What about Eric Ainge?

GandWFan

The reason to be optimistic is because 124 says he's awful. This means three things are possible: 1) Ainge will not be a bust, 2) Ainge will be a HOF QB, and 3) Ainge will go to a couple of superbowls in his first 5 years as a starter.

fingers crossed :)

Ratcliff baby...I beileve.

Yeah, RatCliff, he's good. Ratliff, not so much. He looked good against third stringers, is that why you believe? You sound religious, blind faith based on pseudo miraculous occurrences under "controlled" conditions (his bombs to Clowney against guys now in the Dyker Park League)

He might turn out great, but seeing is believing and I think that the competition for the starting QB spot (if Favre retires) will be, at the very least, entertaining, which is really the point of watching every Sunday anyway, isn't it?

I would like to see Clemens get another crack at starting, that is what I'm rooting for. I don't think the 2007 season was fair proving ground.

You know, ToonTime, you remind me of this other Toon...

He was still 21 years old when the Jets drafted him. How many QB's don't suck at the NFL level at that age?

He may continue to suck. Going strictly by the odds, he probably will. But he's still a very young kid.

I agree. I know nothing about him. I read he had an average arm. Saw him in one pre season game against some nobodies. I thought he showed a pretty good arm, looked calm, and did okay, considering. What I mean is, there is something there. Who knows what or how much? How good was Brady in college? Cassel? How crappy a coach is Phil Fullmer? I cannot see how people just condemn a 6'6" QB with a better than average arm without so much as a trial.

I don't condemn the guy, I just don't see why people on these boards paid so much attention to him when he was drafted and why they think he has a realistic chance to be our starter.

When you are taken on the fifth round, they might keep you the first year-it's not unheard of for fifth round draftees to get cut-but by the second year you had better show them something or you are gone.

He didn't get a chance to show much, true. But it is the lot of the low round draft choice and undrafted free agent to somehow make their own opportunities, to find some way to shine so that they notice you. Otherwise, in a year or two you will be replaced by some other unknown who somehow has caught their eye. Ainge hasn't done that yet.

Right now it is up in the air if Ainge is even on the team in 2009, let alone the starter. Maybe he'll step up and show us something, but I just can't see him as being in the mix to start unless he suddenly blossoms.

I don't condemn the guy, I just don't see why people on these boards paid so much attention to him when he was drafted and why they think he has a realistic chance to be our starter.

When you are taken on the fifth round, they might keep you the first year-it's not unheard of for fifth round draftees to get cut-but by the second year you had better show them something or you are gone.

He didn't get a chance to show much, true. But it is the lot of the low round draft choice and undrafted free agent to somehow make their own opportunities, to find some way to shine so that they notice you. Otherwise, in a year or two you will be replaced by some other unknown who somehow has caught their eye. Ainge hasn't done that yet.

Right now it is up in the air if Ainge is even on the team in 2009, let alone the starter. Maybe he'll step up and show us something, but I just can't see him as being in the mix to start unless he suddenly blossoms.

It is unlikely. There are some things to keep in mind in his situation:

1) he had surgery on his throwing hand & got a late start as a result.

2) he was starting out 4th on the depth chart & within a month of throwing again the team's focus shifted to getting Brett Favre acclimated with the offense.

3) the team could have cut him outright before the season and chose not to, even though there were 3 other QB's on the team.

All of this may mean nothing. If he sucks, then he sucks. Teams have retained lots of players at lots of positions and they sucked as well.

People pay more attention to him than other backup/depth type guys for the obvious reason: our QB position (kind of an important position) is unsettled at this time. The only one on the roster with a full season of starting at the NFL level is Favre, and the only things we've heard is that he's leaning towards retirement (lol) and the team is proceeding as though they expect him not to return.

So it's not like talking up some late 5th-rounder (who hasn't played yet) when we already have Peyton Manning entrenched here.

good post Joe...the thing is we have some pretty good players and as Baltimore showed this year you can get by with a not great QB...hell had Clemens played those last 5 games we would have been IN the playoffs this past year...I agree with Joe124 in that I will be OK with Kellen Clemens starting

we won'

If Kellen Clemens starts,he won't finish. If he finishes we won't be a playoff team.

Yeah, RatCliff, he's good. Ratliff, not so much. He looked good against third stringers, is that why you believe? .

we keep hearing that. He played great against 11 guys who were equal in talent to his 11 guys. If a guy plays great he plays great. period.

When a kid plays great in college, as Ratliff did in preseason they are playing against guys that most likely won't be in the NFL, but nobody say, "oh, he was only playing college kids", no, they say "we gotta draft that kid."

He showed poise, accuracy and good decision making with third(and second) stringers against the other teams third(and seconds). Clemens stunk against all three 3rd,2nd and 1st.

Im pretty sure the word on him was that he didn't have a great arm...I dunno the kid was already hurt a lot last year and he didn't even play.

Didn't he also get suspended for steroids too? Not a great start.

Fishooked, He got suspended for 2 games because he took prescribed steroids to correct a muscle issue as a result of the injury.

It was a technical suspension that the Jets talked him into taking. They put him on the active roster for the last 2 games of the season, which basically scrubbed the suspenison.

He has a great arm, at least he did at training camp last summer & I would not be surprised that he becomes our #3 next year. He needs a little more seasoning...

Archived