Mets 2007 > Mets 2008

Jetsfan80

Sad to say, but the team that ended the year with arguably the worst choke job since the 1964 Phillies was probably better than the "new Mets" of 2008, the way things are shaping up. The Santana deal simply covered up the many other flaws that this team had (namely, the right side of the infield being too old and mediocre middle relieving), and exposed their already depleted farm system.

Former Mets Carlos Gomez, Lastings Milledge and Brian Bannister are, naturally, having productive starts for other teams, and when Scott Kazmir returns from the DL, he will instantly make the Rays even more of a contender than they already look. Minaya stupidly put Ruben Gotay on waivers (who was immediately snatched up by ATL), thus giving away another young up-and-comer who would likely have been Luis Castillo's heir at 2B.

It's a long season, and I hope they prove me wrong. But the last year at Shea looks bleak, and the first season in Citi Field even bleaker.

I agree with you that there are flaws...but let's give it a few weeks before we start saying they are going to be terrible.

Not once did I say the 2008 Mets are terrible. Merely, I said that they are weaker than last season, even with Santana.

No, that's Mets fans punishment for Omar Minaya's questionable decision-making.

Any bashing the Yankees got last year, they deserved, as always.

lol. never! :)

as for Omar's moves, I'll admit he's made a few but he's got the Mets in a nice position for the future.

they barely gave up anything to get Johan too.

It's a week into the season.

You fellars are crazy.

It may be early, but even a sample size this small can have predictive value. Just look at the Tigers. Only 3 teams in MLB history have started a season 0-5 and made the postseason. They are now 0-6. History isn't on their side.

It may be early, but even a sample size this small can have predictive value. Just look at the Tigers. Only 3 teams in MLB history have started a season 0-5 and made the postseason. They are now 0-6. History isn't on their side.

The Cubs started 0-2 and could do absolutely nothing offensively.

Now, they are 4-3 and Derrek Lee looks like the '05 version.

If the Mets still suck after a month, then it's time to push the panic button.

Have some faith- are the Mets a great team- no way but give them a chance instead of analysis after 6 games.

It's difficult to have faith with the way last season ended. Even if they end up taking a large lead in the NL East in the midseason, they're just as vulnerable as coughing it up as they did last year, based on the pieces they have in place, the pieces they lack, and who they will be competing with.

I'll agree that I am a little worried with the way the season has started but there are a few factors which I think should help the team out. Namely

1. A lot of players spent a majority of Spring Training sitting out, such as Beltran Castillo and Schneider. So I think it will take a few weeks for them to get into a normal groove as a rsult.

2. A lot of players are still on the DL. Sanchez and Wise should come back to help the bullpen. Pedro and El Duque will help starting pitching when they come back. And Alou will help the lineup.

This team does have to get younger after this year. Pedro, El Duque, Alou, and Delgado all have to be out, since they are just declining with each year anyway. Hopefully Pelfrey works out so the team only has to worry about one starter next year, and hope some AAA prospects light up at 1B or we'll hit the market there as well.

This team does have to get younger after this year. Pedro, El Duque, Alou, and Delgado all have to be out, since they are just declining with each year anyway. Hopefully Pelfrey works out so the team only has to worry about one starter next year, and hope some AAA prospects light up at 1B or we'll hit the market there as well.

The Mets have no farm system. That's the problem. There will be no help coming, except maybe outfielder Fernando Martinez and a few "surprises".

The Mets have no farm system. That's the problem. There will be no help coming, except maybe outfielder Fernando Martinez and a few "surprises".

I was thinking more along the lines of free agents, I'm sure there have to be a few woung ones out there to fill areas of need, temporary upgrades at the least.

80 you sound like Ham with this thread.;)

Rocky start, we'll be fine.

Church is a upgrade in RF.

Santana a upgrade over Glavine.

Schneider a upgrade over LoDuca.

Maine and Perez will both be as good if not better than last season as will Delgado.

I also don't see Reyes having a month like he did last Sept.

We do need Alou and Pedro to give us 2/3 of a season at the least. The Alou injury however did allow us to see that Pagan is a valuable piece of the 25 man roster.

2-4 is no time to panic.

Maine and Perez will both be as good if not better than last season as will Delgado.

There is no chance Delgado puts up better numbers than previous years. He is on a rapid decline. His bat speed has been slowing ever since the end of the 2006 season.

There is no chance Delgado puts up better numbers than previous years. He is on a rapid decline. His bat speed has been slowing ever since the end of the 2006 season.

True but he'll be better than last year. I'd rather our issues(which aren't that bad IMO) than what the Yanks are dealing with right now to be honest.

• 1 month later...
The Cubs started 0-2 and could do absolutely nothing offensively.

Now, they are 4-3 and Derrek Lee looks like the '05 version.

If the Mets still suck after a month, then it's time to push the panic button.

BUMP.

Well, it's been over a month, and the panic button has been pushed. I still stand by the thread title.

BUMP.

Well, it's been over a month, and the panic button has been pushed. I still stand by the thread title.

mets are 2.5 games out of first and 2 back in the loss column. Not time to push the panic button yet.

I am not happy with their performance, and still expect them to miss the playoffs, but I expected them to be farther back at this point.

At least the Mets have a cake series this weekend.

The Nationals was supposed to be a "cake" series and they lost 3 of 4. The Mets have 17 games left with Florida, 16 games left with Philadelphia, and 13 with Atlanta. The locker room is split and Willie isn't the guy to handle it.

This is the worst over-.500 team in the bigs right now.

The Nationals was supposed to be a "cake" series and they lost 3 of 4. The Mets have 17 games left with Florida, 16 games left with Philadelphia, and 13 with Atlanta. The locker room is split and Willie isn't the guy to handle it.

This is the worst over-.500 team in the bigs right now.

Didn't you hear? They were "looking ahead" to the Yanks series. :biggrin: IMHO What they need is a take charge , kick ass manager like Lou. Willie's so darn laid back. The team is under performimg.

Archived