Danny Woodhead placed on waived-injured list

Sperm Edwards

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0727,0,5157987.story

Jets' Woodhead placed on waived-injured list

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS3:15 PM EDT, July 26, 2008 Danny Woodhead's NFL dream will have to wait.

The NCAA's career rushing leader injured a knee while practicing in training camp with the New York Jets on Friday, and the team placed him on the waived-injured list the next day.

"Nothing certain, but I'd say it's not looking good for him to be back anytime soon," said coach Eric Mangini, who normally doesn't divulge even the most minimal of injury information.

When asked if it was the left knee -- which Woodhead appeared to be favoring after the injury -- Mangini said: "I think it was."

The exact nature and severity of the injury wasn't immediately known.

The stocky 5-foot-7 running back, a rookie free agent from Chadron State who was already an early training camp fan favorite, went down after running the ball during 11-on-11 drills and pointed to his knee before being helped to the sideline by running back Thomas Jones, fullback Tony Richardson and a team trainer.

He was attended to in a small tent on the sideline, and, after several minutes, Woodhead was carted from the field and into the team's facility.

The native of North Platte, Neb., was undrafted -- mostly because of his size -- despite rushing for 7,962 yards in four seasons at Chadron State. Woodhead also compiled 9,479 career all-purpose yards, second-best in college football history, and was a two-time Harlon Hill Trophy winner as the nation's top Division II player.

Woodhead was a long shot to make the opening day roster, but received a lot of work during the Jets' first three training camp practices on offense and special teams.

Never want to see anyone get injured. But I was rooting against him. We are fine at RB and if e wasted a roster spot on Rudy Ruddiger I'd have been pissed.

If he would have made the roster he would have earmed. I don't know why you'd be 'rooting against' a rookie at this stage.

Just my basic "theories" or whathaveyou of football. Just like you don't lean on an injury prone limited QB to build a team around. Size matters (Sorry Irish, but it does), durability matters, heart matters, ability matters. Excess of one these things only rarely makes up for the lack of the others.

I just don't like limited players like that. I'd rather roll the dice on someone who has all the physical measurables than try to have some feel good story come up with some guy who wasn't drafted by anyone because he was the runt of the litter. If those guys fail, oh well, keep trying until you find the next M.Colston.

Never want to see anyone get injured. But I was rooting against him. We are fine at RB and if e wasted a roster spot on Rudy Ruddiger I'd have been pissed.

If he would have made the roster he would have earmed. I don't know why you'd be 'rooting against' a rookie at this stage.

IrishJET is right... your logic is flawed...

Care to explain why?

Why your logic is flawed?

Your logic is flawed becuase it would NOT be a waste of a roster spot if he made the squad becuase he would have had to prove that he was a capable RB in order to do so...

Much to your surprise... not all good players are known right away... you need to discover some...

Your logic is not to waste a roster spot on a 6th round QB when Bledsoe plays just fine.

It's not that simple though is it?.

It would be a waste of a roster spot if he would be taking that same spot away from a postion that we have little to no depth at, just because he can contribute to specials when we already have that covered by better players who can impact the roster in more than one way. Just because the player is talented enough to make a squad, doesn't mean he gets to. Every year many many players are turned away due to a numbers game and position need. And those players don't get the opportunity to contribute and they go off and sell insurance and build car dealerships. Kids like Woodhead who won't amount to anything more than a PR/KR can be found every year, so you miss out on one, no big deal. You want to talk about Wayne Chrebet, Tom Brady sure. Let me tell you about Little John Flowers, Johnny Morant, Omar Jacobs, Dave Ragone...and about 1000 more who were either good players or D3 "names" but didn't get their opportunties handed to them by either injuries, a soft coach or a chance occurrance. How can we say for sure those players couldn't have risen to be starters in the league?

Everybody wants the Rudy, Vince Papoli story to play out. I just want sound intelligent decision making. And I want it cold and without feeling towards players. Keeping a guy at 5'7" 99 times out of 100 fails.

So if he were to earn his spot by being a great PR, than who do you give up? Positions of need like backup OL? Dlineman? LBs? Defensive secondary players? WR? QB? There is no arguement I can think of that shows the case for keeping Woodhead when we have much better proven options at the position. TJ, Leon, Chatman, Musa. All built for the game, all proven players, what is the point of having another one.

