What happens if Gholston isn't there at 6?

PeterNorth09

The closer the draft gets, the more I feel like Gholston isn't going to be there when draft at 6. Pass rushers are such a hot commodity now. Gholston may still be there but look at the top 5 picks:

1. Dolphins - I think they'll take either Chris or Jake Long with an outside chance of Matt Ryan. However, Gholston may be a better fit for the 3-4 and he has better stats in college than Chris Long (though he doesn't have Long's pedigree).

2. Rams - They'll probably go either Jake or Chris Long, whoever is available after Miami picks. Still, it's not impossible that they take the BPA on defense which would be Gholston.

3. Falcons - everyone is saying they're gonna take Ryan. Probably the case but the smarter route may be to take the BPA here and then get Brohm, Flacco or Woodson in round 2. Or they can just hire Jack Bauer to break Mike Vick out of prison.

4. Raiders - Al Davis is insane so who knows what will happen here. Another wasted pick a la Robert Gallery or Michael Huff? They'll probably take McFadden, Jamarcus and Run DMC is a nice QB/RB combo. However, Gholston also makes sense for them.

5. Chiefs - Herminator taking an O-line player on day 1 of the draft? Yeah right. Herm loves to use first round picks on D, especially the D-line. I guess they'll take Dorsey or Ellis or Herm could go after another pass rusher.

I feel that if the Jets draft Gholston and he gives us an effective pass rush the Jets will be a Super Bowl contender next season, regardless of who the QB is. Seriously.

That being said, if Gholston isn't there what route would you want to go? Reach for a similar player like Harvey, draft another CB (sigh), draft DMC? I'd like the Jets to draft DMC and trade down with the Boys.

The most realistic chance for a trade would be to swap down only a few slots to, say, 9/10 which would net the Jets a third round pick. If one of Dorsey or Ellis is there then one of DEN, CIN, NO, CAR might bite. Ironically, CAR has the Jets third round pick.

If the Jets take Harvey I riot.

LOL

You probably won't be alone. IMO Harvey is one of the most under rated players in this draft. I'm not a Gators fan, Canes fan, but I watch a lot of Gators and FSU football. This guy has impressed me all season.

I was disappointed in his 40 time, but the kid has some great on field speed. Great against the run, seems to have very fluid hips for coverage, great instincts, and a very strong motor.

You may be booing, with most of the Jets fans on draft day, but I suspect you will be cheering in November if they take him.

JMO

I would not take him with the #6 pick. I'd rather take someone like DMC, or hope that Matt Ryan falls to us. If Matt Ryan is gone before our pick, and DMC is still up there, we need to make that Cowboy's trade. Just my opinion.

You act as if the trade is there for our taking! It's a rumor! and should be considered a rumor until it actually happens!

Derrick Harvey

I wouldn't be stunned if the Jets take Harvey even if Gholston is still on the board. Myself, I will be happy with either of them.

Dude! These 2 shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence!

I'm against taking DMC, we all know that! And how much I want Gholsten. I would rather have DMC instead of Harvey!

LOL

You probably won't be alone. IMO Harvey is one of the most under rated players in this draft. I'm not a Gators fan, Canes fan, but I watch a lot of Gators and FSU football. This guy has impressed me all season.

I was disappointed in his 40 time, but the kid has some great on field speed. Great against the run, seems to have very fluid hips for coverage, great instincts, and a very strong motor.

You may be booing, with most of the Jets fans on draft day, but I suspect you will be cheering in November if they take him.

JMO

I'm sure he's a fine player as you say..but at 6 would you consider him a reach?

The closer the draft gets, the more I feel like Gholston isn't going to be there when draft at 6. Pass rushers are such a hot commodity now. Gholston may still be there but look at the top 5 picks:

1. Dolphins - I think they'll take either Chris or Jake Long with an outside chance of Matt Ryan. However, Gholston may be a better fit for the 3-4 and he has better stats in college than Chris Long (though he doesn't have Long's pedigree).

2. Rams - They'll probably go either Jake or Chris Long, whoever is available after Miami picks. Still, it's not impossible that they take the BPA on defense which would be Gholston.

3. Falcons - everyone is saying they're gonna take Ryan. Probably the case but the smarter route may be to take the BPA here and then get Brohm, Flacco or Woodson in round 2. Or they can just hire Jack Bauer to break Mike Vick out of prison.

