I feel good about the Jets

Maxman

for the first time in a long time, I really do feel good about the Jets. Two high upside players taken so far show me that this regime still isn't afraid to go for it. The critics say the bust factor is high with both picks. Newsflash: the bust factor is high with every pick.

This franchise has gone the safe route for a long time and the results have not been there.

I believe that Mangini learned from last year. The mistakes will be corrected. The couldn't run, they bring in an ex-head coach and devote him to the running game. They couldn't stop the run, they get Kris Jenkins to anchor this defense. The talent was lacking -- the spent money to improve the OLine and the linebacking corps.

They have a few extra picks for next year so they can tweak the roster as needed. The guys they took this year need to come through. But in Mangini I trust and I do believe that come through they will.

I think we have the best linebacking corps in the east right now with Harris, Pace, Barton, and Gholston-we still need a cornerback

A CB? How about in the 4th round? You post it, they follow through.

I am curious to see how this all plays out with the LBers. Who plays inside? What is Bryan Thomas' role?

If Pace and Gholston live up their contracts / high 1st round selections SoFla, then yes this team has the best Linebacker core, perhaps best front 7 in the AFC East.

The Linebacking core will look like one of two ways.

Gholston - Barton - Harris - Pace

Gholston - Pace - Harris - Thomas

Bryan Thomas could very well lose his starting role. Either way, I expect to see all three of the pass rushers on the field for at least 60-70% of the plays.

I'm just not as confident as you Max, although I wish I was. They got Gholston, which I liked since he was my 2nd option, which is good but I still don't fully buy the jump into the 1st round for Keller? Do I like it? Somewhat, but he's a bit of an unknown. The type of player that is going to either sink or swim in the NFL. Was he worth the trade up? Time will tell.

I'm also not happy with the 4th round pick. Jonathan Goff, an ILB, was there for the taking and this team needs to add depth at ILB. So far this has been a so-so draft, IMO. Lets see what they address at 162 and 171.

If Pace and Gholston live up their contracts / high 1st round selections SoFla, then yes this team has the best Linebacker core, perhaps best front 7 in the AFC East.

The Linebacking core will look like one of two ways.

Gholston - Barton - Harris - Pace

Gholston - Pace - Harris - Thomas

Bryan Thomas could very well lose his starting role. Either way, I expect to see all three of the pass rushers on the field for at least 60-70% of the plays.

IMO I think Pace and Gholston should both be on the outside, I don't know what we're going to do with Thomas.

A CB? How about in the 4th round? You post it, they follow through.

I am curious to see how this all plays out with the LBers. Who plays inside? What is Bryan Thomas' role?

let's see if my punter prediction comes through Max-I don't think there has been even one picked yet-there HAS to be some college kid out there as good as or better than Ben Graham

They didn't go the safe route last year, when they traded virtually the entire draft for two players.

I really hope the balls they have shown in this draft works out better than it did last year. Yes, Revis and Harris were good, but the lack of talent on this team was very evident.

let's see if my punter prediction comes through Max-I don't think there has been even one picked yet-there HAS to be some college kid out there as good as or better than Ben Graham

Durant Brooks from Georgia Tech, the 2007 Ray Guy award winner and 2006 finalist, could very well be the pick at either 162 or 171. Kid has a strong leg and Graham is a little bit up there in age and hasn't worked out the way the organization had hoped. I'd take Brooks in a heartbeat along with either an ILB, OLineman or WR with those two picks.

Why would we take a punter?

We should take some players who can get first downs so we'll be forced to punt less often.

Why would we take a punter?

We should take some players who can get first downs so we'll be forced to punt less often.

I'm with you there Troll.

Graham may not be the best in the league, but hes definetely serviceable. What we need more then a punter is a couple of guys that can help us get some stops or keep the chains moving.

Sorry guys, but when your final picks are in the 160's or later, taking a punter that late is not a bad idea, especially when he could be one of the better punters in the game. I'd rather him than a project Offensive Lineman from Nicholls State.