So lets say he proves he is a capable RB. Who do you remove to keep him? Unless you "discover" in one camp that he is the next Dante Hall, he's a waste of a roster space, because we have more than capable PR/KR on the team currently. It's not as easy as if he earned it he should be on the team. You have to look at other factors involved like roster strength at other positions, replaceability, and everything else. If we had good backups for our Oline, 1 legit QB, a true #2 CB, a FS opposite Rhodes, and didn't have to play patchwork with the rest of the squad, sure you can sell me on carrying 5 RBs. But the reality is having a guy like him is unrealistic, and it would hurt the team imo.

It's not that simple though is it?.

It would be a waste of a roster spot if he would be taking that same spot away from a postion that we have little to no depth at, just because he can contribute to specials when we already have that covered by better players who can impact the roster in more than one way. Just because the player is talented enough to make a squad, doesn't mean he gets to. Every year many many players are turned away due to a numbers game and position need. And those players don't get the opportunity to contribute and they go off and sell insurance and build car dealerships. Kids like Woodhead who won't amount to anything more than a PR/KR can be found every year, so you miss out on one, no big deal. You want to talk about Wayne Chrebet, Tom Brady sure. Let me tell you about Little John Flowers, Johnny Morant, Omar Jacobs, Dave Ragone...and about 1000 more who were either good players or D3 "names" but didn't get their opportunties handed to them by either injuries, a soft coach or a chance occurrance. How can we say for sure those players couldn't have risen to be starters in the league?

Everybody wants the Rudy, Vince Papoli story to play out. I just want sound intelligent decision making. And I want it cold and without feeling towards players. Keeping a guy at 5'7" 99 times out of 100 fails.

So if he were to earn his spot by being a great PR, than who do you give up? Positions of need like backup OL? Dlineman? LBs? Defensive secondary players? WR? QB? There is no arguement I can think of that shows the case for keeping Woodhead when we have much better proven options at the position. TJ, Leon, Chatman, Musa. All built for the game, all proven players, what is the point of having another one.

So lets say he proves he is a capable RB. Who do you remove to keep him? Unless you "discover" in one camp that he is the next Dante Hall, he's a waste of a roster space, because we have more than capable PR/KR on the team currently. It's not as easy as if he earned it he should be on the team. You have to look at other factors involved like roster strength at other positions, replaceability, and everything else. If we had good backups for our Oline, 1 legit QB, a true #2 CB, a FS opposite Rhodes, and didn't have to play patchwork with the rest of the squad, sure you can sell me on carrying 5 RBs. But the reality is having a guy like him is unrealistic, and it would hurt the team imo.

You made it too complicated...

He wasnt going to make the roster unless he had the potential to be great... he was a PS squad player... now we dont know at all...

You act like they give away roster spots for fun...

You made it too complicated...

He wasnt going to make the roster unless he had the potential to be great... he was a PS squad player... now we dont know at all...

You act like they give away roster spots for fun...

But you just said above if he was a competent RB he should make the squad. Is the bar being set "competent" or "potential to be great"? If it is a competent player than he's a waste of a roster spot. If he was the next Priest Holmes than this discussion is perhaps one of the more assinine ones I have been involved in.

I'm going to camp next week. Where do I line up to get my roster spot?

But you just said above if he was a competent RB he should make the squad. Is the bar being set "competent" or "potential to be great"? If it is a competent player than he's a waste of a roster spot. If he was the next Priest Holmes than this discussion is perhaps one of the more assinine ones I have been involved in.

Please show me where I used that word...

Now your just lying...

There was no chance he was going to make the roster anyway, but this is still sad news for him. He ran very, very hard both days he practiced, especially the day I was there, never giving up.

did you run for almost 8,000 yds in a college career that ended last year? if so, I'd clear a spot for ya!

Please show me where I used that word...

Now your just lying...

Ecurb: "Your logic is flawed becuase it would NOT be a waste of a roster spot if he made the squad becuase he would have had to prove that he was a capable RB in order to do so... "

I apologize, the word was capable, and not competent... I can see how that would make all the difference.

So if we already have 4 capable RBs, what would the need be to have another one who has less than ideal size, who would likely get killed by a 240 lb Lber. Especially at the expense of another valuable roster spot.

