PFT says players wanted Gruden gone

NIGHT STALKER

A league source tells us that the decision of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to fire coach Jon Gruden came after ownership spent a couple of weeks collecting feedback from players regarding Gruden. Per the source, a lot of the veterans were providing unflattering feedback as to their boss. "He would say something to a player one day and the next do the total opposite," the source said. "When he would cut guys, he wasn't man enough to talk with them and guys thought that was cowardly." Those sentiments are consistent with things receiver Michael Clayton said in the wake of the move. "It's about showing more confidence in your players," Clayton said. "He was kind of a turncoat. He'd tell you one thing and then do something else." It's fairly safe to say that the Glazers also were collecting information from players -- and hearing good things -- about Raheem Morris, who reportedly has already been hired to replace Gruden. Otherwise, there's no way that Morris would have gotten the job so quickly.

profootballtalk.com

A league source tells us that the decision of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to fire coach Jon Gruden came after ownership spent a couple of weeks collecting feedback from players regarding Gruden. Per the source, a lot of the veterans were providing unflattering feedback as to their boss. "He would say something to a player one day and the next do the total opposite," the source said. "When he would cut guys, he wasn't man enough to talk with them and guys thought that was cowardly." Those sentiments are consistent with things receiver Michael Clayton said in the wake of the move. "It's about showing more confidence in your players," Clayton said. "He was kind of a turncoat. He'd tell you one thing and then do something else." It's fairly safe to say that the Glazers also were collecting information from players -- and hearing good things -- about Raheem Morris, who reportedly has already been hired to replace Gruden. Otherwise, there's no way that Morris would have gotten the job so quickly.

profootballtalk.com

This is my main argument against Gruden. He clearly has some people-issues. What kind of HC lets his relationship with his starting QB get to the point where the two of them do not talk, and lets it go on like that for weeks? And that's just the one situation that was public this year. Who knows how many there were behind the scenes? Clearly there was more than just that one.

This is my main argument against Gruden. He clearly has some people-issues. What kind of HC lets his relationship with his starting QB get to the point where the two of them do not talk, and lets it go on like that for weeks? And that's just the one situation that was public this year. Who knows how many there were behind the scenes? Clearly there was more than just that one.

My problem with gruden

he is supposely an Offensive guru yet his O's are like watching paint dry!!

My problem with gruden

he is supposely an Offensive guru yet his O's are like watching paint dry!!

And name the stellar talent he's had. Garbage QB's, garbage OL, garbage TE, a top-5 pick RB whose career was over before it really took off, a bust 1st-round WR who was also garbage after his rookie year, and a bunch of mid/late-round draft picks, and a bunch of 2nd-tier free agents.

I think people forget or simply ignore just how bad their OL was & how little he was given to work with once the roster started getting old.

With no QB, he revitalized the careers of McCardell & Galloway. Antonio Bryant looked like he belonged in a starting lineup for the first time in like...well...ever. I never saw any Jets fans wishing they had those guys. Or Griese. Or Simms. Or Gradkowski. Or Garcia as he's pushing 40 years old. Or Anthony Becht. Or Ken Dilger to wind down his career. Or Michael Pittman. Or an always-injured Mike Alstott. Or Earnest Graham. Or Alex Smith. Or BJ Askew (who somehow was a pro bowl alternate in Tampa). Or Ike Hilliard. Or draft busts like Maurice Stovall & the rest of them.

I don't think he's the greatest coach or anything. But he gets a lot less credit than he deserves because everyone makes the foolish and incorrect assumption that Tony Dungy would have won a superbowl with that 2002 team, or that anyone would have done well with the garbage draft picks & free agents he's had to work with since then.

And name the stellar talent he's had. Garbage QB's, garbage OL, garbage TE, a top-5 pick RB whose career was over before it really took off, a bust 1st-round WR who was also garbage after his rookie year, and a bunch of mid/late-round draft picks, and a bunch of 2nd-tier free agents.

I think people forget or simply ignore just how bad their OL was & how little he was given to work with once the roster started getting old.

With no QB, he revitalized the careers of McCardell & Galloway. Antonio Bryant looked like he belonged in a starting lineup for the first time in like...well...ever. I never saw any Jets fans wishing they had those guys. Or Griese. Or Simms. Or Gradkowski. Or Garcia as he's pushing 40 years old. Or Anthony Becht. Or Ken Dilger to wind down his career. Or Michael Pittman. Or an always-injured Mike Alstott. Or Earnest Graham. Or Alex Smith. Or BJ Askew (who somehow was a pro bowl alternate in Tampa). Or Ike Hilliard. Or draft busts like Maurice Stovall & the rest of them.

I don't think he's the greatest coach or anything. But he gets a lot less credit than he deserves because everyone makes the foolish and incorrect assumption that Tony Dungy would have won a superbowl with that 2002 team, or that anyone would have done well with the garbage draft picks & free agents he's had to work with since then.

Gruden is bringing in this talent right? and he is the one bringing in

12 qbs a year!

Gruden is bringing in this talent right? and he is the one bringing in

12 qbs a year!

What talent? The franchise gave away 4 first rounders and 3 second rounders for Keyshawn, Gruden, and a bust OT before he coached one game there. And the owner picked up nothing in free agency.

Like I said, players mostly seem to despise him, so far be it from me to weep over his situation.

Archived