Article: Did HGH testing force Favre to retire?

ECURB

http://www.e-sports.com/articles/2111/1/Did-the-threat-of-HGH-testing-force-Favre-out/Page1.html

This is an interesting opinion article... and it makes sense... considering how good of shape Favre is still in... and your in denial if you think a LOT of NFL players arent using HGH...

A thought to ponder...

On March 4 2008, an NFL warrior called a press conference and made his retirement known. Quarterback Brett Favre spent 16 years with the Green Bay Packers where he won one Super Bowl title, received three MVP Awards, was selected to the Pro-Bowl nine times. Along the way he also broke all types of NFL records during his long career.

However, to some the announcement of his sudden retirement was a surprise to many, including teammates, coaches and the media. One reason why is because Brett had never mentioned he truly wanted to retire.

In the past two years, he always said he was on the fence, but loved the game so much, and that was what always brought him back. This past season, just before the Seattle Seahawks playoff game the question was posed to Favre again. His answer was directed more towards him returning, and his daughters also wanted him to return next season.

So why the change of heart? Why the sudden change of interest from a man some would say symbolizes the "Iron Man" of the NFL?

I'd like to answer that without taking anything away from his past accomplishments, and say that Favre's decision (along with certain others) to retire might have something to do with another aging player who remained in the game and turned his later career into success – Roger Clemens.

Right now MLB pitcher Roger Clemens is fighting for his "life" against the Feds, and all that he's accomplished in his baseball career might be flushed down the toilet if he ends up going to jail for perjury in his scandal with his alleged use of HGH and steroids.

So how does Favre figure into this?

Favre is 38 years old, and last season he had one of his best, putting up better performances than some of his younger counterparts. Some would say it's due to his veteran status. But, the fact of the matter is that Favre remained in the game as a QB well past the league's QB career expectancy. He was still able to run with the young boys, and why? In my opinion, I would have to say HGH.

So what is HGH, and why would guys like Favre or Rodney Harrison take something like this?

HGH stands for Human Growth Hormone, and is used to help older players by boosting their immune systems (less likely to get sick), strengthening bones with calcium retention (lessens the a chance to have a bone broken and quickens bone healing), and increasing muscle mass.

One of the things it has also been known to do is help older players cope with the rigors of the season. In any sport, the body goes through a gauntlet of wear and tear, and for the older guys it's harder for them to get back on track after game day. HGH can help some of these guys through this.

At this time, the NFL tests for steroids (since 1995), but they don't have a test for HGH. However, after the February meetings this off-season, NFLPA's Union Head Gene Upshaw announced that HGH testing was coming in the form of a urine test, though it wasn't known if it was going to be implemented by next season.

Regardless of the fact when the testing would begin, the buzz was created and older players who were using or tried it even once, are probably looking in the mirror. This is where I think Favre might have made his decision, which would be a smart move on his part because I'm sure he's a business-minded person watching what Clemens is going through.

At this time, Roger Clemens' career is tainted, his Hall of Fame chances are at risk, he could be headed to jail and he's losing millions of dollars in possible ad and endorsement money. Favre is involved in a lot of charity and social projects, a shoe-in for the NFL Hall of Fame, and, as a retired player, is due to land tons of endorsements and advertising money. That is something that would be at risk if he continued to stay in the game and take his chances with HGH testing on the horizon.

Nobody cares to agree or disagree with this?

i disagree because everyone in the league is on growth and there is no reliable test for it. How do you think Nugent got 10 yards on his kickoffs in a 6 month offseason?

because there is no reliable test the union would sue the pants off of the league if they tried to institute it. they could rightly argue that a false positive ruins a man's livelihood.

HGH is synthetic pitutiary gland extract, the body creates it and its very difficult to tell the difference between real growth and fake growth.

http://www.e-sports.com/articles/2111/1/Did-the-threat-of-HGH-testing-force-Favre-out/Page1.html

This is an interesting opinion article... and it makes sense... considering how good of shape Favre is still in... and your in denial if you think a LOT of NFL players arent using HGH...

You wanted comments? Here goes...

The part in bold is a straight out fabrication. There is no reliable urine test for HGH. The NFLPA isn't about to start letting them perform blood tests and even the blood tests, which are reliable, haven't been too effective. The HGH test was instituted for the Athens Olympics, care to guess how may athletes have tested positive? I think it's still at zero.

This article is just irresponsible. Upshaw didn't say testing in the form of a urine test was "coming" he said they'd let them use a urine test if/when available because they weren't interested in allowing blood testing.

IF anybody is going to be caught with HGH it will be, like Clemens, through receipts and the testimony of known dealers or having it found in their locker. That "threat to his legacy" can still happen after retirement. Besides, like Clemens, if he cared about his legacy he wouldn't play this diva bull**** about his retirement.

:lol: You listened to Cowherd yesterday too didn't you?

haha i listen to Cowherd every day except for the ones I work before he's on

I remember when he originally suggested the idea of that website and the next day it came up

This is the dumbest ****ing thing I've seen in awhile

Why is that? Here are Favres stats from the last 3 seasons....

2005: 20 TD/29 INT

2006: 18 TD/18 INT

2007: 28 TD/15 INT

A 38 year old QB had his best season since 2004 and you are wondering why this topic is being brought up?

A 38 year old QB had his best season since 2004 and you are wondering why this topic is being brought up?

so steroids = more TDs?

It's ****ing stupid because there is no such thing as a piss test for HGH, and the players union is never going to allow multiple blood tests.His numbers have gone up because of the players around him. I don't even like Favre or think he's half the QB he's been made out to be, but this is an incredibly ****ing stupid, purley speculative article. Why would he be trying so hard to come out of retirement if he retired because of this phantom test and not on a stupid ****ing whim because they didn't go after Moss.

It's ****ing stupid because there is no such thing as a piss test for HGH, and the players union is never going to allow multiple blood tests.His numbers have gone up because of the players around him. I don't even like Favre or think he's half the QB he's been made out to be, but this is an incredibly ****ing stupid, purley speculative article. Why would he be trying so hard to come out of retirement if he retired because of this phantom test and not on a stupid ****ing whim because they didn't go after Moss.

He will be 39 years old in October. Just sayin.

Archived