Freddy Garcia signs w/ the Mets

Morrissey

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2009/01/garcia-lands-with-mets.html

Garcia lands with Mets

January 22, 2009

Freddy Garcia is a Met. The righthander agreed to a minor-league deal with the Mets tonight, the Daily News has learned. It's believed he can earn as much as $8 million to $9 million if he makes the team and reaches all of his incentives.

well....they still need to get someone who is a lock for the rotation..getting guys like Redding and Garcia is just not the answer for a team with the Mets resources.

They should not be one of these teams who try and put together a rotation with spit and bubblegum.

well....they still need to get someone who is a lock for the rotation..getting guys like Redding and Garcia is just not the answer for a team with the Mets resources.

They should not be one of these teams who try and put together a rotation with spit and bubblegum.

cheap c0cksucking ownership and GM. Instead of getting the best players, lets go and hope someone pans out and we look like geniuses.

F#ck Omar and the Mets. I hope we suck this year.

No you don't, you're just speaking out on anger, just like I did in the Orlando Magic thread... lol

Secretly I hope they suck so they clean house of all their "stars" who choke when it comes to clutch time and get rid of the FO staff and get someone competent in the GM chair.

I will root for them to do well, but I know they will once again fall way short of expectations. And I'd rather have a disaster of a season than miss the f#cking playoffs by 1 god damn game.

Correct but after CC left the market there is no one who should be overpaid for. Omar has been very good at sticking to that this off season and Santana-Pelf-Maine is a good start to the rotation.

Adding a Sheets or bringing back Perez makes it a pretty good one with nice competition for the 5th spot in Redding/Garcia/Neise. Guys like Wolf, Garland, Perez and Sheets are still out there so there was zero reason to overpay for Wolf by one nickel. Lowe was a insane deal by by the Braves as was Burnett with the Yanks IMO. The Yanks were in on Garcia as well.

Would love a healthy Sheets but Perez or Garland would be fine as well.

The Mets really should look into getting someone like those 3. Those are 3 pretty good pitchers. Garland is a guy who will give you 200 innings every year, so he'd be useful for them. Perez is also pretty good, but the only time I usually watch him is against the Yankees, and with the way he pitches, you'd think it was Pedro Martinez in his prime, pitching.

Sheets is the best out of the three, and if he's healthy, and for the rumored 8 million, it's a steal.

Correct but after CC left the market there is no one who should be overpaid for. Omar has been very good at sticking to that this off season and Santana-Pelf-Maine is a good start to the rotation.

Adding a Sheets or bringing back Perez makes it a pretty good one with nice competition for the 5th spot in Redding/Garcia/Neise. Guys like Wolf, Garland, Perez and Sheets are still out there so there was zero reason to overpay for Wolf by one nickel. Lowe was a insane deal by by the Braves as was Burnett with the Yanks IMO. The Yanks were in on Garcia as well.

I like Grland for the Mets as well...

obviously there are some overpriced contracts..but this is the Mets not the Twins...they can afford a little more than the next guy.

They should be a team that outbids, not one that gets outbid.

Granted, maybe no one really floated their boat but this could also be a message to free agents in the future..the Mets underpay.

I like Grland for the Mets as well...

obviously there are some overpriced contracts..but this is the Mets not the Twins...they can afford a little more than the next guy.

They should be a team that outbids, not one that gets outbid.

Granted, maybe no one really floated their boat but this could also be a message to free agents in the future..the Mets underpay.

Ehhh...after CC and you could argue Burnett I guess, who should they outbid which is another word for overpay someone for? I'd say Sheets and Perez but both come with questions of either injury or inconsistency. They hopefully are doing their homework on Sheets health and will make the right decision on him. He would make us fairly nasty SP wise if healthy.

Ehhh...after CC and you could argue Burnett I guess, who should they outbid which is another word for overpay someone for? I'd say Sheets and Perez but both come with questions of either injury or inconsistency. They hopefully are doing their homework on Sheets health and will make the right decision on him. He would make us fairly nasty SP wise if healthy.

well, again I am not speaking about this specific crop of free agents, but the Mets seem to be very timid...

