2009/10 NCAA basketball Thread

SouthernJet

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply
G'town sucks? I don't agree with you there. Top ten team.

My point is we won last night because down the stretch Georgetown was not able to capitalize on several golden opportunities. As a team they missed I believe 7 or 8 of 10 free throws in the last 10 minutes of the game. Both our big men got fouled out, Wes was playing with four, Andy had four late... They missed a lot of free throws, missed a lot of open looks they should make, and thats why they lost. The way Cuse choked the last 10 mins or so of that game, GTown should have been able to win by a pretty comfortable margin.

My point is we won last night because down the stretch Georgetown was not able to capitalize on several golden opportunities. As a team they missed I believe 7 or 8 of 10 free throws in the last 10 minutes of the game. Both our big men got fouled out, Wes was playing with four, Andy had four late... They missed a lot of free throws, missed a lot of open looks they should make, and thats why they lost. The way Cuse choked the last 10 mins or so of that game, GTown should have been able to win by a pretty comfortable margin.

Comfortable margin??? Come on, man. They were down 23 in the second half.

Georgetown is a good team. They just match up horribly with Syracuse. That's all I'm taking away from the two meetings.

I saw what Georgetown can do to Villanova and Duke. They can hang with anyone in the country, probably except Syracuse.

I still believe they can make a run to the Elite Eight, and if the chips fall in the right place, possibly the FF. Having a PG like Wright and a big man like Monroe is a great asset.

Georgetown is a good team. They just match up horribly with Syracuse. That's all I'm taking away from the two meetings.

I saw what Georgetown can do to Villanova and Duke. They can hang with anyone in the country, probably except Syracuse.

I still believe they can make a run to the Elite Eight, and if the chips fall in the right place, possibly the FF. Having a PG like Wright and a big man like Monroe is a great asset.

If Syracuse finished the last 10 mins of the game with half the effort and concentration they had for the 1st 30, that would have never been a game. As a team, Syracuse committed 9 Turnovers, 6 fouls, allowed 5 offensive rebounds, shot a 20%ish fg percentage...lost their two big men and had to play a Frosh with no real game experience against one of the best post players in the Big East, all in the last 10 minutes...Wes Johnson, despite a great 1st half, was banged up and got in foul trouble, Andy was in foul trouble. Its not like Georgetown didnt have plenty of opportunities to take that game over. We're fortunate that they missed a crap-ton of free throws, open threes, and even some very makable "bunnies" in close or the result would have been much different.

Whether or not Georgetown is a good or great team against Villanova, Duke, or any other team in the nation is irrelevant to what I am talking about. Syracuse is a terrible match-up for them and Syracuse should beat them going away without looking back. We played like absolute trash the final quarter of that game and we are lucky GTown couldn't capitalize.

Why are you making excuses? This is why they play the games.

If Syracuse finished the last 10 mins of the game with half the effort and concentration they had for the 1st 30, that would have never been a game. As a team, Syracuse committed 9 Turnovers, 6 fouls, allowed 5 offensive rebounds, shot a 20%ish fg percentage...lost their two big men and had to play a Frosh with no real game experience against one of the best post players in the Big East, all in the last 10 minutes...Wes Johnson, despite a great 1st half, was banged up and got in foul trouble, Andy was in foul trouble. Its not like Georgetown didnt have plenty of opportunities to take that game over. We're fortunate that they missed a crap-ton of free throws, open threes, and even some very makable "bunnies" in close or the result would have been much different.

Whether or not Georgetown is a good or great team against Villanova, Duke, or any other team in the nation is irrelevant to what I am talking about. Syracuse is a terrible match-up for them and Syracuse should beat them going away without looking back. We played like absolute trash the final quarter of that game and we are lucky GTown couldn't capitalize.

Why are you making excuses? This is why they play the games.

Excuses? Where do you see an excuse? My whole point from the beginning is that we played like crap, and if Georgetown was able to take advantage of any of the opportunities Syracuse gave them in the final 10 mins of the game, GTown would have came away victorious. The way we played the last 10 minutes, we deserved to lose that game, and was honestly shocked we didn't.

