Still set on leading Jets. (Penny article)

PFSIKH

Still set on leading Jets

Pennington not ready to hand off to Clemens

When his playing career is over, Chad Pennington isn't planning to put his journalism degree from Marshall University to good use. He might consider coaching high school football - he's a "Friday Night Lights" guy - and the way he worked the room at Randy Moss's recent charity golf tournament in Charleston, W.Va., a career in politics seems like a natural fit, too.

But for now, Pennington has more pressing concerns, first and foremost saving his job as starting quarterback with the New York Jets.

Spend a few minutes chatting up Pennington and it's easy to appreciate how he's approaching this latest chapter in his career.

At 32, he's smart enough to realize that if the plans of general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini unfold as they hope, Pennington will be watching from the sideline this season, replaced by 2006 second-round draft pick Kellen Clemens.

While the Jets have termed the Pennington/Clemens competition open - the team split first-team repetitions 50-50 in the offseason - Pennington knows that "even" won't be good enough to retain the job. He'll need to outperform Clemens, a player the Jets obviously want to see succeed after selecting him as the quarterback of the future (49th overall).

"Competition isn't anything new for me, and this is one of those things that Coach Mangini feels is necessary, so I have to react accordingly and react like a professional should," Pennington said, pointing out that he was in a similar situation in 2006 with Patrick Ramsey, Brooks Bollinger, and Clemens. "It's certainly competitive, it's intense, but at the same time it's professional."

Pennington feels he's had one of his best offseasons. He said he underwent a thorough self-analysis and breakdown of his mechanics in hopes of gaining more consistency with his passing velocity, which has long been a knock on his game. He added that his throwing shoulder, also a frequent topic of discussion since he underwent multiple surgeries before winning the Comeback Player of the Year award in 2006, feels strong.

Primarily because he's gone wire to wire as a starter only once in his career, arm strength and durability often dominate the discussion when it comes to Pennington. Yet not to be overlooked is his intelligence, accuracy (65.6 percent career passer), and command of the huddle, three other key attributes for any signal-caller.

Pennington's leadership is also evident in how he has interacted with Clemens, avoiding the awkwardness that can come when two players are competing for one high-profile job.

"It can be a distraction and tough to deal with if you don't know how to handle it as professionals," Pennington said. "With me being the veteran, I feel like I have to set the example. You can't let the criticisms or the comparisons get between our relationship, while at the same time I have to do everything I can to better myself.Continued...

"If Kellen asks me a question or wants to know my opinion on something, I'm truthful with him and give him the best opinion I can. That's what professionalism is all about. My goal is to never fall into immature games where you're getting emotional about it and not handling the situation right. I always try to be a professional and you let the chips fall where they may."

One aspect potentially working in Pennington's favor is the Jets' aggressive offseason approach.

While recent history indicates that teams can flirt with trouble by spending big money on the 30-year-old circuit in free agency and in trade acquisitions, the Jets opened the vault to beef up at the line of scrimmage with perennial Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca (31), right tackle Damien Woody (30), and nose tackle Kris Jenkins (29 in August).

In that case, is the team willing to live with some of the on-the-job growing pains that would inevitably come with Clemens under center? Or is Pennington, a proven leader and the centerpiece of the all-important communication that must take place on the field, the better match?

The Jets have their first training camp practice Thursday, which will mark the first step in providing some answers.

"If Kellen asks me a question or wants to know my opinion on something, I'm truthful with him and give him the best opinion I can. That's what professionalism is all about. My goal is to never fall into immature games where you're getting emotional about it and not handling the situation right. I always try to be a professional and you let the chips fall where they may."

What a guy...

"Competition isn't anything new for me, and this is one of those things that Coach Mangini feels is necessary, so I have to react accordingly and react like a professional should," Pennington said, pointing out that he was in a similar situation in 2006 with Patrick Ramsey, Brooks Bollinger, and Clemens. "It's certainly competitive, it's intense, but at the same time it's professional."

23 of his past 36 regular season games he threw for under 200 yards (and another with a whopping 207), to go with his all-world 39 TD's/35 INT's. How many field goals & special teams/defensive touchdowns does he think a HC is supposed to rely on each game, to go with this 1 TD / 1 INT per game average, so this team can score a measly 20 points?

"Coach Mangini feels [it] is necessary."

Suck my dick. You've been paid like a top-5 quarterback for years. YOU are the one who's been paid to be the difference-maker, you jackass. You haven't been, and so there is competition. What kind of fool would any HC have to be to keep blindly trotting your noodle arm out there without any camp competition?

If you win it, fine. If not, fine. But the whole league knows it's necessary & that you can barely throw a 6 yard pass on a rope (to say nothing of your ridiculous 3-step windup for anything longer than 15 yards) before the defense reacts.

