those 2 with the 6th pick. Especially since this draft doesnt happen to be top heavy at all...

Also, if we can get a mid round pick for Drob, then this trade with Dallas wouldnt be bad at all IMO.

He's going to cry about anything that doesn't have the Jets grabbing McFadden, just do your best to ignore him.

You guys are all ridiculous, there's absolutely nothing bad about this draft.

Favorite toon; besides him not drafting mcfadden, what did he do that defeats what we did in free agency?? We got rid of vilma and we have a definate need at ILB; I will admit that Mayo isn't the best ILB, becuase he does struggle to shed blockers and will be a fantastic MLB for a tampa 2 team. I would go with Curtis Lofton who is my favorite LB in the draft, but that would be a bit high for him right now.

James hardy fills a huge need; he is an offensive playmaker that all you girls are whining about. He's tall, fast for his size, runs good routes for being as tall as he is, has soft hands and has good body awareness. Not sure what we did in free agency that defeats this.

Antone cason; extremely productive in college, playmaker, great hands for a dback, very long arms and has excellent play recognition. The kid is one of the best football players on the defensive side of the ball and timed a lot better than people thought. This high in the top of the second may be too high for him, so a trade down would be nice, but he is a fantastic player.. We havn't picked up a CB in free agency or a trade so please what have we done to defeat the purpose of this pick??

McGlynn and Rinehart are two very smart and tough OGs. They will be tremendous backups for a couple of years and one of them will take over for faneca; one of them could easily compete with moore for the starting job. So, we picked up a 30 year old OG and all of a sudden depth and replacements on the Oline become superfluous?? You've got to be kidding me.

Kendal Langford; great frame, super strong and is one tough SOB. He has a great bull rush, but he needs some work on his technique. He offers us flexibility, becuase he can play 34 DE for us and also could play a little 43 UT if we switch to the 43. Correct me if i'm wrong, but ellis isn't the best fit at 34 DE and we definately need some size on the line and his eventual replacement.

Now, i understand you and ghost want mcfadden, but if you are going to criticize this guy atleast make it constructive. McFadden may very well be our pick, but atleast tell the guy why you don't like it and give some pointers.

Also, please tell me what we did in free agency that defeats these picks?? I would love to be englightened.

I like Lofton as well. I like Mayo only slightly higher and only because he may be a little better in coverage. He's a solid seocond round pick. I would be comfortable if Tangini took him at 36. They had Harris pegged right.

Perhaps, but the nature of the draft pick trades is changing. I think "the chart" is becoming less of the standard value of a draft pick.

There is a new, adjusted chart, some teams are using.. but 6 for 22/28 isn't even close.

The value relates to a mid to late 3rd rounder...I thought about some of the rumors that had Dallas including Bobby Carpenter or a 4th round pick in 09. I just thought it was more realistic to not include that sweetner just to get a better review of the mock. Interesting enough I came to the conclusion that the two first rounders were good enough for me and possibly the JETS front office.

Here is how I thought it made sense.

The old value chart does not take the guaranteed money paid to top of the first round picks. Any of these picks have the potential to bust and the salary cap implications is a drag when they do. If there wasn't a deal offered (or rumored) then we pick the BPA and press. But luckily or unluckily (depending on opinion of players at top) Jerry Jones shot his mouth off about wanting DMC. It sounds an awful lot like we have a suitor for the sixth pick if DMC is available. Not only does he want the target player but he also has the ammunition (22 & 28) to make the deal.

I also tried to consider the angle Tangini would take in the draft after their recent free agency splurge. I'll guess, if C. Long is available he becomes a JET. J. Long or Clady are talented but no longer a desparate need. Dorsey and Ellis don't fit. Gholston or Harvey, maybe but they just signed Pace. That leaves Ryan and McFadden. They could draft Ryan but he does not help them this year and the free agency moves lead me to believe they are expecting (need) to win this year. All the moves so far lead me to believe they are interested in taking McFadden. They might take him or they may pursue the trade angle with Jerry Jones who has the mancrush of a lifetime. I thought I'd pursue the trade angle its definitely more interesting and I like researching the possible picks. Don't take it personal when I haven't drank the McFadden Kool Aid. The character concerns plus the knocks about falling on the first hit lead me to think Tangini won't be calling his name if available but time will tell.

