Winslow nowhere to be found in Cleveland - ESPN.com

Winslow nowhere to be found during Browns' voluntary workouts

Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns still don't know why star tight end Kellen Winslow is not attending the team's voluntary workouts.

Two weeks into their organized team activities, Browns coach Romeo Crennel again said on Wednesday that he hasn't heard from Winslow and doesn't know why he's not with the team.

The three weeks of OTAs are not mandatory. However, players usually report so they can take part in conditioning drills and team meetings or rehab injuries.

In a video posted on YouTube, Winslow's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said his client will be at minicamp in June and training camp in July. He said Winslow, who underwent offseason knee surgery, was rehabbing in his hometown of San Diego. A phone message left for Rosenhaus was not returned.

Winslow has made it clear that he wants the Browns to redo his contract.

Winslow, who missed most of his first two seasons in the league with injuries, has three more years left on a contract that the Browns restructured after he missed an entire year following a motorcycle accident.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

You can't fault the Browns for not wanting to redo his deal yet.

First off, he still has three years remaining on deal they restructured just two years ago and secondly, two out of four years is still not solid. Yes he's played in every game in the past two years, but lets see him do it once more. If he gets through the 2008 season then its time to talk contract extension and more money. 2007 was the first season the Browns saw the real player they drafted in 2004. In 2006, he wasn't 100% and you can see that via the stat sheet:

'06: 89 receptions, 875 yards, 3 TD -- 9.8 ypr

'07: 82 receptions, 1,106 yards, 5 TD -- 13.5 ypr

Hello my name is Kellen Winslow. I am a dumbass who lost $10M for riding a motorcycle, the type of activity prohibited in the contract I signed. Even though I agreed to a new restructuring that would allow me to recoup it through incentives, I am backing out of that agreement. I like to think of myself as the soldier who represents what football fans hate about NFL players. Watch me. Love me. Worship me.

Hello my name is Kellen Winslow. I am a dumbass who lost $10M for riding a motorcycle, the type of activity prohibited in the contract I signed. Even though I agreed to a new restructuring that would allow me to recoup it through incentives, I am backing out of that agreement. I like to think of myself as the soldier who represents what football fans hate about NFL players. Watch me. Love me. Worship me.

Still not a bad TE though.;-)

anyone heard how LaCharles Bently is coming along? He was signed by the brownies two years ago to play center then got hurt in both seasons. If he does come back look for that Offensive line to be a total power house this year. Anderson is going to need winslow, but with that o-line they could take the division with ease...assuming both players are back.

He's recovering from an injury and it's voluntary. Not exactly time to worry about anything. They're not going to re-do the contract, and he probably really doesn't think they will. Unlike Baker, he doesn't seem to be claiming the team promised him anything or bitching about it in the media, if he has I haven't heard about it.

Archived