Dickhead.

Suck my dick. You've been paid like a top-5 quarterback for years. YOU are the one who's been paid to be the difference-maker, you jackass. You haven't been, and so there is competition. What kind of fool would any HC have to be to keep blindly trotting your noodle arm out there without any camp competition?

If you win it, fine. If not, fine. But the whole league knows it's necessary & that you can barely throw a 6 yard pass on a rope (to say nothing of your ridiculous 3-step windup for anything longer than 15 yards) before the defense reacts.

Dickhead.

Thank you.

The idiot is getting more delusional daily. He talks like he has all these great accomplisments under his belt that people should automatically acknowledge.

His BIG accomplisment in 8 seasons is:

4 times he's beaten a team that finished the season with better than a 9 and 7 record.

Thats it sports fans - every other season (on average) ole rocket arm guts up and leaves it all on the field to beat a team that finishes better than 1 game over .500

The rest of the time.... I guess he's horribly mediocre or just sucks.

No printer in Canton Ohio is ever going to have to try and figure out how to word that on a leaflet for a ceremony.

23 of his past 36 regular season games he threw for under 200 yards (and another with a whopping 207), to go with his all-world 39 TD's/35 INT's. How many field goals & special teams/defensive touchdowns does he think a HC is supposed to rely on each game, to go with this 1 TD / 1 INT per game average, so this team can score a measly 20 points?

"Coach Mangini feels [it] is necessary."

Dickhead.

Thank you.

The idiot is getting more delusional daily. He talks like he has all these great accomplisments under his belt that people should automatically acknowledge.

His BIG accomplisment in 8 seasons is:

4 times he's beaten a team that finished the season with better than a 9 and 7 record.

Thats it sports fans - every other season (on average) ole rocket arm guts up and leaves it all on the field to beat a team that finishes better than 1 game over .500

The rest of the time.... I guess he's horribly mediocre or just sucks.

No printer in Canton Ohio is ever going to have to try and figure out how to word that on a leaflet for a ceremony.

What are you two ranting about? The guy is repeatedly grilled by the media and makes a couple of inane comments. Comments so bland and vanilla that neither Mangini or Clemens will even notice, yet you too get all up in arms about it. Mangini could have written that bull**** for him.

These are the actual quotes in article:

Competition isn't anything new for me, and this is one of those things that Coach Mangini feels is necessary, so I have to react accordingly and react like a professional should," Pennington said, pointing out that he was in a similar situation in 2006 with Patrick Ramsey, Brooks Bollinger, and Clemens. "It's certainly competitive, it's intense, but at the same time it's professional."

"

It can be a distraction and tough to deal with if you don't know how to handle it as professionals," Pennington said. "With me being the veteran, I feel like I have to set the example. You can't let the criticisms or the comparisons get between our relationship, while at the same time I have to do everything I can to better myself.

If Kellen asks me a question or wants to know my opinion on something, I'm truthful with him and give him the best opinion I can. That's what professionalism is all about. My goal is to never fall into immature games where you're getting emotional about it and not handling the situation right. I always try to be a professional and you let the chips fall where they may."

He has basically said nothing and you two want to jump on him for making a lot of money? That's not his fault, it's the ****ing front office. There is nothing there where is talking about his great accomplishments or his fitting for the HOF blazer.

He has basically said nothing and you two want to jump on him for making a lot of money? That's not his fault, it's the ****ing front office. There is nothing there where is talking about his great accomplishments or his fitting for the HOF blazer.

Hey - we're allowed to hate. People has fought in wars and stuff for that right!

Wow, people really will get on Chad for anything. If he found a cure for cancer tommorow you guys would find a way to spin it against him.

Why couldn't he find it sooner? what an *******.

If Chad Pennington found a cure for cancer, it would get intercepted and run back for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

The insinuation, as always, is that he shouldn't have to. There was no, "I had a bad year" or "I made some critical mistakes that blew a number of very winnable games" or the like. From his perspective, he's in a competition as some victim of circumstance - circumstances beyond his control.

The insinuation, as always, is that he shouldn't have to. There was no, "I had a bad year" or "I made some critical mistakes that blew a number of very winnable games" or the like. From his perspective, he's in a competition as some victim of circumstance - circumstances beyond his control.

Any player that admits not performing perfectly is crucified in the press and on here. See Bryan Thomas. It's not for Chad to say "I suck". That's up to the coaches and us. Plus, you are assuming he is insinuating there shouldn't be a competition. It seems to me that it's the author's slant. All Chad said was if the coach says to compete, I'll compete and I'll try not to be a dick about it. Where the **** do you pull this "circumstance" **** from?

You really are a hater.