Nothing against Woodhead personally, but please this whole "Rudy" fascination has got to stop. Great, I know, Chrebet was a great story - absolutely zero need with todays athletes to go trying to find another one. I'd rather have a SB trophy than a Disney Movie made about the little engine that could.

Ecurb: "Your logic is flawed becuase it would NOT be a waste of a roster spot if he made the squad becuase he would have had to prove that he was a capable RB in order to do so... "

I apologize, the word was capable, and not competent... I can see how that would make all the difference.

So if we already have 4 capable RBs, what would the need be to have another one who has less than ideal size, who would likely get killed by a 240 lb Lber. Especially at the expense of another valuable roster spot.

Nothing against Woodhead personally, but please this whole "Rudy" fascination has got to stop. Great, I know, Chrebet was a great story - absolutely zero need with todays athletes to go trying to find another one. I'd rather have a SB trophy than a Disney Movie made about the little engine that could.

A little hardcore, no? Leon isn't exactly "built for the game". He's a ****ing midget and he's probably our best RB. Our punt return game is not so hot and a real good return man would be a great help IMO. I would hate for them to hand the kid a spot just because he's a good story, but by your (flawed) logic there is no reason to sign UDFA's since they all have some flaw, be it size, speed, stupidity or character. Musa Smith and Jess Chatman are not exactly Jim Brown and Earl Campbell and finding an UDFA RB that is better is certainly not out of the question.

You'll find I am generally hardcore in that regard. It helps drive home the point.

And the point is why are you wasting resources there? Why not try and find UDFA stories at positions of need? Like say QB, CB, FS, DE, NT... And flaws are fine so long as they can be overcome with hard work. Can woodhead overcome his size without 100 doses of HGH, I doubt it. Why not focus on a position that needs to be upgraded. This game is a physical one, size/strength/speed is always at a premium. Without those building blocks, I don't see much point in trying to go forward. Unpopular view, sure. Everyone wants to root for the little guy. But I just care about winning. Find me a UDFA NT that is 6'1 300 who is all heart but he has to put on 30 lbs. Find me an unpoished route runner who is 6'6" that can jump real high. Find me a guy who is going to take advantage of matchups that we can use, than train him up. Don't get me some kid who is 5'7 that can be replaced by damn near every scatback out of a D1 school that we can get in the 7th round of every draft. RB is such an easy position to replace, that to me, coupled this whole story of Danny Woodhead, made me shake my head. Give him his ticket to the camp, and if he turned out to be Priest Holmes, sure you have the chance to find out, but root for him in the hopes that he is the 1 guy out of 1000 that may spark that kind of career, just cause he has some stupid feel good story behind him? Not a chance.

Leon BTW is very sturdy, he's definitely built for the game. He's short but very,very stout.

You'll find I am generally hardcore in that regard. It helps drive home the point.

And the point is why are you wasting resources there? Why not try and find UDFA stories at positions of need? Like say QB, CB, FS, DE, NT... And flaws are fine so long as they can be overcome with hard work. Can woodhead overcome his size without 100 doses of HGH, I doubt it. Why not focus on a position that needs to be upgraded. This game is a physical one, size/strength/speed is always at a premium. Without those building blocks, I don't see much point in trying to go forward. Unpopular view, sure. Everyone wants to root for the little guy. But I just care about winning. Find me a UDFA NT that is 6'1 300 who is all heart but he has to put on 30 lbs. Find me an unpoished route runner who is 6'6" that can jump real high. Find me a guy who is going to take advantage of matchups that we can use, than train him up. Don't get me some kid who is 5'7 that can be replaced by damn near every scatback out of a D1 school that we can get in the 7th round of every draft. RB is such an easy position to replace, that to me, coupled this whole story of Danny Woodhead, made me shake my head. Give him his ticket to the camp, and if he turned out to be Priest Holmes, sure you have the chance to find out, but root for him in the hopes that he is the 1 guy out of 1000 that may spark that kind of career, just cause he has some stupid feel good story behind him? Not a chance.

Leon BTW is very sturdy, he's definitely built for the game. He's short but very,very stout.

Leon is very, very stout? Very, very? Woodhead is two inches shorter and maybe five pounds lighter. Maybe.

