Orlando Magic to go for Maggette

MagicBizkit87

O-Sen: Magic may make move for Maggette

Los Angeles Clippers guard Corey Maggette told friends over the weekend that he was encouraging the Orlando Magic to make a competitive offer in free agency, allowing him to return to the team where he started his NBA career nine years ago.

"I think he'd come back in a heartbeat," said a Maggette friend who is close to both the player and the Magic organization. "It's something he'd love to see happen."

Maggette played here as a rookie (1999-00). His parents live in Central Florida. He has often spoken about the possibility of returning to the Magic.

To get Maggette back to Orlando we would have to do a sign & trade with them. Don't really want to see us trade Hedo Turkoglu, maybe the Clippers will take a 1st round pick for the next couple of years, Redick, Bogans, and Cook. Don't see why they would take that though, unless they've got a weird obsession with those players.

PG Nelson

SG Maggette

SF Hedo

PF Shard

C Dwight

Bye Bye Boston!

celtics had alot of trouble against magic in the year so i wouldnt say they are crappy.. if we got maggette that means he would probably start at sg or be a number 6.. but if he starts at sg then we would have three sf's starting lol. i would rather get a big man to play center then put dwight back to pf

Really, you're a Magic fan as well? That's awesome! It's you, InstantClassic, and myself on here. there was another member who was also a Magic fan, but I don't think he posts here anymore.

Anyway, onto Maggette. I was so upset when we decided not to keep him. I always thought of him more as a 2 though, because he's only 6'6, thats just not tall enough to be a 3 in my opinion.

Magic don't suck, but they won't be good next year. I believe Dwight Howard will get the MVP though, don't care what you guys think.

I think I'm starting to like you more, and believe you more that you really are a Celtics fan, you obviously know the Magic can hang with the Celtics, we did during the regular season this year, I obviously have more respect for you then I will ever have for Blackout. Blackout is basically a moron though.

baron davis opted out of his contract now thats someone magic should get but then again the money is crazy hes gonna want to much.. i think he will end up with knicks..

yea im a magic fan jsut im not liek that crazy into basketball put i kno alot of stuff bc i jsut simply love sports.. i always love penny so i stayed a magic fan.

baron davis opted out of his contract now thats someone magic should get but then again the money is crazy hes gonna want to much.. i think he will end up with knicks..

yea im a magic fan jsut im not liek that crazy into basketball put i kno alot of stuff bc i jsut simply love sports.. i always love penny so i stayed a magic fan.

Yeah, my big 3 favorite players back in the mid 90's were Shaq, Nick Anderson, and Penny. To this day, those 3 are still my most favorite ever.

in all seriousness

orlando is a nice young team (granted i'd rather be the Heat with D-wade Marion and Beasley next year) but we all know the Celtics got the east on lock next year

i think if Celtics will take division but u better hope in the playoffs u don't play magic bc they will beat the Celtics.. i watched a lot of games last year and magic played amazing against Celtics. but against pistons they didnt look that good.. hate to say but another team that is gonna be good is the hawks... celtics,magic,hawks,heat are gonna battle it out.

You'll be on the bandwagon next year, guaranteed.

Maggetee huh? I've got to look up how he's been playing the past 2 years or so, I know nothing about the Clips because of how bad they are.

If Orlando were to get Maggette, the team he would definitely join to be a fan of would be Orlando. Seriously, 4 potential 20 points per game guys. Our offense is already insane as is, but adding Maggette would make our offense as good as the Warriors offense was last season.

Seriously though, blackout is a moron, thats all that needs to be said, plus the fact that he knows nothing about the game and jumps from team to team.

If Orlando were to get Maggette, the team he would definitely join to be a fan of would be Orlando. Seriously, 4 potential 20 points per game guys. Our offense is already insane as is, but adding Maggette would make our offense as good as the Warriors offense was last season.

Seriously though, blackout is a moron, thats all that needs to be said, plus the fact that he knows nothing about the game and jumps from team to team.

Looks like it between the Magic and the Spurs...

He may want to suit up next to Tim Duncan and remove the Clipper syndrome from the past several years with a ring.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.070208.Monroe.EN.14afead4.html

Looks like it between the Magic and the Spurs...

He may want to suit up next to Tim Duncan and remove the Clipper syndrome from the past several years with a ring.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.070208.Monroe.EN.14afead4.html

Maggette has to make a choice, join the Spurs, and have the best team in basketball for one or two years, or join the Magic, and be a dyansty with Dwight for the next 5 to 10 years.

Come on Maggette, choose the right team, and that right team is Orlando. Come back home where you started in the NBA. You can start the SG position for us. You either want to win a championship and die eventually with the Spurs, or join Dwight Howard in Orlando and become a dyansty for about 5 years or so. You tell me.