Jacob Bender! Yeah!

Sorry guys, but when your final picks are in the 160's or later, taking a punter that late is not a bad idea, especially when he could be one of the better punters in the game. I'd rather him than a project Offensive Lineman from Nicholls State.

Jacob Bender! Yeah!

But taking a kicker in the 2nd round is perfectly fine. :biggrin:

IMO I think Pace and Gholston should both be on the outside, I don't know what we're going to do with Thomas.

Pace and Gholston should be on the outside. As for B.Thomas, I would think that early on he starts in favor of Gholston. But Gholston will be in our every obvious (3rd and long) passing down to get after the QB. Midway thru the season, Gholston is starting.

Thomas's last year as a Jet coming up. He will have some value as a backup/spot starter.

But taking a kicker in the 2nd round is perfectly fine. :biggrin:

After your previous retard kickers blows a chance TWICE in the final two minutes to send you to the AFC Championship Game? Yes.

Especially with how well Nugent kicked in college in clutch situations.

Still hasn't missed a clutch kick as a Jet minus a 2005 game against New Orleans, his rookie year during a 4-12 campaign.

everybody on the NFLN and ESPN is lauding the great job Kansas City has done with this draft not taking into consideration WHO will be coaching these guys. We all know Herm never plays rookies unless he absolutely has to. Again, this is another case of quality over quantity. Look at New England last year, they had like 10 picks and by the end of the season only one 07 DP was left on the roster-their 1st rounder Merriweather. We had a much better draft than they had with Harris and Revis being starters-I think we may have 3 new starters right now in Gholston, the TE and this kid at CB-if we CAN get that punter 124 is talking about that could very well be 4 new starters drafted this weekend

Pace and Gholston should be on the outside. As for B.Thomas, I would think that early on he starts in favor of Gholston. But Gholston will be in our every obvious (3rd and long) passing down to get after the QB. Midway thru the season, Gholston is starting.

Thomas's last year as a Jet coming up. He will have some value as a backup/spot starter.

I'll ship his ass out.

Jacob Bender! Yeah!

Id rather take the chance on Bender then draft a punter when we already have Graham, who isnt great but is good enough to get the job done.

everybody on the NFLN and ESPN is lauding the great job Kansas City has done with this draft not taking into consideration WHO will be coaching these guys. We all know Herm never plays rookies unless he absolutely has to. Again, this is another case of quality over quantity. Look at New England last year, they had like 10 picks and by the end of the season only one 07 DP was left on the roster-their 1st rounder Merriweather. We had a much better draft than they had with Harris and Revis being starters-I think we may have 3 new starters right now in Gholston, the TE and this kid at CB-if we CAN get that punter 124 is talking about that could very well be 4 new starters drafted this weekend

Good post buddy, but I don't want any special team player that 124 likes. :rl:

Id rather take the chance on Bender then draft a punter when we already have Graham, who isnt great but is good enough to get the job done.

Ben Graham is so good that he was benched last year and replaced by a journeyman south-legged nobody. He shanks way too many-in 2005 he may have been the team MVP IMO but he got hurt and hasn't been the same since-we NEED a new punter who doesn't rip off a 55 yarder and then a 17 yarder the next kick-LIKE Graham has been doing

After your previous retard kickers blows a chance TWICE in the final two minutes to send you to the AFC Championship Game? Yes.

Especially with how well Nugent kicked in college in clutch situations.

Still hasn't missed a clutch kick as a Jet minus a 2005 game against New Orleans, his rookie year during a 4-12 campaign.

Mike Nugent nor any other kicker should be drafted that high. It's pathetic.

Jacob Bender! Yeah!

When your offensive skill position players are Chad Pennington, 30-year old Thomas Jones, and 30-year old Laveranues Coles, it's a terrible idea to take an f'ing punter instead of a QB, WR, or RB. Particularly when you can get one as a UDFA.

