Please somebody make a case for me....

lancemehl

why Ty Law over Justin Miller?

He looked like he was 45 out there. No return threat, no upside only a very steep downside. I like Miller, Poteat, Lowery, and Barrett over Law at this point, and the SS talk to me is ridiculous, you don't take a cornerback who's lost a step and make him the enforcer. Elam sucked Sunday, but so did everyone, up to that he played well. Ty Law is hardly a "punisher" out there, nor can he cover ground. Also,again, Miller is a return man, and a damn good one. All respect to Law in his prime. OK, I'll let you answer now, sorry, lol(I DO want to be wrong) :

why Ty Law over Justin Miller?

He looked like he was 45 out there. No return threat, no upside only a very steep downside. I like Miller, Poteat, Lowery, and Barrett over Law at this point, and the SS talk to me is ridiculous, you don't take a cornerback who's lost a step and make him the enforcer. Elam sucked Sunday, but so did everyone, up to that he played well. Ty Law is hardly a "punisher" out there, nor can he cover ground. Also,again, Miller is a return man, and a damn good one. All respect to Law in his prime. OK, I'll let you answer now, sorry, lol(I DO want to be wrong) :

Because Justin Miller cannot play the cornerback position.

TY Law is a CB who lost a step because of age. Justin Miller is a KR who masqueraded as a CB.

+1000

I'd rather have Justin Miller the Kick returner than Ty Law the CB right now, just my opinion.

and judging from the entire time Law has worn a jet uniform, Miller has been a better Corner again, IMO.

but thanks for the response.

I guess we're all a bit split on this one.

I'd rather have Justin Miller the Kick returner than Ty Law the CB right now, just my opinion.

and judging from the entire time Law has worn a jet uniform, Miller has been a better Corner again, IMO.

but thanks for the response.

I guess we're all a bit split on this one.

Eh you mean including that 03 season??

Miller had no idea how to play CB. What I mean by that is he had physical gifts to play the position but just didn't know how to play it. He's had a lot of time to learn it and just didn't seem to fit the mold. With the way Leon has played I don't miss him. Law has not been horrid considering he came off his couch to play.

Ty Law will be a shut down corner come play off time. Hopefully, we are still playing football.

I'd like to believe that. Unfortunately, I think the problem is father time, not getting in shape. 34 is a nice age for everything except CB and running for president. Law is done.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Law has been good in coverage. The TD against the Broncos was not his fault, neither was the TD given up to Randy Moss. He had good coverage in both cases. The one against the Broncos was the safeties fault for not picking up the WR. It was a zone coverage.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Law has been good in coverage. The TD against the Broncos was not his fault, neither was the TD given up to Randy Moss. He had good coverage in both cases. The one against the Broncos was the safeties fault for not picking up the WR. It was a zone coverage.

He is slow and a step behind when he has to chase. When he can get his hands on you at the LOS, he is still decent.

Ty Law is in his training camp right now. Except the games count. He is basically here for the playoffs at this point as scary as that may sound.

what is scary is that the ty law signing confirms that we suck at the other corner. the coaches know it. And they spelled it out for us by signing him.

I was hopeful that justin miller would step up into a good corner. I have to trust the coaching talent assessment here though.

Do you see how far off he plays? When they have completed slants against him he is so far away it is ridiculous. And most of the time they have a safety behind him protecting against the long pass. And that is using a body that could be helping cover the TEs over the middle.

I'd like to believe that. Unfortunately, I think the problem is father time, not getting in shape. 34 is a nice age for everything except CB and running for president. Law is done.

I guess you never saw Darrell Green play. Seriously though Law has never been a fast corner. He has always been smart and physical. The Jets biggest coverage problem stems from their MLB's not being able to get deep enough to cover the middle of the field in a zone as well as stop the run. We need David Harris back and healthy in the worst way right now.

I guess you never saw Darrell Green play. Seriously though Law has never been a fast corner. He has always been smart and physical. The Jets biggest coverage problem stems from their MLB's not being able to get deep enough to cover the middle of the field in a zone as well as stop the run. We need David Harris back and healthy in the worst way right now.

Darrell Green was not human. :) He still ran a 4.2 when he was 40!!!!

Do you see how far off he plays? When they have completed slants against him he is so far away it is ridiculous. And most of the time they have a safety behind him protecting against the long pass. And that is using a body that could be helping cover the TEs over the middle.