It's beyond me why you would have the Spurs, or Celtics on your list of teams to go to. Yes join a team that has people almost Adonal Foyle's age. Miami just sucks, and hasn't been able to beat Orlando in like 3 years. Your family lives in North Florida, so that should put the Jazz out of contention. If your family lives in Orlando, the choice seems really easy to me.

From today's Boston Globe:

A day after talking with Celtics coach Doc Rivers, a longtime family friend, Clippers free agent forward Corey Maggette said he is seriously considering an offer to join the NBA champions.

Maggette said he is still in awe about being contacted by the Celtics and has been mulling over their contract offer as well as interest from several other teams.

An NBA source said the Celtics offered Magette the full midlevel exception, expected to be worth $5.8 million.

The Celtics have made offers to their own forward, James Posey, and Maggette, but it's doubtful they can accommodate both. While there is no news regarding Posey, Maggette said he could be coming to Boston in the near future to visit with the Celtics. Free agents can't sign until Wednesday.

"I don't want to hold the Celtics up or [general manager] Danny Ainge," said Maggette in a telephone interview. "I talked to Doc . . . I'm not going to hold them up. I know they are still looking at James Posey. But I'm still weighing my options."

Maggette averaged a team-best 22.1 points as well as 5.6 rebounds for the Clippers last season. The 6-foot-6-inch, 228-pounder played for Rivers in Orlando during the 1999-2000 season.

Maggette said Rivers, his fellow Chicago native, called Wednesday.

"We shot the breeze," said Maggette. "He asked about my family. My mom went to the same high school [as Rivers]. My family has known his family for a long time. I'm very comfortable with him."

Even with Maggette's scoring ability, he would be expected to come off the bench with Boston behind All-Star wing players Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. Maggette said he would have no problems with a reserve role.

"I don't mind," he said. "If you want to win, you have to make sacrifices. With their caliber of players, that's what you have to do.

"Going to a championship team would be exciting to me. Going to a team that can win and has tradition is exciting."

The Clippers aren't expected to re-sign Maggette after they landed free agent guard Baron Davis Tuesday with a five-year, $65 million contract. But if Golden State gets Clippers free agent forward Elton Brand, the Clippers could have a change of heart regarding Maggette. Clippers owner Donald Sterling is a big fan of Maggette. Other teams interested in Maggette include the Spurs, 76ers, Warriors, Hornets, Magic, Jazz, and Cavaliers.

As for the Clippers' situation, Maggette said, "I'll know soon. If not, that's the nature of the business and I'll move on. If not, I'll definitely want to call to thank [Clippers] coach Mike Dunleavy and [GM] Elgin Baylor and let them know I appreciated my eight years there."

Maggette was a teammate of Celtics free agent guard Sam Cassell with the Clippers from 2005-08. They recently shared some Celtics talk.

"He said to come out to get a ring," Maggette said.

On the Posey front, agent Mark Bartelstein and the Celtics have declined to go into detail about contract terms.

The Lakers, Washington, New Orleans, Cleveland, and Orlando are among the teams expected to be interested in Posey.

An NBA source said the Celtics offered Posey a three-year, $12 million contract, but a team official denied it.

"There is a lot of interest," Bartelstein said. "We'll work through it and get to a conclusion."

An NBA source said the Celtics surprisingly worked out Blazers free agent small forward Darius Miles yesterday and he had an impressive workout. Miles missed last season while recovering from knee surgery.

Bartelstein added there was no news regarding another Celtics client, guard Eddie House.

Meanwhile, the Celtics have been taking a strong look at backup centers.

They met with Hornets free agent Chris Andersen the past two days before he returned to his offseason home in Denver.

Andersen is still drawing interest from New Orleans, as well as Golden State and Houston. The Celtics are expected to contact his agent, Steve Heumann, early next week. Andersen plans to go to Las Vegas at month's end to work out with renowned trainer Joe Abunassar, who also handles several other NBA players, including Maggette and Kevin Garnett.

The Celtics worked out Pacers free agent center David Harrison and Timberwolves free agent swingman Kirk Snyder yesterday. The 7-foot, 280-pound Harrison averaged 4.2 points, 2.1 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks in 12.8 minutes per game last season. Snyder averaged 7.3 points, 3.5 rebounds, and 1.8 assists with Houston and Minnesota.

"It's a great opportunity when the world champs call you to work out," Harrison said in a telephone interview. "They see something in me. It's an honor to work out for them."

Today, Boston is scheduled to work out Golden State free agent center Patrick O'Bryant, who recently met with the Heat. The 7-foot, 260-pounder was the ninth pick in the 2006 NBA draft and averaged 1.5 points, 1.2 rebounds, and 0.4 blocks in 4.1 minutes per game last season.

The Celtics' rookie free agent camp, which includes guard Gabe Pruitt, forward Glen Davis, and free agents, concludes today at the team's Waltham training facility. Former Oklahoma State forward Aaron Pettway sprained his right ankle, and it's uncertain if he'll play today.