It may happen, and it may not. If it does, I see Kentucky winning over Syracuse by 6+ points. What say you?

I say your wrong. I say Syracuse shoots the 3rd highest percentage from the field (54%) in the nation. I say Syracuse is also top 5 in Opponents FG% (38% I believe). Syracuse is top 5 in steals, and top 5 in assists.

I think Kentucky's biggest weakness is the outside shot. I think Syracuse's zone will give Kentucky fits. I think Kentucky is much less experienced than Syracuse, and are far more likely to let their emotions control them than Syracuse is. If the two teams are both healthy, I say Syracuse as a 10 point favorite on a neutral court.

It may happen, and it may not. If it does, I see Kentucky winning over Syracuse by 6+ points. What say you?

Disagree. Big time.

The zone would be a nightmare to the turnover prone 'Cats, and I think Wall would have a bad night.

Cousins wouldn't be able to dominate Rick Jackson and Arinze Onuaku. 'Cuse is one of the few teams that can probably really limit Cousins.

I think the Orange would win by double digits.

I say your wrong. I say Syracuse shoots the 3rd highest percentage from the field (54%) in the nation. I say Syracuse is also top 5 in Opponents FG% (38% I believe). Syracuse is top 5 in steals, and top 5 in assists.

I think Kentucky's biggest weakness is the outside shot. I think Syracuse's zone will give Kentucky fits. I think Kentucky is much less experienced than Syracuse, and are far more likely to let their emotions control them than Syracuse is. If the two teams are both healthy, I say Syracuse as a 10 point favorite on a neutral court.

Disagree. Big time.

The zone would be a nightmare to the turnover prone 'Cats, and I think Wall would have a bad night.

Cousins wouldn't be able to dominate Rick Jackson and Arinze Onuaku. 'Cuse is one of the few teams that can probably really limit Cousins.

I think the Orange would win by double digits.

Well we have all voiced our opinions here. Personally I think both of you are hitting the pipe a bit too often.

Sorry it looked like you were giving a lot of excuses for not blowing Georgetown out. Georgetown screwed themselves by getting behind by 23 and having to fight their way back.

I am still amazed how Rautins has become a stud.

Excuses? Where do you see an excuse? My whole point from the beginning is that we played like crap, and if Georgetown was able to take advantage of any of the opportunities Syracuse gave them in the final 10 mins of the game, GTown would have came away victorious. The way we played the last 10 minutes, we deserved to lose that game, and was honestly shocked we didn't.

Billy....why aren't you a Bearcats fan? ;)

Because I was born and raised in Northern Kentucky, 15 minutes south of Cincinnati. My dad was a huge Wildcats fan and I grew up watching them. That being said, I do have some love for UC, just not as much as I do for UK.

Sorry it looked like you were giving a lot of excuses for not blowing Georgetown out. Georgetown screwed themselves by getting behind by 23 and having to fight their way back.

I am still amazed how Rautins has become a stud.

I wasnt shocked at all by the beginning. Syracuse is an awful matchup for Georgetown... Last game they (Gtown) got off to a 14-0 lead.. After about 12 minutes of play that lead had vanished and was gone forever as Syracuse outscored them by 31 points since it was 14-0 and won by 17. Thats why I say Syracuse should have won that game the other day going away..By double digits without even looking back. As I said, if GTOWN didnt "suck" (aka if they HAD taken advantages of all the opportunities we gave them) we would have been looking at a loss, instead of a close win which we didnt deserve the way we played the last 10 minutes.

They did hang w/ Syracuse. They can hang w/ anyone at HOME, they are a different team away from home. That was a good win for SU. Wins in games like that don't always have to be pretty. You held on in a touhg place to win this year.

I see the KU vs. SU arguments, I don't think your teams will play b/c they will both be 1 seeds and I don't think either will make the FF. I think this tourney is going to be crazy, as wide open as we have seen in a long time and I think there will be alot of upsets. I wouldn't be shocked if we had one or no top seeds reach Indy. Just a strange feeling I have.

