What about Eric Ainge?

GandWFan

he is tall (6'6"), they say he has an NFL arm... Could he be "the one"? I think the knock on him coming out of Tennesse was that he was inconsistent, but he did play in the SEC, against good defenses.

A question for those who follow SEC and/or Tennesse Vols... does he have "it"? Is he accurate? quick release? good decisions? can drive the ball outside the numbers?

Im pretty sure the word on him was that he didn't have a great arm...I dunno the kid was already hurt a lot last year and he didn't even play.

Didn't he also get suspended for steroids too? Not a great start.

yeah, he didn't play much, had a broken pinkie finger and got busted for steriods about halfway through the season, after he was on IR I think.

he is kind of thin at 220, so maybe the roids thing shows he is trying... :rolleyes:

Anyway, that is why I was asking about his college career.

I really can't possibly see how we are "all set" with Ainge, Clemens, and Ratcliff as our QB options at all. QB is a HUGE issue for this team if Favre doesn't return. Hell, it's an issue even if he does return.

Ratcliff, like the harry potter boy?

Im pretty sure the word on him was that he didn't have a great arm...I dunno the kid was already hurt a lot last year and he didn't even play.

He wasn't as much hurt as the FO was trying to find a creative way to keep him on the team.

The Jets had Favre, Clemens, and Ratliff who were making the team. They couldn't put Ainge on the practice squad because another team would have snatched him up.

So, they carried 4 QBs for a couple of weeks until they could find a reason to put Ainge on IR, which they did.

I really can't possibly see how we are "all set" with Ainge, Clemens, and Ratcliff as our QB options at all. QB is a HUGE issue for this team if Favre doesn't return. Hell, it's an issue even if he does return.

I think with a stronger defense that ryan will hopefully implement, an impact wr from fa/trade/draft, and maybe a late round flyer pick on defense that pans out decently, we will be fine with Favre for the year. Before our defense collapsed last year we were doing fine when we were always working with leads, I think our defense was really only hitting about 80% of its potential due to bad coaching/planning and I am hopeful Ryan gets them to play at their potential. Guys who most would agree did not play up to expectation for an entire season rhodes/harris/pace/jenkins/gholston were for one reason or another not the guy they should have been (although in jenkins who was a beast most of the year and harris it was due to injuries) and if ryan figures out how to use those guys we could be a top flight feared defense. It is part wishful thinking, but at one time or another last season all those guys showed what they are capable of.

good post Joe...the thing is we have some pretty good players and as Baltimore showed this year you can get by with a not great QB...hell had Clemens played those last 5 games we would have been IN the playoffs this past year...I agree with Joe124 in that I will be OK with Kellen Clemens starting

QB is definately the biggest question mark on this team.

I would not dismiss the notion of Clemens, Ratliff, or Ainge being the 2009 starter, however. The thing is, if Schotty remains, these 3 would be in another year in the system. All 3 will participate fully in the offseason conditioning program and OTAs.

Any one of these three could show up at training camp significantly better than he did last year. It's happened in the past with other QBs and other players throughout the league.

So I would not write any of the three off. They have their NFL future in their hands now. I have not heard anything about either of the 3 being lazy, so I'd think that they would work diligently in the offseason. Clemens and Ratliff most certainly would because it's in their financial best interest (Clemens will be a UFA) and Ratliff a RFA.

The bottom line is that we should not be dismissive of the three because if they're financially smart, they'd use this offseason to make themselves better football players.

I really don't see how anybody mentions Ainge as a possibility at starting QB. He was selected in the fifth round-so even the Jets can't have been that high on him. Didn't get a chance to show anything in preseason. He is at the point that he has to show something this year or be dropped from the team.

If he shows something fine, but is he even worth discussing? Good luck to the guy, hope he surprises us, but obviously the Jets aren't counting on him for anything.

I really don't see how anybody mentions Ainge as a possibility at starting QB. He was selected in the fifth round-so even the Jets can't have been that high on him. Didn't get a chance to show anything in preseason. He is at the point that he has to show something this year or be dropped from the team.

If he shows something fine, but is he even worth discussing? Good luck to the guy, hope he surprises us, but obviously the Jets aren't counting on him for anything.

Anybody with QB experience is a possibility. Is that sad? Yes. Yes it is.

I'm not saying I support Ainge, or think he's a franchise QB, or even a competent starter.

