McFadden and Crazy Al

flgreen

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SPR5108V8O.DTL

The Raiders really need a defensive end who can rush the passer from the left side, someone like Virginia's Chris Long or Ohio State's Vernon Gholston.

They also could use a disruptive defensive tackle who can bottle up the holes in the run defense, like LSU's Glenn Dorsey or maybe USC's Sedrick Ellis.

Come to think of it, it wouldn't hurt them to draft a franchise left tackle who can pass protect, like Michigan's Jake Long.

With all these glaring needs, which college player has most caught the fancy of Raiders owner Al Davis?

Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, of course, the most dashing, explosive, athletic prospect in the land.

"I have heard Al Davis wants Darren McFadden and everybody's trying to swing him," draft icon Mel Kiper Jr. said.

That won't be easy. Where Davis has a will, all others in the building do well to get out the way while the option is still voluntary.

Two years ago, Davis blamed former coach Art Shell for drafting safety Michael Huff instead of quarterback Matt Leinart. Last season, he blamed unnamed members of the coaching staff for trading Randy Moss for draft-day change.

This time, there will be no wondering who is responsible for the Raiders' first pick of the draft, which will be the fourth overall Saturday. Davis has made it clear he is in full control of football operations. Second-year coach Lane Kiffin has taken to calling Davis the team's "general manager," simply so there's no wondering.

Whomever the Raiders end up drafting, all future credit (or blame) goes to the man atop the pyramid chart.

"The way I understand Al Davis," NFL.com draft analyst Mike Mayock said, "is since the 1960s, it's pretty much been his decision 100 percent."

That's why the majority of mock drafts have the Raiders selecting McFadden - Davis' idea of a dream player - despite their obvious needs in run defense and pass rushing.

They don't seem to need another running back, but Davis loves McFadden's hyper-speed button.

Oakland already has Justin Fargas, Dominic Rhodes, LaMont Jordan and Michael Bush in the backfield, but Davis adores McFadden's getaway speed.

The Raiders had the NFL's sixth-best running game last season, but can Davis truly resist the sight of McFadden on the board?

"It's a great question," Mayock said. "I asked myself the same question 30 times. You're right about Al Davis. He is infatuated with speed."

Kiffin repeatedly told reporters "running back is not really a need for us" when asked about McFadden at the NFL owner meetings last month. Kiffin repeatedly said the team really could use some help on the defensive line, so at least everyone knows where he stands on the issue.

"Who knows what will happen?" said one league source with knowledge of the team's inner workings. "There's only one person who knows. We all know who makes that decision. Everyone else will see when we get there."

As Raiders fans know by now, Davis has a thing for "the best available athlete." He craves playmakers who change games with undiluted skill and brilliant speed. When McFadden ran the 40 in 4.33 seconds at the NFL combine, he apparently rocketed up the Davis chart.

McFadden does come with several carry-ons. In three years of college, he was involved in two nightclub altercations, fathered one child and is awaiting results from a second paternity test involving another woman. That has some team officials "nervous," according to one longtime team observer.

Davis doesn't let nonfootball issues come between him and exceptional players. He didn't hesitate trading for Moss in 2005 or DeAngelo Hall this offseason.

"I heard he fell in love with McFadden when he ran a 4.3 at the combine," Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc. said. "At the end of the day, he makes the pick, so what's it matter? We've all heard the war stories. They spend hours watching tapes, this and that, set up the board, he walks in and takes a player (who's) already crossed off."

Consider that one of the perks of owning the keys to the team. McFadden, for one, was flattered by the attention Davis gave him in a recent visit to Alameda.

"I'm just a guy from little ol' Arkansas meeting a legend like him," McFadden blogged. "That was great."

It won't take long Saturday to see how deep the mutual feelings run.

Anyone's guess

A look at whom mock drafts have the Raiders picking with the No. 4 overall pick:

Pundit Pick

Mel Kiper, ESPN RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

Todd McShay, Scouts Inc McFadden

Mike Mayock, NFL.com DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio St.

Vic Carucci, NFL.com McFadden

Pat Kirwan, NFL.com Gholston

The Sports Xchange DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

Profootballtalk.com McFadden

NFLdraftcountdown.com McFadden

Draftinsiders.com McFadden

Sporting News OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

NFL Draft Scout McFadden

Don Banks, SI.com McFadden

Mike Lombardi, NFL Network Gholston

Kiffin repeatedly told reporters "running back is not really a need for us" when asked about McFadden at the NFL owner meetings last month. Kiffin repeatedly said the team really could use some help on the defensive line, so at least everyone knows where he stands on the issue.

This seals it. Davis is taking McFadden because his HC, who refused to resign, doesn't want another RB.

Wishfull thinking sperm...

I dont see it though.. they were just raving last week about michael bush being the secret weapon... and how hes completely healthy... and hes fast and big.... I just dont see it..

I think its a SMOKE SCREEN!! Ya do know those go both ways right lol

Wishfull thinking sperm...

I dont see it though.. they were just raving last week about michael bush being the secret weapon... and how hes completely healthy... and hes fast and big.... I just dont see it..

I think its a SMOKE SCREEN!! Ya do know those go both ways right lol

I don't wish anything for the Jets other than for them to win a superbowl.

Sorry buddy but McFadden will be a raider, get used to the idea. I for one, am not complaining, i hope we see Chris Johnson in Green in the late 2nd after we trade D Rob for Sheppard and a swap of 2nd round picks.

that trade is absurd and will never happen. where do u get ur info?

Sadly, for the Raiders , this is the most likely reason behind the pick of DMC.

Lol...some people huh? they make crazy trade ideasin there head... and then put it ona forum to test it out... so BZZZZZZZ you failed...lol

I'll agree it's unlikely. But we've recently had talks with them for DRob in the past week or two. Plus Philly has been shopping Lito around after signing Samuel. He's a UFA after the 2008 season and they aren't interested in re-signing him to a mega-deal.

They need a DT next to Bunkley. Personally I think it would be stupid of them, as they're much better off with a Sheppard/Samuel tandem and draft one of the many DT prospects who should still be around for them even in round 2 or 3 (Laws, Bryant, Harrison, Rubin, etc). Particularly if they got bumped up from #49 to #35, and they can still take a much-needed WR prospect at #19 (good chance that even the #1 WR on their board could still be there).

I wouldn't even be sold on the move for the Jets. Depends on what Sheppard would demand on a new deal. Talented as he is, if he wants top-5 CB money ($9-10M/yr) when he can't stay healthy, then what good is he? Philly came to that conclusion when they signed Samuel instead of locking up Sheppard (who is more talented & arguably a better CB when he's healthy).

Archived