Chargers ever closer to heading for the hills

Gainzo

Interesting read on the Chargers situation in San Diego. Could they end up in LA?

Imagine San Diego without the Chargers. It was easy enough to do 50 years ago, when the professional football team not only wasn't here, it didn't exist. But it does now, and there's a growing chance it will exist somewhere else very soon

What's the problem here? They should just build a stadium and sell PSL's.

Thats good in theory but the Chargers still struggle to sell out every game. I doubt they could sell a PSL for $50!

Interesting read on the Chargers situation in San Diego. Could they end up in LA?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20080701-9999-1s1canepa.html

"Chula Vista won't go ahead with the power plant idea until the controversial Gaylord project is resolved one way or the other. Several things must come together before that massive undertaking can be resolved, and the current economic climate isn't helping."

Who knew that Max had something to do with this?

Thats good in theory but the Chargers still struggle to sell out every game. I doubt they could sell a PSL for $50!

Do you really think it's going to be any different in LA? I think the only way they sell out every game there is to sell half their tickets to corporations. And won't that create some crowd noise...

Do you really think it's going to be any different in LA?

If they do go to LA PSL's will be implemented so the Stadium will have all the seats sold. That doesn't mean there will be actual people in those seats but the owner will be getting rich.

I live in San Diego. You guys have no clue how these fans are. Nothing like east coast NFL fans. They are the biggest bandwagon fans you will ever see. They will sellout the season this year because they did good last season. But if they lose a few games to start off, the fans flood craigslist dumping tickets. Every Jets game I have seen there has had 30-40% NY fans. This city is run by a bunch of morons. Makes NY politicians look smart. No one wants to approve tax dollars for anything. I doubt they will get it built. Chula Vista borders Mexico. That would be quite funny. Like we don't have enough illegals here. If the Chargers leave SD, this town will never get an NFL team again.

The Las Vegas Chargers.... Sounds about right.

The owners would have to approve It but never say never ...

No way they ever put a team in Vegas. The NFL has enough trouble keeping guys out of jail, that would be a nightmare. Unless of course the Bengals move there, that seems like a good fit.

I agree the NFL would hate It but It's destined to happen !

In today's economies certain city's can sustain and grow an NFL team and many of the old city's can't !

Vegas will have a team In 10 years.

It won't be a new franchise,It'll be one that didn't "financially" make It In their owners mind!

The Las Vegas Chargers.... Sounds about right.

The owners would have to approve It but never say never ...

I like the sound of that.

Even if the real fans don't go to the games, the tourists will go. Besides, LA will already be crowded with the Vikings and Rams having already moved there.

I live in San Diego. You guys have no clue how these fans are. Nothing like east coast NFL fans. They are the biggest bandwagon fans you will ever see. They will sellout the season this year because they did good last season. But if they lose a few games to start off, the fans flood craigslist dumping tickets. Every Jets game I have seen there has had 30-40% NY fans. This city is run by a bunch of morons. Makes NY politicians look smart. No one wants to approve tax dollars for anything. I doubt they will get it built. Chula Vista borders Mexico. That would be quite funny. Like we don't have enough illegals here. If the Chargers leave SD, this town will never get an NFL team again.

Besides aren't the Chargers already LA's team anyway since the Raiders and Rams left 13 years ago?

I can't imagine a bunch bandwagoners getting all bent out of shape because they now have to drive a couple hours to go to a game.

Suspect they will end up in Vegas because for the rest of America the sports franchises holding municpalities hostage for a new arena or stadium game is over. Qualcomm hosted a Super Bowl not long ago; don't want to play there, fine; vaya con Dios. If they can move to Vegas, good luck. But I doubt any other town is going to roll out the red carpet to publicly finance a highfalutin new stadium for any team to make money.

They won't. San Diegans hate LA. They have that small city complex like Philly. They hate everything "LA", except for the Lakers. I think Orange County would be good. The problem is that LA and OC are infested with Raider fans. I doubt the Chargers could beef up much support. OC is only an hour drive or so from San Diego, but who knows. The owner of the Chargers is from Stockton . I've always thought he would want to move them north. This city is so stupid. They have a huge parcel of land next to Qualcomm. They could build a big facility very easily.

I live in Seattle where the mayor just sold the City's arena lease to new owner Clay Bennett so that he could move the team to Oklahoma City. Lots of huffing and puffing about how the City and State would fight to keep the Sonics, but it was just posturing for cash.

Sonics had been in Seattle for 41 years. The League, the old owners, the new owners and the pols all could care less. As usual, the fans get screwed.

Shout Adios to the chargers

The big problem with the negotations for a stadium is the corrupt City Council and especially the city attorney who is a cronie of Henderson who has been suing the city of San Diego for years over issues with the Padres and Chargers.

The big problem with the negotations for a stadium is the corrupt City Council and especially the city attorney who is a cronie of Henderson who has been suing the city of San Diego for years over issues with the Padres and Chargers.

That's not the only thing he sticks his nose into. He has invaded the construction industry too with his bull crap.

Do not be surprised if San Antonio doesn't come big for the Chargers. I live here in Oceanside, which is in North San Diego County. It would be a huge loss if the Chargers moved. Not all of the fans here are bandwagoners. They have some good classy fans here.

What percentage would that be ? 10% maybe ?

It is true that San Diego does not seem to have as rabid of a core of Chargers fans than a city like NY, but there are several things to consider:

1. San Diego is a migrant town. Almost everyone is from somewhere else. Moany of the people that move here maintain their allegiance to their original sports team as I did with the Jets

2. San Diego while considered a big city, is a series of smaller towns connected together, and is landlocked by Orange County to the north Mexico to the South and the desert east. Because of this the CHargerrs have a much much smaller ool of fans to draw from, maybe 7 or 8 times less than in NY Metro area. That's a big deal. On a per capita basis, there may be more rabid football fans in San Diego than in NY.

3. The Spanos' SUCK as owners. In many ways they go out of their way to not cater to their fan base and actually seem to have a general contempt for the San Diego area in general. They are not involved in the community and present the Chargers not as San Diego's team, but as the Spano's team. There is a huge difference:

Example: San Diego fans LOVE LOVE (estactically LOVE) the powder blue uniforms. 4 out of every 5 jerseys sold are powder blue. A poll taken in San Diego a couple years back indiciated that like 98% of Chargers fans wanted the team to use the powder blues ("the best uniforms in sports" as Berman calls them. Yet the Spanos' refuse to budge and continue to have uniforms designed by their niece or something like that. They continually let the San Diego community and Charger's fans know that they really do not give a rats ass about them or what they want from the organization.

What percentage would that be ? 10% maybe ?

Bro you are coming like you know it all. I am here to enjoy the site not to get into fights. I would say 50%. If you remember several years back when the stadium was being remodeled, they played in San Antonio. The fans there loved it, and they have been interested in the Chargers ever since then. You may want to do your home work before you try to talk smack. It is between them and LA. Ther Spanos know the developer in LA trying to bring a team into the city.

Archived