Westhoff will be coming back; Cuts made

Kentucky Jet

Jets set to rehire special teams coach Westhoff

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Friday August 29, 2008, 7:11 PM

With the regular season just nine days away, the Jets are on the verge of rehiring special teams coach Mike Westhoff, according to someone with knowledge of the move. It could happen as early as this weekend.

That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak on the matter.

There were rumblings that the highly-respected Westhoff might return this season but not this soon. Recently-hired Kevin O'Dea will remain with the team but it is unclear how he'll work with Westhoff.

The Jets declined comment.

Westhoff, who spent the previous seven seasons with the Jets, stepped down last December because of health concerns. In February, he underwent major surgery on his troublesome left leg. It was the ninth operation on the leg, where a malignant tumor was discovered in 1988.

Westhoff, 60, has made a speedy recovery and thus the move to bring him back.

Westhoff, who has coached 25 seasons in the NFL, is considered one of the top special teams coaches in the game. His units perennially ranked among the best in the league.

Jets kickoff returners Justin Miller and Leon Washington have combined for five touchdowns in the past two seasons under Westhoff and players love playing for the animated coach, who is never shy about sharing his opinion.

O'Dea, in his 14th NFL season, joined the Jets last February after two seasons with the Bears. It's unknown if he knew there was a possiblity that Westhoff would return when he took the job.

Notes: The Jets Friday began making cuts and among those released were RB Jesse Chatman, who rushed for 93 yards and a touchdown on Thursday night against the Eagles. Also released were veteran LB Matt Chatham, CB Hank Poteat, TE A.J. Schable, NT Thomas Johnson and FB Jehuu Caulcrick.

The team must be down to the mandatory 53-player limit by 4 p.m. Saturday.

Notes: The Jets Friday began making cuts and among those released were RB Jesse Chatman, who rushed for 93 yards and a touchdown on Thursday night against the Eagles. Also released were veteran LB Matt Chatham, CB Hank Poteat, TE A.J. Schable, NT Thomas Johnson and FB Jehuu Caulcrick.

The team must be down to the mandatory 53-player limit by 4 p.m. Saturday.

There are three that weren't on most people's lists. Really surprised about Chatman.

I definitely don't like that we cut Chatman and Caulcrick (who I hope gets on the PS). We only have Jones and Leon now, we don't have a goaline back anymore which was the same problem as last year. I love the Chatham cut though.

Agree, Chatham was always one of my least favorite players. Him and Kassell were terrible.

Chatman being release is a HUGE shock to me. HUGE. Are the Jets playing on carrying just two running backs and Tony Richardson because that is all they have right now with Caulcrick and Chatman being released.

Chatham, good riddance. He wasn't that good to begin with. Maybe a return to New England?

As for Hank Poteat this is a huge, huge surprise to me. Why the f did they not cut Ahmad Carroll instead of Hank? Hank has been a solid contributor since 2006, this was a bad, bad move. I bet you Hank is on his way to sign a 1 year deal with New England tonight or tomorrow morning.

Chatman being release is a HUGE shock to me. HUGE. Are the Jets playing on carrying just two running backs and Tony Richardson because that is all they have right now with Caulcrick and Chatman being released.

Chatham, good riddance. He wasn't that good to begin with. Maybe a return to New England?

As for Hank Poteat this is a huge, huge surprise to me. Why the f did they not cut Ahmad Carroll instead of Hank? Hank has been a solid contributor since 2006, this was a bad, bad move. I bet you Hank is on his way to sign a 1 year deal with New England tonight or tomorrow morning.

Im thinking we are only carring 3 HB/FB because we will have 5 TE's on this roster.

Oh and Jales sorry about your boy Schable.

By keeping two running backs and a fullback it is clear to me that this is going to be a pass first offense. Jets will keep more Tight Ends, Wide Receivers and Cornerbacks. Letting go of Poteat was stupid.

1) Cuts are not over, and that may be why Carroll has not been cut.

2) They may want to cut Chatman, and hope he's around after week 1 so his base salary is not guaranteed for the season.

No he is not eligible

No, he's not eligible for the practice squad.

thanks guys.. that is what i feared. it just doesnt make sense.

could it be that favre is more of a tight end guy.. and i mean that in a purely football way.

Im thinking we are only carring 3 HB/FB because we will have 5 TE's on this roster.

Oh and Jales sorry about your boy Schable.

5 TEs on the roster would be utterly absurd and retarded. These aren't all the cuts yet though so I'm curious who else the plan on cutting and if the plan on picking up any other teams cuts.

