Mets Looking to Add Putz to Bullpen- (Don't they already have enough?)

Lil Bit Special

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/12/mets_close_to_landing_putz_in.html

The Mets, Mariners and Indians appear to be on the verge of a three-team deal in which J.J. Putz would go to New York as the setup man to the newly acquired Francisco Rodriguez.

The particulars of the deal were still being worked out Wednesday night at the Bellagio, but MLB.com has learned the Mariners would likely receive Indians outfielder Franklin Gutierrez and the Indians would receive Mets right-handed reliever Joe Smith and Mariners infielder Luis Valbuena.

Mets right-hander Aaron Heilman and Mariners outfielder Jeremy Reed are also believed to be involved, though it is unclear who is headed where.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/31161-mets-could-land-putz-in-3-team-mega-deal

LAS VEGAS -- The Mets, Indians and Mariners are discussing a 12-player trade in which Seattle reliever J.J. Putz would go to the Mets. In the deal being discussed, the Mets would surrender six players, including outfielder Endy Chavez, relief pitcher Aaron Heilman and first base prospect Mike Carp. The Indians would be giving up rightfielder Franklin Gutierrez.

Putz was an All-Star in 2007 when he went 6-1 with 40 saves and a 1.38 ERA, but he struggled badly at times in 2008, finishing with 15 saves and a 3.88 ERA. The Mets signed Francisco Rodriguez this week to be their new closer, and Putz could be used as a set-up man.

News of the discussion was first reported by FoxSports.com.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/31161-mets-could-land-putz-in-3-team-mega-deal

LAS VEGAS -- The Mets, Indians and Mariners are discussing a 12-player trade in which Seattle reliever J.J. Putz would go to the Mets. In the deal being discussed, the Mets would surrender six players, including outfielder Endy Chavez, relief pitcher Aaron Heilman and first base prospect Mike Carp. The Indians would be giving up rightfielder Franklin Gutierrez.

Putz was an All-Star in 2007 when he went 6-1 with 40 saves and a 1.38 ERA, but he struggled badly at times in 2008, finishing with 15 saves and a 3.88 ERA. The Mets signed Francisco Rodriguez this week to be their new closer, and Putz could be used as a set-up man.

News of the discussion was first reported by FoxSports.com.

I've seen Putz play and the dude CAN play. I think he'd be a great addition to your bullpen and he can do the 8 role but can throw a little more then that. He was kinda injured last year so that could be a concern but I still think he'd be a valuable piece. Kinda solidfy those innings that seem to have been an issue.

It would be. Now I just need to find a reason to be pissed off about this..... :)

ok.... we still need 2 starters and a C, 2B, LF, 1B who plays decent all season, bench...

Pitching wins championships and you need relievers to get to KRod. Adding Putz is more important than replacing Luis Castillo and Brian Scheinder.

here's the trade, I think it's final...

The Mets, Mariners and Indians have a 12-player blockbuster just announced:

Mets get: RHP J.J. Putz, OF Jeremy Reed, RHP Sean Green

Mariners get: RHP Aaron Heilman, OF Endy Chavez, RHP Joe Smith, LHP Jason Vargas, OF Ezequiel Carrera, RHP Maikel Cleto, OF Frankin Gutierrez.

Indians get: 1B Mike Carp, INF Luis Valbuena.

LAS VEGAS -- One day after signing closer Francisco Rodriguez, the Mets have acquired J.J. Putz in a three-way trade with the Mariners and Indians.

The Mets are sending right-hander Aaron Heilman, outfielder Endy Chavez and Double-A first baseman Mike Carp to the Mariners and Joe Smith to the Indians, who will send right fielder Franklin Gutierrez to Seattle. The Mets are also getting Seattle reliever Sean Green and outfielder Jeremy Reed in the deal. The Indians get reliever Joe Smith from the Mets and infielder Luis Valbuena from Seattle.

Putz, who was an All-Star in 2007 when recorded 40 saves with a 1.38 ERA, will become is a high-priced setup man for the Mets. He's owed $5 million in '09 and has a team option for 2010 at $8.6 million with a $1 million buyout.

I'm happy.

Putz will be a great addition.

Green is 29, has never been good in MLB in 3 years, but had very good stats in the minors so he has a chance to help the bullpen.

Reed is 27 and can play all OF positions and some 1B if needed. He fills the 5th outfielder role.

So we replace Endy and Smith with Green and Reed, and get Putz for Heilman and Carp.

I'm happy.

*** Also gave up Maikel Cleto and Ezequiel Carerra. Cleto has been unimpressive in 2 years in the minors as a pitcher and Carrera is an outfielder who is going into his 4th year and has never been above A+ so no big loss with these two. ***

*** And forgot about Jason Vargas who has been unimpressive in the majors and really had no role with the team***

I'm happy.

Putz will be a great addition.

Green is 29, has never been good in MLB in 3 years, but had very good stats in the minors so he has a chance to help the bullpen.

Reed is 27 and can play all OF positions and some 1B if needed. He fills the 5th outfielder role.

So we replace Endy and Smith with Green and Reed, and get Putz for Heilman and Carp.

I'm happy.

I agree. Also Putz is a nice trade chip to fox whatever situation we have now or during the season. While unlikely , we can still find someone else for the 8th inning and move Putz (who wants to close) for a nice SP or bat.

*** Also gave up Maikel Cleto and Ezequiel Carerra. Cleto has been unimpressive in 2 years in the minors as a pitcher and Carrera is an outfielder who is going into his 4th year and has never been above A+ so no big loss with these two. ***

*** And forgot about Jason Vargas who has been unimpressive in the majors and really had no role with the team***

I agree. Also Putz is a nice trade chip to fix whatever situation we have now or during the season. While unlikely , we can still find someone else for the 8th inning and move Putz (who wants to close) for a nice SP or bat.

putz had a down year last year....but i'm reading that he was injured. hopefully that's cleared up. the guy has had a couple of monster years though...if he can get back even some of that we will make out well with this. anything has got to be better than heilman....i can't believe anyone even took that guy. at least i don't have to watch that moron walk out of the bullpen with a look on his face like he already gave up the game winning homer anymore. what a ***** that guy was.

putz had a down year last year....but i'm reading that he was injured. hopefully that's cleared up. the guy has had a couple of monster years though...if he can get back even some of that we will make out well with this. anything has got to be better than heilman....i can't believe anyone even took that guy. at least i don't have to watch that moron walk out of the bullpen with a look on his face like he already gave up the game winning homer anymore. what a ***** that guy was.

Im going to miss Heilman... I need someone to pick on. And Heilman was perfect.

O3MMW4OD.jpg

Good Job Omar. Putz and K-Rod in the 8th and 9th is as good as it gets, assuming Putz is healthy. Hate to see Endy go, he's a fan favorite and his glove will be missed.

Sounds like a good deal for us but I really liked Endy as well. Very good ballplayer.

Archived