Is this a good move for the JETS? The mock attempted to address the remaining team needs after free agency if we had #22 and #28 instead of #6. I appreciate most of the comments but still think the possible value of #22 and #28 outweighs #6 and is in our best long term interests. Most of the posters on this site have very strong opinions on the players who best make the JETS better. Post them. I'd at least consider your proposed picks without immediately bemoaning the fact we lost out the next Adrian Peterson. He could also be the next Blair Thomas.

I posted this in another thread but it applies here too so:

In the draft I think we'd take Gholston if available (which is what conuses me about the Pace signing). We still don't have an elite or even good pass rusher and Gholston (who has drawn comparisons to Shawn Merriman) could provide us with just that. Pass rush I have always said, is by far and away the most important aspect of any defence. We are desperately weak in that area and will never have an elite D if that is not addressed.

Other potential options may include:

Chris Long - Right now he'd be my favourite choice at 6, however I just know he won't be available so won't waste my time getting excited over him.

Darren McFadden - Wouldn't be against it if he's available, has amazing potential despite some obvious flaws in his game. Could provide an offensive playmaker we haven't had in years.

Leodis McKelvin - We need a 2nd CB and with McKelvin we could have one of the best CB tandems in the league for many years. I like him a lot more than Cromartie and again although I'd prefer Gholston, I wouldn't be against it.

Matt Ryan - I don't think we should take a QB but Ryan woould draw some interest. He's the best QB in this draft IMO and could be great at the next level. He certainly merits consideration because of our current QB situation but I personally am happy enough with either Chad or Clemens provided we put talent around them (which we seem to be doing)

Trade down. Aqquire more picks - This would be, by far and away my favourite option if we were able to get good value for the #6 pick. Unfortunately it's also the most unlikely scenario IMO because it's very tough to find a reasonable suiter. Dallas have been mentioned but I really doubt they're that high on McFadden.

So as you can imagine I at least love the idea of the trade, however not a fan of the Mayo pic, would much rather we pick up a 3-4 OLB (Tweener) there. maybe Harvey or Groves if available. Love the hardy pick though.

I posted this in another thread but it applies here too so:

In the draft I think we'd take Gholston if available (which is what conuses me about the Pace signing). We still don't have an elite or even good pass rusher and Gholston (who has drawn comparisons to Shawn Merriman) could provide us with just that. Pass rush I have always said, is by far and away the most important aspect of any defence. We are desperately weak in that area and will never have an elite D if that is not addressed.

Other potential options may include:

Chris Long - Right now he'd be my favourite choice at 6, however I just know he won't be available so won't waste my time getting excited over him.

Darren McFadden - Wouldn't be against it if he's available, has amazing potential despite some obvious flaws in his game. Could provide an offensive playmaker we haven't had in years.

Leodis McKelvin - We need a 2nd CB and with McKelvin we could have one of the best CB tandems in the league for many years. I like him a lot more than Cromartie and again although I'd prefer Gholston, I wouldn't be against it.

Matt Ryan - I don't think we should take a QB but Ryan woould draw some interest. He's the best QB in this draft IMO and could be great at the next level. He certainly merits consideration because of our current QB situation but I personally am happy enough with either Chad or Clemens provided we put talent around them (which we seem to be doing)

Trade down. Aqquire more picks - This would be, by far and away my favourite option if we were able to get good value for the #6 pick. Unfortunately it's also the most unlikely scenario IMO because it's very tough to find a reasonable suiter. Dallas have been mentioned but I really doubt they're that high on McFadden.

So as you can imagine I at least love the idea of the trade, however not a fan of the Mayo pic, would much rather we pick up a 3-4 OLB (Tweener) there. maybe Harvey or Groves if available. Love the hardy pick though.

Good analysis. I too got seriously confused by the Pace signing. The only thing I can make of it is they cooled to Gholston and/or Harvey and don't think C. Long will get to them.

Normally 22+28 for 6 doesn't sound even but the pool is so even spread this year. To be honest, I don't think there's much 1st round talent at all, just a whole lot of 2nd round caliber players. So would I do 22+28 for 6 this year? Possibly. Would I do Hardy/Mayo over Gholston? Maybe, yes.

Archived