Bill Callahan for OC?

Bergen Jet

What do you guys think about giving Bill Callahan a shot at OC?

The running game improved dramatically this season. The o-line play has been decent enough (granted the talent level was given a big boost). He has been a head coach at this level and has been to the post season and has won a couple of games there.

I do not think the front office is going to fire Mangini so maybe we approach fixing the CS problems by looking at some new coordinators.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a possibility. Also don't be surprised if Mangini considers Daboll for the position. When the Jets brought him over from NE, it was talked about how Daboll came because he felt there was room for future growth and there was even talk that if B-Schottz got a HC gig (HA!) he was likely the heir apparent.

I don't know if I would hand the keys to the entire kingdom (the HC gig) to Callahan but I really think he is more than ready to take the reigns as the OC. Callahan and Westhoff should be retained IMO and take it from there.

I agree, although I'd feel OK with promoting Westoff to the HC gig. Dunno why just think he'd be good for it his personality... but dont' know if his health is up to it.

I don't know if I would hand the keys to the entire kingdom (the HC gig) to Callahan but I really think he is more than ready to take the reigns as the OC. Callahan and Westhoff should be retained IMO and take it from there.

If the Jets dump Mangini then I actually like the approach they took when they brought in Mangini. You fire the HC, but keep the staff under contract. When you hire your new HC, allow him to fire or retain coaches as he sees fit and then fill in the staff himself. While Mangini may not have made the best decisions in that regard, it afforded him the ability to keep some coaches he liked (most importantly, Westhoff).

I agree, although I'd feel OK with promoting Westoff to the HC gig. Dunno why just think he'd be good for it his personality... but dont' know if his health is up to it.

I was actually thinking that a few weeks ago. If his health wasn't such an issue, I would be in favor of giving Westhoff serious consideration as a HC. He knows his **** and his players absolutely love him.

If the Jets dump Mangini then I actually like the approach they took when they brought in Mangini. You fire the HC, but keep the staff under contract. When you hire your new HC, allow him to fire or retain coaches as he sees fit and then fill in the staff himself. While Mangini may not have made the best decisions in that regard, it afforded him the ability to keep some coaches he liked (most importantly, Westhoff).

That would be ideal as I would hate to lose Callahan or Westhoff.

• 1 year later...

Screw Callahan! You make it seem like hes doing a great job with the Oline! The Oline is one of our weakest links! We have no running game and horrendous pass protection!

When Schotty is calling the same first down running play more than 60% of the time what kind of results do you expect?

Archived