Did you see what type of coverage they were playing? They were playing a soft zone hoping they would eventually get Cutler to get too aggressive and make a mistake. The problem wasn't Law, it was the MLB's. And the fact that he plays off means nothing. It is by design. LAw doesn't choose what type of coverage to play.

Darrell Green was not human. :) He still ran a 4.2 when he was 40!!!!

Very true. Just saying I don't feel Law is done because he wasn't fast in his prime. He was smart and physical. Remember what he did to Santana Moss a few years ago? He was never, ever as fast as Moss. He just knew what Moss was doing and played him physical. Ditto Marvin Harrison.

Very true. Just saying I don't feel Law is done because he wasn't fast in his prime. He was smart and physical. Remember what he did to Santana Moss a few years ago? He was never, ever as fast as Moss. He just knew what Moss was doing and played him physical. Ditto Marvin Harrison.

No doubt he was great in his prime. Watching him run, I just think he has lost too much speed to be effective left alone in man to man. And this defense has got to blitz more which means more man to man. This zone defense without a pass rush is killing us.

I really hope you are right about Law though. If they don't straighten out this pass defense, this season is going to end up very disappointing.

Seriously though Law has never been a fast corner. He has always been smart and physical.

Huh? Law used to cover NYJ Santana Moss by himself back in his glory days. Randy Moss too.

Basically, Laws half of the field was off limits much like when Deon Sanders played.

He was fast but no more. I watched virtually all his KC games and he gave the WR's a 10 yard cushion

Huh? Law used to cover NYJ Santana Moss by himself back in his glory days. Randy Moss too.

Basically, Laws half of the field was off limits much like when Deon Sanders played.

He was fast but no more. I watched virtually all his KC games and he gave the WR's a 10 yard cushion

I dont' know if he was ever fast, what he was was A) aggressive and B) smart. He got away with a lot back then. And the one thing the guy always had is ball hawk skills. The Patriots have been good at identifying those type of players. CB is such a "feel" position on top of physically tough.

Hes better in run support and can still open field tackle.

that's great, but at S, you take 2 wrong steps and it's a TD

I say let him learn it over the summer if he sticks around next year

let him mug guys at the line, that's all he is good for now

I dont' know if he was ever fast, what he was was A) aggressive and B) smart. He got away with a lot back then. And the one thing the guy always had is ball hawk skills. The Patriots have been good at identifying those type of players. CB is such a "feel" position on top of physically tough.

Its impossible to have been a top notch cover CB and not have speed.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=912&hubname=nfl-jets

He used to take Randy Moss out of games by himself.

I think the guy was amazing over the course of his career. But you can't compare him to Deion Sanders speed. What made Law a "top notch" corner wasn't his speed it was his know-how. He had above-average speed over the course of his career. Not top-notch speed.

It was never because of his speed that he took these guys out of games. They made a rule because of his over aggresive play for crying out loud. He was always agressive and took risks he shouldn't have - but that paid off for him because he is smart.

It doesn't even matter anyway because it's not like he has been toasted since being here.

Law was a different corner than Deon. Also Herm put Ty Law 10 yards off because he plays every corner 10 yards off. Mangini has not been playing him 10 yards off the whole time he has been here.

None of the receptions against him are his fault--its those damned opposing quarterbacks throwing the ball. If we can stop that, then Law will make the pro-bowl. Seriously, a feel-good story doesn't mean squat when you have to be delusional to believe it. Law was the most savvy corner ever hands down. He knew how to hold, interfere, trip and flick boogers at the recievers. He got into thier heads. Sadly the rules have changed and his rep no longer insulates him from flags. He's become david Barrett, only more popular, now.

I think the guy was amazing over the course of his career. But you can't compare him to Deion Sanders speed. What made Law a "top notch" corner wasn't his speed it was his know-how. He had above-average speed over the course of his career. Not top-notch speed.

I'm not saying he had D Sanders speed. Sanders returned punts and kicks. Simply that, QB's didnt throw to his side of the field and he was playing man - to - man. Just like Sanders.

In his prime, Law wasnt slow. The TSN scouting report states "Law could turn and run with anyone" And, he did. I watched enough of his games to know. NE had more flexibilty on D with Law back there because he didnt need Safety help.

Law was a different corner than Deon. Also Herm put Ty Law 10 yards off because he plays every corner 10 yards off. Mangini has not been playing him 10 yards off the whole time he has been here.

Its Herms fault Law was cut in KC and out of work making no money?:rl:

Sr Lance just posted that Law is playing too far off the WR's.

Archived