Gholston News

BroadwayJ667

This is what I’m hearing on the Vernon Gholston negotiations: The two sides have been talking all day and they’re prepared to go well into the night, with the hope of getting an agreement hammered out by tomorrow. Gholston may miss the first practice (8:45 a.m.), maybe even the second session (5:45 p.m.), but it sure sounds like they’re within striking distance of a deal. It’ll take some time for the league to study and approve the deal, so you may not see the former Ohio State standout on the field until Friday. Why the holdup? Even though the top four picks have signed (Miami’s Jake Long, St. Louis’ Chris Long, Atlanta’s Matt Ryan and Oakland’s Darren McFadden), the recent changes in the collective bargaining agreement have muddied the waters a bit. I won’t bore you with the technicalities, but the CBA changes will have an impact on the length of contracts. Instead of a six-year deal, what most top-10 picks get, Gholston (No. 6 overall) could wind up signing for five years.

Let me take an educated guess: Five years, $45 million, including $24 million in guarantees. I bet I’m not too far off.

Also today, the Jets placed RB Musa Smith and RB Jesse Chatman on the non-football injury list. They activated OT Clint Oldenburg from the NFI.

First practice: 8:45 a.m. tomorrow. The 2008 season is upon us

-Cimini

Is Tanny starting to lose his touch? That's 2 years in a row now, and both over contract length.

I remember reading somewhere that part of the problem was that not manny picks in the top 10 were signed yet, so there is nothing to gauge the value that the pick should garner.

And apparently Chris Long has some crazy contract that is holding up negotiations across the board.

I'm not worried though, it doesnt seem like it should be even close to last year, maybe a day or two at the most.

Is Tanny starting to lose his touch? That's 2 years in a row now, and both over contract length.

That Gholston wasn't signed by Wednesday's reporting date was somewhat surprising, considering the top four picks in the draft are under contract. But recent changes in the collective bargaining agreement complicated matters, especially with regard to contract length. By rule, Gholston caign for up to sixyears, but it could end up being a five-year deal with about $24 million in guarantees.

-Cimini

no he hasn't lost his touch he like 5 most of the other Gms are handcuffed by this assinine CBA that changes rampantly. it'll be done tomorrow. relax

Sup all. New poster here.

If the Jets sign him for less than 6 I'll be very dissapointed. A few days of camp won't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Stay firm Tanny. Lock him down for 6.

Welcome to the site. Excellent name for a Jets fan.

If the Jets sign him for less than 6 I'll be very dissapointed. A few days of camp won't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Welcome to the best Jets site on the web ::GoJets:

Welcome to the site.

Totally agree. Signing him for 5 years effectively means we get him for 4 years before we have to sign him to another mega-deal. If he's all that, the team's not going to want to let him hit free agency & it's anyone's guess what (if any) franchise-player rules will be in place by the year 2012.

I think the McFadden contract muddied things even more than Long. 6 years, $60M with $26M guaranteed for the #4 pick was just ludicrous. The prior year's #4 pick (Gaines Adams) got a 6 year, $42M deal with $18.6M guaranteed.

FYI, last year's #6 pick (LaRon Landry) got this deal: 5 years, $41.5M with $17.5M guaranteed.

Welcome to the site.

Totally agree. Signing him for 5 years effectively means we get him for 4 years before we have to sign him to another mega-deal. If he's all that, the team's not going to want to let him hit free agency & it's anyone's guess what (if any) franchise-player rules will be in place by the year 2012.

I think the McFadden contract muddied things even more than Long. 6 years, $60M with $26M guaranteed for the #4 pick was just ludicrous. The prior year's #4 pick (Gaines Adams) got a 6 year, $42M deal with $18.6M guaranteed.

FYI, last year's #6 pick (LaRon Landry) got this deal: 5 years, $41.5M with $17.5M guaranteed.

Yeah its that McFadden deal that has thrown things out of whack. The parameters the Jets had supposedly somewhat ironed out were in the 6 year 48 million range with some incentives and then the Raiders went and basically gave McFadden a huge deal that you would give to basically a number 1 that doesnt play QB. I dont really understand it since they fought with JaMarcus Russell all last year over money and then way overpaid for McFadden. Either way its more or less reset the market.

The other problem is with the push towards less rookie money and potentially more money for veterans(or at least that is how the owners will say it will happen) in whatever new CBA they come up with next year. This could be the last of the rookie megadeals and the agents want to put their clients in line for the first set of potential new megadeals in 2011, which essentially a 5 year contract would do since the extension would be signed in year 4. They know its better to enter the new market early rather than a year later after teams have spent their money or decide on ways to not spend at all.

Id like to see Gholston in camp and I think the Jets should probably consider some type of void year for the 6th year, but doing a ludicrous balloon payment in year 5 is worthless for the Jets as that essentially locks a guy up only for 4 years.

Archived