I think it is all Mo Vaughns vault....did I spell that right?

I mean, they have excuses for not signing everyone....remeber the Vlad fiasco..

I just think the exist in one market and practice like they are in a different one.

The Mets could have offered Lowe a contract good enough that the Braves may never have been involved, or if they were you could say that The Mets made their best offer.

To me they didn't. Maybe they didn't want Lowe, to me a three year deal with an option for a fourth for better money than they offered may have gotten the job done. If not at least they could say they put out their best offer and were turned down. I don't think they can do that right now.

well, again I am not speaking about this specific crop of free agents, but the Mets seem to be very timid...

I think it is all Mo Vaughns vault....did I spell that right?

I mean, they have excuses for not signing everyone....remeber the Vlad fiasco..

I just think the exist in one market and practice like they are in a different one.

The Mets could have offered Lowe a contract good enough that the Braves may never have been involved, or if they were you could say that The Mets made their best offer.

To me they didn't. Maybe they didn't want Lowe, to me a three year deal with an option for a fourth for better money than they offered may have gotten the job done. If not at least they could say they put out their best offer and were turned down. I don't think they can do that right now.

The Castillo contract was spending the way you'd like? That one may have them gun shy but let's see what the final product looks like before giving them a D for not wanting to have Derek Lowe still on their team at 38 or 39 yrs old at big money.

My gut says we will add a pitcher and a Outfielder.

The Castillo contract was spending the way you'd like? That one may have them gun shy but let's see what the final product looks like before giving them a D for not wanting to have Derek Lowe still on their team at 38 or 39 yrs old at big money.

My gut says we will add a pitcher and a Outfielder.

there is a difference between dumb overspending and smart overspending...

Pedro was smart over-paying..

Kaz Matsui was panic-induced over-paying...

You have to have a long term plan....will Lowe have paid off in the first two or three years and will your staff be capable of carrying a less effective 39 yr old Lowe...signings can't be done in a vacuum....again...my issue is the Mets lack of aggression in free agency.

I'm always a huge fan of these types of contarcts. Give a guy a shot who, if he performs to the best of his ability it will be far beyond the value of the contract and if he gets hurt again or craps out you're not on the hook for a ton of money. Kind of like what I'd love to see the Yanks do with Sheets. Short incentive laden deal is the way to go.

there is a difference between dumb overspending and smart overspending...

Pedro was smart over-paying..

Kaz Matsui was panic-induced over-paying...

You have to have a long term plan....will Lowe have paid off in the first two or three years and will your staff be capable of carrying a less effective 39 yr old Lowe...signings can't be done in a vacuum....again...my issue is the Mets lack of aggression in free agency.

Again, Lowe at a advanced age is not worth that contract......see Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Roger Roids etc. Sure he could be good this year and next but with the fairly young studs the Mets have already in their rotation there is no need to overpay for a Derek Lowe when there are similiar type pitchers still on the market. Anyone would certainly rather role the dice on Perez or Sheets for 3 or 4 years as opposed to Derek Lowe.

As for Matsui, there was no panic in that signing. He was highly rated by all of MLB at the time and in fact would have been a Yankee if Jeter had agreed to move off of SS.

As for lack of agression, who exactly are you basing this stance on? I certainly hope it's not Derek Lowe. Omar played the KRod derby brilliantly and adding Putz was also brilliant. Once the SP situation is resolved and if done correctly by Omar, what's to say he hasn't smartly kept payroll low enough to bring a Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreu or Manny offer to ownership?

It's January and other than Manny who comes with heavy baggage there are a host of players who do not vary much in terms of talent in the two areas the Mets coulk use improvement, SP and a bat. Knowing that there are multiple options left out there at these positions as there was with the Closer position is allowing Omar not to overspend. Agressiveness is not always a positive....let's see what the final product looks like before handing out off season grades.

The Yanks last minute signing of Tex should have proved to you that you should not believe everything you read in the media concerning what a teams actual gameplan is.