But this is a fact: Erik Ainge put up better numbers than Matt Ryan in 2007, and in the SEC no less. You can look it up.

Just food for thought.

I looked it up.

Ryan: 4507 yards, 31 TD, 19 INT

Ainge: 3522 yards, 31 TD, 10 INT

Can you name a WR or RB that played for BC in 2007? I can't and I watch most of their games.

If Ainge gets into a three-way contest with Clemens and Ratliff and wins the job, more power to him.

On the other hand, there is an excellent chance that if Favre retires they bring in another vet and Ainge gets cut. He is at least as close to getting cut from the team as he is to starting or even being number two.

I looked it up.

Ryan: 4507 yards, 31 TD, 19 INT

Ainge: 3522 yards, 31 TD, 10 INT

Can you name a WR or RB that played for BC in 2007? I can't and I watch most of their games.

Can you name a WR or RB that played for Tennessee in 2007?

I like Ainge. He has a great pedigree. Four year starter at an SEC school. I'd say he deserves as much of a crack at the starting job as Clemens or Ratliff.

The steroids really don't bother me since I think he was using them to help speed his rehab from injury. To me that's OK. It's not as if he's Hulk Hogan. What does worry me about him is his lack of a really strong arm. Hopefully new HC Rex will leave the 3 roster QB's (I'm assuming Favre will be gone ) battle it out to determine the starter.

The steroids really don't bother me since I think he was using them to help speed his rehab from injury. To me that's OK. It's not as if he's Hulk Hogan. What does worry me about him is his lack of a really strong arm. Hopefully new HC Rex will leave the 3 roster QB's (I'm assuming Favre will be gone ) battle it out to determine the starter.

Never say a bad word about Rodney Harrison ever again!

Ainge is GARBAGE. He was GARBAGE in every single big game he ever played.

I'll be honest & say I didn't watch the game. But in his last bowl game, it seems he threw for a couple hundred yards and a couple of touchdowns to a bunch of nobodies while his backs gave him no help at all in the running game and Tennessee's defense let Wisconsin's RBs run all over them, eat up the clock, and keep their own defense fresh.

But that's only reading it on paper. I didn't see the game.

I'll be honest & say I didn't watch the game. But in his last bowl game, it seems he threw for a couple hundred yards and a couple of touchdowns to a bunch of nobodies while his backs gave him no help at all in the running game and Tennessee's defense let Wisconsin's RBs run all over them, eat up the clock, and keep their own defense fresh.

But that's only reading it on paper. I didn't see the game.

Living down here and watching a lot of his games, he was notorious for throwing picks when the game was on the line and in big games. Most SEC fans will back this up.

Living down here and watching a lot of his games, he was notorious for throwing picks when the game was on the line and in big games. Most SEC fans will back this up.

I'm not doubting it, and he may be the worst QB to ever get drafted in NFL history.

But I don't know who any of his WR's were in 2007. I don't think any got drafted last year nor are any expected to get drafted this year. Not even in the later rounds. Brad Cottam got drafted late by KC in 2008, but he appears to have done little other than nurse injuries during the '07 season & didn't even suit up for the first 9 games.

It's a lot easier to look good when you have good receivers getting open with relative ease. That goes for any QB.

From the looks of it, imagine the Jets WR corps without Coles & Cotchery. Then try to find fault with the QB for throwing 31 TD's & 10 picks in 14 games. Hell, he's still only 22 years old.

I havnt seen much from Ainge, but I would like to see him in training camp , he didnt do too well last year and Ratliff beat both him and Kellen out in preseason IMO.

He was still 21 years old when the Jets drafted him. How many QB's don't suck at the NFL level at that age?

He may continue to suck. Going strictly by the odds, he probably will. But he's still a very young kid.

He was still 21 years old when the Jets drafted him. How many QB's don't suck at the NFL level at that age?

He may continue to suck. Going strictly by the odds, he probably will. But he's still a very young kid.

that is expected , rookies almost always take time to acclimate to the pro game. We will see how he looks when camp opens.

that is expected , rookies almost always take time to acclimate to the pro game. We will see how he looks when camp opens.

The reason to be optimistic is because 124 says he's awful. This means three things are possible: 1) Ainge will not be a bust, 2) Ainge will be a HOF QB, and 3) Ainge will go to a couple of superbowls in his first 5 years as a starter.

Archived