When your offensive skill position players are Chad Pennington, 30-year old Thomas Jones, and 30-year old Laveranues Coles, it's a terrible idea to take an f'ing punter instead of a QB, WR, or RB. Particularly when you can get one as a UDFA.

the reason we haven't taken any WR's is because it's perhaps the weakest draft class we've ever seen at that position. Everybody keeps talking about how we NEED a RB-Jones , Washington and newly acquired Jesse Chatham along with Tony Richardson blocking at FB are an excellent group of RBBC-thank GOD we didn't try and get McFadden and i hope I never have to read his name again here at JN in regards to my Jets

for the first time in a long time, I really do feel good about the Jets. Two high upside players taken so far show me that this regime still isn't afraid to go for it. The critics say the bust factor is high with both picks. Newsflash: the bust factor is high with every pick.

This franchise has gone the safe route for a long time and the results have not been there.

I believe that Mangini learned from last year. The mistakes will be corrected. The couldn't run, they bring in an ex-head coach and devote him to the running game. They couldn't stop the run, they get Kris Jenkins to anchor this defense. The talent was lacking -- the spent money to improve the OLine and the linebacking corps.

They have a few extra picks for next year so they can tweak the roster as needed. The guys they took this year need to come through. But in Mangini I trust and I do believe that come through they will.

I agree Max i feel rather good about the upcoming year for the first time in a few years, it was a little scary last year but I think this FO knows it's time to sink or swim lets hope they kick and paddle us to the promise land.

Pace is the one that will be playing inside in our LB core.He is a much better fit inside than outside.Our linebackers will look like this:

Thomas

Pace

Harris

Gholston

Pace is a much better player for inside,but can play outside also.Think Adalius Thomas type 3-4 linebacker.He has huge size for an inside backer too.We should vastly improve against the run this season.

the reason we haven't taken any WR's is because it's perhaps the weakest draft class we've ever seen at that position. Everybody keeps talking about how we NEED a RB-Jones , Washington and newly acquired Jesse Chatham along with Tony Richardson blocking at FB are an excellent group of RBBC-thank GOD we didn't try and get McFadden and i hope I never have to read his name again here at JN in regards to my Jets

Seriously, about time that 1st day happened. If I saw one more specualtion, McFadden post I would have shot myself.

Anyway, we shouldnt be hearing too much about him, especially because he got picked 2 picks ahead of us. So nobody can say we passed on him or anything like that.

Seriously, about time that 1st day happened. If I saw one more specualtion, McFadden post I would have shot myself.

Anyway, we shouldnt be hearing too much about him, especially because he got picked 2 picks ahead of us. So nobody can say we passed on him or anything like that.

moments after he was picked the NFLN showed highlights of his running style and saying how it won't translate into a good pro runner-which is what I have been saying for months-I'm telling you he's the 2nd coming of PSU's Tony Hunt who was the 2nd coming of Derrick Blaylock-glad we passed...

So do you guys think we're gonna go after Goff if he's available with our next pick?

Is Hampton still available?

I say its more likely we go after someone like Nicks or Urrutia or some other WR.

Drafting Goff would mean we have 6 capable starting LB's, while only 2 or 3 DB's and WR's.

If we had unloaded BThomas or Barton for a third or fourth rder, then maybe, but at this point I'd seriously doubt it.

Pace is the one that will be playing inside in our LB core.He is a much better fit inside than outside.Our linebackers will look like this:

Thomas

Pace

Harris

Gholston

Pace is a much better player for inside,but can play outside also.Think Adalius Thomas type 3-4 linebacker.He has huge size for an inside backer too.We should vastly improve against the run this season.

I was telling a friend that Pace might end up inside when the Jets signed him and he gave me a hard time about it. I agree though and think it could really happen. Thomas can do what he did last year, Gholston can rush the QB and Pace and Harris on the inside.

Which means that Pace got a LOT of money. Actually he got a lot of money either way. But that little 1 year bonus option might mean that Pace doesn't see the entire length of the contract.

Archived