Boston isn't even in it. He's either going to San Antonio, because he wants to win a championship next year, or going to Orlando, because his family lives in North Florida.

Besides, I don't see why he would want to be coached by Doc Rivers again. The guys a moron. He should get coached by Popovich, or SVG and be thrilled he doesn't have to be coached by a moron.

He would be a backup on Boston, a starting Shooting Guard for the Magic. I don't see why this is such a hard decision for him. Your family lives in Orlando, what exactly makes it a hard decision? Unless he hates someone in his family, I don't see why else he wouldn't choose Orlando.

THANK YOU KNICKS!!!!!!!!

Magic shift focus as Chris Duhon heads to Knicks

Brian Schmitz |Sentinel Staff Writer July 5, 2008 With Chris Duhon now heading to the New York Knicks, the Orlando Magic will turn their focus to two free agents: shooting guard Corey Maggette and point guard Keyon Dooling.

Duhon has chosen the Knicks over the Magic, opting to take a shorter deal with a better shot at becoming a starter in New York.

Kevin Bradbury, Duhon's agent, told the Sentinel on Friday that Duhon will sign a two-year deal with the Knicks when free agents can begin signing contracts on Wednesday.

Bradbury said the Magic did not present an offer sheet, but the "parameters" of the Magic's offer "was more than fair." Duhon is believed to have agreed to a contract around $6.5 million with New York -- or roughly $3.25 million a year.

The Magic had deemed point-guard depth their biggest need and wanted the defensive-minded Duhon to back up starter Jameer Nelson.

The club still has their entire mid-level exception available, worth an average of about $6 million per year.

And apparently that is what is available around the NBA to Maggette, a top-flight scorer who could upgrade Orlando's shooting-guard spot.

Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy didn't rule out the team adding a player such as Maggette, and then filling out the roster with minimum-salary players.

As of late Friday, Maggette had yet to agree to sign with any team after opting out of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, although the San Antonio Spurs were thought to be the frontrunner.

Maggette has expressed through friends that he would love to return to Orlando, where he began his career. The Magic acquired him during the 1999 draft but traded him after one season to the Clippers. He averaged 16.1 points in eight seasons in L.A.

The Magic were looking for a true point guard as they courted Duhon, and likely will have to try to re-sign Dooling, a combo guard.

Dooling said he "wasn't surprised" the Magic tried to sign Duhon, but added Duhon's leap to the Knicks could open talks with Orlando, though the Magic have yet to make him a formal offer.

Bradbury said Duhon called Magic General Manager Otis Smith to tell him he was signing with New York.

"For Chris, it came down to the fact he had opportunity to start in New York, and to turn this thing around. It was a short-term deal and he wanted to take that chance to take his game to the next level as a starter," Bradbury said by phone. "It's always tough when it's down to two teams. Chris felt he couldn't lose either way. Chris had a terrific visit in Orlando."

CM won't be a Magic player..and neither will Duhon.

He reportedly signed with the Knicks.

I like the Duhon signing for the Knicks. He's a pass first PG who plays defense - something they sorely missed last year. Knicks will be a much better team next year partially b/c they underachieved like crazy last season and partially b/c Duhon gives them alot of what they needed.

As for Maggette to the Magic, honestly I don't see what the huge deal is. Hedo, Lewis and Maggette all lay the same position. I guess it would give them great depth but the Magic are more in need of a PG or a PF to help Howard in the paint.

I like the Duhon signing for the Knicks. He's a pass first PG who plays defense - something they sorely missed last year. Knicks will be a much better team next year partially b/c they underachieved like crazy last season and partially b/c Duhon gives them alot of what they needed.

As for Maggette to the Magic, honestly I don't see what the huge deal is. Hedo, Lewis and Maggette all lay the same position. I guess it would give them great depth but the Magic are more in need of a PG or a PF to help Howard in the paint.

It will be interesting to see if Duhon will start there or not.

Maggette is a SG, while Hedo and Sweet Lou are both SF. I still think the Magic made a mistake not drafting Arthur last week, bc PF is a great need right now.

It will be interesting to see if Duhon will start there or not.

Maggette is a SG, while Hedo and Sweet Lou are both SF. I still think the Magic made a mistake not drafting Arthur last week, bc PF is a great need right now.

I don't know if it'll happen, but if we end up signing Maggette, I still would like us to trade a couple players with Redick in the deal to Miami for Udonis Haslem, and re-sign Dooling. That way next year our team looks like:

PG Nelson/Dooling

SG Maggette/Bogans/Lee

SF Turkoglu/Shard

PF Shard/Haslem/Cook

C Howard/Gortat/Battie

Or we could try:

PG Nelson

SG Maggette

SF Shard

PF Haslem

C Howard

Have Turkoglu as the 6th man, but get starter minutes. A team like that should be a favorite to win it all.

Archived