Let's Go Mets!

raffyD

There were so many Yanks and Sox threads I felt we needed a Met's thread to even it out a bit.

I was thinking today about Milledge and I got this feeling in my stomach that was not very good. I think he is going to BLOW UP this year and I have a really bad feeling the Mets made a mistake.

Beyond that, I have nothing else to add.

Signed:

Paranoid Mets fan

The Mets are going to run away with their division. Milledge may be in prison before the season is over.

Relax.

I dont think Milledge will break out this year... he is going to be a pretty good outfielder in a year or 2. but not now.

And the Mets arent winning the division. They will win 90, but miss the playoffs. Phillies run away with it due to injuries crippling the mets.

IF the mets can stay healthy, they have a chance.

but they wont stay healthy. this team and the players are snakebitten.

I dont think Milledge will break out this year... he is going to be a pretty good outfielder in a year or 2. but not now.

And the Mets arent winning the division. They will win 90, but miss the playoffs. Phillies run away with it due to injuries crippling the mets.

I highly doubt the the Phillies will "run away with the division" if the Mets win 90 games this year. Are you expecting Philly to win about 100 games????

Where is the Phillies pitching that will win all those games- let Charlie Manuel know

Hamels- 15-20 (wins)

Myers- 15-20

Moyer 10-15

Kendrick 10-15

Eaton 7-12

they have a strong lineup that will help cover their weak bottom half of the rotation.

they will beat the weak NL teams on offense and the occasional good pitching performance.

The Phillies are in the same position as the mets... either they are going to be real good or are going to crash and burn. I just dont expect them to suck. Mets, if they stay relatively healthy, will compete. But they wont stay healthy.

For the Mets

Santana 15-20 (wins)

Pedro- 10-15

Maine- 13-17

Perez- 12-17

Pelfrey/El Duckie- 7-12

Hamels- 15-20 (wins)

Myers- 15-20

Moyer 10-15

Kendrick 10-15

Eaton 7-12

they have a strong lineup that will help cover their weak bottom half of the rotation.

they will beat the weak NL teams on offense and the occasional good pitching performance.

The Phillies are in the same position as the mets... either they are going to be real good or are going to crash and burn. I just dont expect them to suck. Mets, if they stay relatively healthy, will compete. But they wont stay healthy.

For the Mets

Santana 15-20 (wins)

Pedro- 10-15

Maine- 13-17

Perez- 12-17

Pelfrey/El Duckie- 7-12

Hmmmm, so through this simple analysis, we are to conclude that Hamels=Santana, Moyer=Pedro and Perez is relatively equal to Kendrick.

OK

Hamels- 15-20 (wins)

Myers- 15-20

Moyer 10-15

Kendrick 10-15

Eaton 7-12

For the Mets

Santana 15-20 (wins)

Pedro- 10-15

Maine- 13-17

Perez- 12-17

Pelfrey/El Duckie- 7-12

I am in no way a Mets fan, but Santana in the National League, should be able to get about 20-25 wins, and an ERA in the low 2's.

Hamels- 15-20 (wins)

Myers- 15-20

Moyer 10-15

Kendrick 10-15

Eaton 7-12

For the Mets

Santana 15-20 (wins)

Pedro- 10-15

Maine- 13-17

Perez- 12-17

Pelfrey/El Duckie- 7-12

Isn't Myers the Phils closer now?

Isn't Myers the Phils closer now?

No, they traded for Brad Lidge, who is in the last year of a contract, slip Gordon to the 8th and Myers is Opening Day pitcher.

Although, Lidge tweaked his surgically repaired knee early in camp, but has resumed throwing.

Thus ends, how Phils Bullpen turns.

No, they traded for Brad Lidge, who is in the last year of a contract, slip Gordon to the 8th and Myers is Opening Day pitcher.

Although, Lidge tweaked his surgically repaired knee early in camp, but has resumed throwing.

Getting Lidge was a very good move by the Phillies. He could help them try to get the National League East title for two straight years, I doubt it though. Having Santana really puts your team over the top in the National League.

Hmmmm, so through this simple analysis, we are to conclude that Hamels=Santana, Moyer=Pedro and Perez is relatively equal to Kendrick.

OK

when it comes to wins, yes... but as we know, a lot more players have a role in the winning pitcher of a game.

last year... Hamels 15 wins. Santana 15 wins. Both will at least get that many this year... will there be a huge gap between their win totals? No.

Moyer 14 wins. Maine 15 wins. both should be in that range again this year.

Myers- closer LY... career has win totals of 14, 11, 13, 12. I may have overvalued him a bit, but i do feel he is going to have a breakout year now he has Hamels to be an ace also. I expect 15 wins.

Pedro- we have no idea what we are going to get out of him. He probably will only start 20-25 games so the mets dont wear him out and try to protect him. So he should be able to get 10-15 wins. If by some miracle he pitches 30+ games he has a shot at 15 wins, but the likelihood that Pedro will step in and be the Pedro of old is slim. He will be a good pitcher, but a #3 or #4 not a 1 or 2.

