MLBPA Investigating Possible Collusion

shawn306

Interesting story

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3384504

Free agents Bonds, Lofton key parts of MLBPA investigation

The MLB players' association has opened an investigation into the free-agent market. The MLBPA has been investigating for several weeks what has taken place in free agency, in relation to Barry Bonds, Kenny Lofton and other players who have gone unsigned. It is something they have done in the past

Barry Bonds isn't the only big-name player that hasn't gotten a major league contract this season. Here are some others:

Player Pos. Last

Team

Barry Bonds OF SF

Roger Clemens RHP NYY

Kenny Lofton OF TEX

Jose Mesa RHP PHI

Mike Piazza C OAK

Sammy Sosa OF TEX

David Wells LHP SD

MLBPA general counsel Michael Weiner, when asked if they were near a resolution, said, "I really don't know. We're still waiting for some information."

If the MLBPA determines that there is something untoward, it could file a grievance on the issue of collusion at the end of the investigation.

"The union notified us that it was investigating potential collusion regarding Barry Bonds and asked for information, and we told them that there was absolutely no collusion with respect to Barry Bonds or any other free agent," said Dan Halem, MLB senior vice president and general labor counsel. "We are aware of no facts which would support a collusion claim regarding Bonds or any other free agents."

Jeff Borris, the agent for Bonds, said, "No team has made me an offer for any amount at any time since Barry became a free agent."

Borris added that "Barry continues to work out," but when asked about his client's prospects for this season, he said, "I'm not optimistic that he will be in a major league uniform in 2008."

Recently, the Mariners and the Tigers have developed what would seem to be a classic situation for Bonds -- the need for a left-handed hitter and an opening at designated hitter -- and still no offers have come in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I was a GM this is what I see from these this list of players.

1) All these guys are old

2) Alot of these guys are or have been problems in the past (Bonds, Lofton, Wells)

3) Throw in 2 guys involved in the steorids scandal.

Would you want ANY of these guys on your team ? Not me.

Recently, the Mariners and the Tigers have developed what would seem to be a classic situation for Bonds -- the need for a left-handed hitter and an opening at designated hitter -- and still no offers have come in.

-

they have been trying to float this sh!t since spring training. Maybe, just maybe, they dont want to sign these guys and pay the millions it would require when they can just go with a young player for $400,000.

Its like they expect that a team will sign them, that its their right to play baseball.

Barry Bonds OF SF- What owner is going to put up with this sh!tstorm of bad publicity? Not worth the risk.

Roger Clemens RHP NYY - He isnt playing this year by his choice, not that any team wants the bad publicity associated with him either.

Kenny Lofton OF TEX- Little more confusing on why... BTW, they have Lofton's last team wrong, he was traded to CLE last July... But again he's 41 years of age. He's made between 3-6 million a year the last few years, what team wants to spend that type of money on a guy who isnt a regular?

Jose Mesa RHP PHI- 42 years old. LY- 56 ip, 7.11 era. That says it all.

Mike Piazza C OAK- 39yrs old. Cant catch. So he can DH, where he had 8 HR's in 83 games, hasnt played more than 130 games since 2002. What good is he without the 'roids and HGH?

Sammy Sosa OF TEX- Maybe because he was such a douchebag last year bitching when he got benched? Another clubhouse cancer.

David Wells LHP SD- He sucked last year, and he's a quitter. Another clubhouse cancer.

So out of this great list, only Lofton doesnt make sense... but with all the young outfield talent and the reluctance of small-mid market teams to spend money, Lofton probably wont see the field until July/August. And who knows what demands he is looking for.

Yes the owners are colluding. To get rid of a bunch of old guys, some of whom lied and cheated. They are doing this to improve the quality of play on the field and rid themselves of headaches.

This idea that owners are colluding to keep a bunch of past-their-prime, old men off their teams is a joke. Last time I checked, teams are free to sign whomever they want to. Every one of those players on the list has done NOTHING in the last few season to warrant interest from a major league ballclub. And that includes Bonds.

Barry Bonds ,Roger Clemens,Kenny Lofton ,Jose Mesa ,Mike Piazza, Sammy Sosa and David Wells are all colluding in the fact that they suck, are old, would cost too much money, used performance-enhancing banned substances or in the case of Wells are simply obnoxious a-holes. Good luck with that, MLBPA.

Sosa cracks me up most of all.After 1998, the guy was speaking English like the Queen of England herself and was on TV in more ads that Giuseppe Franco is now. Ask him if he used steroids though and he now pretends he's a simpleton who landed in America 10 minutes ago and doesn't know a word of English.

Archived