The team needs to improve at every position and their running game blew last year. For the past two seasons they have barely had enough bodies to play the position. Had to re-sign Alvin Banks mid-season just to have enough bodies for practice. You may think the line is more important, but they have a bunch of ****ty ass projects on the line already. I'd be upset about wasting resources on him too, if he were a first day draft pick, but he's an UDFA for Christ's sake. You've never seen him play and you are writing him off based on his height? At a position where it doesn't even matter? That's barely a step above the idiots who don't want to waste their time on him because of his skin color.

I can appreciate you being sick of his story and the kid getting a little too much hype but acting glad he is gone is kind of silly.

Oh yeah. Hater.

Yes Leon is very very stout. Leon was playing b/w 210 and 215 last year. Woodhead is 195 soaking wet. He looked like a high school kid in those photos.

Am I happy he's injured? No that's ridiculous.

Do I think he's a colossal waste of time? Clearly.

All the more reason why they should be looking at more prospects on the OLine is because they have sh*t there on the roster now with regard to all of our backups.

Finally I am writing him off due to depth at the position and his size and his apparent frailty, which I won't use this injury against him, but looking at him playing against guys in the NFL, I'd be afraid for him to get paralyzed.

I'm all for turning up every rock to find players, just do it at a position where we are not stacked with proven NFL talent.

Hater? LOL. Come on. What are we? 13?

Yes Leon is very very stout. Leon was playing b/w 210 and 215 last year. Woodhead is 195 soaking wet. He looked like a high school kid in those photos.

Am I happy he's injured? No that's ridiculous.

Do I think he's a colossal waste of time? Clearly.

All the more reason why they should be looking at more prospects on the OLine is because they have sh*t there on the roster now with regard to all of our backups.

Finally I am writing him off due to depth at the position and his size and his apparent frailty, which I won't use this injury against him, but looking at him playing against guys in the NFL, I'd be afraid for him to get paralyzed.

I'm all for turning up every rock to find players, just do it at a position where we are not stacked with proven NFL talent.

Hater? LOL. Come on. What are we? 13?

Yes. Hater. It's catching on! You'll see.

If Leon is very, very stout and you are worried that Woodhead is going to get paralyzed I suggest you check your eyes. Leon at 215?

The Jets are not stacked at RB. They have one adequate starter, 1 very nice scatback type that might be better than the starter and two crappy FAs that we hope will perform well with the new o-line. Musa Smith has been in the NFL for 5 seasons and has 500 yards rushing. He can't be beaten out by a short guy! Personally I prefer what I've heard about Caulcrick, but that doesn't mean he's any better than Woodhead.

You look under a rock at every position. They are doing it. They have signed tons of "under a rock" guys at WR, DB and O and D lines. Exactly where they need the help. You have a problem with the kid getting press, but that's not the fault of Woodhead or the Jets. Blame the media that's where your beef lies. Besides he didn't get that press because of his height, he got it because he gained 7K plus in college. Caulcrick got his because he comes from Liberia. Which reason is more likely to indicate a diamond in the rough?

For a 5'7 guy, Leon is very built. You guys want to call him small, whatever. Short yes, small no.

I know he's not small, I never said that. In fact I've said that many times regarding Leon. But for 5'7 215 would be beastly, see Maurice Jones Drew who is listed as 5'6 210.

Leon is not 215 lbs, not close.

Caulcrick has the prototypical size and insane leg strength to work with. Played pretty well for Mich St. and can potentially be a Zach Crockett Type of player. Proven track record of racking up TD's against real college programs, so if you ask me which has more upside it is Caulcrick by a mile. Too bad it wont be for us though. Someone will nab him off of the PS, and yes I am assuming he is kept.

We disagree on the RB situation. TJ is a terrific lead back. Not a featured back, but a great guy to partner with an explosive guy like Leon. Perfect RBBC approach. Chatman has been a very solid backup RB on 2 teams, and has proven he can carry the ball as a lead back for a stretch if your starter goes down. I thought sure, anyone can do that behind LT when he was on SD, but he then did it at Miami. So color me impressed. Musa has been a guy I was watching since he came out of Gorgia and was hoping we might get a chance at signing. I am thrilled with the pickup. Those 4 + T.Rich lock up the RB position for me. No way we carry any more than that.

If you love Woodheads ability in space, pump his tiny ass full of HGH, try him out as a WR and hope he can turn into a smaller Wes Welker.

Call it 210 then. or 212. Whatever he was 210+ last year.

No, No, A million times no.