Our #4 and #5 are better than the Phils... IF Perez doesnt have the meltdowns he's had in the past. He's a headcase. Perez and Pelfrey/El Duque are better than Kendrick and Eaton (especially Eaton). This is where we need to separate ourselves from the Phils. If our 4 and 5 cant be better than their 4 and 5 we will not win.

you disagree... fine...

I am in no way a Mets fan, but Santana in the National League, should be able to get about 20-25 wins, and an ERA in the low 2's.

thats what every mets fan thinks... but it aint gonna happen.

Getting 20 wins is a very difficult thing to do. You need to pitch well, get umpires calls, get good defense, get good run support, stay healthy..

Santana is a hell of a pitcher. No one doubts that. But I will be very suprised if he wins 20 games or has an ERA below 3.00... its very difficult. Its a lot more likely he will get 15-20 wins and an ERA in the low 3's.

Lidge is a part of the blow up or have a great year....

The NL east is going to be interesting this year... who will thrive and who will crash and burn...

Getting 20 wins is a very difficult thing to do. You need to pitch well, get umpires calls, get good defense, get good run support, stay healthy..

Santana is a hell of a pitcher. No one doubts that. But I will be very suprised if he wins 20 games or has an ERA below 3.00... its very difficult. Its a lot more likely he will get 15-20 wins and an ERA in the low 3's.

Well, he is probably one of the best pitchers in the game, so he should get his fair share of bad calls in his behalf. The only thing I think that will stop him from getting 20 wins this season is the Mets crappy bullpen.

Mets have to replace Delgado. What do they expect out of Moises Alou?

1st base and outfield are two question marks. Willie also has to figure out a way to platoon Reyes at short. The guy was completely burnt out by the end of last season.

Pitching is awesome. They should win 90+. I'll be dissapointed if they don't win their division.

Santana's ERA the past 5 years have been about 2.85 and he has led the majors in ERA and Wins. Why would his ERA all of a sudden take a spike upwards if he is moving to a league with what we consider weaker league offensively? Would statistics not support that Santana would be more dominant in the NL. I am in no way saying he will win 25 games. But anything less than 18 wins would be disappointing.

• 3 months later...

Mets at the halfway mark:

Santana: 17 starts, 7-7. 3.01 era. Has about 17 starts left. Needs to win 10-12 of them.

Maine: 17 starts, 8-6, 3.86 era. Biggest worry is IP. Only 98 in 17 games, less than 6ip per game. Need at least another 8 wins over last 17 games.

Ollie Perez: 17 starts 6-5, 4.98 era. IP is horrible, with 90ip in 17 games. ERA is horrible. Really needs to step it up in 2nd half if mets want to compete.

Pelfrey: 15 starts, 5-6, 4.47 era. really needs to be more consistent. Need another 7-8 wins out of him.

Pedro: 6 starts, 2-2. 7.12 era. Injury slowed him down. now he sucks. Needs to find it quick.

Figueroa/Vargas/Armas- 11 starts, 6 wins. filled the role of a 5th starter as well as could be expected, except they were replacing the 4th starter. Oh well.

Mets are lucky they are still close in the race. None of their starters have pitched near where they are capable of. If the can piece it together they might have a shot at the division.

Phillies:

Brett Myers: 17 starts, 3-9, 5.84 era. Sent to AAA earlier in the week due to complete suckitude. If he was even a shadow of his previous self they would be running away with the division. Couldnt happen to a nicer guy.

Hamels: 17 starts, 8-5, 3.38 era. Really good numbers, but phillies need more out of him if myers continues to suck.

Kendrick: 17 starts, 8-3, 4.58 era. Low ip is a concern. High era is a concern. Win total should come down to earth in 2nd half.

Moyer- 17 starts, 7-6, 4.13 era. Could a guy be more average than him? Hopefully he breaks down. he wont, he'll continue to be average.

Eaton- 16 starts, 2-6, 4.86 era. lousy numbers even for a 5th starter.

• 2 months later...
There were so many Yanks and Sox threads I felt we needed a Met's thread to even it out a bit.

I was thinking today about Milledge and I got this feeling in my stomach that was not very good. I think he is going to BLOW UP this year and I have a really bad feeling the Mets made a mistake.

Beyond that, I have nothing else to add.

Signed:

Paranoid Mets fan

Milledge sucked this year.

I was off by 1 win.... and the Phillies didnt run away with it as I expected...

Hamels- 15-20 (wins)

Myers- 15-20

Moyer 10-15

Kendrick 10-15

Eaton 7-12

For the Mets

Santana 15-20 (wins)

Pedro- 10-15

Maine- 13-17

Perez- 12-17

Pelfrey/El Duckie- 7-12

Hamels- 14

Myers- 10

Moyer- 16

Kendrick- 11

Eaton- 4

(did pick up Joe Blanton during the season- 4 wins)

Santana- 16

Pedro- 5

Maine- 10

Perez- 10

Pelfrey- 13

Phillies- 55 wins from key SP

Mets- 54 wins from key SP

Archived