Biggest problem

4HCrew

Yup, was indeed pretty worrying. Hopefully it will be sorted. Keller is who I was most concerned with, I know he had one bad drop off of KC. The reason I'm concerned most with him is because I have such high hopes for him and he has such potential physically to be a great TE/WR. Hopefully this does not become a problem with him.

The Dropped passes were bad, but Kellen also had 2 throws batted down and he fell 3 times.

No wonder Chad was beating him out, he still looks pretty bad.

Another thing that was alarming was our run D did not look sharp, neither was our running game.

Those are the biggest concern I had after tonight. We really need to tighten those areas up before the season begins.

The Dropped passes were bad, but Kellen also had 2 throws batted down and he fell 3 times.

Another thing that was alarming was our run D did not look sharp, neither was our running game.

Not for nothing but Kellen tripped over twice not three times. He had 2 balls batted down and 4 dropped passes. Ratliff had a ball batted down in the red zone against 3rd stringers.

I don't give a crap about who will be the Jets backup QB but some people are out of control in their love for Ratliff and their hate for Clemens.

Not for nothing but Kellen tripped over twice not three times. He had 2 balls batted down and 4 dropped passes. Ratliff had a ball batted down in the red zone against 3rd stringers.

I don't give a crap about who will be the Jets backup QB but some people are out of control in their love for Ratliff and their hate for Clemens.

Ratliff also had third stringers blocking for him. Third string defenders are generally quite a bit better than third string offensive players. And you'd think third string WRs would drop more passes than the second stringers, but they were catching pretty much everything Ratliff threw at them, and Ratliff throws harder than Clemens. Favre throws the hardest of all of them and nobody dropped anything from Favre.

You wanted Chad to start for us because you know he sucks. Now you can't have that, so you want Clemens as the #2 because you know he sucks too.

Where was I showing love or hate for anybody?

I was just giving an account of what happened in the game, and I think Kellen fell 3 times not twice.

It was 3 times. Once he fumbled it and it was lost I believe. And I realize he is playing against third stringers - but he is playing with them too. Ratliff just looks more like an NFL QB plain and simple.

It was 3 times. Once he fumbled it and it was lost I believe. And I realize he is playing against third stringers - but he is playing with them too. Ratliff just looks more like an NFL QB plain and simple.
He fell 3 times but he did not turn the ball over on any of them.

He fell 3 times but he did not turn the ball over on any of them.

OK, my bad. I was just going by the box score. He must have fumbled once where the Jets recovered it then. I know Buttle said it was 3 times and I recall it being 3 times. Regardless it was still a very Bubby Bristeresque.

OK, my bad. I was just going by the box score. He must have fumbled once where the Jets recovered it then. I know Buttle said it was 3 times and I recall it being 3 times. Regardless it was still a very Bubby Bristeresque.
Yeah, it looked like he fumbled one and fell on it.

Tripping over your offensive lineman's feet three times doesn't help either.

Maybe he just doesn't throw a catchable ball? There have been other strong armed QB's who have that problem.

All the former QB's here tell me:

After taking the snap, did you routinely focus on your own feet until you were 2 full steps behind the LOS, and only then pay attention to the actual ongoing play?

Seems to me that OL's foot isn't supposed to be there. Either that or Clemens doesn't know how to drop back after being a QB for the better part of the past decade.

Where was I showing love or hate for anybody?

I was just giving an account of what happened in the game, and I think Kellen fell 3 times not twice.

As a Jet fan I would like to think YOU watched the game closer than a Patzie fan.

I thought we got some of the drops out of us when we dropped (no pun) McCariens

We should be fine though, I was worried about our WR before camp but I love what I see so far.

Our OLB on the other hand...

I thought we got some of the drops out of us when we dropped (no pun) McCariens

We should be fine though, I was worried about our WR before camp but I love what I see so far.

Our OLB on the other hand...

The O line is giving great protection, all they need to do now is pick it up making holes for the run game.

I remember 4th and 1 against the Redskins 1st string defense and Thomas Jones took it right up the gut for 4 yards.

We would have never converted that last season, so, I think you guys are being a little too critical of our running game.

Mangini said in his presser after the game that the center (one of the back-ups) kept stepping on Clemens foot after the exchange.

Let me start by saying I am a big Clemens supporter. He definitely didn't get much help from his receivers/TE's last night, particularly Bubba Franks, Keller, Cotchery and Clowney are the four guys I remember off the top of my head that dropped balls from Clemens that hit them right in the numbers.

Ratliff has looked impressive the last 2 games. The offense (2nd and 3rd stringers mind you) seem to rally around him. He delivered the game winning score last night - had Paul Raymond been able to hold onto the damn ball.

The biggest thing that jumps out at me about Ratliff as opposed to Clemens is that Ratliff seems to go through his progressions alot quicker and seems to be alot more decisive in his reads and with his decision making. Ratliff also seems to have the ability to feel when the pocket is collapsing, even when it's coming from his blind-side and is exceptional in his ability to move around in the pocket and avoid pressure.

Yes, Ratliff's playing against 3rd stringers but he is also playing with 3rd string talent on offense for the most part. I know it's only the preseason but to me, he has looked impressive in every aspect of his game. I hope he can maintain his level of performance because this kid really looks like he could turn out to be a hell of a find.

All the former QB's here tell me:

After taking the snap, did you routinely focus on your own feet until you were 2 full steps behind the LOS, and only then pay attention to the actual ongoing play?

Seems to me that OL's foot isn't supposed to be there. Either that or Clemens doesn't know how to drop back after being a QB for the better part of the past decade.

It is funny that you bring up such a valid point and seemingly everyone else just ignores it. I only played qb up until high school, but our rule was that it was ALWAYS the offensive linemans duty to keep their feet out of the way of the qb. They should not even be close. Unless something has recently developed in the way clemens drops back, i doubt it is his problem. He would not have stayed a quarterback very long if this was an ongoing problem.

It is funny that you bring up such a valid point and seemingly everyone else just ignores it. I only played qb up until high school, but our rule was that it was ALWAYS the offensive linemans duty to keep their feet out of the way of the qb. They should not even be close. Unless something has recently developed in the way clemens drops back, i doubt it is his problem. He would not have stayed a quarterback very long if this was an ongoing problem.

I think they had Turner playing C. As far as I know Montgomery is the backup C. I'd say that experiment is not going well.

The biggest thing that jumps out at me about Ratliff as opposed to Clemens is that Ratliff seems to go through his progressions alot quicker and seems to be alot more decisive in his reads and with his decision making. Ratliff also seems to have the ability to feel when the pocket is collapsing, even when it's coming from his blind-side and is exceptional in his ability to move around in the pocket and avoid pressure.

That's what it looked like to me. That Ragu guy's claims that he locks in on his receivers is pretty much the opposite of what I saw on tv.

I don't know how many QB's would seem impressive if the receivers & center screwed up 40% of the pass plays (15 drop-backs: 4 dropped passes, 2x the center stepped on his foot).

That doesn't mean he excelled on all the other plays, but still it's quite a handicap.

Archived