They did hang w/ Syracuse. They can hang w/ anyone at HOME, they are a different team away from home. That was a good win for SU. Wins in games like that don't always have to be pretty. You held on in a touhg place to win this year.

I see the KU vs. SU arguments, I don't think your teams will play b/c they will both be 1 seeds and I don't think either will make the FF. I think this tourney is going to be crazy, as wide open as we have seen in a long time and I think there will be alot of upsets. I wouldn't be shocked if we had one or no top seeds reach Indy. Just a strange feeling I have.

So what would be your final four? Or, who do you think are the four teams most likely to make it without seeing a bracket yet?

So what would be your final four? Or, who do you think are the four teams most likely to make it without seeing a bracket yet?

obviously these are subject to change. I'd favor KU, UK, SU and Purdue right now and they'd be #1 seeds as of today but I just get a feeling we'll see a wide open tourney.

I don't love UK in the Tourney b/c this will be the first time for many of their players, I think they are a year away but unfortunately for them they won't get a chance a year from now as most of those guys will be in the NBA.

I know we battled back and forth on this but I never trust Boheim teams w/ high expectations in the Tourney. I hope for you guys I am wrong.

I like Purdue, KU, MSU and texas as of today. MSU and Texas have struggled but I think they both have all he ingredients and at least w/ MSU they have a great Tourney coach.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see a team like a Vandy make a run to the FF.

UCUNNT is back.

They are playing better but it's not a big deal beating an overrated WVU team that struggles away from home. They have enough big wins beating UT, 'Nova and WVU BUT they still have work to do being under .500 in the BE and:

-UT was in the midst of losing 3 of 4 games and have gone 4-6 in their last 10.

-Nova has lost 2 straight and 3 of their last 5

-WVU doesn't have a single quality win away from home and they only have 2 wins against ranked teams all year both coming at home.

They are playing better but it's not a big deal beating an overrated WVU team that struggles away from home. They have enough big wins beating UT, 'Nova and WVU BUT they still have work to do being under .500 in the BE and:

-UT was in the midst of losing 3 of 4 games and have gone 4-6 in their last 10.

-Nova has lost 2 straight and 3 of their last 5

-WVU doesn't have a single quality win away from home and they only have 2 wins against ranked teams all year both coming at home.

While, what you say its true, that same argument can be made for any impressive win that any team has. You can look at it the way you are, or you can say Uconn has now won 3 straight since Calhoun's return... Including two against top 10 opponents in WVU and Nova. The fact that losing to Uconn contributed to their losing streaks is not very fair to UConn, in my opinion.

While, what you say its true, that same argument can be made for any impressive win that any team has. You can look at it the way you are, or you can say Uconn has now won 3 straight since Calhoun's return... Including two against top 10 opponents in WVU and Nova. The fact that losing to Uconn contributed to their losing streaks is not very fair to UConn, in my opinion.

Actually Calhoun returned for their loss at home vs. Cincy, they won 3 straight after that. if they keep winning they'll make the Tourney. You couldn't ask for a much easier 3 game stretch to end the season- vs. UL, at ND and at USF. if they don't win those they don't belong in the tourney.

Too bad UCONN can't play their last 3 games in the ACC. :Nuts:

Actually Calhoun returned for their loss at home vs. Cincy, they won 3 straight after that. if they keep winning they'll make the Tourney. You couldn't ask for a much easier 3 game stretch to end the season- vs. UL, at ND and at USF. if they don't win those they don't belong in the tourney.

UNC can't beat BC on the road. All three of the teams below are better than BC.

ND lost to Loyola Marymount, Rutgers and SJU at home

USF lost to Cent. Michigan and SJU at home

UL lost to Charlotte and Western Carolina

I think the Heels would have a great shot against those teams.

ND lost to Rutgers at Rutgers.

BC lost to St. Joes, N. Iowa, Harvard, Rhode Island and Maine.

UNC would have a shot to beat them, just like College of Charleston did to beat them.

ND lost to Loyola Marymount, Rutgers and SJU at home

USF lost to Cent. Michigan and SJU at home

UL lost to Charlotte and Western Carolina

I think the Heels would have a great shot against those teams.

Archived