Top 10 Jets Assets

Jetlag

Nobody has mentioned Sheppard?

We just traded multiple picks for him including what will likely be a 2nd rounder next year.

We traded a single fifth rounder that we get back when give a higher pick (2-4) next year. One pick total. Likely a third next year.

Lito has a lot to prove after falling out of favor in Philly. I'm hoping he's decent as a #2. He's going to have a lot of balls thrown his way.

We traded a single fifth rounder that we get back when give a higher pick (2-4) next year. One pick total. Likely a third next year.

Lito has a lot to prove after falling out of favor in Philly. I'm hoping he's decent as a #2. He's going to have a lot of balls thrown his way.

I was under the impression that he only needs to play in 33% of defensive plays to make it a 2nd rounder. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He's a two time pro bowler in the prime of his career.

If it ends up being a 2nd rounder next year, that's more than we've given up for any player while Tanny has been in charge including Jenkins.

man you homers who think our o-line is elite are something else. our o-line is above-average....nothing else.

I can agree that the o-line is overrated on the board, but they are still some of our top assets. When you look at people you want you look for 3 things: 1. good. 2. young 3. signed cheap/long term.

Who on the Jets fits that criteria? Revis. Harris. Maybe Rhodes. On O you have Keller, Leon (in his walk year) Cotchery (not sure how much he got on that extension) Mangold and D'Brick.

Based on the contracts some of these players are carrying there may be borderline useless guys (Lowery, Stuckey, Clowney) that have more value in a trade.

Nobody has mentioned Sheppard?

We just traded multiple picks for him including what will likely be a 2nd rounder next year.

If Sheppard were such an "asset" other teams would have made that deal. The Jets made the trade and gave him a new deal. Philly took a guaranteed fifth and maybe something else. At most a 2nd next year. That means the guy is worth (at most) a third in '10. The Jets gave Faneca more money than anybody else would have. Ditto Scott. Maybe after the season Faneca had a team would want to pay him what the Jets have in him, but if anybody felt that had to have him, they could have done the deal themselves.

I was under the impression that he only needs to play in 33% of defensive plays to make it a 2nd rounder. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If it ends up being a 2nd rounder next year, that's more than we've given up for any player while Tanny has been in charge including Jenkins.

The word at the time of the trade was that it would be extremely difficult -almost impossible- for Sheppard to reach the incentives to push it to a #2. I haven't read the actual conditions, so I couldn't tell you for certain. But that's what was reported.

Football Scientist (or something like that) did some statistical analysis on him last year where he was absolutely horrible. Allowed a lot of completions for a lot of yards. I read it on this site, so maybe you can find it. On the other side of the field from Revis, he's going to see a lot of action - so we'll start to get a feel for what he can do pretty early on.

This thread was discussing a players value. So far Sheppard's only worth a fifth rounder. That's the best the Eagles could do after two years of trying to move him. I hope he looks more like the two time pro bowler in the prime of his career. Then we'll really have something - but he's gotta prove that on the field, first.

It's 85% of the plays AND the Jets have to decide to give him the extension.

So was Dwight Lowery...

Dwight Lowery was there because he was forced into the starting lineup. Sheldon Brown actually has the talent to be an effective #2 while Lowery is good for a back-up CB / S role with a spot starter effectiveness. AKA, Hank Poteat.

I hope Sheppard plays well enough that history doesn't repeat itself.

Pro Bowler in 2005 and 2007, 2007, you know, the year before this year when he was benched because of his contract demands NO OTHER REASON?

Lito is still a very, very good player.

The change of scenery is going to do wonders for him.

Link: Football Scientist: Assessing Lito Sheppard’s Decline

Excerpt:

"... Sheppard’s overall history says he tends to give up a lot of yards and his value is almost completely dependent on getting picks. Philadelphia let him go because the risk/reward ratio was on the wrong side of the ledger. Rex Ryan’s scheme may give Sheppard a much needed shot in the arm in this area, but if he doesn’t show some Lester Hayes-like hands early in 2009, don’t be surprised if Dwight Lowery and his 7.1 YPA find their way back into the Jets’ starting lineup."

Dwight Lowery was there because he was forced into the starting lineup. Sheldon Brown actually has the talent to be an effective #2 while Lowery is good for a back-up CB / S role with a spot starter effectiveness. AKA, Hank Poteat.

I'm just teasing, but he was also behind Joselio Hanson on the depth chart by the end of the season and for the record, Sheldon Brown was unhappy with the situation also. Somehow those guys managed not to suck last year. Hopefully the change of scenery will help, but even if Sheppard plays at a high level the chances are that he won't complete sixteen games. He is not the most durable dude out there.

And if thats the case that Lito misses a couple of games I think Lowery can step in and do a decent job for those games (hopefully no more than 2 or 3) with the pass rush that we are expected to bring now that we have a Defensive "guru" who doesn't believe in sending 4 guys from the same exact 3 ways the entire season.

I don't think so. The contract voids, but I'm pretty sure the voided years can be bought back. The fifth year can be bought back for around $5M. The sixth year was for a ton of money based on some crazy analysis. He won't just walk after four. Depending on the new CBA (if there is one) even the $10-13M of year six may be a bargain.

Year 6 could be as high as $15M in salary & workout bonus alone. His cap number would be a bit higher, as it would take SB/OB's into account.

It may not be as outrageous as that number is now, but I don't think that will be a bargain by 2012.

Year 6 could be as high as $15M in salary & workout bonus alone. His cap number would be a bit higher, as it would take SB/OB's into account.

It may not be as outrageous as that number is now, but I don't think that will be a bargain by 2012.

It could also be much lower. Maybe $9M. The franchise number for CBs is already around $10M, so that's nothing crazy. I think the purpose of the deal was to allow them to use the franchise on another player in that year. I think Ferguson's contract is up that year. I believe that's the why year 6 is structured that way.

It could also be much lower. Maybe $9M. The franchise number for CBs is already around $10M, so that's nothing crazy. I think the purpose of the deal was to allow them to use the franchise on another player in that year. I think Ferguson's contract is up that year. I believe that's the why year 6 is structured that way.

The lowest salary Revis could receive in 2012 is $11M. It would allow us to franchise Ferguson in 2012 and (though technically it's contract terms) franchise Revis as well.

It was still pretty stupid. 5 years/$12-13M total was the slotted contract. Instead, he gets either:

3 years, $16.66M (that he's received so far)

4 years, $17.31M (if he didn't get the $2.2M and $5.7M RB's in '08 and '09, he would have received a $7.9M RB in 2010)

5 years, $22.31M

6 years, $33.31M to $37.31M

So while it may prove to be "not outrageous" in that one season, we overpaid him by $10M more than we had to over the first 5 contract years of his rookie deal.

Archived