Any player that admits not performing perfectly is crucified in the press and on here. See Bryan Thomas. It's not for Chad to say "I suck". That's up to the coaches and us. Plus, you are assuming he is insinuating there shouldn't be a competition. It seems to me that it's the author's slant. All Chad said was if the coach says to compete, I'll compete and I'll try not to be a dick about it. Where the **** do you pull this "circumstance" **** from?

You really are a hater.

I don't agree at all. Plenty of players admit when they didn't play well. Bryan Thomas is a different situation because he admitted to slacking off, not that he didn't play well.

Pennington, from his own words, has rarely (if ever) admitted that he ever played below the level expected of a starting QB who receives superstar money.

I'm all for the "we" stuff 90% of the time, but the team didn't throw those loss-causing interceptions; Chad did. It's not like they bounced off players' hands into those of a defender & that's what sealed the game (like in Baltimore).

I don't agree at all. Plenty of players admit when they didn't play well. Bryan Thomas is a different situation because he admitted to slacking off, not that he didn't play well.

Pennington, from his own words, has rarely (if ever) admitted that he ever played below the level expected of a starting QB who receives superstar money.

I'm all for the "we" stuff 90% of the time, but the team didn't throw those loss-causing interceptions; Chad did. It's not like they bounced off players' hands into those of a defender & that's what sealed the game (like in Baltimore).

We can agree or disagree on whether a player should admit that he sucked, but you can't find anything in that article where Pennington says he played well or that he deserves to start. That was all your projection, hater.

I don't hear Pennington taking the blame for his ****ty play, but I also have never heard him throw anybody under the bus either. He talks like a politician. "We just have to work harder, we just have to execute the game plan better, we'll get it done". That kind of bull****.

We can agree or disagree on whether a player should admit that he sucked, but you can't find anything in that article where Pennington says he played well or that he deserves to start. That was all your projection, hater.

I don't hear Pennington taking the blame for his ****ty play, but I also have never heard him throw anybody under the bus either. He talks like a politician. "We just have to work harder, we just have to execute the game plan better, we'll get it done". That kind of bull****.

By putting it all on Mangini for forcing him to go through another competition, and because the team's record was so piss-poor despite his not having a bad QB rating, he is alluding to the "circumstance" that forces this situation.

And I don't hate Pennington. I only hate that he is and has been the starting QB for the Jets.

There are countless thousands of Jets fans now, that actually believe arm strength is unimportant. ELITE arm strength may be unimportant, but his is off-the-charts sucky & it's silly to believe it doesn't factor into a game plan.

By putting it all on Mangini for forcing him to go through another competition, and because the team's record was so piss-poor despite his not having a bad QB rating, he is alluding to the "circumstance" that forces this situation.

And I don't hate Pennington. I only hate that he is and has been the starting QB for the Jets.

There are countless thousands of Jets fans now, that actually believe arm strength is unimportant. ELITE arm strength may be unimportant, but his is off-the-charts sucky & it's silly to believe it doesn't factor into a game plan.

Putting it all on Mangini? Who is supposed to be declaring an open competition? Is Pennington supposed to stand up and say "I DECLARE AN OPEN QB COMPETITION"? I didn't hear a peep out of the guy when he got benched and I have never heard him say he deserved to start. I've heard him say he wants to start, but not deserves to.

His arm strength has nothing to do with this discussion so stop trying to cloud the issue, hater. Clemens should start unless he completely falls on his ass, but from what I saw of him last year that is still a distinct possibility.

Putting it all on Mangini? Who is supposed to be declaring an open competition? Is Pennington supposed to stand up and say "I DECLARE AN OPEN QB COMPETITION"? I didn't hear a peep out of the guy when he got benched and I have never heard him say he deserved to start. I've heard him say he wants to start, but not deserves to.

His arm strength has nothing to do with this discussion so stop trying to cloud the issue, hater. Clemens should start unless he completely falls on his ass, but from what I saw of him last year that is still a distinct possibility.

I don't have any quotes handy, but I'm pretty sure he said all along that he felt he gave the Jets the best chance to win & his record speaks for itself & such. Game after game, that was blown by his 2nd-half handiwork, and that was still his stance.

Wow, and FINALLY SOMEONE WHO SEE'S THINGS THEY WAY THEY REALLY ARE!

Hi, my name is Chad Pennington and I'm in serious denial. Even though I can no longer throw a 15 yard slant without bouncing the ball twice before it reaches the receiver, I hope to someday lead the Jets, a team that needs a passing attack to be succesful, to the Super Bowl. I have 64 MILLION reasons why I should be the starting Quarterback, beat up on Miami and continue to kneel down and take it up the arse whenever I play New England, minus a lucky lob caught by Jerricho Cotchery on a rainy November day two years ago.

Archived