Probably would've been better off with Penny than either Redding or Garcia. But these aren't abd moves. Figure you can get 60-65 starts out of these 2 at the bottom of the rotation. With the improvements in the bullpen, their staff is much better than last year.

Problem is still the lineup. Reyes dissappears at key points, Delgado is a year older. It might only be a short term fix(and an expensive one) but if the Mets are going to win anything they need Ramirez.

I'm always a huge fan of these types of contarcts. Give a guy a shot who, if he performs to the best of his ability it will be far beyond the value of the contract and if he gets hurt again or craps out you're not on the hook for a ton of money. Kind of like what I'd love to see the Yanks do with Sheets. Short incentive laden deal is the way to go.

It's exactly what the Red Sox have done this offseason. It's kind of like the "shotgun" method of doing things. Shoot and hope it hits something. Only this way, spend a little and hope it brings a greater value.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/43401

Why Garcia chose Mets over Yanks

Posted by: Jon Heyman09:16 AM ET

Veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia chose the Mets over the Yankees because he felt it gave him the best opportunity to pitch, as the Mets still have not filled their final starting job. Even if the Mets sign one more starting pitcher, Garcia could still have a chance to make the starting rotation since the recently-signed Tim Redding has the versatility to pitch out of the bullpen.

While the Yankees still would appear to have one final unsettled spot in the rotation, as well, there's still a chance longtime Yankee Andy Pettitte could reverse course and grab that job, and Garcia apparently wondered about that possibility. The Mets are still trying to sign a starter, and are focusing mostly on their own free agent Oliver Perez, but there's no certainty they will be able to secure him. And even if Perez does re-sign with the Mets, Redding, who has a guaranteed $2.25-million contract (plus incentives), has the ability to pitch out of the bullpen.

There was no immediate word on the exact details of Garcia's contract but indications are that if he fulfills his incentives, it would exceed the $6.8 million Carl Pavano could make with Cleveland. Garcia, who is 118-77 lifetime and was 1-1 with a 4.20 ERA after returning for Detroit last year, has had a few fits and starts while returning after shoulder surgery, but is said by people close to him to be healthy now.

Brian Cashman is white. Omar is not.

:D

I don't really buy this Omar/Latino players theory.

Mets after all recently traded for J.J Putz, Jeremy Reed and Sean Green, they also signed Tim Redding and Casey Fossum. Last year he traded for Ryan Church, and Brian Schneider,and before the 2006 season he traded for John Maine and signed Billy Wagner.

cheap c0cksucking ownership and GM. Instead of getting the best players, lets go and hope someone pans out and we look like geniuses.

Relax and take a deep breath. If Garcia is the signing instead of Sheets or Perez or someone to that extend, then we have an issue and can curse them out. The thing is, this was a not risk move, if he doesn't pan out he's not being paid much as his contract is incentive ladened. You can never have enough pitching, and besides Garcia has been a pretty good pitcher in his career.

don't worry we WILL suck this year. meanwhile the phillies and yankees will be back in the play-offs.

Again, Lowe at a advanced age is not worth that contract......see Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Roger Roids etc. Sure he could be good this year and next but with the fairly young studs the Mets have already in their rotation there is no need to overpay for a Derek Lowe when there are similiar type pitchers still on the market. Anyone would certainly rather role the dice on Perez or Sheets for 3 or 4 years as opposed to Derek Lowe.

As for Matsui, there was no panic in that signing. He was highly rated by all of MLB at the time and in fact would have been a Yankee if Jeter had agreed to move off of SS.

As for lack of agression, who exactly are you basing this stance on? I certainly hope it's not Derek Lowe. Omar played the KRod derby brilliantly and adding Putz was also brilliant. Once the SP situation is resolved and if done correctly by Omar, what's to say he hasn't smartly kept payroll low enough to bring a Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreu or Manny offer to ownership?

It's January and other than Manny who comes with heavy baggage there are a host of players who do not vary much in terms of talent in the two areas the Mets coulk use improvement, SP and a bat. Knowing that there are multiple options left out there at these positions as there was with the Closer position is allowing Omar not to overspend. Agressiveness is not always a positive....let's see what the final product looks like before handing out off season grades.

