Jeb Putzier at TE

Nick Ferraro

The Jets brought in restricted free agent TE Jeb Putzier for talks. He would be a majore upgrade at TE. He has good hands and can get open down the field. He has deceptive speed, and he is still developing.

The Jets would have to give Denver a sixth-round pick in this year's draft if they sign him. Putzier would be well worth the late pick.

My guess is that Denver would match any offer given Putzier's potential, but the Jets should try their best to bring him to NY.

Putzier Visits Jets --

Fri Mar 4, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

#

The Denver Post reports TE Jeb Putzier, a restricted free agent, arrived in New York for a visit with the Jets yesterday. The Jets could try to sign Putzier to an offer sheet this morning. Then Broncos would have seven days to match the offer. If Denver doesn't match, the Jets would send their sixth-round pick in April's draft to the Broncos. "We're impressed how interested the Jets are in Jeb," agent Joe Linta said. "They are talking about an offer we may pursue."

MORE ABOUT HIM

Broncos secure Hamilton, Gold

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

Post file

Jeb Putzier

Thursday afternoon, the Broncos brought one draft choice home and kept another in tow.

However, late Thursday night, they became in danger of losing another.

In a surprising development, Tight end Jeb Putzier, a restricted free agent, arrived in New York for a visit with the Jets.

Denver signed linebacker Ian Gold - a second-round Broncos pick in 2000 - and retained free-agent guard Ben Hamilton. Gold came close to signing during a hastily set-up visit Wednesday. Hamilton's deal has been in the works the past several days.

The Jets could try to sign Putzier to an offer sheet this morning. Then Broncos would have seven days to match the offer. If Denver doesn't match, the Jets would send their sixth-round pick in April's draft to the Broncos.

"We're impressed how interested the Jets are in Jeb," agent Joe Linta said. "They are talking about an offer we may pursue."

Linta said there are other teams interested in Putzier, who developed into a strong receiving tight end last season. He was Denver's sixth-round pick in 2002.

Hamilton, a fourth-round draft choice in 2001, signed a five-year, $16.25 million deal with $5.5 million in guaranteed money. Hamilton could move to center as soon as 2006. Center Tom Nalen is 33 and scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of next season.

Gold comes back to Denver after one season with Tampa Bay. Gold agreed to a five-year contract worth about $22.5 million with an $8.5 million signing bonus. Gold represented himself in the deal.

"We're extremely happy that we got a player that we drafted back," Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist said. "I told Ian that it pained us to see him in a Tampa Bay uniform last year. We're really happy that we were able to work it out that he's back with us."

Gold's preference is to play weakside linebacker so there's a chance D.J. Williams, entering his second NFL season, would be moved to strongside linebacker. especially valuable when Denver uses a 3-4 defense.

With Gold coming in, free-agent Donnie Spragan, who started at strongside linebacker last season, is looking elsewhere. He is visiting Miami on Monday.

The Broncos are visiting with Seattle defensive end Chike Okeafor today. He could be signed to replace Reggie Hayward, who signed a five-year, $25 million deal with Jacksonville, with $10 million in guaranteed money. Jacksonville. Okeafor has registered 16 1/2 sacks over the past two seasons.

The Broncos have had some discussions about St. Louis defensive end Bryce Fisher.

Denver also has had preliminary talks with Seattle tight end Itula Mili and Baltimore guard Bennie Anderson. San Diego agreed to terms with Green Bay defensive back Bhawoh Jue, in whom the Broncos had shown interest.

Meanwhile, defensive tackle Gerard Warren passed his physical with the Broncos, finalizing his trade from Cleveland. He was acquired for a fourth-round pick. Texas Tech and was waived during training camp that year.

4H, maybe if Pollard can bounce back, that would be a good thing...But Pollard is getting up there a bit in age (33 or 34) and had his worst NFL season since he started playing a lot. His best game of the season in 2004, as a fulltime starter, (Colts start 2 TE's), was 4 receptions for 42 yards against the Houston Texans 3rd string inside LBer....

#########

Here's what I wrote about Putzier a couple weeks ago.

Jeb Putzier, all things considered, was a darn good 6th round pick for Denver and I'm suprised he got the low tender (although him and the team may be working on an extension--he's from that part of the country).

I remember him well as tall WR, for the Boise State Broncos....He's made a great conversion in a short time period.