"Notes: The Jets Friday began making cuts and among those released were RB Jesse Chatman, who rushed for 93 yards and a touchdown on Thursday night against the Eagles. Also released were veteran LB Matt Chatham, CB Hank Poteat, TE A.J. Schable, NT Thomas Johnson and FB Jehuu Caulcrick"

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...ecial_tea.html

how in the holy **** was chatman cut??????????????

5 TEs on the roster would be utterly absurd and retarded. These aren't all the cuts yet though so I'm curious who else the plan on cutting and if the plan on picking up any other teams cuts.

Not absurd and retarded when you look at our 5 TE's... the only true TE's we have will be Baker and Franks.. Then Keller fits more of a WR role, Pociask can play FB, and Dearth is a long snapper.

Not absurd and retarded when you look at our 5 TE's... the only true TE's we have will be Baker and Franks.. Then Keller fits more of a WR role, Pociask can play FB, and Dearth is a long snapper.

Dearth I would never consider a TE so I thought you were not including him in your five. Dearth is just the long snapper, that is it. There's no reason to call him a TE. As for how this preseason has gone I honestly think Franks has no place on this team, he dropped way too many passes. The only reason he stays is because of Favre.

Dearth I would never consider a TE so I thought you were not including him in your five. Dearth is just the long snapper, that is it. There's no reason to call him a TE. As for how this preseason has gone I honestly think Franks has no place on this team, he dropped way too many passes. The only reason he stays is because of Favre.

I agree I would rather have Pociask over Franks... and agree on Dearth I was just being technical. I really do not want Franks on this team he has just never appealed to me since we got Keller and Pociask has been doing well.

"Notes: The Jets Friday began making cuts and among those released were RB Jesse Chatman, who rushed for 93 yards and a touchdown on Thursday night against the Eagles. Also released were veteran LB Matt Chatham, CB Hank Poteat, TE A.J. Schable, NT Thomas Johnson and FB Jehuu Caulcrick"

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...ecial_tea.html

I can't believe we released Chatman. WTF.

Is it just me or did they remove that article? I don't see anything there right now saying Chatman was cut.

I would be shocked if he was cut. He looked very good. They have nobody else on the roster for that 3rd spot. It is a RB by committee league right now. Who are they going to bring in?

This would be shocking if it were true.

Is it just me or did they remove that article? I don't see anything there right now saying Chatman was cut.

I would be shocked if he was cut. He looked very good. They have nobody else on the roster for that 3rd spot. It is a RB by committee league right now. Who are they going to bring in?

Maybe it got lost in the bushes at Hofstra..

I got this off of Jetsinsider.com. I scrolled down to the bottom of the article and read it. its from a source....not official yet.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60297

merge time!! X3 .. at least.

chatman is featured on the newyorkjets.com site.. it will be a shame if he is cut.. he has some mad moves.

you not lying. ****, only if Thomas Jones could show moves like that. If Jessie is really cut I think that it'll be the first bad move of the Jets this season.

you not lying. ****, only if Thomas Jones could show moves like that. If Jessie is really cut I think that it'll be the first bad move of the Jets this season.

Thomas seems to run into walls. last year it was blamed on the holes in the OL.. what is the excuse this year. he has been lackluster in preseason.

leon is awesome and also has some incredible dance moves.. but because he is small he is not taken seriously.

This can't be right. No way can we go into the season with only Jones and Leon. WTF do we do in goaline situations? TJ sure as hell aint gonna push a pile and as much as I love Leon I can't see him cutting it in the redzone consistently. Chatman has looked very good in preseason, I cannot see how we could be even considering cutting him.

Unless the FO have been planning to bring in a RB (Rudi Johnson? Shaun Alexander?) then cutting Chatman makes absolutely no sense at all!

Bringing in Shaun Alexander or Rudi Johnson would make LESS sense than cutting Chatman. I can rationalize cutting Chatman.. cut him, sign him after week 1, avoid his roster bonus, avoid guaranteeing his salary. Risky though.

Bringing in Shaun Alexander or Rudi Johnson would make LESS sense than cutting Chatman. I can rationalize cutting Chatman.. cut him, sign him after week 1, avoid his roster bonus, avoid guaranteeing his salary. Risky though.

I doubt he'll be available after week 1 to be honest.

I agree that thos moves would not make sense, I'm not a fan of either back at this stage in their career. I'm just trying to think of reason that could justify Chatman getting cut.

I doubt he'll be available after week 1 to be honest.

I agree that thos moves would not make sense, I'm not a fan of either back at this stage in their career. I'm just trying to think of reason that could justify Chatman getting cut.

I proposed the best, most logical reason this time... They may decide they can pick up a bruiser to run the ball in on short yardage for league minimum.. a guy you may not have heard of...

Archived