Schilling to have Surgery; Out for Season, Possibly Career

CrazyCarl40

Schilling to undergo season-ending shoulder surgery

BOSTON -- Curt Schilling said Friday he will not pitch this season.

In an interview Friday morning on WEEI-AM, the Red Sox right-hander said that he will undergo surgery Monday on his injured shoulder.

When asked whether that will end his season, the 41-year-old Schilling said "Yes."

It is not clear if Schilling addressed whether the surgery would spell an end to his career, which has spanned 20 seasons with Baltimore, Houston, Philadelphia, Arizona and Boston.

It's a good thing the Red Sox have a deep farm system and their young pitchers have been producing so well. And Dice-K comes back this weekend.

Beckett

Dick-k

Lester

Masterson

Bucholtz

Wake

No three headed monster to worry about come the playoffs.....nice

Although better right now than the Yanks, if Hughes or Kennedy come back at a decent level, we'll be just fine

Beckett

Dick-k

Lester

Masterson

Bucholtz

Wake

No three headed monster to worry about come the playoffs.....nice

Although better right now than the Yanks, if Hughes or Kennedy come back at a decent level, we'll be just fine

The way Jon Lester is pitching this season, I wouldn't be so certain of that remark. Or of the Yankees making the playoffs. :)

We were not counting on Pavano this year

Schill was a big piece of the puzzle

Maybe, the Sawx go and get CC now

I doubt Schill was being counted on for much of anything. They had plans in action just in case he never came through.

As far as CC goes:

Jon Lester is 6-3 with a 3.18 ERA this season. His command is improving with every start and is burgeoning before our very eyes. The Sox balked at trading him for Johan Santana (who in my opinion is better than CC). That being said, I sincerely doubt the Sox make a move for Sabathia.

Oh and on your list of Sox starters you omitted Bartolo Colon, who apparently still has something left in the tank, but should not hit again to save his life.

I thought Bartolo had gas in the tank too

But he can only get his fastball to about 88-89

Buh-bye Bartolo

The Sawx really need to address their pen

Last year they were awesome, this year role reversal.....and the Yanks have the far superior pen

...wasn't there a rumor out there about Lester being trade bait?????

Anyay it's time for Schilling to face reality and retire already. The only thing that sux about this is that he won't be around to annoy Dan Shaughnessy....wait! Schill won't be able to help himself. His mouth will be around. Ah, good. That's the only thing I like about the Sox. Schill versus CHB.

We were not counting on Pavano this year

Schill was a big piece of the puzzle

Maybe, the Sawx go and get CC now

Unlike the Yankees, the young Red Sox pitcher are actually performing.

How can you say that Schill was a big piece of the puzzle when the Sox knew that, at best, he wouldn't be back until after the AS break.

Good luck passing the Rays.

Buh-bye Bartolo

Last year they were awesome, this year role reversal.....and the Yanks have the far superior pen

Bartolo had actually been hitting 93-94, and is now on the DL. Allegedly, he hurt his back swinging like a madman the other day. This coincides nicely with Dice-K coming off of the DL.

I agree with you, though. They need bullpen help.

Buh-bye Bartolo

I dunno. I dont trust any of our guys in the pen (aside from Mo) to throw strikes in a big spot.

Veras included, he's still shaky IMO.

I dunno. I dont trust any of our guys in the pen (aside from Mo) to throw strikes in a big spot.

Veras included, he's still shaky IMO.

Far superior? Now that Joba's starting, both the Sox and Yanks have problems.

Neither have a guy right now that you can trust in a big spot in the 7th.

Far superior? Now that Joba's starting, both the Sox and Yanks have problems.

Neither have a guy right now that you can trust in a big spot in the 7th.

I agree with you, its not far superior, thats what I was saying.

The Yankees best setup guy is probably in the minors right now.

I agree with you, its not far superior, thats what I was saying.

The Yankees best setup guy is probably in the minors right now.

I know, I meant to quote both posts.

Manny DelCarmen is showing signs of being what he was last year, Craig Hansen is good, when he's throwing strikes. Aardsma has a good arm, Oki has fallen back to earth, Timlin is toast.

I know, I meant to quote both posts.

Manny DelCarmen is showing signs of being what he was last year, Craig Hansen is good, when he's throwing strikes. Aardsma has a good arm, Oki has fallen back to earth, Timlin is toast.

The Orioles have owned Okijama. If you take out the games he has played against Baltimore he has been solid.

Delcarmen has really come on. In the Philly game a couple of days ago he struck out Howard with the bases loaded. Clutch.

Timlin? He sucks.

What a shame. Too bad they aren't cutting off his digits so we can spare ourselves from that pathetic blog of his.

Max lets you type your ridiculous comments on JN. What's the difference between you and Schilling making comments on the internet?

Archived