Rex Ryan...where do you stand?

Jetlag

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate the choice, I wanted Spags, but Im giving him a chance.

If he can make our defense dominant, I will love him forever.

Damn, Bronzey, stick to your guns.

Join 124 in the faction that this is an EPIC FAIL in the making.

2. Rex Ryan will get us to the playoffs and be a hero in 2009

If that happens the question is will the fans fall in love with him as much as they fell in love with Mangini?

Heck, it seems already half the fan base already is making him out to be Bill Belichick.

Imagine if we made the postseason at 10-6 or 11-5 next year?

Hopefully those fans don't get the big heads we all got after 2006, the big heads Miami fans now have and soon won't have.

Join 124 in the faction that this is an EPIC FAIL in the making.

I will say the Defensive players in Baltimore really did like him, but I just don't see how its going to work out. I'm not optimistic. I don't think he'll make a good Head Coach. I think he is what he is, a fantastic 34 Defensive Coordinator and thats that.

We'll see.

I would have preferred someone with experience who had already been there; but since none of the ones I wanted were real options or didn't want the job, I'm satisfied with Ryan. Once it came down to the final three, I'm glad it was either Ryan or Spags instead of Schotty Jr.

that is how they will be remembered as coaches in this league. A guy that has Ray Ray, Ed reed, Ngata, Suggs ect doesn't have to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Just has to send out the troops to do thier work

This is what I just don't get. How can you hold the talent the guy has against him?

What would you like him to do with that talent?

This is what I just don't get. How can you hold the talent the guy has against him?

What would you like him to do with that talent?

What's sad is that if the talent excels, the coach has done his job. When you can't get talent to excel, the coach has failed.

For an example see: 2008 Jets.

I am totally in favor. No old tired retreads, a guy that is aggressive, creative and really wants to be here. I've heard nothing but good things about this guy. Will he succeed, who knows? We shoud all be rooting like hell for him to become a HOF coach though.

Wow. Sounds just like Eric Mangini three years ago.

No it doesn't sound anything like Mangini.

Mangini was hired for one reason, and one reason alone. He was from the Belichick tree.

His hiring had absolutely nothing to do with his abilities or experience... We all knew this then, we just chose to ignore it in favor of the idea that he would know everything about the Pats and therefore be able to defeat them. Mangini was nothing more than a reactionary hire. Can he still turn out to be a good HC? Maybe... But he was not hired for any other reason than his connection to Belichick.

Just listening to an interview on the radio with a guy who was on the Ravens, RR was his position coach and now he calls games. He has said lots of interesting things.

- Will motivate guys

- Loves to put his players in the best "position" for them to succeed. He tries to maximize their strengths.

- Said "players would jump on grenades for him." Just the consummate players coach who makes every week fun.

- Says Mike Pettine(sp?) is an extension of Rex, his protege. He's sure that Rex will have some ideas on defense but trusts his "people". He's not a micromanager, he'll let his coaches coach.

Anyways, this guy said he is friends with Mangini so this is just his opinions, but interesting food for though.

One of the last things he said was "I wouldn't be surprised if Ray Ray ended up with you guys."

Lets see Dom, maybe I can make it simple for you:

Mangini: Belichick's staff

Herm: Tampa 2 / Dungy's staff

Not too hard to think why I'd be confident in them.

Charley Winner was on Weeb's staff. There is a big difference between "being on a staff" and being a good coach. Neither of those guys were good coaches prior to coming over. Ryan has been a good coach. The question is how he will transition to head coach.

Charley Winner was on Weeb's staff. There is a big difference between "being on a staff" and being a good coach. Neither of those guys were good coaches prior to coming over. Ryan has been a good coach. The question is how he will transition to head coach.

how do you quantify that neither of these guys were good coaches before comeing to the Jets.....

I mean, now we have extensive reports on how these guys did as position coaches?

If they weren't good coaches, why did they get promoted? Why do they have careers?

how do you quantify that neither of these guys were good coaches before comeing to the Jets.....

I mean, now we have extensive reports on how these guys did as position coaches?

If they weren't good coaches, why did they get promoted? Why do they have careers?

Your right, I mispoke (wrote). I don't mean they weren't good coaches, but they had not proven to be good coaches. Neither was as much as a successful coordinator. Between the two of them they had one rather unsuccessul year as a DC. Herm was a DB coach and some sort of Assistant Head Coach, while Kiffin ran the D. As far as proving something, Rex Ryan is considerably more qualified than Herm or Mangini

OTOH, they may well both be ****ty coaches and get promoted. We all know terrible coaches that keep finding jobs and are often promoted. More often then not the system promotes people. Teams take coaches from successful teams and promote them. That would concern me a lot more if it weren't for the Buddy Ryan pedigree.

You know where I stand, an hour before his first press conference? I think he's going to be a good Defensive coach for us, make our D very good, but I'm uncertain on how he'll coach an entire team. There are bad signs, there are good signs. I'm 50/50 on Ryan, but the more and more I think about it, I'm starting to like him, but I expect him to be a failure because this is the New York Jets and we've never found our diamond in the rough.

Go Rex!

Go Jets!

You know where I stand, an hour before his first press conference? I think he's going to be a good Defensive coach for us, make our D very good, but I'm uncertain on how he'll coach an entire team. There are bad signs, there are good signs. I'm 50/50 on Ryan, but the more and more I think about it, I'm starting to like him, but I expect him to be a failure because this is the New York Jets and we've never found our diamond in the rough.

Go Rex!

Go Jets!

Not true. We have found them. And screwed it up anyway. I think you forget BB was on the staff for 3 years and was HC for a day...and then he took the Pats* to four superbowls after that.

Since the goal is the superbowl and not one-and-done in the playoffs, I look at going with Ryan over someone like Marty as the same as going with Favre (or anyone) over Pennington.

Not true. We have found them. And screwed it up anyway. I think you forget BB was on the staff for 3 years and was HC for a day...and then he took the Pats* to four superbowls after that.

Since the goal is the superbowl and not one-and-done in the playoffs, I look at going with Ryan over someone like Marty as the same as going with Favre (or anyone) over Pennington.

There is no guarentee that we would've gotten New England Belichick, we could've very well have gotten Cleveland Belichick.

Archived