Leon was 200lbs at the most last year, which is still not small for a player of his height.

Thomas Jones who I'm sure you know, is built like a **** house, is 3 inches taller and is only 210.

You think Leon is the same?

No.

Yes. Hater. It's catching on! You'll see.

If Leon is very, very stout and you are worried that Woodhead is going to get paralyzed I suggest you check your eyes. Leon at 215?

The Jets are not stacked at RB. They have one adequate starter, 1 very nice scatback type that might be better than the starter and two crappy FAs that we hope will perform well with the new o-line. Musa Smith has been in the NFL for 5 seasons and has 500 yards rushing. He can't be beaten out by a short guy! Personally I prefer what I've heard about Caulcrick, but that doesn't mean he's any better than Woodhead.

You look under a rock at every position. They are doing it. They have signed tons of "under a rock" guys at WR, DB and O and D lines. Exactly where they need the help. You have a problem with the kid getting press, but that's not the fault of Woodhead or the Jets. Blame the media that's where your beef lies. Besides he didn't get that press because of his height, he got it because he gained 7K plus in college. Caulcrick got his because he comes from Liberia. Which reason is more likely to indicate a diamond in the rough?

Ooh - Dom made a funny.

Caulcrick fell for a different reason - he's a 260-lb FB who caught 27 passes in 4 years combined with his 3.9ypc the past 2 years. Even though he scored a motherload of touchdowns (21) last year, he had two likely roles: blocking FB and short-yardage back. That, and he turns 25 next week. Backs with that resume just don't get drafted high (if at all).

Caulcrick has the prototypical size and insane leg strength to work with. Played pretty well for Mich St. and can potentially be a Zach Crockett Type of player. Proven track record of racking up TD's against real college programs, so if you ask me which has more upside it is Caulcrick by a mile. Too bad it wont be for us though. Someone will nab him off of the PS, and yes I am assuming he is kept.

We disagree on the RB situation. TJ is a terrific lead back. Not a featured back, but a great guy to partner with an explosive guy like Leon. Perfect RBBC approach. Chatman has been a very solid backup RB on 2 teams, and has proven he can carry the ball as a lead back for a stretch if your starter goes down. I thought sure, anyone can do that behind LT when he was on SD, but he then did it at Miami. So color me impressed. Musa has been a guy I was watching since he came out of Gorgia and was hoping we might get a chance at signing. I am thrilled with the pickup. Those 4 + T.Rich lock up the RB position for me. No way we carry any more than that.

If you love Woodheads ability in space, pump his tiny ass full of HGH, try him out as a WR and hope he can turn into a smaller Wes Welker.

You need more than 3-4 backs in camp. I'm pretty sure they signed Woodhead before Musa Smith came along. Musa Smith has accomplished damn near nothing with some pretty decent teams. Maybe he'll pan out here, but he's no lock to make the team. You might have a point about "resources", but THE GUY IS A ****ING UDFA! He cost nothing. They are carrying 80 players, if he shows something and sticks great, if he doesn't then cut him. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Taking a midget that holds tons of rushing records in HS and college and moving him to WR could be the stupidest thing I have heard in weeks. Your posts have been fairly intelligent, even though I don't agree with you, but that's just stupid. First of all, height is MORE important for a WR than a RB. Second of all, the guys skill is running the ball, why move him? Because you are in love with some fictional size chart? You must be this tall to go on this ride? Woodhead is 5'7" 200 lbs.

Besides, these guys are already pumped full of HGH.

Ooh - Dom made a funny.

Caulcrick fell for a different reason - he's a 260-lb FB who caught 27 passes in 4 years combined with his 3.9ypc the past 2 years. Even though he scored a motherload of touchdowns (21) last year, he had two likely roles: blocking FB and short-yardage back. That, and he turns 25 next week. Backs with that resume just don't get drafted high (if at all).

Maybe you guys should have highlighted the part where I said I prefer Caulcrick. Seems like a complement to what the Jets have (need for a short yardage back) Woodhead seems like he'd be a poor man's Leon. I haven't really seen much of either. Seeing Caulcrick score a couple of TDs on a Saturday between beers doesn't constitute having any real insight into his game. Caulcrick will have to learn to block to stick and that is probably as unusual as a 5'7" guy being able to play RB. Camp is the time to see if these guys that cost nothing will have any value.

Archived