The Yanks last minute signing of Tex should have proved to you that you should not believe everything you read in the media concerning what a teams actual gameplan is.

Kaz MAtsui wasn't a panic move...that was in direct response to the criticism they were getting over the Vlad deal and living in the shadow of the Yankees..the ides to move Reyes was easily one of the top ten dumb moves by the Mets during their existence.

Again, I am talking about players they have passed on, not rumors, but actual signings.

If they weren't so lefty heavy they could get Abreu who would be great for them, but they need a righty.

Again....show me where the Mets have ever shown aggression during free agency.....

I don't really buy this Omar/Latino players theory.

Mets after all recently traded for J.J Putz, Jeremy Reed and Sean Green, they also signed Tim Redding and Casey Fossum. Last year he traded for Ryan Church, and Brian Schneider,and before the 2006 season he traded for John Maine and signed Billy Wagner.

Mets had the highest % of latin players on their roster last year. In all of baseball.

Whether people want to buy it or not, the #'s paint a picture.

Relax and take a deep breath. If Garcia is the signing instead of Sheets or Perez or someone to that extend, then we have an issue and can curse them out. The thing is, this was a not risk move, if he doesn't pan out he's not being paid much as his contract is incentive ladened. You can never have enough pitching, and besides Garcia has been a pretty good pitcher in his career.

Im just getting sick and tired of getting guys and hoping they work out.

There is no reason we should be happy with Ollie or Sheets, but thats what our great GM has stuck us with.

We're a big market team. Time to start spending it, and not just on a few players. I want an All-star team at every position like the team in the Bronx. Im sick and tired of having 4-5 good players and a lot of hope and prayers.

don't worry we WILL suck this year. meanwhile the phillies and yankees will be back in the play-offs.

Im not too sure of the Phillies. They give up Burrell as a FA for Ibanez who is just as awful as a fielder and similar #'s, older, and cost the Phillies a #1 draft pick. Their new GM aint exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

But they should have enough talent to get them to the playoffs if Charlie Manuel doesnt f#ck them up like he does every year.

Im not too sure of the Phillies. They give up Burrell as a FA for Ibanez who is just as awful as a fielder and similar #'s, older, and cost the Phillies a #1 draft pick. Their new GM aint exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

But they should have enough talent to get them to the playoffs if Charlie Manuel doesnt f#ck them up like he does every year.

Didn't Manuel just win a WS:confused:

Kaz MAtsui wasn't a panic move...that was in direct response to the criticism they were getting over the Vlad deal and living in the shadow of the Yankees..the ides to move Reyes was easily one of the top ten dumb moves by the Mets during their existence.

Again, I am talking about players they have passed on, not rumors, but actual signings.

If they weren't so lefty heavy they could get Abreu who would be great for them, but they need a righty.

Again....show me where the Mets have ever shown aggression during free agency.....

I dunno.....Pedro, Wagner, Glavine, Robin Ventura, Mo Vaughn, Robbie Alomar, KRod, Beltran. They made great trades for Delgado and Johan who BTW was basically a FA as he required a huge contract to seal the trade.

Let's see how they finish this off season.

BTW what exactly has the team in the Bronx won since going with the All-Star at every position theory as another poster so desperately wants?

I dunno.....Pedro, Wagner, Glavine, Robin Ventura, Mo Vaughn, Robbie Alomar, KRod, Beltran. They made great trades for Delgado and Johan who BTW was basically a FA as he required a huge contract to seal the trade.

Let's see how they finish this off season.

BTW what exactly has the team in the Bronx won since going with the All-Star at every position theory as another poster so desperately wants?

And what have we won in 22 years? Nothing.

I guess you missed last seasons Santana contract.:rolleyes:

Dont be so sensitive METS fan:D...Santana was last year.

Good luck winning the penant with your fizzling offense in your ridiculously undersized ballpark. Y'all shouldve sign Manny.

Archived