He had a fantastic season in 2004--36 receptions (part time) and averaged almost 16 yards per catch.

If he can keep improving, with that type ability to pick up yards, he could be a Pro Bowler---despite the strange name.

Now, would any Jets fan complain if a Becth or Baker averaged 16 yards per catch?

Broncos already cut Chamberlin....Here's something from the Denver Post, recently.

Tim Brewster knows Pro Bowl tight ends. He thinks he could easily coach another.

Brewster's primary task as the Broncos' tight ends coach will be to help Jeb Putzier make it to the next level. In his first year as the team's primary tight end, Putzier showed promise as Shannon Sharpe's main replacement.

"He's just scratching the surface," said Brewster, whose deal was finalized Monday. "Jeb has all the makings of becoming an outstanding tight end in the NFL."

Brewster has been credited with the development of San Diego Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates, who didn't play college football.....

4H, maybe if Pollard can bounce back, that would be a good thing...But Pollard is getting up there a bit in age (33 or 34) and had his worst NFL season since he started playing a lot. His best game of the season in 2004, as a fulltime starter, (Colts start 2 TE's), was 4 receptions for 42 yards against the Houston Texans 3rd string inside LBer....

#########

Here's what I wrote about Putzier a couple weeks ago.

Jeb Putzier, all things considered, was a darn good 6th round pick for Denver and I'm suprised he got the low tender (although him and the team may be working on an extension--he's from that part of the country).

I remember him well as tall WR, for the Boise State Broncos....He's made a great conversion in a short time period.

He had a fantastic season in 2004--36 receptions (part time) and averaged almost 16 yards per catch.

If he can keep improving, with that type ability to pick up yards, he could be a Pro Bowler---despite the strange name.

Now, would any Jets fan complain if a Becth or Baker averaged 16 yards per catch?

Broncos already cut Chamberlin....Here's something from the Denver Post, recently.

R44 and not to slight you Nick Ferraro For a 6th round draft choice I would do this today to sign him. 6th round is going to be a crap shoot anyway and we can bring in a young t/e with playing experience and hopefully with upside.

Thanks faba, I think NF agrees with us...

I know the 15 year olds "elsewhere" went out of their way to collectively blast this player, because they seem to have some fantasy that drafting a TE like Alex Smith in round 2 automaticaly equals longtime superstar :oops:

When they watch football a little longer, maybe by the time they are 20 or so, they will realize there's a HUGE difference between a player like Putzier that proves himself on an NFL field and player that runs fast in shorts on a track :o

Anybody remember the Jets and Giants going to TE back to back in 1993 early in round 1?...It's hard to even begin to consider which was a bigger bust.

But yes, this kind of player is worth multiple 6th rounders.

Derek Brown, baby. Holy did he suck.

I am so skeptical right now with these RFA's coming in here trying to drive up their price. I'd like to grab Putzier, but I just don't know if we have the FO personnel to get it accomplished right now. We are every agent's bitch.

TS, nothing will come of this, other than bidding up his price for the Broncos...

He's from Idaho, so the Broncos are kind of his local team--Broncos are the "unofficial team" of the Moutian West States...

He'll re-sign...Jake Plummer is from Idaho...Don't be suprised to see Rob Morris from Idaho sign too, as they look for size at LB in their new 3-4 defense.

But Jets are very wise to look

#####

Derek stunk right off the bat...Story I saw, was LT wanted to test Derek in the first practice and popped him in the face--broke his jaw.

From that point on, temmates said he practiced and played like a curled-up, trembling rabbit...so much for a guady 40 time :shock:

I like Putz. He really showed nice hands and good speed. I'm not sure about his blocking, though. I just never really took notice of his blocking ability.

The question is, how does Heimerdinger feel about him?

With Bradway making an offer, I'd think that Heimer is pretty high on him.

TS, nothing will come of this, other than bidding up his price for the Broncos...

He's from Idaho, so the Broncos are kind of his local team--Broncos are the "unofficial team" of the Moutian West States...

He'll re-sign...Jake Plummer is from Idaho...Don't be suprised to see Rob Morris from Idaho sign too, as they look for size at LB in their new 3-4 defense.

Ya see... this is the type of abstract thinking that I am simply NOT capable of. If it ain't black or white, then it ain't a color to me :wink:

#####

Derek stunk right off the bat...Story I saw, was LT wanted to test Derek in the first practice and popped him in the face--broke his jaw.

