Giants have inquired about WR Braylon Edwards

faba

Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports There have been plenty of rumblings the Giants had talked with the Browns about a trade for their top wide receiver, Braylon Edwards. Those rumors had revolved around the Giants' sending defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka to Cleveland. I had heard nothing to substantiate the rumors, so I didn't mention them here.

But Ken Palmer of The Giant Insider reported today that, while the Giants never dangled Kiwanuka, they did inquire about Edwards.

To read the full story, you need a Scout.com subscription, but I've seen the full report and I'll tell you what Palmer's reporting:

The Giants offered the Browns the two draft picks they received from the Saints last year in exchange for TE Jeremy Shockey: a second-round pick and a fifth-rounder.

The Browns countered by asking for WR Steve Smith. The Giants said no.

The Giants then offered either of two other WRs: Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham. The Browns said no.

The talks died down after that last exchange, though they could pick up at draft time.

Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports There have been plenty of rumblings the Giants had talked with the Browns about a trade for their top wide receiver, Braylon Edwards. Those rumors had revolved around the Giants' sending defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka to Cleveland. I had heard nothing to substantiate the rumors, so I didn't mention them here.

But Ken Palmer of The Giant Insider reported today that, while the Giants never dangled Kiwanuka, they did inquire about Edwards.

To read the full story, you need a Scout.com subscription, but I've seen the full report and I'll tell you what Palmer's reporting:

The Giants offered the Browns the two draft picks they received from the Saints last year in exchange for TE Jeremy Shockey: a second-round pick and a fifth-rounder.

The Giants then offered either of two other WRs: Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham. The Browns said no.

The talks died down after that last exchange, though they could pick up at draft time.

The Browns wanted a 2nd and a 5th and Steve Smith for Braylon Edwards?

Hmmmm.

Nice to see that at least the Giants are trying to fill a position of need. I wonder if they've talked to Holt ? No draft choices involved there. :biggrin:

Part of the Giants' concerns are (or should be) that Braylon Edwards' contract is up after this year. In this market he'd probably get an $8M/yr contract.

He's been too shaky to give him that kind of money IMO, but in this market it's unlikely anyone could get him locked up for much less than that (and it could very well cost more).

Archived