4. Raiders - Al Davis is insane so who knows what will happen here. Another wasted pick a la Robert Gallery or Michael Huff? They'll probably take McFadden, Jamarcus and Run DMC is a nice QB/RB combo. However, Gholston also makes sense for them.

5. Chiefs - Herminator taking an O-line player on day 1 of the draft? Yeah right. Herm loves to use first round picks on D, especially the D-line. I guess they'll take Dorsey or Ellis or Herm could go after another pass rusher.

I feel that if the Jets draft Gholston and he gives us an effective pass rush the Jets will be a Super Bowl contender next season, regardless of who the QB is. Seriously.

That being said, if Gholston isn't there what route would you want to go? Reach for a similar player like Harvey, draft another CB (sigh), draft DMC? I'd like the Jets to draft DMC and trade down with the Boys.

I like the reach for harvey, mostly because i don't think he's a reach

I'm sure he's a fine player as you say..but at 6 would you consider him a reach?

After the LSU game, everyone was tolking about Gholston being a reach. Then the combine came and BAM, he's a top 5 player, and he may be. I won't be very upset if the Jets selected him.

Having seen Harvey almost every week, I just feel the guy is a better all around LB.

Living in South Florida I lisen to a lot of Florida sports talk radio. Interestingly enough I was lisening to a show today about the people Bill Parcells is talking contract with right now.

The two Longs, Gholston, and Harvey. I would be stunned if the Fish took him with the first pick, but the fact that the Dolphins are talking to him indicates he isn't to much of a reach.

After the LSU game, everyone was tolking about Gholston being a reach. Then the combine came and BAM, he's a top 5 player, and he may be. I won't be very upset if the Jets selected him.

Having seen Harvey almost every week, I just feel the guy is a better all around LB.

Living in South Florida I lisen to a lot of Florida sports talk radio. Interestingly enough I was lisening to a show today about the people Bill Parcells is talking contract with right now.

The two Longs, Gholston, and Harvey. I would be stunned if the Fish took him with the first pick, but the fact that the Dolphins are talking to him indicates he isn't to much of a reach.

I think it's gonna be Chris or Jake Long. Jake Long is probably the safest pick the Dolphins can make and they def can use the O-line help.

A guy I ilke who people aren't talking about is Calais Campbell. He won't play OLB in the 3-4 but he could certainly play DE in the 3-4. If the Jets trade down with the Cowboys he's definitely a possibility 22 or 28.

I think it's gonna be Chris or Jake Long. Jake Long is probably the safest pick the Dolphins can make and they def can use the O-line help.

A guy I ilke who people aren't talking about is Calais Campbell. He won't play OLB in the 3-4 but he could certainly play DE in the 3-4. If the Jets trade down with the Cowboys he's definitely a possibility 22 or 28.

As a Canes fan, Campbell is a guy I loved coming into the season. i really thought he was going to be a top 10 pick.

What a disappointing year he had, and the combine wasn't much better. He is going to fall a good bit. If he is still there at 36, and he might be, I would be real tempted.

Just don't know what to make of the guy at this point.

Precluding a trade down, if Gholston is not there at 6, but Mcfadden is, you have to take Mcfadden over anyone else, even Ryan. No way would I be happy if the Jets waste #6 on a QB. If both Gholston and Mcfadden are not there, the Jets would have to first consider if Ellis could play DE in a 3-4 (the word on Dorsey is he's not a good fit for the 3-4 and would lose his value if played that way.) If not, then CB would be the next option (do not, repeat, DO NOT take QB at #6). At the same time, I wouldn't be against selecting Harvey, as some mentioned before, in the 1st round either.

Best draft would be to pick defense the 1st 2 rounds. Mcfadden is the only exception I would make as I mentioned.

Precluding a trade down, if Gholston is not there at 6, but Mcfadden is, you have to take Mcfadden over anyone else, even Ryan. No way would I be happy if the Jets waste #6 on a QB. If both Gholston and Mcfadden are not there, the Jets would have to first consider if Ellis could play DE in a 3-4 (the word on Dorsey is he's not a good fit for the 3-4 and would lose his value if played that way.) If not, then CB would be the next option (do not, repeat, DO NOT take QB at #6). At the same time, I wouldn't be against selecting Harvey, as some mentioned before, in the 1st round either.

Best draft would be to pick defense the 1st 2 rounds. Mcfadden is the only exception I would make as I mentioned.

In the wake of the D-Rob fiasco I dont see the Jets taking Dorsey, good as he is, under any circumstances. Anyway, he'd be good trade bait if he was still on the board at #6.

Archived