From that point on, temmates said he practiced and played like a curled-up, trembling rabbit...so much for a guady 40 time :shock:

Does he have a choice?

I don't believe so. If the Broncos fail to match, I don't believe that he could turn down the deal and stay with Denver. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he has a choice.

Thanks Westchester ( nice talking to you FJGM). I'm just venturing a guess...He goes from the Boise State Broncos to the "local" Denver Broncos...Hard to believe he bails now :shock:

Miami, you are right....The Jets could blow the Broncos away. But Broncos "purged" their whole TE crew recently and the 2004 draft is weak at TE (except the TE from Virginia)...I gotta believe he's a "must have' for the Broncos. And they love him (as the Denver Post quote above shows).

But, again, you are right. We just have to wait and see with the money.

I like Putz. He really showed nice hands and good speed. I'm not sure about his blocking, though. I just never really took notice of his blocking ability.

The question is, how does Heimerdinger feel about him?

With Bradway making an offer, I'd think that Heimer is pretty high on him.

Dinger has gotta like him alot for The Jets to bring him in for a visit.

Remember Denver's offensive system is now our system. Dinger and Shanahan run the same scheme with a bit of variation between the two but it's essentially the same scheme.

Jeb would be playing in the same system he thrived in last year.

I think The Broncos are going to match.

It's very clear to me now that The Jets are looking to sign young players who are on the brink of rising to the next level.

It's the same thing, They did with McCareins, Barton and Barrett last year.

It's not a bad deal at all Tom.

Didn't the Broncos just sign Ian Gold, resign Ben Hamilton and lose Reggie Hayward? Kenoy Kennedy supposedly signed with San Diego?

My point is that Bradway has offered a pretty fair contract to Jeb, and at the same time put Denver in a bind with having to match.

They have a serious hole to fill at DE, having lost Bertrand Berry and Hayward in consecutive years, and having sent Trevor Pryce off for a 3rd or 4th, which leaves them seriously thin.

They might not match....

I hope not

Hamilton stays with Broncos, Gold comes back

NFL.com wire reports

DENVER (March 3, 2005) -- Ian Gold is coming back to Denver and Ben Hamilton is staying put.

The Broncos signed Gold, a sixth-year linebacker, to a free agent contract, bringing him back to the team after a one-year stay with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Hamilton, meanwhile, will stay with the team despite being a coveted offensive lineman in free agency.

Terms for both deals were not immediately available.

Denver has also been negotiating with free agent defensive lineman Chike Okeafor. The signings of Gold, Hamilton and the trade for defensive lineman Gerard Warren, however, could very well be their biggest moves of the offseason.

Gold, a second-round draft pick in 2000, became a starter for the Broncos in 2002 and made 6

SO A GOOD CHANCE HE'S OURS

Hamilton stays with Broncos, Gold comes back

NFL.com wire reports

DENVER (March 3, 2005) -- Ian Gold is coming back to Denver and Ben Hamilton is staying put.

The Broncos signed Gold, a sixth-year linebacker, to a free agent contract, bringing him back to the team after a one-year stay with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Hamilton, meanwhile, will stay with the team despite being a coveted offensive lineman in free agency.

Terms for both deals were not immediately available.

Denver has also been negotiating with free agent defensive lineman Chike Okeafor. The signings of Gold, Hamilton and the trade for defensive lineman Gerard Warren, however, could very well be their biggest moves of the offseason.

Gold, a second-round draft pick in 2000, became a starter for the Broncos in 2002 and made 6

Here's what Bronco fans are thinking....

http://www.broncosfreak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10414

Here's a quote from Tim Brewster, Denver Broncos tight end coach:

Denver finalizes Brewster's deal - Denver Post - Bill Williamson

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - Tim Brewster knows Pro Bowl tight ends. He thinks he could easily coach another. Brewster's primary task as the Broncos' tight ends coach will be to help Jeb Putzier make it to the next level. In his first year as the team's primary tight end, Putzier showed promise as Shannon Sharpe's main replacement. "He's just scratching the surface," said Brewster, whose deal was finalized Monday. "Jeb has all the makings of becoming an outstanding tight end in the NFL."

Brewster has been credited with the development of San Diego Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates, who didn't play college football.

Archived